Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the per      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sara_danielle
Msg: 51
First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
The reality is, if you meet a person and find them unattractive, then it's part of the chemistry. I would like to think that personality plays some part in attraction and what makes a person truly beautiful. Maybe I am naive.
You're going to find out eventually what they look like, and what better way to do it than a real-life, face-to-face encounter? Then there's nothing that can be hidden. This is the downfall of online dating, it seems: the lapse between "meeting" someone and meeting them.

Aside: My photos are recent and honest. Truly.
 spauls49
Msg: 52
First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 1/30/2007 3:35:01 PM
I really do find this interesting and entertaining - more people in this thread have said that the people the met looked nothing like the person in the photo...I find that incredible.

Damnbabyrob eluded to this, and it was something I was going to ask but did not want to bring it up just due to the way it may come off sounding...but here goes:

Ros is right: I've seen both men and women on here put for height several inchest taller than they are, or for weight put 'thin' when they really are a 'few extra pounds'....now again things are relative - a person who says average may be thin, or a person who's a few extra pounds may be average, but I just can not get over why people could say thin, then post a photo of themselves 40 pounds overweight...again it's not about looks, it's about honesty and moreso people who do this must think that the rest of us who look at their photos are Idiots.
 Charlie Shift
Msg: 53
First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 1/30/2007 5:58:24 PM
I haven't been on here very long and I've only met two men. One did not have a picture posted but quickly sent me one with an e-mail before I could even ask. He told me the dates of the photos and that he was now clean-shaven. He looked like what I expected him to look like.

The other man had photos posted on here and I thought he was a nice-looking guy. When I met him, he was even better looking than his photos. Very attractive man.

So, lucky me, I guess.

When people put lies on their profiles (and, no, I haven't found any), it tells me a lot about them. Either they're just plain ole liars or they don't really expect to meet anyone on here. I mean, why say you're average if you're 300 lbs.? Why show a photo of you with a head full of hair if you don't have all that hair anymore. Like we wouldn't notice the discrepancy when we meet you. Or the guy who said he was 5'11" and he's 5'6". I mean, I'm only five feet tall, but even I would notice that!!!!

People, just be who you are and post what you look like. Geez.....shoulda learned this years ago.
 squirterforyou
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/30/2007 8:57:34 PM
I agree with you spauls... for both men and women fibbing with weight or height.

Both of mine are accurate, I am a BBW, no way I want to hide it or lie...... and I am short. So many skip over that part of the profile and say I look smaller in the picture. In all fairness my butt matches my boobs, so I am rounded all over. I state this and also make sure I address it in the first reply to any interested POF memebers. Then there is less confusion.

Every day I look different.... my hair could be straight, curled, up, braided..... I ask the person I am meeting their preference since I have both the straight and curled pics on my profile.

Just some common sense would be wise. Why bother to hide what you are and then actually meet in person????
 EyesOfSoul
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/31/2007 12:04:29 PM
I have met probablly 10 people from this site and ALOT of them look wayyy better in pictures lol but 1 or 2 looked better in person too. Its fusterating cuz i question them and they say ohh yah thats from like 2 years ago and i was in way better shape then and blah blah.
 claire2282
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/31/2007 12:27:47 PM
"OMG, way beyond expectations, one of the hottest, sexiest, most attractive people I've ever met, not kidding. I had a hard time taking my eyes off of him, told him so many times, I'm pretty open like that when I'm impressed and I'm not easily impressed, this one did it though, stunned me, and his personality matches his looks, very cool, the whole package."

CAN I HAVE THIS GUYS NAME AND NUMBER PLEASE? WHERE DOES HE LIVE?
 claire2282
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/31/2007 12:32:20 PM
OBVIOUSLY, PEOPLE ARE BOUND TO PUT A MORE FLATTERING PICTURE OF THEMSELVES COS THEY WOULDN'T GET ANY REPLIES IF THEY DIDN'T! PEOPLE ARE SHALLOW THAT WAY, ESPECIALLY WHEN LOOKS, AND A FEW EXCHANGED PARAGRAPHS ARE ALL THEY HAVE TO GO ON. OF COURSE MY PICTURES ARE REAL, AND THEY DO LOOK LIKE ME
USUALLY PEOPLE HAVE MORE THAN 1 PIC ON HERE SO COMPARE AND USE YOUR BETTER JUDGEMENT, IF THERE'S A BIG DISGREPANCY BETWEEN THE PIC'S - LIKE FORTY OR SO POUNDS!...THEN YOU KNOW THEY'RE LYING
 k.kong
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/31/2007 12:44:35 PM
Well, when I go out on that date, I have to shave, wax, shave, find a car, and well, I end up looking like the photo of the other guy that I send
 Dave_Ottawa
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/31/2007 4:44:04 PM
Well then I guess for me i've been lucky never had someone look different then their pic but i can see the problem with that happening.
 jannick06
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2007 4:48:04 PM
some of us just put our goofiest picture on and hope for the best lol
 Pinktoes321
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2007 7:27:11 PM
Wow, this seems to be a very touchy subject for some.
But here's the question, does it really matter? If you "connect" with someone does it really matter what they look like on screen over what they look like in 3D? Besides, if you hook up with someone long-term, in 5-10 years, none of us are going to look exactly as we do today anyway. How many changes have you seen your friends go through in the last 5-10 years.

