Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Little Princess~
Msg: 451
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?Page 19 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
testimonials are funny to read...i laugh at them all the time...there is this man who has about 8 of them on his profile from women...ok they all say what a nice and great guy he is a such a great catch...so why don't these women want him...and other women who write about this guy or that guy but why aren't they keeping him? oh let's not forget the guys who write about a women they laid with...love these it keeps me far from them but it shows the other guys how easy this woman is to go after her...
 ellena.
Msg: 452
view profile
History
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?
Posted: 4/11/2010 7:13:25 AM
It's my expeerience that testimonials tend too be mutual.
I mean two persons tend to agree to write one for each other If you look at the profile of the person that testified you will find the person they testified for testified for them also.. I am suspicious about that ,
 TallBlondeSwan
Msg: 453
Posted: 4/11/2010 12:25:48 PM
If these people haven't even met, I don't see the point unless it's to say, "They know how to use a semi-colon and never end a sentence with a preposition."
 SJB2010
Msg: 454
Posted: 4/11/2010 8:05:28 PM

I mean, if someone's THAT popular, why are they still single?

Huh? So because someone may be popular thats means they must be taken too? So wait, you're saying you'd rather date a loner with no friends, because someone with A LOT of friends but single must be something wrong with them? ...
 sanyoman112
Msg: 455
Posted: 7/9/2010 6:00:53 PM
Yeah, I saw this testimonial left by a guy on a woman's profile, the part that had me scratching my head was, "If she wasn't my friend, I'd snatch her up in a heart beat"

Then he went on about how hot she is.

I wonder about that. lol
 theforumfiend
Msg: 456
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 10:44:15 PM
I pay good for the testimonies on my profile so they stay. However, I can agree that in some situations the testimonials are downright creepy. Some read as a warning because someone else has staked a claim. Next... the only drama I'm interested in is in the movie I'm watching or book I'm reading.
 sanyoman112
Msg: 457
Posted: 7/10/2010 4:50:24 AM

I pay good for the testimonies on my profile so they stay.

You PAY for your testimonies? I don't understand. Actually in MOST situations it's weird, typically when I see it on a woman's profile, it's about some guy that either did actually date her, or more than likely was put in the friendzone and I'm figuring the only reason he placed the testimonial saying how "hot" she is, and if "she wasn't my friend, I'd date her!"...is that he has a thing for her, but she wasn't interested.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 458
Posted: 7/10/2010 7:29:46 AM
Why is it so hard to understand that people who are mature enough to realize they have a lifestyle difference yet see that another person is a great catch? I had/have friends and FWB's who are great catches...just not for me...Sometimes it's because they have an activity that dominates their life others it's something like them smoking....it doesn't make them bad, just not for me. yet I can see that they would be a great catch for someone who was into the same stuff they were.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 459
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 9:20:45 AM

Why is it so hard to understand that people who are mature enough to realize they have a lifestyle difference yet see that another person is a great catch

Because most of them read like the person providing the testimonial is just shagging them until something better comes along.......The average person is turned off by that. Prospective dates look at the person(s) providing the testiment and wonder if they are getting THAT person's cast-offs. People don't want to see a prospective date's FWB pics plastered on the profile of the person they are considering meeting or dating!

Testimonials and recommendations are great on LinkedIn and professional websites. They are usually strange, awkward, and sometimes downright creepy on PoF. IRL, people don't phone up someone's friends or exes asking for character references before they decide to meet them.

Cheers
 MisterDynomite
Msg: 460
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 10:29:40 AM
I think testimonials are one of those things that sounded good when it was presented as an idea before testing it... but the end result usually is a lot of people read them and see how many people have something good to say about that person and think... "Well.. that guy had a lot of good things to say about her.. sounds like he's almost hinting to her that HE wants her.. or he's shagging her.. ok i'll back off cause i don't want to be 2nd choice" - Or a Woman reads a man's profile and sees a bunch of women saying good things about him and sees the other women's testimonials as her "competition with a face attached" .. it repells them because it looks like he's a player, or even further, "If he's such a nice guy... why isn't any of these ladies taking him? hmmmmm.. maybe one of them IS in the process?"

Or shes shagging him.. lol

A few years ago when I had my testimonials, I got a PM of a lady asking me simply "You're f*****g these women, aren't ya? (lol)" <---- her exact pm.. straight forward. then after that 2 more pm's similar (but less 'straight forward' and maybe a month apart but nonetheless..) it was a wake up call for me because you're always going to look at your own broadcasted compliments (from others) in the brightest light anyway.... but it's pretty much flip reversed when you step out of your own shoes and see what it looks like outside looking in.

