Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating a Religious Zealot is a challenge      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JPubLLC
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Dating a Religious Zealot is a challengePage 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
tuckerjo said: "You may wish to spend your life not sharing all of your most deeply held beliefs with someone , but I do not."

Don't forget about those of us who wish to share everything we have with people who are NOT invisible, and who don't get off on mass murder (via earthquakes, floods, starvation, etc...).

"Dating a zealot of any kind is a challenge not just the religious ones. I have no desire to date an atheist as most of them are zealots themselves."

Really? You don't strike me as the type of person who gets to know a lot of atheists, so it seems odd that you seem to know so much about them. I do have one thing to say to you though. You act as though an atheist is like a religious person. In case you weren't aware, the point of being an atheist is a "non-belief" in religion. So I guess that you could say that an atheist is just like a religious person, except for the fact that they are exact opposites. Other than that.....

"They would keep at you constantly trying to bring you over to their way of thinking."

Huh? We don't have a "belief" in anything spiritual, so there is nothing to convert you over to. I've never gotten a knock on my door and tried to get sucked into "nothing" by a group of people wearing suits and ties and carrying a non-Bible.

"Yeah I can hear the "on not me" replies already even from those who can't see how much anger , bitterness and resentement they have inside. Leave others to their beliefs and stop trying to change them. I have no desire to change peoples beliefs. I live my life my way, you live your life yours , we don't push our beliefs on each other and leave each other be. Life is best lived this way."

What planet are you living on? Religious people don't push their beliefs on other people? Nevermind that people who believe in invisible friends get to own mansions and exotic cars, yet not pay a penny in income tax, but they intefere in our lives by taking away our right to things such as stem cell research that could save millions from suffering and death, killing doctors who perform an abortion to save a womans life or because the woman was a victim of rape or incest. I could go on, but I won't. You are narrow minded and as most religious zealots, you prefer to live by a book that has been translated and interpreted so many times it probably has less than 1% of it's original meaning left intact, rather than to open up some REAL books and think for yourself, and come to your OWN conclusions.

But that would be just too crazy. That would be right up there with some invisible man flying up there in the sky. Oh wait....nevermind.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, some of us like to play with people who are really there and can talk back when you talk to them (delusional people who hear voices from "God" not included).

You have a right to have your invisible friend, but don't knock the people who decide on having friends they can see, feel, and hear...in REAL life. You can't say you respect an atheists position in one sentence and belittle him or her in the next. That just makes you the typical arrogant religious type person that gives those who believe in God but do so in a respectful way, a bad reputation. SHAME ON YOU! And be careful, god doesn't put up with any crap. I've seen people younger than you bite the dust with a heart attack. (Have you had any tingling sensations or shortness of breath recently?)
 tuckerjo
Msg: 152
Dating a Religious Zealot is a challenge
Posted: 9/13/2008 6:31:30 PM
Don't forget about those of us who wish to share everything we have with people who are NOT invisible, and who don't get off on mass murder (via earthquakes, floods, starvation, etc...).

As hard as it may be for you to believe, some of us like to play with people who are really there and can talk back when you talk to them (delusional people who hear voices from "God" not included).

You have a right to have your invisible friend,

I find it absolutely amazing how hypocritical you are. You say things like
You can't say you respect an atheists position in one sentence and belittle him or her in the next.
and you have the nerve to speak of me belittling atheist beliefs. Oh I don't know but I would say you saying things like sky daddy, your invisible friend and the like yet you want to say I am belittling you ! Absolutely amazing how delusional you are about yourself. You seriously don't get how incredibly snarky and condescending you are do you?

And as for me being condescending and belittling to atheist, really ? Point that out. Where have I said anything condescending? Saying I want to marry someone who is a member of my faith is not condescending to atheist . Saying something like oh you atheist are all fools or close minded or something like that would be condescending. No belittling and condescending is your forte.Oh yes I can imagine living my life with someone who "thinks" he is open minded and not condescending to peoples beliefs. What a friggin miserable existence that would be . I would be heading out to mass on sunday morning to a departing snarky comment like "oh say hi to sky daddy for me".

