Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating a Religious Zealot is a challenge      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pink2U
Msg: 126
Dating a Religious Zealot is a challengePage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Hmmmmmm Let me pray on that one Ooooops!!!
 JPubLLC
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Dating a Religious Zealot is a challenge
Posted: 9/12/2008 8:24:00 PM
Yes. Let us pray........

May the 70 virgins that Allah will bless me with in heaven be FEMALES, and may they finally "give it up" when I get there. (Actually, if we are talking eternity, I'll take a couple cute "open minded girls" over the 70 virgins if he doesn't mind.)

May people STOP praying for their favorite team to win the Series, or pray to win the lottery, etc., so Jesus can spend time working on those pesky hurricanes, and all those babies suffering from starvation and disease.

May people who believe that "my God is better than your God", stop killing each other just to try and prove it, and one day just say to themselves "believe what you want. I won't kill you over it". (I don't see that happening, but we can always hope.)

That is my prayer for today. That the Earth, and my children, may survive and religious fanatics don't start a war that will end life as we know it because they think their God has bigger "junk" than someone else's God .

Let's save the pissing contests for drunk guys at Spring Break, where it belongs!

p.s. - May the Church of Scientology NOT sue me or have thier goons stalk me, my home, and my family for all eternity, just so they can keep raking in the cash. Praise Lord Xenu, and his second in command, Tom Cruise.

Jeff

supernovastunnah
Msg: 128
Posted: 9/12/2008 8:48:04 PM
dating a religious zealot is for the challenged.
 JPubLLC
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 9:11:55 PM
I just got several messages about "God", and how I am "evil", etc....

I am NOT going to answer each ridiculous comment indiviually, so let me make myself very clear.

This is America, and everyone has the right to believe in whatever they like without fear of retribution (except of course for the "witches" who were burned at the stake, or the slaves who were considered "PROPERTY" by the Bible, etc..."), but don't you DARE to take my tax dollars to fund your imaginary friend (or friends, depending on what you happen to believe).

If you feel good about having an invisible friend in the sky, then good for you. But DON'T make ME pay for it through my taxes, or some ridiculous laws passed by the government.

Keep your religion, let your religion make you happy, teach it to your family, but don't make ME pay for it!

How would YOU feel if I asked you to spend your tax dollars to fund my invisible fire-breathing , flying dragon, who tells me the correct way to live my life? NO, you wouldn't like it! And you would have every reason not to like it.

I won't make you pay, NOR will I try to make laws or sneak in legislature to make you pay for the invisible friend who nobody can see, so don't make me do that for yours, and DON'T try to make me pray to your invisible buddy. Keep him to yourself unless someone wants to learn about your invisible friend.

Rachelle~C
Msg: 130
Posted: 9/12/2008 9:50:47 PM
^^^Right there is why I could never date an atheist. They may be telling you that they respect your beliefs , but deep down,and it always comes out, they are all simmering in anger and will mock and snear at your beliefs. Leave the religious people to the religious people. Stop trying to date them to change them, because atheist will try and convert you as much as radical bible thumping christians will. If you are not a religious person then don't date a religious person. See how easy that was ? Really simple right?
 MissEmpress
Msg: 131
Posted: 9/12/2008 10:49:53 PM
Um wow...okay religious zealots are bad but people who are anti-religious zealots are equally as bad. i.e. JPubLLC.

Everyone is free to believe what they want, like what they want, prefer what they prefer but disrespecting others is not cool.
 JPubLLC
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 12:16:49 AM
"Right there is why I could never date an atheist. They may be telling you that they respect your beliefs , but deep down,and it always comes out, they are all simmering in anger and will mock and snear at your beliefs."

Let me assure you I have nothing "simmering". You may have to convince yourself that somehow there are people who don't believe what you do because they merely want to "mock and snear" at your beliefs, but that is something you have to deal with on your own. If I wanted to mock you, I would talk about how you have no respect for those, including atheists, who have a different viewpoint than you do, but yet you excpect people to respect your beliefs.

It works boths ways. The Bible doesn't teach much on being kind, as most of it has violence, non-tolerance of others, and vengance, but as an atheist, we do what we feel is morally right as opposed to what the Bible seems to think is morally right, such as stoning unruly children to death, and killing women who are not properly obeying their spouses. I prefer to do what I think is kind and loving, rather than something from a book that teaches violences and death to someone who's sexual orientation may be different than anothers. Call me crazy!

Not that I have to make it public, but I was a religious person for over 30 years, and I studied the Bible and served my church for over 20 years. I was, and still legally am, an ordained minister for the past 8 years. That's more than some people who consider themselves "religious" have ever been close.

