Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > forgotten instruments...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Idled Emotions
Msg: 51
forgotten instruments...Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I know personally, I havent heard the harmonica for awhile. ...maybe I dont listen to enough classical as much as I used to but still there are alot of instruments that aren't really getting used for popular music anymore because it might do as you call "cramp their style."
 Trewq36
Msg: 52
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/12/2007 7:03:14 AM
Yea MG I know Bela and the Flecktones, an amazing group all round. Which leads us a bit off topic. But how about New Instruments. Such as Futureman's Drumitar.

<div class="quote">The guitar shaped Drumitar allows him to replicate sounds of an entire contemporary drum kit with just a few fingers.
I agree that most of the synth sounds tend to lack the feeling of the acoustic. And some question other aspects of it too. Such as Futureman's Drumming, saying that it can't be done on a real kit so there fore it should not actually be considered drumming.
 strats4
Msg: 53
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/15/2007 6:31:00 AM
Hey how about the kazoo,doubled up with guitar like hendrix did on crosstown traffic sounds very unique
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 54
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/15/2007 7:13:24 AM
Cello.....that's one of those instruments that has frequently spiced up some acoustic artists work.

Violin is another one that hasn't been really used well, in my opinion. I was really impressed with what Hugh Marsh was able to do with Bruce****urn's band. He would use it in a traditional manner, but also work with electronics.

If you can find a copy of "Loner" by****urn, you can hear Marsh playing some wonderful stuff. The violin tells the story of two people falling in love during that song, in long soaring breaks. There's the initial meeting, which leads to this soaring crescendo of orgasmic proportions, and then the soft sounds of the pillow talk afterwards. Quite a good example of what "unlazy ears" can bring to a song.

I even saw Marsh play some James Brown "funk" style riffs when I saw the band play, as he used a pick on his violin.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 55
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/15/2007 12:12:25 PM
Tell me about it...after tinkering on one before a gig, seeing some pics and due to the general crap nature of my acoustic, I have strongly been considering a purchase of an electric violin...and you should see some of the crazy options once you do...

5 string - you now have viola range

6 STRING? 7?? - now you have cello range... the Viper...looks like a flying V LOL.

OMG! A Double neck?!?! As played by Ravi Shankar's daughter... goes down to bass fiddle.
 late™
Msg: 56
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/15/2007 4:32:51 PM
But how about New Instruments. Such as Futureman's Drumitar.

It's a SynthAxe guitar-controller with tons of stuff glued to it and nail polish.

http://www.open-tuning.com/img/SynthAxe.html

Note the resemblance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FutureMan.jpg

Not really "new", obsolete, ...not made anymore. Technically not an instrument, but a midi controller with stuff glued to it.

He has a new one, a keyboard-like controller that uses 144 guitar pics for "keys" and doesn't use the 12 tone scale, ...it uses the periodic table, LOL!

http://static.flickr.com/31/50716148_8b7f0c8da6_s.jpg
 parallax
Msg: 57
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/15/2007 4:42:55 PM
Valerie Vigoda from Groovelilly uses 6 and 7 string Vipers. She likes them because the attachment strap allows her to sing as she plays. She can also sound like the entire string section when she wants to, and has also done tour work with Cindi Lauper.

OT
I don't think that there are many truly forgotten instruments. If you look hard enough, you'll find an odd instrument and someone who'll play it. Last summer I heard Peter Puma Hedlund play a nyckelharpa. (wonderfully) It's a violin-type instrument with 12 strings and a keyboard. I had never seen or heard one before, but it's well known in Sweden.
 Skyliner
Msg: 58
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/15/2007 8:40:42 PM
Does anyone here play a Cumbus..?? (and yes it is a genuine instrument)
 late™
Msg: 59
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/16/2007 8:48:56 AM
Does anyone here play a Cumbus..??

I could, but I don't have one, so technically, "not yet".

It's a family owned instrument company from Turkey, the name "Cumbus" was actually coined by Kemal Atatürk after hearing the instrument and asked what it should be called.

Cumbus means, "funny", or "fun-making".

There are many forms, I can play them all, though I've never held one.

It is a century-old method of construction, using a metal body (like a hubcap) with a tensioned "skin" for a "top".

Several mid-east/western/asian chordaform instruments are represented, all of which I play already so, ...no probs.

Oud - Arabic
Saz - Turkic
Tambur(Tembor) Turkic/Asian
Mandolin/Bouzuki - Western/Greek
12 st. guitar/ - Western

The original cumbus was probably based on the oud, had one for a while:
http://homepage.mac.com/ewald/.Pictures/oud.jpg

I returned it though, the seller wanted too much $ for it (it was not well cared for by the owner, we negotiated for a few weeks - I did record with it, but it was difficult to tune because it had not been used EVER by the owner), I'm still trying to get an oud from Syria, ...a more professional model. I know a few people from Syria, and one of my cab driver friends has said he can bring one back for me next time he visits his mother - top-o-the-line, ...$200 CDN.

