Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vibrant1
Msg: 51
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
NO NO AND HELL NO! THIS IS TOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY
 cocytus
Msg: 52
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?
Posted: 2/22/2008 6:02:23 AM
No, of course not.
But guys over 40 w/ ponytails have to realize they look like goofs.
Fight the urge,men!!!
 Southpaw_Outlaw
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2008 8:48:22 AM
As a wise man once said, "Cut your hair or grow some tits."
 wondering1980
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/22/2008 11:08:19 AM
theres a lot of closed minded people on this issue...i personally don't care...theres a guy around here that has blond hair and its natural...you can tell its never been dyed and its smooth and soft...perfect hair and its down to his lower back....women envy his hair cause its literately flawless...
 Dame Whimsical
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/22/2008 11:30:17 AM
People don't like those that are different from the status quo because that means they have to work... they have to work at finding out who this person is. It is easier dealing with the sheeple of the world that all look alike because, for the most part, you know what you get.
 vibrant1
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/22/2008 12:22:58 PM
Yes the balding pony tail is turn off.
 DonnaMatrixx
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 7:05:20 PM
yes...............
 dancecard
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2009 8:03:24 AM
should or shall ~ don't enter into it.

I find long hair a pain in the ass ~ with all my other pains it's a nuscience I do quit well without.

I enjoy hers when she's on top and it covers my face ~ that all the hair pleasure this man will ever need in this world.

Dance
 nebula22
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/17/2009 10:13:04 AM
Now that you bring this up ,,, maybe I should re-think my long hair....

Maybe I should start wearing Black clothes and Tie-Dye my Long Hair.
 JWG86
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/17/2009 10:40:32 AM
What? One of my Dr's has long hair. Plenty of waiters at up-scale resturants I have been to/know have long hair. I know plenty of guys with long hair that do great in the job/hiring/corporate arena. My roommate was one of them until he cut it shorter for a change of pace.
 wmboydsp
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2009 2:22:24 PM
People are disriminated for tattoos. Society has a right to have thier morals. If you choose to have long hair or have tattoos you have to be ready to accept the discrimination that goes with it. It may not be right, but it is the way it is.
 luvsaclikaway
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/17/2009 4:07:18 PM
I "had " a job w/ Stanley Steemer in the early 90's after I was interviewed.
When I asked about wearing a baseball cap to keep up my hair, for I was in a band project they said I couldn't keep the job. Had I been able to find a greedy lawyer I would've tried to sue.

After recording a CD I bought THAT Stanley Steemer locale and fired the mgr.
...........oh I wish,,,,,,,,
 ArizonaLP
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/17/2009 9:37:24 PM
I agree with OP. Men and women should be treated equally in those cases. I do not think Hooters should be forced to hire male waitors.
 ashley1861
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2009 10:35:22 PM
Nebula 22 How Odd that I was just thinking today about how a person could Tie-Dye thier Hair. I think really long, man hair, would look cool with a wirly dye!

I think even older men can carry long hair if it suits their Look: face, body, style.
That should be the only question...
Clearly it fits their lifestyle or their personal desire or they would change it.
 indianbob
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 6:33:24 AM
I've had my hair long for most of my life. I get it cut off about every 4 or 5 years and give it to Locks of Love.
I really don't notice too much of a difference one way or the other. I keep it neat and clean. I work in a technical field in an office, (all though I do work nights) and was hired when my hair was about 3 quarters down my back. When I was being interviewed the guy did asked "If I was to get the job what would I think if I were asked to cut my hair and apparently I gave the correct answer, because I did get the job and that was over 11 years ago.
I do realize that there are people out there that are extremely shallow and if that's what floats thier boat I probably wouldn't be hangin with them anyway. Besides they are usually Faux news watchers and Rush listeners, in general very narrow minded.
I know that sounds like a bit of the same thing, but if the shoe fits.

Later,
iBob
 andso.itgoes
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/25/2009 6:09:51 PM
One should be wary of men with crew cuts. I am of the generation who viewed those who sported them as belonging to the "establishment". Long hair on men was a symbol of revolution, freedom, casting off of the constraints of society. On a first look, this woman tends to trust the long hairs over the short hairs.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:23:31 PM
Take it with a grain of salt. There's a reason those stereotypes exist. Because there have been enough people that had long hair that did do drugs and break the law for people to associate the two. That doesn't mean that everybody with long hair is a bad guy, but it should be understandable how somebody who doesn't know you might get that first impression at a glance.