You have issues. Work them out and get off the bitterness ,arrogant and rage bandwagon. It's old and boring.

Oh and I don't like wrinkly old ugly guys so enough with the talk of me flying down there. Now that was condescending.
 JPubLLC
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 6:55:07 PM
Oh, come on. Let's all be nice. You can come over, we can drink the blood of Christ, ummmm.....I mean have wine, and we can eat the body of Christ, the blessed wafers (being an ordained minister, I can even bless them myself - nothing says yummy like Christ on a Ritz!). I can't be sure, but I think I have a thigh and mabe some wings or breast (mmmm....breast), and we can put some cheese on them if you like, and just have a good time and a great debate about religion.

I'll pop in "The Passion of the Christ", and after a few glasses of His blood, and perhaps we can do a re-make of the "Passion". I'm very open to a good clean naked (as God created us) discussion with a woman like you. As a matter of fact, if you come over and, ummmm......talk, I'll switch to any religion you are into and I'll feed that money basket every week, or however many times your particular religion wants that chunck of your paycheck. It works for me!

***YES, the above post was insulting and immature, but when discussing religion, which consists of invisible people and/or creatures, who live somewhere in the sky and kill people when they get bored, it's very hard to have a serious discussion on the matter. I don't make that stuff up about drinking the blood of Jesus, or eating his body in the form of crackers. Thats all part of the nonsense of religion. If you are offended by that, talk to the people who push that ridiculous nonsense and have you give them your hard earned money for that right to do things like drink his blood and eat his body crackers. I didn't make that crap up. Some idiots a few thousand years ago who thought the world was flat did! HAH!...and that virgin birth my ass. They were 3 wise men all right. You gotta be pretty wise to be 3 old guys hanging around with a hot young girl who gets knocked up and convince everyone that she was still a virgin. That's not just wise, that's damn genius! ***
 avwrench
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 9:20:37 PM
I don't know about dating one,'cause I once told the Jehovah's Witness people at my door"No, thanks I'm a satan worshipper". BIG mistake...They came back like three times a week (at least) until I finally told 'em I was kidding. They went away after I took a Watchtower and said I call if I was interested. lol
I used to class my self as an atheist, but as I got older, I realized that I did believe we were created by someone/something. I just don't believe he/she /it is a"god". In fact, I will freely admit I have no f'ing clue who or what put us here,or why for that matter.
I love to tweak the noses of "true believers",but I at least try to do it in fun, and not to hurt feelings. (I once told an AA group my "higher power" was Satan....that went over real well...lol. But, no, they're not promoting religion,really they're not....lol)
I mostly agree with jpublic's views on the bible though, it has been translated and "revised& updated for easier understanding" enough that the original meaning & context is probably way off from what we're getting today.
Something to ponder......Myself, I feel it is more likely that man created God to give his existence meaning, than it is for God to have created man for....WTF.....lol
 safn1949
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 9:40:58 PM
specially the MAN AS HEAD OF THE HOUSEHOLD part

The problem is that many men see that as a power trip,they neglect to read the rest of that passage.I can't for the life of me understand why some people expect others to bend to their will for whatever reason.And then as they treat people like crap they can't understand why they end up alone.( I don't mean you squeak) If you have faith that's great,I do,but some people just get carried away with it and bludgeon others with it.It's a very divisive subject to say the least.
 rockondon
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:30:26 PM

I have no desire to date an atheist as most of them are zealots themselves.
What are we zealous about...secular humanism?

the point of being an atheist is a "non-belief" in religion.
Tell that to the hundreds of millions of buddhist atheists out there that they have non-belief in their religion. Atheists are often religious - there are even christian atheists.