Yes, I've had the guy who posted 10 year old photos and showed up looking like Uncle Fester. On the flip side, I have met guys that look just like their pictures or better than their pictures - bonus!

And, I agree that "old" pictures shouldn't be posted. What is old? Old is either greater than 2 years or there has been a significant amount of change in ones appearance to be reasonably noticable.

I have been blessed in that I am pretty photogenic. Honestly, I may not look exactly like my picture (at least I don't think I look like that in the mirror). My pictures are current - 1, 2 and 4 months old. And I think that is only fair.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Carolyn Wells
 icegoddess
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/31/2007 8:23:46 PM
I won't meet anyone unless I know the photos are current and actually of the person I'm talking to. Webcams are great for being able to see the person IRL. I used to meet without photos.... you get shocked a couple times that's all it takes to make yourself set a standard.

And when I get excuses like, they're on my other computer, or I don't have a digital camera or I just haven't made the time... well guess what until you use that little cell phone camera work and take the time to upload a photo I won't have the time for you!
 carolinawolfie
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/31/2007 8:45:36 PM
I've been on a few "online" dates and must say that only twice did I even recognize the lady when we met. All the other times they had to walk up to me and say hello. Not that they looked bad necessarily just so completely different than their picture. Was I mad? Nope. Did it make me wonder if they were "stretching" the truth on other things? Weeeeeellllllll.....

Wanderling
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/31/2007 9:03:17 PM
I feel torn with this issue, im a fairly cute gal but im not photogenic at all. I have pictures of myself but Im nervous to put them up because I dont think they represent me fairly. I can see where everyone is coming from because I have had it happen to me where the guy looks way different than the pictures, unless it's a tottaly diff guy I tend to give the benefit of the doubt....it's a problem for me so chances are there are others that dont take good pics either. And guys....sometimes when a gal says she's better lookin in person she really means it.
 rigwidow
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/31/2007 9:33:54 PM
Well I dont have a picture posted , the main reason is that I really dont like to have pictures of myself taken , so there are very few to be found anywhere . I have been told that I am a nice looking woman . but I am almost 43 years old and I look it . I am very honest about what I look like . I think some people are to hung up on looks and think others are just trying to be more attactive to others .By putting up there favorite picture . My favorite pictures I have seen so far on here are one of a sunset , and a polar bear .
 WomanofFaith50
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2007 9:48:04 PM
well some people have said on here that looks aren't that important to me......WELL IF YOU SAW A PIC IN THEIR PROFILE THAT REALLY FLIPPED YOUR TRIGGER THEN YOU MET THEM AND THEY LOOK NOTHING LIKE THAT... YOU WOULD FEEL THEY HAVE LIED, RIGHT?...so why would you even want that person as a friend?...unless you don't mind having liars as friends. no thanks !....one man about two yrs ago had a nice pic on his profile I invested two months into talking to him. Finally he felt quilty and told me the pic wasen't even him he took it off someone else's profile. He then emailed me a pic of a man that was NOT good looking and about 60 yrs old, YUK!..Needless to say I said SEE YA!...you only KNOW who u are really talking to online if YOU GET A CAM!.....then there is NO surprises. After that man did me that way I always have anyone I am going to meet get a cam, borrow a cam or buy one....and let me see WHO I am actually going to meet.
Have anyone of you heard the story of the guy that was 20 yrs old that was writing to a girl that had a GREAT pic she said she lived in Florida?......he went to meet her...a man opened the door...said he was her brother and she would be right down from upstairs in just a few minutes so have a seat.....he sat down the man attacked him killed him and drove his car around for DAYS!...that is how the cops found this guy he was obviously crazy!...so be careful everyone online. The best and safest thing to do is see the person on cam and talk with them on the phone if you get strange vibes just move on.I have met good people online but we all should be safe with how we go about it. Meet in a public place the first time it's always safer that way... have a good one...Julie
 Pres02
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/1/2007 12:55:33 AM
i think the first thing we all look at and for is "looks". what else is going to attract us first. i've had a lot of "meetings" but few dates. one guy was short and even told me when we met that he lied about his height because women didn't like short men. duh
 Aquarianbloke
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2007 3:33:34 AM
And why do people post pictures of celebrities here? I have seen people posing as Sophia Loren, Keira Knightley and Sarah Brightman? What is that about?

