Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 motownmaniax
Msg: 376
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?Page 16 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
If you read my profile you'd know.

I've written extensively on Favs threads. I will not become a slave to monitoring the list and deleting every add, and there's nothing to stop someone from just re-adding me again. POF needs to give us the ability to not be a part of the feature, period. Until that happens we're stuck with it.
 ms*fraggle
Msg: 377
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?
Posted: 1/14/2009 2:49:35 AM
My sentiments exactly, i am not a fan of testimonials , I have never left one for anyone and I never will.
 lookinatit
Msg: 378
Posted: 1/14/2009 9:44:24 AM
Don't beleive everything you read. I've met a few women on this site with glowing testimonials and based on my experiences most of them were VERY inaccurate.
 DonkeyPimp
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:07:32 PM

If I saw a guy with testimonials, I would enjoy reading them and the more he gets along with women and has been found favorable, the more I think well of him.

I think a lot of people just take life too seriously. My testimonials reflect that belief, and hopefully they're enjoyable to read. I just have people make up some goofy thing and put it on there while I'm not looking - we have an implied agreement that if anything someone puts up is tooooo offensive, we'll just delete it. It's more fun to leave them up though. Occasionally I get an "unread deleted" and find myself giggling at the poor woman who probably took one of my testimonials too seriously. I feel slightly sorry for them but not enough to stifle the laughter.
 happyrebel
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:15:06 PM
Personally, I think they're a turn-off. It does remind me of the high school yearbooks and the notes people left. I'm beyond that.

HR
 ConcreteCowboyFl
Msg: 381
Posted: 4/23/2009 4:11:41 PM
I'll bet the kid Linda Hogan's seeing has a great testimonial.

barbee1970
Msg: 382
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 10:13:31 PM
Honestly, I would not go by another woman's opinion. I know someone I dated long ago whom we did not mix. He married my late friend who was a perfect match.

We are still casual(purely platonic) friends, but I won't go any farther than that.
Some people click better than others, so I say don't trust tesimonials.
 Lickaliciouss
Msg: 383
Posted: 5/15/2009 8:52:32 AM
JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHY? Got to find out.. why would anyone want a testimonial on their profile... to me that basically says "Hey look at this person... She or He are AMAZING, PERFECT, PASSIONATE, HANDSOME, LOVING, etc.. But does it NOT HONESTLY SHOUT OUT: I Don't Want Them So You Can Have Them? Or better yet... They Are Perfect, Guess I Don't Want a "Perfect" Partner....OMG Is this just too funny? I already know I will catch some flack for this ~ and it's just my opinion ~ Yes I know we all have one... Enjoy the day! Kim
 Templar_2
Msg: 384
Posted: 6/6/2009 6:57:37 PM
My thought processes whan I see a profile with a testimonial is thinking that the guy is kissing the girls ass trying to get laid or hoping that leaving the testimonial will make her consider him.
 Templar_2
Msg: 385
Posted: 6/6/2009 6:57:45 PM
My thought processes whan I see a profile with a testimonial is thinking that the guy is kissing the girls ass trying to get laid or hoping that leaving the testimonial will make her consider him.
 stephanie888
Msg: 386
Posted: 6/6/2009 7:44:09 PM
Yes, OP, Testimonials are a turn-off for me, too. I immediately 'write off' any guy with a testimonial. First off anything good they say will be biased, and yet they're not married to the dude so there must be a reason for that.

If a guy has female friends that are on there telling me how great he is, then #1, is she going to be hanging around while we're dating? And #2, why isn't she dating him herself? I don't want or need his female friends, or ex-dates/girlfriends hanging around my relationship or marriage.

If a guy has male friends on there telling me how great he is, it's kind of pathetic.

Either way it reeks of insecurity to me. A man should stand on his own, and speak for himself.
 stephanie888
Msg: 387
Posted: 6/6/2009 7:59:09 PM
"with regard to the "do you have a car" question. Seems unnecessary to me and actually a number of people who live in large, traffic congested cities don't even bother to own a car and rely on public transportation."

Maybe it's not necessary if one lives in NY or some other big city , but it is a huge difference if you live in more rural areas, and yes I would want to know, so I can easily see why this question is necessary. Dating someone without a car in rural areas would be a lot like being a personal taxi driver, and you wouldn't be going many places for dates, unless you want to hitchhike there.
 plaidass
Msg: 388
Posted: 6/10/2009 4:54:01 AM
Testimonials are: gay, gay, gay. why would i wanna read about a guy, that almost hit it...............then got treated like a wet food stamp. and who cares about your friends. (meaning the testimonial). is he goin on the date with us. Turn off.
 Jewels49
Msg: 389
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:53:34 AM
Love funny testimonials, ...giving and receiving...an opportunity to shamelessly plug yourself, and or have a (playful) dig at someone.
I don't take them seriously!
 markjwing68
Msg: 390
Posted: 7/20/2009 8:30:18 AM
I recently came across a seemingly attractive and dynamic lady whose profile, photos, and narrative gave me no reason to disbelieve her "credentials." However, included in her profile was a testimonial from a guy who seemed overly effusive in praising this lady (great dancer, high integrity, etc.) In addition, the guy stressed that he is "very selective" about people he dates or chooses to be around. I guess this was supposed to demonstrate how special the testimonee is.... and it was this "very selective" quip that I found suspicious and amusing at the same time. That's because I must have read this same guy's testimonials in the profiles of about 40-50 different women! One of these ladies had included me in her "faves" list, so I thought to mention this observation to her, and she responded to tell me she met the guy briefly at a place she either managed or owned and had very little interaction with him, though she did introduce him to some of her friends at the place (apparently, this was some kind of party). She also opined to me that she thinks the writing of testimonials was some kind of game this guy enjoyed playing, because she clearly didn't know him and, more importantly, he did not know her well enough to endorse her socially.