As for dating a religious zealot I consider all people, and all religions, equal. A religious zealot would have no use for me other than converting me to their brand of intolerance and looking down on others religious choices.
 Gideon_70
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 11:04:52 PM
Christians are warned not to date non-believers. It just doesn't work out.
 lucky_sevans
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 11:34:01 PM

Christians are warned not to date non-believers. It just doesn't work out.

somethin' like: "If the yoke don't fit....dont wear it"

/its so hard to find a good pair of yokes these days... {sigh}
 lucky_sevans
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 11:41:00 PM
tuckerjo - very nice... I am sitting here impressed (and not in a condescending type of way either.)

/would[/wont] heaven be considered "atheist hell"? Gotta love the irony in that!
//see: Pascal's wager.
///note to self: Must look-up 'snarky'...
 Kearnan
Msg: 160
Posted: 9/14/2008 12:27:58 PM

Oh and kearnan is just ticked at me and started this little pissing match because we live in the same area , he messaged me and I was not interested. How very small of you.

What in the hell are you talking about?? I never once messaged you. I looked at your profile and that's how I found the link to this discussion?

Maybe you could explain to people how I managed to send this message when your contact requirements clearly won't let smokers contact you? No that's right, I wouldn't be able to contact you to begin with, thanks for playing though.
 TheLimey
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 2:52:23 PM

I don't know about dating one,'cause I once told the Jehovah's Witness people at my door"No, thanks I'm a satan worshipper". BIG mistake...They came back like three times a week (at least) until I finally told 'em I was kidding. They went away after I took a Watchtower and said I call if I was interested. lol

Just tell them you're jewish, they will leave so fast there will be a human shaped vacuum on your doorstep.
 JPubLLC
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 3:37:51 PM
"and you have the nerve to speak of me belittling atheist beliefs."

I'm still trying to make sense of your post, but I'm getting a headache, so I'll give up on that for now. And to anwer your question, YES, I do know I'm copndescending with people who go on about nonsense. I never claimed to have a high tolerance for grown men and women who want to push their beliefs on me, whether it be God, Santa, Tooth Fairy, etc...

And just so you get it right in the future, the term "atheist belief" makes no sense. The point of being an atheist is that we DON'T have that belief. If you want to get it right, at least call it an atheist disbelief.

Well I have to go now and debate someone on what T^de%^r from the planet Xarbanon is planning for his galaxy's future.

designingwoman
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 4:38:26 PM
Now, I would LOVE to find a good pair of yokes--in a Piper Warrior!! (A Piper Warrior is a sweet-flying small airplane that seats four people.) Well if I ever strike it rich, why not get a sweet pair in a Cessna Citation jet.

Seriously someone who is "over the top" when it comes to religiousness or being an atheist really should date people who have similar religious beliefs. Others who are more moderate like myself can have a successful relationship with someone of a different faith. I know a Catholic who married a Jew, and they've been doing quite well--happily married for many years. I think in their case because they are moderate and respect each other's religious views they have succeeded. Moderation is the key when it comes to religion. I have no problem with being with someone who isn't Catholic or Episcopalian--provided that they are moderate in their own faith, and most importantly also share my progressive political views. The values of a liberal like myself differ greatly from someone who is conservative, thus I consider conservative views more of a dealbreaker than different religious views.

I've found it far easier to talk with someone about religion whose religious views are different from my own--I like to learn about different religious views and philosophies. But to talk with a right winger, fuggeddaboutit! I won't even GO there with anyone in my family that I know is conservative. I prefer to limit my political conversations to liberals, moderates and the occasional FISCAL, not social, conservative. I hate arguing and would rather enjoy my relationship fully rather than spend it arguing, thus the dealbreaker for conservative political views or excessive religiousness to the point of failing to accept other people's religious views.

When it comes to religion, I really don't think there's a right or wrong religion. Each has something good to offer. I would definitely prefer to date someone who accepts all religious faiths and believes that God is for all of us, not just one religion.

