Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 18 year old gets 10 years for sex with 15 year old!!!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yendor65
Msg: 101
18 year old gets 10 years for sex with 15 year old!!!!Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I didn't read the entire thread but what I did read represents a lot of confusion about minors and sex. Whether or not she is a minor is irrelevant. What does matter is the "age of consent" laws for where she lives.

For example: The legal age of consent in Texas is age 17. She is a MINOR. However, she can have sex with anyone she pleases so long as they are also of legal age of consent. That means Grandpa can have sex with a 17 year old and there isn't a darned thing you can do about it.
 TheDevilsAdvocate
Msg: 102
18 year old gets 10 years for sex with 15 year old!!!!
Posted: 6/24/2005 11:42:42 AM

Sounds a bit fishy, The age of consent is 14, and under canadian law 10 years is very unlikely, check your source. was this in the states?

That's what I said - But I looked it up in one of my old legal texts (which is strange for an 18 year old to have, but meh), and even in 1981 in Canada, the longest sentence you'd get for someone who was 15 was 5 years imprisionment. I doubt that the case is THAT old, so it definitely couldnt have been in Canada.

My 18 year old Father married my 16 year old mother.....the sick **stard!!

Seeing as how you're 35 years old, if your parents had you the second they got married, your mother would have been 16 in 1970, no? In 1981, under Section 146.2 of the Criminal Code, if they were married, sexual relations between the two would have been completely acceptable, and the legal age for consent was 16. The only way he would have been convicted of anything was if she said that he seduced her and that she was chaste before meeting your father (under Section 151 of the CC). If she could prove her chastity before his "seduction," and he was subsequently convicted, he would have gotten up to two years imprisionment.

Just some facts for your perusal.

Maria XOXO
 SimpsonFan
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/24/2005 11:44:07 AM
Why does the devil need an advocate?

Signed,
Anti-devil's advocate!
 TheDevilsAdvocate
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/24/2005 11:46:53 AM
*winks* I'd be pleased to give you answers to your inquiry should you message me - it isnt related to the topic and threads arent to be used as chatrooms.

OT: Read above.

Maria XOXO/ sub-mod
 DreamWarrior
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/24/2005 11:49:36 AM
Devils' Advocate

actually I was just commenting on some of the people here who are touting the if he's 18 and she's 15 or 16...then he should rot in jail......if that's the case now why would it be different when the law was different?........is it any less immoral (speaking to the aforementioned touters..not you) then, as opposed to now just because the laws have changed.....

Oh and my parents had me 14 years after they got married....your point's still valid obviously....
 freespirit9931
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:04:20 PM
Either way it should be classified as rape. Although, young girls are alot easier than they were 20 yrs ago.
I'm originally from Canada and I know someone there who was 16 and got in trouble over a 13 yr old. He got 5 yrs probation, no contact with any girls under 16 and 18 mths in jail.
IMO although illegal, every circumstance is different, and it is not always the guys fault.
Girls these days tend to lie and are very good at manipulation, alot better than I was at 13. Before 18 the last thing on my mind was boys and sex, I was too busy partying, going to school and working. Alot of girls these days seem to be out to trap boys too, oops I'm pregnant now you gotta stay with me.
If both parties are over 12 I don't think either should be to blame. You can't rape the willing!!!!
 mister_nice_guy
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:12:21 PM
Maria's post is the only one on this thread I've read, where it seems the person writing the text knows what their talking about. Check search engines. Yahoo! Canada for example, and search for the CURRENT legal age of consentual sex. As Maria said, it clearly states it's 14. HOWEVER, the parents also are required by law to know (apparently). Basically, the guy made a mistake, did anyone watch the case? Or read the after-action brief? The summary of the trial? Or is pretty much everyone in here basing their arguments on personal opinions and not actual fact? There's a lot of things that could have contributed to his getting 10 years. Hense why lawyers try to trap witnesses/accused/accuser. To either try to shift the blame, or remove guilt entirely. Maria knows what she's talking about, noone's saying that it's RIGHT for an 18 yr old to have sex with a 15 yr old, consentual or not. Some are just stating that it's nothing worth nearly 10 years. Besides, he'll likely be paroled in 4-5. Hell, I'll be some people here would argue that age difference means **** all if you're in Love. Others will argue that "people this age don't know love" well tell you the truth, noone knows when the mind is capable of interpreting different levels of love. So keep comments like "they're too young to know love" to yourself, just because you failed to fall in love at that age, doesn't mean you need to push your ideals on other peoples. That's all I have to say, personally, I'm sitting on the fence for this one. Thank you ladies and gentleman for taking time to read what I have to say. Have a nice day. :D
 freespirit9931
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:18:16 PM
@misterniceguy
I agree with you.
My problem with the entire thing is that girls today are manipulative and will lie if it means getting what they want. Babies seem to be something that is used to trap men these days.
Both parties are to blame these days, and although it is wrong IMO the boys should not be held responsible. Also in Canada it is 16 not 14, been there, been through that.
 Diggy03
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:22:30 PM
freespirit..