I've found it's people who "think" they know the Bible who actually know the least about it, and those who have actually studies it, are often the ones who realize how silly it really is. If you want to discuss it in an intelligent manner, email me. I don't wish to get into a public conversation with someone who only has a general sense of what the Bible stands for, yet has the nerve to tell me what my feelings are. That's not only arrogant, but it shows a lack of understanding and a lack of the very respect that you seem to think the Bible teaches.

I have no problem discussing it with you, but at least have a basic knowledge of religion, other than what you may hear television preachers holler out to get cash before you jump into a serious discussion.
 Rachelle~C
Msg: 133
Posted: 9/13/2008 12:28:37 AM

Let me assure you I have nothing "simmering".

Wow seriously you don't see it. That tirade in your last post was evidence enough of your simmering anger that boiled right over.

You may have to believe that to convince yourself that somehow there are people who don't believe what you do, but that is something you have to deal with on your own.

I don't have to believe anything , however there are things that I "choose" to believe. I know there are people who don't believe as I do sweets! I don't have any problem with others beliefs. I can be friends with anyone , but build a life and get married to ,uhh no you need to have all your major beliefs in common or it's not going to work.

Work on your anger love. It's really bad for the body.
 JPubLLC
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 12:45:59 AM
"Wow seriously you don't see it. That tirade in your last post was evidence enough of your simmering anger that boiled right over."

What you may see as a tirade, many people may see as a person who is merely standing up to someone who is attempting to force their morals onto someone else. How would you react if I tried to force you to do as I do (which, if you follow the words of the Bible, would probably be a much better way to act in society)?

"I don't have to believe anything , however there are things that I "choose" to believe. I know there are people who don't believe as I do sweets! I don't have any problem with others beliefs. I can be friends with anyone , but build a life and get married to ,uhh no you need to have all your major beliefs in common or it's not going to work."

You don't have to believe anything??? Then you must be an atheist or have a "made up " religion. You DO realize that you either follow the "word of god" or you don't, correct? You can be one of those people who "pick and choose" what they believe to be the word of God, but that makes it a "bastardized" form of religion that is different for every person. If you are a true Christian, Catholic, Jew, Muslim, etc..., you either believe in the word as it is written, or you don't.

When you read the 10 Commandments, do you say to yourself "I like these 7 one's, so screw the other 3!"? Perhaps you do, but if you, as you claim suggest, pick what you like, why even call yourself a religious person? Join those of us in the real world who do what they feel is morally right and not pick and choose parts of a book that you think fits the way you want to live. (And as a side note, your reference to me as "sweets" is blatantly condescending. Did you get that from some church, or is that just another characteristic of someone who thinks of themselves as "a person of God"?)

If you follow the Bible, You MUST believe it all! After all, those who truly believe, believe that the word of God is ALL true, and follow His word....not just the parts that suit them as they see fit. There is no room for negotiation. If you look up the definition of the word "hypocrite", you will see yourself all too clearly. I don't say that to be mean, merely to be honest, unlike you seem to be to yourself.

tuckerjo
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:01:46 AM
Why would anyone date another person who they knew full well in advance that they did not share their beliefs with. Talk about setting yourself up for failure. There are many zealot out there and many of them have nothing to do with religion.Some people just can't accept that not everyone belives as they do.

Oh and jpubllc you are in the prime age for heart attacks and anger doesn't help so try to calm yourself. Even the most healthy of men in your age group must do what they can to prevent heart attacks . Relaxation and calm acceptance of the world around them is part of this as well as healthy eating and exercise can help to prevent heart disease.
 JPubLLC
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:18:23 AM
Thank you for your concern, but I am in excellent health.

I find it amusing that you think perhaps the fact that I don't believe in an invisible friend in the sky makes me somehow unrelaxed. It's just the opposite!!!

If I were to believe in a God, I would be constantly worried that any impure thoughts or actions would lead me to an eternal stay in hell. How does that serve to make someone relax? I know I'm a good person and I treat others as I would like to be treated, but I do so because that is the type of person I am, not because I live in constant fear of an invisible man who, at his whim, will strike me down if I somehow do not please him.

If I had to live in fear of someone who is evil enough to kill newborn babies for no reason, I probably would have been dead from stress many years ago.

But all the same, thank you for your concern, and I hope that you have no impure thoughts that may cause you to live in an eternal life of fiery hell, pain, and torture. That would really suck, and you may end up with a heart attack.

I'd like to live a religious life, like the wonderful Reverand Ted Haggard, but I'm not fond of massive drug use, or male prostitutes, so I guess I'll just keep being a good person and leave the invisible man in the sky to those that need a crutch to lean on rather than face life realistically. Call me crazy.....