DW
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 164
Posted: 9/14/2008 5:02:11 PM
JpubLLC:
And just so you get it right in the future, the term "atheist belief" makes no sense. The point of being an atheist is that we DON'T have that belief.
I hate to break it to ya, but you DO in fact have a belief on the subject of God. See, with matters that cannot be proven, all we have are beliefs.. it doesn't matter whether the belief contains a deity or not.. it is still a BELIEF. And God has not been proven or disproven thus far, so we are all free to believe as we wish..

If you want to get it right, at least call it an atheist disbelief.
So the atheist has no belief in atheism? Yeah, okay

YES, I do know I'm copndescending with people who go on about nonsense.
Isn't it funny how one person's truth is seen as nonsense to another.. ? When looked at this way it kinda makes one realize that there is nothing at all to be condescending about.. unless of course you are prepared for the same in return?

Sylvilagus
Msg: 165
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:45:27 PM
My short answer about dating a 'religious zealot'- No.

Long answer, if anyone cares:
My religious beliefs are intensely private and personal to me. I don't proseletyze, don't like others trying to "convert" me, "save" me, or "get me right with g-d". The last group of folks who appeared on my front porch to do so were greeted by a screaming naked man with a bad dog in one hand and a .45 in the other, just in case anyone had funny ideas about dropping by unannounced.

I understand that religion is a hot-button topic, and is the absolute be-all,end-all in some folks' lives. That's fine by me. I'm glad you have that, really, I am. I'm quite content in my belief structure as it is, and as unorthodox as it would seem to you, should you ever catch wind of it. I'd much rather not have to 'justify' myself on a constant basis to someone who truly believed that they have my best interests at heart by trying to win my soul for Jesus.
I'm not in a contest, and I don't care how many point you'd amass by bringing this old reprobate to the front of the congregation on his knees. T'ain't gonna happen.

When I see g-d schmook stuff on a profile, I make a quick mental note and keep right on going. You may look like Miss Universe, but I won't get to the next sentence or photo. Besides, religious wars are like 2 schoolkids fighting over who has the tougher imaginary friend.

Regards,
Rabbit.
 GreatGrover
Msg: 166
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:12:56 PM

Was I the only one that noticed that the OP states in his profile that he is an "active scientologist."

well that enough is nuts! any scientologist is a loon!
 JPubLLC
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 9:08:49 PM
Hi rockondon.

Your statement in respose to "the point of being an atheist is a "non-belief" in religion." was:

"Tell that to the hundreds of millions of buddhist atheists out there that they have non-belief in their religion. Atheists are often religious - there are even christian atheists.

You make a good point. There are variations of everything religious or non-religious. There are atheists that I am ashamed even call themselves that. When I use the term "atheist" though, I simply mean it to describe a person who has a non-theist view of life and doesn't believe in a God or God's. If I were to address every type of person with every type of belief, it would take a few thousand pages to post all the variations, and I would still miss a few thousand variations of theist and non-theist beliefs.

Sorry for the confusion.

p.s. - I'm still sticking to my offer to switch to any religion if she comes over for those Christ crackers with some "Wise-Men" chesse and maybe a few glasses of Chateau Jesus (1 A.D - a very good year), to lighten the mood.

That plane is waiting for you sweets. I'm a pretty good pilot, and I think you know who my co-pilot is!)

JPubLLC
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 10:47:40 PM
sassyaquarius says "I hate to break it to ya, but you DO in fact have a belief on the subject of God. See, with matters that cannot be proven, all we have are beliefs"

I guess you can use semantics, but I don't see the point. Using your logic however, that would mean we all have a belief in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or even something less likely, such as having a democratic candidate who has a chance to be elected. (And yes, I've been hoping for one.)

"it doesn't matter whether the belief contains a deity or not.. it is still a BELIEF."

Thanks! I read that sentence 3 times to understand what you were trying to say, and now my I.Q. has dropped 25 points, and I'm pretty sure a blood vessel in my brain just ruptured.