IMO, I'd rather a pm compliment than one thats broadcasted in a testimonial to everyone..

Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 461
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 10:35:10 AM
They are there as an ego boost for the person who needs them---apparently any modicum of attention, even if it's dripping with sarcasm, is better than none at all.
 MisterDynomite
Msg: 462
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 10:43:00 AM
Oh i forgot to add to my original post..

Those testimonials that end with "If you hurt him/her then you'll have to answer to ME!!!"

Really? Answer to you?? What are you.. his Mother or his Wife? Possessive much?

this is NOT a good look in testimonials.. EVER! It's like someone scribbled graffiti on the bottom of your profile but used s**t as ink.... different repellant but same results.

BOT TAK
Msg: 463
Posted: 7/10/2010 3:11:01 PM

i would be inclined to put more stock in testimonals if people could actually say something like this:

"i dated this guy once. we went to a really nice restaurant. he said "order anything you want!" and then, after the prime rib and chateau lafite, he laughed and said he forgot his wallet!!! but he felt free to grope me in the parking lot for dessert. i probably wouldn't have minded the groping, except he had a comb-over which makes him, like, at least 15 years older than the picture he posted online. just, eew. be careful out there, ladies."
Too bad we can't do that because you have to be on this person's favorite list to be able to write the testimonials...
I wonder who would let you stay there if you wrote all this sh!t

It's my expeerience that testimonials tend too be mutual.
not always..someone asked me to write the testimonial for him...well, why not? but I don't need an advertisement - I know I am the best

As for these testimonaials (exluding forum buddies patting...lol) I consider the men with testimonials something un-dateable. Because if I like him enough to date why would I write to everyone how good he is...I'd rather date him myself.

and all this things about " "he is just not right for me"...yeah, right....but right for who? and does she need my approval of him then?? I consider them very stupid thing
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 464
Posted: 7/10/2010 3:38:07 PM
People don't want to see a prospective date's FWB pics plastered on the profile of the person they are considering meeting or dating!

Wow! there's a big assumption on YOUR part! But to me that would be GOOD....It gives me insight....and I wouldn't want to waste my time on someone who makes such assumptions.

I consider the men with testimonials something un-dateable. Because if I like him enough to date why would I write to everyone how good he is...I'd rather date him myself.

The point is...maybe you dated the person, maybe not...but you KNOW them and whatever the reason....you both KNOW you're not right for each other.

Have you people every come across a BIKER?, a TREKKIE, an AVID EXTREME SPORTS PERSON...etc.?

I have...I thought they where wonderful people in some cases...but their lifestyle didn't suit mine. On the other hand someone into or more accepting of those lifestyles might be perfectly fine with those people. In every walk of life, regardless of lifestyle, there are D-Bags....a testimonial is a way of someone who KNOWS the person to confirm that they don't think the person is a D-Bag.

It's no different than one of your friends significant others telling you about a guy/girl they know that is great but single....

....Grow up people! Geesh!

CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 465
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 7:00:51 PM

Wow! there's a big assumption on YOUR part! But to me that would be GOOD....It gives me insight....and I wouldn't want to waste my time on someone who makes such assumptions.

That's right, and it's the same assumption many women are also making about profiles with testimonials. We don't have the time to bring in a psychoanalyst to read between-the-lines on profiles. We have to make snap decisions, and it's very easy for women to move onto the next profile. And, we do.

To not understand the POV of so many people who find testimonials annoying, unnecessary, or downright offensive means that you may have lost sight of what your profile is intended to do. No offense man, but is your profile intended to build your ego or should it be selling you in the best possible light? I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with your particular profile or that you have to change it up, but if even 1/4 of the female population find something about a profile that causes them to avoid it, is that a "good ad?" Profiles with testimonials from non-platonic "friends" will probably not put off other FWB types, unless you're seeking something else. People might think twice if you are looking for "long term."

The fact that people sometimes pass over others with testimonials is NOT good because you never find out the real reason why they are not interested. Women will either not write to you, not write back, or might be dismissive about the real reason. Here you read opinions positive and negative, but misfired on what the "insight" actually was.

Cheers
 brandished
Msg: 466
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 7:50:36 PM
I think testimonials are simply statements/endorsements from one person to another, in order for those who are seeking (whatever it is they are seeking) to see something other than their own interpretation of a profile they are perusing?!

Then again I'm not here for dating so my opinion may not matter one iota?!

