Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Other Sheep      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chinua
Msg: 51
Other SheepPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
what about the sheep dog??
I refuse to be a sheep...........I've got a mind of my own
 Layneebaby
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 2/24/2007 7:20:17 PM
Jesus didn't say everyone... he said sheep. Sheep are so that they need to be protected... they are vulnerable. Not everyone is vulnerable. So some people believe that they don't need to turn to the King of Heaven and his angels for protection. Some choose to go the other way. And that is fine. That is their choice. By their choice, they may not exist in God's heavenly kingdom once they pass on... but that is fine. God's heavenly kingdom is probably a more peaceful place without them.

Not to say that people who don't trust in the King of Heaven do not have an afterlife... who on this earth really knows what happens to them? Myself, even though I believe in Jesus, and consider myself one of his "sheep," does not mean that I am against people who do not. I strongly try to follow the, "Love the Lord God with all thy heart and soul, and Love thy neighbor as thyself," approach. The Bible does not teach, "Curse all who don't agree with you."

Jesus has sheep everywhere. Not every one belongs to him, but every place has someone who does.
 SteveHD
Msg: 53
Other Sheep
Posted: 2/26/2007 5:57:01 AM

Jesus referred to Himself as the Good Shepherd and to His followers as His sheep.

That's because sheep are domesticated and can't take care of themselves in the wilderness, but instead need people. Sheep-people are similar in that they need someone to tell them how to live.

It feels like that knowledge would be a key to greater understanding if we could but lay it bare and free it from centuries of dogma.

Well, it may help to find a plain ole Bible...not a study Bible, not a Bible that has verses referencing other verses, or a Bible with footnotes. Find a plain ole' Bible with only what is suppose to be the Word in it.

Start reading for yourself and sort out what you feel is right and what is wrong. Yes I know that everything in the Bible is TRUE TRUE TRUE, but Jesus isn't getting up in the morning and working our jobs or paying our bills. Thanks for the big showy statement of cruxifiction, but Religion treats that debt the same way credit card companies charge interest.

Once you get your head back on straight with what you believe, start looking at the History OF the Bible, not the history IN the Bible.

Good luck
 bcdale42
Msg: 54
Other Sheep
Posted: 2/26/2007 11:19:50 AM
Jesus is the good shepherd. there are many shepherds. with many flocks. but, these shepherds are the teachers of the word. people like pastors and such. you say, "well, these men are flesh and bone". what is Jesus? he is the fullness of the God.. so flesh yes. so what is the confusion. it all makes sence. just don't try reading into it what isn't there..
 MY OH MY
Msg: 55
Other Sheep
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:21:10 AM
Won't date a sheep, can't make me.
 chelloveck
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 12/30/2007 3:38:10 PM
This thread reminds me of a song lyric by Cake....."Sheep go to heaven" and of course, goats go to hell. As I am a Capricorn, I guess I know where I am predestined to go.
 Midnight_Lightning
Msg: 57
Other Sheep
Posted: 12/30/2007 3:47:54 PM
"He Walked the Americas" by L Taylor Hansen)

There are a lot of legends that tell of a "prophet" that taught throughout the continents of North and South America.

http://www.geocities.com/willow1d/amer.html
 bear45408
Msg: 58
Other Sheep
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:06:58 AM

And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. John 10:16 KJV
Despite the OP's stated intent that this thread was about tolerance, the verse fron John is about evangalism. And so the thread tended in that direction.

As a Jew, I don't agree. You folks are welcome to your religion. I'm fine with mine. It would be nice if you could respect that, instead of constantly looking at Judaism as simply a predecessor religion to Christianity. It continues as a separate path to God.

John, a Jew himself, somehow took it upon himself to widen the split between early Christians and Jews. Naturally, we can't go back and ask why, but I've always wondered.
 Libertine154
Msg: 59
Other Sheep
Posted: 12/31/2007 2:06:50 PM
I was raised a Baptist, but I have since converted to a less traditional faith.;)

The former-Xian in me remembers the whole sheep metaphor as it goes along with the "Great Commission." Be of one flock=all must become Xians. I no longer buy into that, btw, but I know many people do.
 Nergal
Msg: 60
Other Sheep
Posted: 12/31/2007 6:56:46 PM
I just believe that the gods went out and got drunk. One of them happened to bump into some mortal on the way home and got yapping.

Mortal: ' So which one of the gods are you then?

The god in question : ' Theres only me all the other guys work for me as Angels and bottle washers.'

So the whole one god option comes out of : one god, a lot of drink, and a whole lot of ego.
 MrBad_Kitty
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 1/1/2008 7:14:26 PM
one shepherd to bind them, one shepherd to rule them all.
 Raveninns
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:05:50 AM

"I have other sheep which are not of this fold, but they'll all be brought together into one fold".

I actually liked this quote, but had to see in which context it was given, so I read the whole chapter.