"And God has not been proven or disproven thus far, so we are all free to believe as we wish."

This is my favorite! God hasn't been disproven? You're right, but what's your point?
In case you aren't aware, it is impossible to prove a negative, so it's not up to anyone to DISPROVE that God exists, it's up to someone to prove he DOES exist. There is not even any legitimate point in debating interpretations of "God's word" when there is not even any proof that a god exists. That is like debating whether Xarnon, the ruler of the Glorbock galaxy 5 million light years away wears a red T-shirt with white ruffles or a pink shirt with blue ruffles. (although the latter would look pretty tacky).

"So the atheist has no belief in atheism? Yeah, okay"

Dammit....there goes another blood vessel in my brain!

"Isn't it funny how one person's truth is seen as nonsense to another.. ?

Yes, actually it is funny when the person's "truth" involves an invisible flying man in the sky.

"When looked at this way it kinda makes one realize that there is nothing at all to be condescending about.. unless of course you are prepared for the same in return?"

Go for it. I don't really see how a religious person can be condescending to someone who believes that life is based on the best scientific theories and proven principles reached thus far by some of the greatest minds in history, such as gravity and relativity, as opposed to superstition regarding an invisible sky-man who waved his arms and made it all happen. But what angers me the most is that they want to teach that nonsense to children. Someday gravity may be proven wrong and when an apple falls, it may fly up instead of falling to the ground, but that doesn't mean we should teach that to our kids in school!

However if you feel you are able to prove the invisible man thing, thus making atheists sound silly, please do tell. If you are privvy to some information that proves his existense (other than one of thousands of different versions of fairy tale books), I will admit I was wrong.

I will end with this. If there IS a God, and I go up to Heaven to have him decide my fate, I WILL NOT apologize to him. I will look him in the eyes and ask him a very simple and honest question. :

"Now that I know you're real, why in the hell did you try so hard to keep yourself secret and not once ever take a minute out of your busy day to pop in and tell people you were real? You can give people "free will" but still give them a little proof that you exist. What was going through your mind when you killed millions of innocent people in wars and disasters, but yet not take a minute to say "hi"?"

I wouldn't want to take him up on his offer of eternal life in heavan either. If people have to spend so much time stroking his ego by praying to him all the time, and fighting to not even THINK of any impure thoughts, etc, just to avoid staying on his good side and not suffer his evil, torturous punishments, I would NOT want to spend eternity living like that. To me, THAT would be hell!
 Kearnan
Msg: 169
Posted: 9/15/2008 12:25:16 AM

I guess you can use semantics, but I don't see the point.

No, it's not semantics, it's her using the term belief in a different way than you are. She's using it as in an opinion about a subject is your personal belief of the facts. You don't believe God exists, therefore it's your "belief" that there is no God. No busted blood vessels needed ;)

Yes, actually it is funny when the person's "truth" involves an invisible flying man in the sky.

Didn't you a few replies ago say something about belittling another persons beliefs?

In case you aren't aware, it is impossible to prove a negative, so it's not up to anyone to DISPROVE that God exists, it's up to someone to prove he DOES exist.

And she did state quite clearly that nobody has proven the existence of a God. It was an objective statement, you're being melodramatic.

And the entire last couple of paragraphs... wow.. man, she's not debating wether there's a God or not, she's actually one of the few people in this thread being somewhat objective.
 webweebil
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2008 12:45:31 AM
The problem is that religious fanatics have no limit to their distortions. Atheists have to have limits because there's really nothing they need from others (say, for instance, sucking their souls.) I'm gnostic, which is pretty arcane. Watch the original Matrix for a good idea of what that is (gnostic brothers produced the movie.) A gnostic believes that Primary Source (brilliant darkness, Creator, God, etc.) is within. So, you won't see many of us on cable on Sundays asking for your $'s and assuring people that unbelievers will be going to hell because they don't belong to their group, much to the (telling) delight of their congregation.