They changed it from 16 to 14 a few years ago.. I think in like 2002 0r 2003. It IS 14... my step sister is 14 and my mom called CAS to inquire about the age of consent as my mother was worried about her being sexually active. The age of consent is 14 years of age.

OT: Regardless.... I don't think all the answers to explain why he got 10 years explain the title. It doesn't make sense.
 yendor65
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:30:18 PM
www.ageofconsent.com
 TheDevilsAdvocate
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:40:22 PM

The Criminal Code states that a person between 14 and 17 can consent to sexual activity as long as: no relationship of trust, authority or dependency exists; there is no payment or offer of payment for sex; and there is no anal sex.- Jan. 18, 2002

http://temagami.carleton.ca/jmc/cnews/18012002/n4.shtml

Check it out.

Maria XOXO
 Truebeautycomeswithin
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/11/2005 12:02:21 PM
Men and women lusting at younger children are just plain sick to me.I can see if the child lied about there age,but some of these men and women know the children age and still continue to sleep with these young innocent children.I say that is sick and lower then low.
 Canadian_Hottie_30
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/11/2005 12:13:25 PM
If the sex was consentual, than 10 years is HORRENDOUS! I mean....would it have been different if one was 19, and the other was 17?

When I was 17, I dated someone for a year, that was 24.......I don't think my parents considered JAILING the poor guy! Good grief!
 love269
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/13/2005 3:34:22 PM
I know most of you are posting from Canada and I don't know the laws there, but here in the states the age of consent is 17. I joke often used to encourage males to avoid sex with a minor is "16 will get you 20" (as in years in jail). My feeling is that if the two are close in age and one just entered into adulthood, some reasonableness must come into play with sentencing.

Now for one to get 10 years as posted here for having sex with a minor, I have to seriously question if we have all the facts or extenuating circumstances that would have brought about such a sentencing. I don't think we have, so I sit on the fence here because I don't have all the important components to the case to make a judgment of any kind about it.
 Passionate Artist
Msg: 115
Posted: 8/13/2005 3:37:16 PM
Good!!!!
18 year old's have no business having sex with a 15 year old. Hope he rots and he's lucky it wasn't one of my daughters.
 trvlingman
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/13/2005 3:37:50 PM
who gives a shit if she,s a minor.
I thought in the states ( Im asuming) you werent legal till your 21

I mean 18 and 15. ok its kinda weird. but 10 years.

thats a travesty
 4afriend
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/13/2005 3:55:58 PM
Well then if he was a star Football Player then he obviously should be excused no matter what he's done. Waht the hell would the world do without an overabundance of illeducated, self centered morons who molest children. If it were my daughter you'd be able to find me in the " Incarcerated" seeking conjugal visit thread, and our poor stars career would be a distant memory with that goalpost up his ass and through his face. Wise the hell up.
 Passionate Artist
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/13/2005 4:29:42 PM
I was just at the Department of Justice Cananda website. I was amazed that the legal age of consent was 14. An adult can have sex with a 14 year old legally. I also read that the present law on sexual assault in Canada under the Criminal Code of Canada is

Sexual assault:

271. (1) Every one who commits a sexual assault is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

So the max a person can get for a sexual assault is only 10 years. That's foul should be life. Then if that isn't bad enough I read this.