I had long hair for years. I got harassed by cops and authority figures. I never did anything wrong. I didn't even drink. I just looked like all those guys that were up to no good. But I understood why people made the association, and I never took it personally.

In the business world, hair only factors in if you let it. If you feel that's part of who you are and some company doesn't want you based on that, then they didn't really want you. They wanted a modified you. Thank them for their time and go elsewhere.

Also, you have to bear in mind that not all companies that "discriminate" against long haired guys are doing so to be mean. Some are merely doing it because the nature of their business requires presenting a certain aesthetic to attract/keep clientele. They're going to do what they have to do to make money. They're not going to lose profit for the sake of sparing somebody's feelings.
 Hestia
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/28/2009 12:02:56 PM

OP, there is a very good reason for this: bad boys have long hair, and bad boys are bad people, so they are bad for business.

This made me laugh. I don't mean any offense by that, but all the 'bad boys' I've dated have had quite short hair, the longest was comparable to Till Lindemann's in his wikipedia photo (my word does he have sex appeal, but that's another matter). Of the many men I know with long hair only one would describe himself as a bad boy. I don't agree with him, he's too protective of his female friends and won't put up with anyone treating a woman badly. Your assumption is the exact opposite to my experiences.

I work in finance. I have 5 years of banking experience, and have worked with 5 or 6 men with long hair during that time, both in high street banks and in local mutual building societies. I know store managers and assistant store managers with hair down to their waists, worked in kitchens with men who had longer hair than I did. I have long-haired male friends who work in optometry, retail, hospitality, finance and administration. They are treated with respect by their employers, because they deserve it. They're judged on their own merits and work ethic, not their appearance.
Obviously sometimes there are members of the public who discriminate, but everyone gets some form of discrimination from time to time.

As far as attraction is concerned, it depends entirely on what suits him. If a guy has long hair and it doesn't suit him, it's a turn off. Likewise, a guy with a 'short back & sides' can look awful if it doesn't work for him.
 luv_forums
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/28/2009 6:49:33 PM
If a guy kept his long hair in a clean and tidy condition, then I don't see why he shouldn't have long hair. The only times I'd have a problem with it is if the guy didn't bother to wash it every day or every second day, and it's just in a messy, tangled condition. But I guess it depends on personal tastes. Not all men with long hair suit the style, either because of their face structure or head shape, or whatever. I personally prefer a medium length, up to or just above the shoulders.

When I think of a man with long hair, I think of either 2 things depending on my mood: either Urs B├╝hler from Il Divo BEFORE he grew that horrible beard, or I think of a hobo with long straggly hair. lol.
 meat me
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/3/2009 6:50:31 AM
I'm nostalgic, why shouldn't they be discriminated against ?
Aren't all these long hairs' just throw-backs to the dirty, hippy white trash, from the 60's anyway.
 boatswamper
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2009 8:38:15 AM
I think guys with long hair look like idiots (especially if they're going bald), but I don't let it get in the way of hiring a good employee. As long as they are good workers I could care less what the do with their hair.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/3/2009 11:22:21 AM
Attraction issue aside, when my hair was longer i really did run into amazing instances of discrimination. I don't mean name calling. I just mean how people treated me in general. But what i liked about that was it instantly weeded out people i obvioulsy don't want anything to do with.
 Musique08
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2009 7:02:40 PM
I like men with long hair (I also like men with short hair, whatever suits the guy). I certainly don't think men with long hair should be treated any differently than men with short hair, it's just discrimination.
 FL CO
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 1:03:13 PM
Thats because the professions you mention are apart of the entertainment industry. The rest of us live in real life where some amount of professionalism is needed for most jobs.
 FL CO
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 3:21:08 PM

How is hair a measure of professionalism, especially considering that the affectation of "short hair" came about because of the poor hygiene of those returning from trench warfare, lice and scabies, etc, ...not the other way around?

How is this not just fashion conformity via affectation?

If it isn't, then why doesn't the same bigotry via affectation apply to women?

Would you rather deal with a "professional" who adheres to a fashion paradigm, or a professional who does their job well

It doesn't make someone any more or less professional, but by todays standards it looks more professional. As far as reasons not to have long hair there's several besides just hygiene. I don't have long hair by anymeans, but when I "grow it out" I usually get complimented on it, and have had people ask to run their hands through it. By the time it gets to that length I'm about sick of and and cut it off again. Speaking of which I do need to get another haircut.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?