And that's the point... These testimonials are often times hyperbolic expressions of praise that should be taken with an infinitesimal amount of halite.

As I told the lady, I thought the guy's praise of her, though perhaps and probably accurate, was nonetheless diluted by the number of times he offered testimony on behalf of others. I likened it to that Seinfeld episode where the handsome pediatrician in the Hamptons tells Elaine he thinks she is "breathtaking", and yet later he'd use the same expression to describe a rather unattractive baby.
 Calli0219
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 8:43:45 AM
I like the reference to that Seinfeld episode. LOL.

Personally, I find testimonials a deal breaker for me. Every time I come across one, it's always a woman saying things like 'he is soooo handsome..you better watch out girls, because I can't wait to see him again'. (the operative word is always 'again'.)

Most of them I come across are more like a cat peeing and marking territory. The women always talk about what a great time they had, how they can't wait to see him again, and on and on. And some go on and on about the guy and then I wonder why aren't they together then? I read so many where they have sexual overtones to their testimonials. It's way too much info for me...I see too many that sound they are still competing for him. It seems like a 'look at me!' type thing.

Totally works against men. They probably keep them up for their egos, but it works the opposite, because it seems that they are already seeing someone, taken,or whooooaaaa, we better watch out for the man eater that's bragging. LOL>

I think it's a stupid feature.
 readyfornow
Msg: 392
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:13:33 AM
I take testimonials with not a grain but a pillar of salt. Most of the time, the person writing the testimonial probably never even met the recipient; just kissing up in the hope of getting a date. Furthermore the recipient usually keeps the glowing endorsement as an ego boost. When I date somebody, I don't broadcast it. If I really like her, I'll ask her out again. JMO.
 lovemesomemen
Msg: 393
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:20:02 AM
I don't see the point of testimonials. If you have a great date....why broadcast? If you had a crappy time or hate the guy...why be so petty and post something hateful on their profile?
 tbuddha
Msg: 394
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:56:40 AM
Is it just me, or are most of the testimonials on women's profiles by clingy guys that have been put in the "friend zone"?
 karma1160
Msg: 395
Posted: 7/20/2009 11:33:48 AM
The only testimonial I would take to heart would be one from a sister or a daughter.
If they are so great why didn't the person doing the testimonial grab them?
 bucsgirl
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 8:48:35 PM
Scanned/read this thread and many others...it seems to be the hot button...favorites list/testimonials.

A turnoff...yeah...and if someone has over __ number of favorites...they're attention whores. See them, read them..posted to a very few.

If you participate in the forums much...how is that different from..why can't I get a date...or what's wrong with me. I don't sweat over it or wring my hands..what I have realized is this. There seems to be some...ehh maybe it's a need or an obsession to fill in the blank. Why _____ does _______ or____ or is that a _________.

Not that anyones cares or should they, but I don't ponder nor does this keep me up at night.

Yeah...I get it, there may be and yeah I've seen them too...the obsessive need for attention. ANY attention, positive or negative. And yes I have had an email or two from someone who had the sexual pics.....if you favorite me, I'll favorite you. In over 4 years...it's 2.

The testimonials...like the favorite lists it's a feature. Offered to use or not use. Nothing more nothing less..but sheesh they both get more "press" (that's a media reference..anyone watch TMZ? Yeah..it's that)

I've had the personal emails...unsolicited advice and the forum posts. Those that write me, and do make a comment other than...you'd get a LOT more email if you did this. WHAA...a scan of my profile...looking for friends...it's self explanatory. Sometimes women really do mean what they say...go figure. And my profile...and all the others...so over the top it's for fun (mine...yes I'm SO selfish) and if someone else gets a giggle or three...great. I won't bore anyone with my email. It's personal but I'm never cleaning out the dust bunnies.

Those that have saved me to favs, I've had personal contact with/interaction with. Those that have posted testimonials...okay so I should delete them because what would people think or assume. Good Lord....not gonna happen.

It's noones business, they are all are my friends and they know that. So yeah trash the testimonials...I do get it, but there's not any of mine who are so excited to say how amazing a lover I am...or a great "date". Maybe I should get references...ah silly ME..am I missing out. I get it, I'm one of those freaksonature who's not looking or wanting to "date" whatever the hell THAT is..but not a nun and do leave my house and socialize.

Discount me...waa....look at my favs list...it's SO intimidating...waa I'm crying in my beer. And please, whatever you do DON"T even scroll down the testimonials! I won't be able to sleep...

Ehh...well don't feel sorry for me...warm beer and cold pizza...my life is shyt. I would post more but I have to go CRY incessantly in my flat pillow.

barbee1970
Msg: 397
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:04:01 PM
They are a turn off when a woman he dated puts kisses and hugs so and so. Fine, keep dating him then.

I don't go by testimonials. I might relate to a guy diffenrently that the woman before, simply cause we all have different personalities.
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 398
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:08:52 PM
i have ONE testimonial on my profile and it's heart warming to know at least ONE woman thinks the world of me!!!
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 399
Posted: 7/20/2009 11:37:28 PM
Testimonials stink becuase onyl people in your favorites can give one. A bad date would no longer be in your favorites or one that did not work out. The only people who give testimonials are friends of the person. You really cant; trust a friend who ahs nothing but good things to say about them. No honest criticism. there needs to be a button that you cna click if you dated a person followed by them clicking on it in their inbox to agree to that. then they write a testimonial for each other. I got all the ideas!
 Cupcake008
Msg: 400
Posted: 7/20/2009 11:57:26 PM
I like to form my own judgements. Testimonials don't sway me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?