Sexual assault with a weapon, threats to a third party or causing bodily harm:

272. (1) Every person commits an offence who, in committing a sexual assault,

(a) carries, uses or threatens to use a weapon or an imitation of a weapon;

(b) threatens to cause bodily harm to a person other than the complainant;

(c) causes bodily harm to the complainant; or

(d) is a party to the offence with any other person.

Punishment:

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable

(a) where a firearm is used in the commission of the offence, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of four years; and

(b) in any other case, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

So the max sentence in sexual assault with a weapon is 14 years. How the hell can this be? It would seem to me if anyone did anything of this nature it should be punishable by life in prison. We the people of Canada need to make changes in these laws and make the punishments unbareably harsh.
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/13/2005 4:30:02 PM
I'm sorry but a minor is a minor. Anyone 18 or older has no business being with a minor. There are very few people 13 or older that don't know the ramifications of sex with a minor. What ever excuse you may think up it is still wrong and I would just about guarentee the individuals involved knew it. Consenting or not someone 17 or younger has no business being involved with someone 18 or older. If this individual was such a stand up guy he could have waited until she became of legal age. It does make you wonder where her parents were. I have 2 daughters 15 and 17 and they know well they are not allowed to date anyone 18 or older. As a guy I know very well what a teen males agenda is bar none I was one. I have taken great pains to explain this to my kids. I have no sorrow for someone that decides to think the laws about this don't pertain to them. Reality is if you ignore the 18 year old supposed football star with the promising futures indescretion you have to ignore the indescretions of others as well. It amazes me how some people think just because a person has a great life they are somehow to be held to a different standard. Would you be concerned about the 18 year old crack addicted thug who truly fell in love with a 14 year old. I would be equally concerned. I don't care if she was an absolute slut that banged everyone she bumped into, you know the laws, we all do.
 worstguyonhere
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/13/2005 4:54:57 PM
Retroactive abortion is a term that comes to mind.
 bugsybears
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:14:12 PM
well i look at it this way, it doesn't matter that there was only 3 years between them. she was under age and that is all there is to it. just because he was a jock, doesn't put him above the law. some believe that laws are made to be broken. didn't work out so well for him. i don't feel sorry for him. the law is the law.
 Flying_frog
Msg: 122
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:18:51 PM
I thought the law was more tolerant than that...
 aradienne
Msg: 123
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:30:54 PM
My son was 18 for four months before his girl friend turned 18. They'd dated for a year before and continued to be together for two more years.

Assuming the law actually was directed at minors of any age, and not the age of consent....should he have stopped being with her for those 4 months, or been jailed for 10 years by continuing to be with her? How ridiculous.

"If I had a kid" and "when my kids get that age" are just something to think about until you actually get there. And "my kids will NEVER" will come back to haunt you!
 sunfishone2001
Msg: 124
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:32:50 PM
I don't understand these people who think that 13 year olds are just kids, and not smart enough to deal with sex. That is a retarded argument because people make stupid decisions about sex and relationships throughout their whole damn lives, even in their late years!! The list of stupid men and women having sex, children and relationships goes on and on and never ends. I don't think 13 year olds are too young to have sex. And I don't think that 18 year olds ("ADULTS" are really much more mature than a 13 year old)

**** I wish I had sex when I was 13..... the mystery and allure of sex wouldn't have had such power over me. It wouldn't have seemed like such an unattainable feat. I wouldn't be as ****ed up as I am now, I bet. Sex is the greatest over rated hype in the history of the universe! I think the earlier you have sex, the earlier you realize the useless hype.

A lot of European countries have the right idea. 13 is a perfectly fine age to have sex. Afterall, most are in puberty by then. It is against nature to tell people its not ok to have sex at that age.
 dreaminuvya
Msg: 125
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:37:34 PM
It's the age of the girl that's the issue. Whether the guy is 16 or 36, he's still having sex with a minor. Why would it be okay for her to have consentual sex with an 18 year old and not someone older? People will prosecute like hell if an older guy has consentsual sex with a young girl, but if it's young Billy from next door, well, that's just fine with them. What a load of crap.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 18 year old gets 10 years for sex with 15 year old!!!!