The importers in N. America have obscene margins, it's often way cheaper to have an instrument shipped from the source country than to be gouged.

I'd like to get a Tambur Cumbus, as I already have access to a Cura Saz. If I get one, it will either be used off eBay, or direct from Turkey.

Trewq36
Msg: 60
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/16/2007 11:34:23 AM
Late, Really?

he can bring one back for me next time he visits his mother - top-o-the-line, ...$200 CDN.

Could you ask him to pick up Two. I would like to get hold of one also. Please email me if we can.
 Whole 9 Yards
Msg: 61
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/16/2007 11:42:49 AM
What about the Key-tar? casio's answer to the Les paul.
 cute but private
Msg: 62
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/18/2007 2:53:35 PM
how about the ney?

i can get a few sounds out of it if i use a shakahatchi ombrachure.
otherwise it's just the old western flute playing middle eastern music for me.
 grog27
Msg: 63
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/20/2007 6:36:16 PM
I just skimmed through hee, but I didn't see any mention of the balalaika. (Can't you just hear them ringing out?... )

As for the people lamenting the dobro, how about Jerry Douglas, Or the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack? Also, check out Alison Kraus and Union Station.

I know synths don't really rate in this thread, but I personally would like to hear more MiniMoog!
Or how about the good old Fairlight CMU?

But, yes; the Hammond B or C is still the best keyboard sound around!! Just run that sucker through a Marshall head hooked up to a Leslie with beefed up speakers and horns and watch people's fillings fall out of their mouths!
 Paulchino II
Msg: 64
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 2/21/2007 8:08:32 AM

But, yes; the Hammond B or C is still the best keyboard sound around!! Just run that sucker through a Marshall head hooked up to a Leslie with beefed up speakers and horns and watch people's fillings fall out of their mouths!

Ahhh pure bliss...don't see too many of the analog keys anymore...pretty sure Pearl Jam came into town with one...it was a BIG sucker....

How about the Tongue Drum...or maybe better known as Slit Drum....very cool...and at only 2 bills....I might just have to pick one up! Check em out!
 robmd
Msg: 65
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/18/2007 5:52:38 PM
chapman sticks are pretty cool and not used often....
 zach0731
Msg: 66
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/18/2007 8:10:45 PM
hammer dulcimer.... when was the last time you heard that thing? seriously like in the 1800's?
 sixstringcowboy
Msg: 67
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/18/2007 11:18:15 PM
How about the Crummar? Or maybe a Farfisa? Melotron anybody? Mini Moog?
 Gryphon10
Msg: 68
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/19/2007 5:11:09 AM
A few years ago I went to a recital of early chamber music and heard someone play the serpent. Very nice.
 RDtoo
Msg: 69
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/20/2007 6:47:25 PM
When I saw the title of this thread and saw the last person to post was named Gryphon, I was certain that the post would be mentioning the Crumhorn, as the 70s band Gryphon was one of the last to use them in popular music. I was wrong.
 carpediem44
Msg: 70
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/24/2007 3:33:24 PM
For anyone who wants to hear great Hammond B3 playing, check out Joey DeFrancesco. I've seen him a couple of times, and he's a truly amazing player. At the Detroit Jazz Festival a couple of years ago, he had all sorts of great players drop in to play on one song with him - it's hard to think of a nicer tribute to a guy.

Classical music has loads of forgotten instruments. Two of my favourites are the ophicleide (the insttrument that should be used in the Dies Irae section of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique). It sort of sounds like the evil offspring of a tuba and a bassoon. The basset horn, on the other hand, is a kind of tenor clarinet. Mozart used them a lot, and they have this amazingly beautiful low range.
 HRWild
Msg: 71
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/26/2007 10:51:25 AM
bongos, congas, and timbales
 smileybear
Msg: 72
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/26/2007 5:35:25 PM
harpsicord....like two skeletons making love in a garbage can

Whats the difference between an oboe and a bassoon ?

You get more kindling out of a bassoon.
 44Boz
Msg: 73
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/29/2007 12:06:55 PM

I got a VERY OLD resinator guitar sitting in my basment...got "Maybell" on the headstock...but it's only a 4 string instrument....

I'm guessing that's a tenor guitar? They're pretty rare to hear in modern times and i don't think I've ever heard a tenor resonator.

The Willard Grant Conspiracy did a cover of a Johnny Cash tune which featured a Field Organ. Can anyone shed any light on what that is? It had a great sound.
 Trewq36
Msg: 74
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/29/2007 12:19:59 PM
Field Organ....
Bouncy try this link, has a picture as well..
http://www.parlapiano.com/museum/fieldorgan2.html

Therse were small (portable) reed organs (foot pump driven) that were manufactured for the US Army during WWII. The casework was built to fold up into a wooden suitcase.
 Sierrasman
Msg: 75
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/29/2007 1:49:37 PM
I haven't heard a glockenspiel lately!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > forgotten instruments...