I actually liked what I saw!!!

lol, since others feel free to interpret this book as they wish, then I'm going to indulge too....For me, this quote tells me that all are His, no-one is lost. The sheep that are already His, well, he's content knowing that they "get" His message of *Love*. But this passage goes on to say that His message will be heard by all.

As I believe that Jesus was a messenger, and His Father is everyone's Father, what a wonderful message! I look at this in the sense that everyone, oneday, will understand that doing unto others is the only sane, rational way to conduct your life...the "other sheep" who are understood not to be Christian will agree with the essential message.

I am not in any way, shape or form implying that everyone will be Christians. FAR FROM IT. What I am saying is that there will come a time where everyone will understand that we are all in this together, whether we be sheep, bears, ravens, wolves, all of us.

He further tells us that we are all gods. Smart dude.

Cheers, Raven
 Artz
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:10:24 AM
I just might be an Aardvark
 Raveninns
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:46:30 AM
Sheesh, I should know better than to list animals, cos there'll always be somebody I'll miss....

Thinking that the Creator has a special place for the comics on this earth, cos the aardvarks are s'pecially odd. From wiki.....

Genetically speaking, the Aardvark is a living fossil, as its chromosomes are highly conserved, reflecting much of the early eutherian arrangement before the divergence of the major modern mammalian taxa.[2]

An Aardvark drawingThe Aardvark is vaguely pig-like

Cheers, Raven
 selbesyn
Msg: 65
Other Sheep
Posted: 3/27/2008 10:13:51 PM
huckfinnsr :
The little flock- “Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of giving you the kingdom.”—LUKE 12:32. Jesus was speaking to his disciples, and he called them a “little flock.” He was also speaking to those to whom God would ‘give the kingdom.’ Compared with the vast crowds that would accept Jesus in later times, this group were few in number. They were also considered precious because they were chosen for a remarkable future, to be used in royal service. The followers of Jesus Christ who receive an anointing with holy spirit make up the little flock. (Acts 2:1-4) Seeing them as heavenly singers with harps in their hands, the apostle John wrote: “I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads. These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins. These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb, and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish.”—Revelation 14:1, 4, 5. Revelation 7:2-4 The resurrection hope entertained by the little flock is unique. It precedes the general resurrection of “the righteous and the unrighteous.” (Acts 24:15) Actually, the resurrection of the anointed falls into a certain order of importance, as is clearly established by these words found at 1 Corinthians 15:20, 23: “Christ has been raised up from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep in death. But each one in his own rank: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who belong to the Christ during his presence.” 1 Corinthians 15:51-53
Other sheep- John 10:1-18 The other sheep in the time of the end were prophesied to grow to be “a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues. Revelation 7:9; 14:15, 16; Psalm 37:29.

Hope this helps some.
 southernlass
Msg: 66
Other Sheep
Posted: 3/28/2008 12:01:27 AM
I think the following really expands on this topic and shows how it is possible that those of other religious beliefs could eventually be incorporated into one flock, if they so desire to be. I firmly believe they will be given this opportunity at some point in the future.

"When Jesus said in John 10:16 And Other Sheep I have,which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be One Fold, and One Shepherd.

Most people think that Jesus will be gathering other Christians from different churches worldwide, but my impression from scriptures is that the Lord of All will be composing His bride from all other religions worldwide and not just from Christian churches. but He will gather from all nationalities and tribes, so why not from all religions as well. He sees the heart and soul and motivation of all, so why wouldn't He choose those that choose peace and love and respect even though they hadn't as yet had a chance to choose Him yet. Why wouldn't the common Creator of All people, be fair and let these that didn't know Him have a chance to KNOW Him and become part of His Encampment and Gathering in the Last Days.

Won't He be gathering tham from around the world, as it says in all the Last Gathering Verses. And if they pass His Entrance Test, who are we to say they aren't part of us. And if he can choose Jews with a good heart and Muslims with good hearts, and Buddists with good hearts, why wouldn;t he also be able to choose Pagans with a good heart and even witches and warlocks with good hearts. If any of these of other religions have not made their final decison in accepting the evil One, why couldn't the Lord of Lords allow them the chance to choose HIM and His LOVE, rather than the Hell on Earth that the evil One will bring.

For did Not Saul who became Paul convert from his persecuting ways and murderous ways to join the Lord's people. And if others merely have a different doctrine, right now, can we exclude them completely and forever as being reprobate, when they might not have made their final choice as yet.

Are we not suppose to be tolerant with them and still try to win them until the seals are given and the MARK has been established. Can not pagans and even witches be part of the Lord's bride if they come to Him even just before the End. Are we any better than they ? Are we any better than the Jews, who as a group have still not accepted their Messiah ? Are we better than the Muslims, who as a group still haven't submitted to the true God ? For what is our righteousness anyway ?