I am sure that many others are using scanned pictures of professional models.

It is misrepresentation.

Post pictures of yourself or not at all.
 tattoo_lurch
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2007 8:05:06 AM
lol yeah i met a girl who looked nothing like she did in her supposed photo... so when i saw her flabby arm waving above the crowd at me (she said she was skinny) i just jumped back on the train and went to the next stop then caught a train back home lol.

It sounds cruel as hell but i personally hate liers, i couldn't stand the idea of someone lieing to me just so that they could meet me... it made me wnder what else she'd lie about so thats my reason for being so cruel
 dalek1967
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2007 10:21:21 AM
Maybe I am unique but I keep my profile honest. My pic is not to old, a few months maybe, and my description is honest too. I have met ladies several times and they get what they expected because I ask them just that. I even put my negative in mine. No need hiding it anyway. To me that would be lying by ommission. I'm sure it runs a lot of ladies off but hey, they are not looking for me anyway.

I did met one that was older than her pic but she did tell me the pic was old. I could tell it was her though and enjoyed making a new friend. It just didn't work out.

I guess I have never been took on this one. How would I react, well, I would likely feel like I have been lied too unless I was told the pic was old or something. You can ask my soon to be ex what happens when you lie to me. For me, trust is very important. It holds the rest together.

looking for love 2nd x
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/1/2007 12:22:57 PM
yes, yes, yes, happened more than once.........

I also have men who have had the same experience ask me........do you look like your picture, is that you and etc.

I always put one up from the last POF party that I attended so that men can see that I am real, and I have lately asked the men to go to the party's as well, most men do not want to go to a POF party they want to meet one on one.........and on occasion I still might do that but I am sticking to the POF party's.

tallullah
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/1/2007 12:28:42 PM
Just because I ask for a picture does not mean I am shallow - believe me when I say I have fancied some very peculiar looking men in my time - it is the mannerisms that make people attractive to me - i just like to be able to 'see' who i am talking to - is that too much to ask? I have met people who look nothing like their picture but it is no problem - if you only meet for a coffee with no strings attached you don't set yourself up for any disappointment - it depends how far you have gone with the chit-chat before you meet - don't put too much stock in a piccy - the cam thing is a good idea though - rock on people - really loving these forums
 ---- Dizzy ----
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/1/2007 1:14:06 PM
I have meet now a total of 3 women in person on this website in the past 2 weeks.
First lady - Looked just like picture, somewhat younger looking in person.
Second lady- Looked just like picture.
Third lady- Look exactly like picture.

As for me. All the women say I look just like my picture.All of them felt I looked just slightly better in person than in picture.
Jim
 Nogoodnames
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/1/2007 1:57:22 PM
I would say that every person I've met off the internet looked like their picture but it wasn't a very fair representation of them. It's an angle or not a full body or something... It's pretty silly.
 Rugged55
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/2/2007 8:41:26 PM
Well personally speakin, thet camera did me justice. Corse thets why I jest tell ya like it is "ol' warhorse, thets gone gimpy, goin blind and deaf and, has one leg in the pasture" Now I've enjoyed meetin a cupple of mighty fine gals, with good temperment and chock full of color and character..........thet, thet proverbial camera jest plain flat out lied,those 20 dollar cameras are kindee fuzzy projectin' ones smilin pearlies. They tol' me they were in their late 50's, as stated on their profiles, and when gazin innta their eyes via thet thar camera, lordy they look'd like it, but in person..........it whudda bin like datin' my ma. So, I rekkin, if I can tell ya I look like a mud post, take it fer granted, then if we ever meet and my perspective is different than yers, be honest and tell me how perty I actually am...........then we'll let the stars takeit from thar.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.