*** By the way, there is ONE thing that almost makes me believe in a God. I just opened your profile and saw your pic. For a minute there, I almost thought that a woman can't look that beautiful without something out there....lol. (You really are very beautiful. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't say that! As a matter of fact, I think it might be a good idea to rent a plane and fly you down here so we can discuss this further in person. And by the way, I have no impure thoughts - it's strictly just to talk. I'm not lying. Okay......so I'm lying my ass off!) ***

rock_hunter
Msg: 137
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:16:44 AM
If she's already in love with Jesus, what the hell are you thinking, trying to crash that relationship? Don't you know that the guy can throw thunders to you, turn you into a fish, send you to a burning hell? Not the best guy to cuckold, you know.

Learn to choose your fights.

RAMEN!
 Kearnan
Msg: 138
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:00:54 AM

Why would anyone date another person who they knew full well in advance that they did not share their beliefs with. Talk about setting yourself up for failure.

Some people just can't accept that not everyone belives as they do.

Umm.. I could be (and probably am) taking these two statements the wrong way, but from where I stand, deeming anyone not of your faith "incompatible to date" is a perfect example of not accepting someone's beliefs that don't match your own.
 WI_TRANSPLANT
Msg: 139
Posted: 9/13/2008 5:31:35 AM
kearnan

I think she meant the intensity level of the beliefs. If someone has their religion and evangelism as the #1 priority their life and you don't it is doomed. They would both look down on each other.
 Kearnan
Msg: 140
Posted: 9/13/2008 6:12:56 AM
Well, perhaps, but the way it's phrased and given the context of the discussion, she seems to mean only like minded people have a chance together, when any reasonable adult understands that's not the case. Catholics marry Jews, Muslims marry Atheists, Protestants marry Anglicans etc.. all the time, and I seriously doubt that every one of those relationships falls apart. In fact, my parents both share drastically different religious/spiritual views (and they both put high importance on those views) and they've been happily married for more than 30 years.

It just strikes me very much of the "If you don't agree with my beliefs, you're not good enough for me" type of attitude. Which is exactly what her second comment denounces.

But again... maybe I took it the wrong way.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 141
Posted: 9/13/2008 7:13:10 AM
In the United States, you have no choice but to date people who are religious. Especially in the South. Bible Thumpers and zealots however, are different. These people tend to have serious mental and emotional problems that make them turn so strongly to their faith. Of course, just being irritating is enough of a reason not to date them.
 tuckerjo
Msg: 142
Posted: 9/13/2008 12:30:01 PM
It just strikes me very much of the "If you don't agree with my beliefs, you're not good enough for me" type of attitude

If you are asking if I date outside of my religion then the answer is no. If you are asking if I think that people of different faiths ,or who believe nothing at all ,are not and can't be good people then my answer is well of course they can. You may wish to spend your life not sharing all of your most deeply held beliefs with someone , but I do not. My faith is part of who I am and to spend my life with someone who does not share my beliefs is not something I have any interest at all.

You have to be able to share all of your major beliefs or yes the relationship will not last. Aside from religion I could not imagine marrying someone who was a die hard Progressive conservative or who did not want children, who believe money should be spent to the point of bankruptcy and not saved . I don't know how your parents did it but I would think it's because neither of them really care or follow the religions they were born into therefore it is not an issue since it's not part of their major beliefs.

Dating a zealot of any kind is a challenge not just the religious ones. I have no desire to date an atheist as most of them are zealots themselves. They would keep at you constantly trying to bring you over to their way of thinking. Yeah I can hear the "on not me" replies already even from those who can't see how much anger , bitterness and resentement they have inside. Leave others to their beliefs and stop trying to change them. I have no desire to change peoples beliefs. I live my life my way, you live your life yours , we don't push our beliefs on each other and leave each other be. Life is best lived this way.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 143
Posted: 9/13/2008 12:56:41 PM
Kearnan:
the way it's phrased and given the context of the discussion, she seems to mean only like minded people have a chance together, when any reasonable adult understands that's not the case. Catholics marry Jews, Muslims marry Atheists, Protestants marry Anglicans etc.. all the time, and I seriously doubt that every one of those relationships falls apart. In fact, my parents both share drastically different religious/spiritual views (and they both put high importance on those views) and they've been happily married for more than 30 years.

It just strikes me very much of the "If you don't agree with my beliefs, you're not good enough for me" type of attitude.
Nice post :)

I can see incompatibility being used as a reason, but one would actually have to be open to dating those outside of their faith in order to be able to conclude that. To say from the get go that you refuse to date someone outside of your faith is saying that they are beneath you and not worthy. It perpetuates divisiveness based on labels.. but people are not labels! I have been on both ends of this one.. I am very sorry to any I may have made to feel as less than based on their belief system... I know how it feels now and will never do it again :)

That being said, I wouldn't date a zealot of any stripe.. I can confidently say that we wouldn't be very compatible, lol...
 tuckerjo
Msg: 144
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:19:42 PM
To say from the get go that you refuse to date someone outside of your faith is saying that they are beneath you and not worthy.