It's only the righteousness of the Lord !! So in my opinion, any person could be our future brethren in the Lord, and we therefore have to watch out how we treat them as they may become our brethren in the future."

http://www.geocities.com/davidjayjordan/Whoaretheothersheep.html
 Raveninns
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 3/28/2008 12:16:54 AM

He sees the heart and soul and motivation of all, so why wouldn't He choose those that choose peace and love and respect

Yes! YES!!!

But you lost me here...

even though they hadn't as yet had a chance to choose Him yet.

I choose His message, but not the dogma. Does that exclude a bunch of folks?

But then, oh, how very uplifting....

And if they pass His Entrance Test, who are we to say they aren't part of us. And if he can choose Jews with a good heart and Muslims with good hearts, and Buddists with good hearts, why wouldn;t he also be able to choose Pagans with a good heart and even witches and warlocks with good hearts.

This is where I do agree. What is written in our hearts is what matters, not Who said it. Thanks for that.

Cheers, Raven
 joyce29
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 4/21/2008 9:21:56 PM
The other sheep that Jesus refers to are the Gentiles as opposed to the Jews. The Mormons think that the other sheep are the Mormons in the Americas, but that couldn't be further from the truth since Jesus never walked in the Americas.
 emma_2
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 6/6/2009 5:59:48 PM
sheep needs a herder...igotta pup thats waitin!....LOL
 chelloveck
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 6/6/2009 8:50:08 PM
The thing to remember is that relatively few sheep live to an old age as pets or as rural lawnmowers......most have an appointment at an abbatoir.....sure they pass through the abattoir to the other side...but as sausages and other cuts of meat. I wonder if God also inspired another book "How to Serve Man"?

<div class="quote">sheep needs a herder

Some sheep farmers have found that donkeys make very suitable shepherds (low maintenance, have no special dietary requirements, and don't get on the grog and sleep on the job, and the sheep feel very comfortable being led by a donkey)

<div class='quote'>http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/03/nyregion/follow-up-on-the-news-using-donkeys-as-shepherds.html?n=Top%2FNews%2FScience%2FTopics%2FAnimals
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 71
Other Sheep
Posted: 6/10/2009 4:46:58 PM
And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. John 10:16 KJV

Anybody care to run with that?

As I pointed out on another thread, the hearing of the voice of Jesus requires the understanding of the metaphors he was using. He knew that once his words were translated, may more would hear him. Those who spoke other languages and could comprehend the metaphors would be his "other sheep."

Those who cannot "hear" the metaphors are deaf.

Those who cannot "see" the significance are blind.

Unless of course you don't think he used any metaphors, and was talking about little furry mammals?
 emma_2
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:17:20 PM
Sure would be nice to know what the h-e double hockey sticks you mean...LOL
 themadfiddler
Msg: 73
Other Sheep
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:41:08 PM

Modern day translation

This could be construed as many church denominations with true believers in them. They will come out if they hunger (hear) for more than they are getting. In the end times we know the great harlot will fall (church denominations) and jesus will have his true flock.

Sure would be nice to know what the h-e double hockey sticks you mean...LOL

It's simple. It means they think they know who "true Christians" are and are not...meaning everyone who worships like them is a "true Christian" and everyone else is not. It is a variation of the famous "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy and also a way of stating "exclusivity of truth" which as the poster is clearly not aware, is against the rules on the PoF Religion forum...not surprisingly, just about every post the poster has made breaks this rule and they have been reported to the moderators for it.

It's the kind of utterance made by egomaniacs, kooks and fanatics who think their interpretation of scripture is the solely correct one, that they know the "mind of God" and that all others are lost. As we know from history, that kind of thinking is a prelude to gathering in a secret location and drinking poisoned Kool-aid.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 74
Other Sheep
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:46:37 PM
It's simple. It means they think they know who "true Christians" are and are not...meaning everyone who worships like them is a "true Christian" and everyone else is not. It is a variation of the famous "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy and also a way of stating "exclusivity of truth" which as the poster is clearly not aware, is against the rules on the PoF Religion forum..

I was stating case in point:

Many times when Jesus used metaphor in a parable, he ended it with:

"For those who have ears to hear, let them hear" or something of that nature.

Read the text, and figure out the metaphors for yourself, and not like a trained disciple of the whore. You probably will not subscribe to Christian Dogma, or look for the "One true Church" but for the remnant of the prophecy and will seek the location which is referred to in the Book of Daniel.
 emma_2
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Other Sheep
Posted: 6/15/2009 9:13:30 PM
"exclusivity of truth" ..." It's the kind of utterance made by egomaniacs, kooks and fanatics who think their interpretation of scripture is the solely correct one, that they know the "mind of God" and that all others are lost. As we know from history, that kind of thinking is a prelude to gathering in a secret location and drinking poisoned Kool-aid" yeah...my point exactly!
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Other Sheep