Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 retrogirl44
Msg: 101
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?Page 5 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
oh lol I forgot to point out that my testimonials are from women and 2 men who are my best friends and have known me for years
so mine are all about the person I really am
and too me thats not soo bad
I still get messages
 nascar3fan
Msg: 102
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?
Posted: 6/15/2007 1:05:29 PM
To me, testicles are a turn off. Testimonials, not as much.
 Jetplague
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/15/2007 2:45:12 PM
I still don't see how they could be a "turn off", testimonials are almost references from other people that can vouch for your character. I suppose if women had more men on their testimonials and men had lots of women on there...that might make the person wonder what the dilly-o was. But really...does it hurt to ask that person about the others? I mean really...if your that insecure why the hell are you on a dating/friends site in the first place? I would think speaking to another person would make you tremble with fear each every time you and an email.
 Heres_me_too
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/15/2007 6:50:05 PM
I happen to think the testimonials are silly. If someone is that wonderful, then why isn't the person writing the testimonial still dating them? As someone else has already mentioned....the person who it is written about, is in control of which testimonials stay on the profile and which ones do not.
Happy fishing
Darlene
 Xtrasensory
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:19:52 PM
Wow, it really seems that there are still too many close minded people in this world. open your eyes and exapand your mind as I said before, there are way too many variables as to what answers the "if so and so is so great, then why aren't they still dating them?" Question.

Take this for example, you're talking with someone for a while and the topic of religion comes up. You aren't religious, but they can't date someone (for whatever reason) who is not of the same religion, HOWEVER they still think you are a great person, but obviously the dating aspect won't really workout. So what some of you people are saying is that, just because of this fact that there are some things that may make someone not able to date you, they should not vouch for your character? I'm shocked that you people (not all of you, so calm down) who complain about the profiles that you see and whatever wouldn't want some info as to what the person is really like.

I like the testimonials, you can then figure out in a quicker fashion when communicating if the profile is really them, and what the people who wrote the testimonials were talking about.

People, live OUTSIDE the box for once. *shakes head and walks out*
 kindncute
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:50:17 PM
I was on the fence with this one until I read one that was a total turnoff. I think when they are positive and thoughtful then great I even find them helpful but when the women start saying how great a guy is in the sack then I don't even bother looking at it anymore. Totally kills any interest I might've had in the profile! That might be closed minded but somethings for me are personal and private and that is one of them. If he is so great then why are they not together? Why is that needed? I think those types of testimonials do more harm then good.
 P.A.T.C.H.
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/15/2007 11:17:06 PM
If he is so great then why are they not together?

ANOTHER person who hasn't read through out the thread!!
That exact question has been answered MANY times over and over again in this exact thread!!!!

Do you not have any male friends that you think are great guys... perfect in so many ways for someone but just not for you?? Someone that has so many awesome qualities but you just don't feel that romantic chemistry with them?? Well.... SO DO WE!!! Why not take the time to say a few nice words about your friends?
I think it's great when someone has testimonials on their profile from friends because like i've stated early in this thread... it shows they are respected and those people think highly of them.

I personally have met some really great guys on this site and many of them have become dear friends to me now... you know why? Because I can recognize that they are great guys BUT I simply just don't feel the romantic chemistry between us but instead a friendship connection. I think very highly of my friends and I WILL say nice things about them because it makes them feel good as well as lets others know what the people surrounding them think of them. It's a lot easier for us to point out their great qualities because if they say them.... then you'd all be complaining about all the c*cky/conceided people on this site.

If a good male friend of yours decided to write a few nice words for you in a testimonial on your profile... would you think it's wrong? Would you delete it because OMG that's such a turn off??

OF COURSE we don't care to hear how amazing that guy is in bed from anyone else... we would rather experience the 1-10 scale on our own... but if someone has it in their profile, then skip past it!! It's up to that person to realize majority of us don't want to hear or see who some of their past partners were.
 Xtrasensory
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2007 11:45:10 PM
^^^^^ Hi P.A.T.C.H, well said homegirl
 retrogirl44
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/16/2007 5:30:58 AM
thank you thank you P.A.T.C.H. and K M-C
excatly what I was trying to say
 charger21
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/29/2007 9:22:32 AM
For Saps....last ditch effort to get her to consider you...
 My I
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/30/2007 3:10:22 PM
The testimonials helped me out. I ran across a profile in which she appeared to be a great woman. I read her testimonials and because of the testimonials I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

The testimonials had descriptions such as :
sexy
affectionate
makes good breakfasts (or something similar about breakfst)

The list goes on... the reason I didn't contact her is because the guys who wrote the testimonials were 29 and 31. She was in her mid -forties.

So, in effect, testimonials can work in a negative and/or positive manner. In this case... it depends on how old you are.
 Celticmist
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/1/2007 10:43:15 AM
There is only one judgement I trust when it comes to choising who I would like to be with and that is my judgement. I have read a couple of testimonials of people I went out with and they just were not true, so no they don't turn me off, I just ignore and wait until I meet the person, so I can form my own opinion aboout them.
 porterbrook
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/1/2007 3:13:15 PM
testimonials SUCK

testimonials should be SCRAPPED

testimonials are UUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

testimonials are just not for me..........i hate them
 Seavoyage
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2007 9:05:58 PM
I would read the testimonials sometimes. I think it is nice when someone has people who think highly of them. I wouldn't base everything on that, though.
 Jillianxad
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/2/2007 7:10:17 AM
That's what I think as well when I see how great this guy is from some girl who dated him.......Seems a bit hokey to me, I don't tend to pay much attention to them myself or read them, did at first but sometimes they seem strangely uncomfortable in their gushing over someone so I had to stop.
 porterbrook
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/2/2007 3:58:45 PM
K M-C

so by your rekoning then some one can tell a lot about a person from what some one has wrote about them in a testimonial............right........ok

so all i have gathered about your two testimonials from the two girls who appear to fancy the pants off you is that really these women think your a good catch and your a good looking guy....i cant remember all what they wrote but what it tells me is that these two girls fancy you.