I personally classify all the Yahweh religions as the same, fundamentally (pun intended.) They hijack your spirituality through individual egos by promoting separation and exclusivity while de-humanizing the rest of us. It makes it easier to have a crusade, inquisition, jihad, etc. that way.

Just sayin'.
 rock_hunter
Msg: 171
Posted: 9/15/2008 1:44:58 AM
Zealots can come in different flavors, both religious and non-religious. An atheist zealot is every bit as lame as a Christian zealot.

And yes, Atheistm is a religion. The religion of the no-God, and it has its zealots, just like any other religion. You can recognize those zealots, because they like to belittle and attack other people's beliefs, however they cry as just-neutered cats when somebody dares to tell them that they also need to respect other people's beliefs.

If you think dating a religious zealot is hard, just wait until you date an atheist zealot.

Ramen.
 wolphman ca
Msg: 172
Posted: 9/15/2008 3:58:26 AM
Reading this thread it's easy to see how religious wars get started. Then again I was written out of my fathers will before he died because of my beliefs and had to find out about his death in the newspaper. I believe that if you are very religious you should just stay with your own kind and I see nothing wrong with wanting a mate that has the same strong views as you. Me I'm not too worried about the religion of the person I am seeing as long as they don't try to convert me and can accept who I am. I am Pagan but have dated Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, etc. I am very tolerant and will only seek other tolerant people. Freedom of religion is a right we all have but we also have the right to be selective in the mate we choose.
Back to the OP. I could not see me getting along with any type of zealot as most are too close minded and not open to new ideas or opinions.
 Kearnan
Msg: 173
Posted: 9/15/2008 4:07:57 AM

Zealots can come in different flavors, both religious and non-religious. An atheist zealot is every bit as lame as a Christian zealot.

Spot on. I don't think anyone has summed it up as succinctly as that so far.

You can recognize those zealots, because they like to belittle and attack other people's beliefs, however they cry as just-neutered cats when somebody dares to tell them that they also need to respect other people's beliefs.

Actually, if you read back through the entire thread, you'll see that there's a couple of people from BOTH sides of the fence that are displaying this attitude very adequately.

This entire thread is an anthropology or sociology paper waiting to happen...
 greg8001
Msg: 174
Posted: 9/15/2008 7:05:39 AM
I have some friends who are deeply religious. For me the key test is respect of individual conscience, including my own. I am ok if people have views on contentious matters that diverge from my own, but the red flag/dealbreaker for me in any situation is when they refuse to respect my freedom and liberty of conscience and try to force me to adopt their views by force or emotional blackmail/manipulation. This extends to any person, whether religious or not. I don't mind if people have deep religious views and convictions, so long as they also respect liberty of conscience in religious and moral matters as well.
 rockondon
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2008 9:55:50 AM

And yes, Atheistm is a religion
And no, atheism is not a religion.
If it was a religion, then that same reasoning would make not believing in santa a religion, not believing in leprechauns a religion, not believing that humans have wings is a religion, and not believing that milk jugs created the universe is a religion. Do you consider yourself a member of a billion different religions - where every time you do not accept an unsubstantiated claim automatically makes you a member? If atheism qualifies as religion, then 'religion' is a meaningless term.

There's no concensus on what constitutes a religion but typical characteristics of religion include reverence and/or belief in a deity/deities (or some other significant figure), an explanation of reality, a description of the role we play in that explanation of reality, a social structure built around these beliefs, imposing some form of moral standards on its members, and performing rituals for worship such as prayer, dancing, or singing. Atheism requires none of these things.

As for an atheist zealot, I've never met someone that I would label as such but I'm sure they exist. I recently heard a great quote by Winston Churchill - a zealot is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. I would guess that the number of atheist zealots out there are VASTLY outnumbered by religious zealots.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating a Religious Zealot is a challenge