In any event, IMO, I would think that the more information a person has when perusing a potential profile the better?? More to talk about if your willing to contact said profile, or at the very least information that tells you, no thanks?!

theforumfiend
Msg: 467
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 10:52:45 PM
No sanyoman, I don't really pay for testimonials. That
was me being a smarta$$.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 468
Posted: 7/11/2010 12:36:39 PM
I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with your particular profile or that you have to change it up, but if even 1/4 of the female population find something about a profile that causes them to avoid it, is that a "good ad?"

Um, no...it would be a TERRIBLE ad......a GREAT ad would eliminate 99.9% of the population.....so only the type that have POTENTIAL for me are attracted to it!

Now, you're getting the picture....I DON'T WANT a lot of responses...I want the RIGHT responses....

I don't want to date a a lot of women to find out this or that doesn't fit....my profile is designed to ELIMINATE women with whom I won't get along with.

See everyone is looking for the needle in the haystack but they keep forking more and more hay onto the stack......if you want to find the needle, set the hay on fire....wait until the only thing left is the needle....a VERY HOT needle! lol!
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 469
Posted: 7/11/2010 1:27:44 PM
For me testimonial look like another cheesy marketing ploy and are fairly easy to fabricate. I look at them as being as believable as the ads on tv. For me someone with testimonials on their profile looks like they are trying too hard. I prefer to come to my own conclusions about another person rather than rely on those of strangers. So I would have to say a turn off for me. Just my opinion for what its worth.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 470
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2010 2:00:38 PM

Now, you're getting the picture....I DON'T WANT a lot of responses...I want the RIGHT responses....

Gotcha! You want a woman who is able to look past an endless stream of FWBs, and compare herself to them before she even writes. It could work........So give that prospective woman something to work with - why don't you ask your testimonials to give you a few X-rated statements? (I have definitely seen stuff that comes pretty close). Take it up a few notches. Get them to write how much they enjoyed working with you on on "Rock of Love," and that the new woman might need to keep a defibrillator handy (for herself) just in case......

What I'd really like to see are objective opinions, good and bad, which we will never see because you have to favourite someone to be able to leave a testimonial. No one is going to favourite someone who is likely to suggest they need little blue pills.......

Fun, fun, fun.........

Tootles.......
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 471
Posted: 7/11/2010 5:24:26 PM

Gotcha! You want a woman who is able to look past an endless stream of FWBs, and compare herself to them before she even writes.

He he....the RIGHT woman wouldn't be so insecure as to feel the need to compare herself to ANYBODY, she would be confident enough and secure enough to KNOW she's got them beat!
Ha! you tell so much of yourself....without even realizing it!

I won't date another insecure woman or a prude....been there, done that!
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 472
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2010 6:53:50 PM

Gotcha! You want a woman who is able to look past an endless stream of FWBs, and compare herself to them before she even writes.

He he....the RIGHT woman wouldn't be so insecure as to feel the need to compare herself to ANYBODY, she would be confident enough and secure enough to KNOW she's got them beat!

I won't date another insecure woman or a prude....been there, done that!

It's human nature for both men and women to subconsciously compare themselves to the competition that's out there. Just because a woman does this doesn't mean that she's insecure or that she will conclude that she's lacking. If anything, the person who feels the need to collect testimonials for validation and as proof that others of the opposite sex find them desirable is the one who is insecure.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 473
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2010 7:01:59 PM

Of course I do, because I don't ask peeps to write testimonials for me! I could always ask my BF to write one for me, but wouldn't that be redundant? Also begs the question - if your BF writes you a testimonial on PoF, shouldn't you wonder why?

Tootles.........
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 474
Posted: 7/11/2010 8:39:34 PM

:

Of course I do, because I don't ask peeps to write testimonials for me! I could always ask my BF to write one for me, but wouldn't that be redundant? Also begs the question - if your BF writes you a testimonial on PoF, shouldn't you wonder why?

Tootles.........

....makes no sense!

Neither does being on a dating site if you have a BF/GF....Oh, yeah....it's for the FORUMS.......and just in case.....
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 475
Posted: 7/13/2010 11:30:51 AM

They are there as an ego boost for the person who needs them---apparently any modicum of attention, even if it's dripping with sarcasm, is better than none at all.

You mean like kinda pimping your self out like writing about your self in a POF account??? isn't that what people do?? telling every one how great of a catch they are???? PLEASE!

I consider the testimonies I write a civic duty to warn others about the people I have met!!!

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?