That being said, I wouldn't date a zealot of any stripe.. I can confidently say that we wouldn't be very compatible, love...

Ahhhh so I see that you allow yourself to not want to date someone based on different religious beliefs but anyone else who wants to do the same is saying that others are below or beneath them. You are a hypocrite. Afterall a zealot has different religious beliefs then you do.

You may say that to not want to date someone with different religious beliefs means that you think they are unworthy and beneath you, but for me it's all about compatibility. I don't want to share my life with someone who does not share my religious beliefs. I want my husband to share in all of my beliefs not just a few. My beliefs are important to me as are your to you.

The thing is you believe zealots are beneath you, I don't. I don't believe anyone of any faith is beneath me. Would I be compatible with a zealot, no of course not, and I would also not be compatible with someone whose religious beliefs were different then mine.It's not a question of being better then someone or someone being beneath me, but if you don't have all of the major things in common then your just asking for a whole boatload of trouble.

Oh and kearnan is just ticked at me and started this little pissing match because we live in the same area , he messaged me and I was not interested. How very small of you.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 145
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:36:16 PM

...Aside from religion I could not imagine marrying someone who was a die hard Progressive conservative...

Isn't Progressive the new word for Liberal? Dating a Progressive Convervative must be confusing as hell.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 146
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:44:52 PM

Ahhhh so I see that you allow yourself to not want to date someone based on different religious beliefs but anyone else who wants to do the same is saying that others are below or beneath them. You are a hypocrite. Afterall a zealot has different religious beliefs then you do.
I see that you are feeling defensive Tuckerjo. I made sure to say that I wouldn't date a zealot of ANY stripe.. and not just religious (political, atheism, etc..).. it entails a certain closed-mindedness and rigidity in thinking.. we wouldn't have much in common. It has nothing to do with belief system or lack thereof, rather in the case of zealotry it is about extremes..and I prefer to hang out in the middle.

You may say that to not want to date someone with different religious beliefs means that you think they are unworthy and beneath you
I made myself very clear that I USED to do that but don't anymore. At the time I didn't think I was looking down on them, but now that I have been on the other side, I know full well what it feels like.

but for me it's all about compatibility.
One cannot determine romantic compatibility with another without getting to know them.. which dating accomplishes. You have decided from the get go that you do not want to date someone outside of your faith. Therefore you cannot determine compatibility. You have made up your mind beforehand. Which, btw.. is your prerogative.. I am not judging you... as I have said, I used to do this as well. Incidentally, it was christians I refused to date, lol.. but I know full well that they are not all prejudiced or thinking they are superior to others.. some christians emulate Jesus's radical inclusivity and I am glad to have seen the example :)

You say that you are not looking down on those of other beliefs, but these statements contradict you:
I have no desire to date an atheist as most of them are zealots themselves. They would keep at you constantly trying to bring you over to their way of thinking. Yeah I can hear the "on not me" replies already even from those who can't see how much anger , bitterness and resentement they have inside.
;)
 Scorpion_66
Msg: 147
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:56:34 PM
gods, try being a wiccan in a world of christians. Your only dealing with zealots, I have to deal with 90% of the population. You should be happy.
 human_male
Msg: 148
Posted: 9/13/2008 4:20:15 PM
It wouldn't work. I'd give her my views on organised religion and the church in general and that'd be all she wrote.
 Scorpion_66
Msg: 149
Posted: 9/13/2008 4:35:41 PM
^^^^^^ Yep, that about sums it up all right.

And knowing that, I still put it in my profile, and am honest about it up front.
I DO wish people would find out about it before condemning me though. WAY too much misinformation out there.
 JPubLLC
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 5:14:39 PM
Rock hunter, If I ran from every guy who tried to turn me into a fish........

They haven't been successful though. The closest one was when Chris Angel turned me into a white lion, but I'm doing much better now! As far as Hell goes, I've sat through a "Barney" marathon with a 4 year old, so Hell would be a walk in the park!

All in all though, I think my favorite part was the veiled threat about the heart attack. People like that love to threaten people who don't believe what they do with death and eternal torture in Hell. You gotta respect those religious folks with all that love in their heart.

As far as God, you can't get much more arrogant than him. You would think with all that power he has, he wouldn't feel that need to have people get on their knees to worship him. You would think he would be a little more secure than that. I'm nowhere close to being as powerful as god, and I don't need my ego stroked by making people go through rituals, or kill innocent babies and animals just to show that I can do whatever I want.

The guy needs to lighten up a little! (But I still want to fly tuckerjo down here to Connecticut for that debate. Yeah...for the debate. Room and board, entertainment expenses, and depending on how things go, possibly a Ferrari, included!)

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating a Religious Zealot is a challenge