remember iam male and i DONT fancy you..............so in what way does your two testimonials other than two girls fancy you tell me any thing in anyway about the real you.

unless you had wrote in your profile that women ACTUALLY fancy you then i guess your profile could tell me more about you than a testimonial.
 Xtrasensory
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2007 9:54:22 PM
^^^ Ask any female who knows me on this site.
The other things were: Sexy , sweet, funny, kindhearted, respectful
he is the the nicest man by far that i have ever met here on pof

Testimonial #2
he is really funny!! A good friend to talk to,Great listener.

If you read my post propertly, you would see that I said you can figure out if it's for real more easily when you are chatting with the person when you see what others have said. Both Testimonials that are on my page, I've heard over and over again from both male and female friends, so they actually do describe part of me perfectly. PLUS, I'll take the pepsi taste challenge of personality to prove it. (Not that it's worth anything really lol).
 porterbrook
Msg: 118
Posted: 7/3/2007 4:55:23 AM
K M-C

i wasnt having a go at you in any way.....

but iam all those things, iam kind, caring, considerate, funny, passionate, charming,sweet (i think) ,respectfull and most importantly loyal....and i guess most of the people who actually know me know all this but no one on this site i message know any of these things because they have never met me.

my heart is in the right place and i will do any thing for any one but the one thing i lack is the "good looks" and a guys image is the first thing people see on sites so i dont get any women fancying the pants off me.........i have never had any woman that i know feel this way about me.

all women "know" of me is what i write on here and of the pictures of me that they see, if any of the women on here knew the "real" me and looked beyond the pictures they would see the "real" me.

when i was on here the first time i met a woman from off POF , we only met once and she wrote the only testimonial i have ever had....., its funny that the only time i met some one off here she then wrote a testimonial.........i have been messaging a few women on here for quite a while , i listen to them and be polite and funny within our messages but hey do i get a testimonial off them for being funny, polite and caring...................do i heck............because they dont fancy the pants off me thats why.................lol
 sickntired2
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 6:55:47 AM
I personally don't put too much credence in to the testimonials. They are an interesting read, but I always keep in mind that usually meeting for the first few times (if they have indeed met in person), people have a tendency to put their best foot forward...Not the real foot forward. That and - well the fisher can obviously modify the testimonials ie take them off if it's negative. Don't rely on them too much and don't take them too seriously.
 retrogirl44
Msg: 120
Posted: 7/3/2007 9:36:22 AM

but the one thing i lack is the "good looks"

digitalwonder you should not think yourself as man who lacks "good looks"
I looked at you pics and I think you look nice
if a women is going to judge you on looks alone then Hon.... Move on
a person has many great qualities and thats what they should be looking At

I say if you dont like a testimonial then don't bother to scroll down to the bottom and look at them.
Its that simple
Retro
 zuzus_petals
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 5:14:34 PM
I really don't consider testamonials at all. I prefer to form my opinions. Most of the ones I have read are from women making it seem as though it's some type of competition for the guy anyway. Not my thing.
 Rox_
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/3/2007 6:30:54 PM
jillianxad... I'm with you. I always thing..wow if he/she is so wonderful and you think they are the best thing since sliced bread... why aren't you dating them. Inquring minds.
 Leeanne
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 7:35:00 PM
Too bad some people have to put such a negative spin on something so nice and from the heart of people that care for them!! I for one am honoured to have my friends say such nice things about me!! If people have such negative attitudes about the good things in life - It makes me wonder how they view the world in general! Not a nice way to show yourself to others - negativity begets negativity!
 Wild heart
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/3/2007 7:53:13 PM
There are some testimonials that are heartfelt and from true friends - one can usually spot those and they are nice to read.

However, I am more against them and the whole lots of favs thing as I have met people who actually use this as an ego booster and nothing more. This is usually in the guise of men writing about women or vice versa. It just looks a little off having tons of opposite sex testimonials. It's kinda like someone having a ton of testimonials, then they meet someone, list themselves as not single and "poof" away go the testimonials! Just friends huh?
 My I
Msg: 125
Posted: 7/3/2007 8:04:45 PM
Too bad some people have to put such a negative spin on something so nice and from the heart of people that care for them!!

Keep in mind Leanne, some guys submitted testimonials as a means to thump their chest and indirectly tell other guys he scored with her. There are a lot of "Friends" submitting nice testimonials but, there are also alot of men/women indicating their conquest.

On some profiles... first impressions are everything. Some testimonials are not very good first impressions. Not meaning to pick a certain group/demographic but, if you read testimonials from some of the "younger men/older women" type relationships... it's not that dignified in many cases.

Some descriptions I've read in many testimonials:

"She's a real woman" - **no shit, sherlock**

"Knows how to treat a man." - **coming from a 22 year old guy means, she supplies the condom and puts it on for him - lol**

"Don't miss out on this one guys." - ** "This one"? I guess this is Toys R' Us**

My point is.... testimonials may be of good intention and may be served in the right manner for some people but I don't think they serve good to other people... it's a catch-22.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?