Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > reincarnation - does it actually happen      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 An Acronym
Msg: 26
reincarnation - does it actually happenPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

to support the idea of reincarnation, I'd venture to propound a theory that would make it possible for a soul to migrate from an organism other than human into a human body. Hindus believe in reincarnation, denying reincarnation would be denying such a profound religion as Hinduism. This is just my opinion. It's also based on my reading of a coupla books on Sufism.

^^ I don't doubt the ability for non-human souls to 'migrate' into human form, and vice versa - it's a matter of population increase (6+ billion humans - not counting the vast exponential life forms of insects/plants/etc) and questioning where these life forms came from vs. eons ago.
I don't know much about Hinduism - is actually on my next-to-study list - however, all the knowledge, rationales, theories and personal testimonies just don't measure up against the concrete evidence. Reincarnation is based on faith/belief; death and the end to it all is, as it stands now, based on evidence and lack of it - agnostically, there is no proof either way.
 xxbigpabbyxx
Msg: 27
reincarnation - does it actually happen
Posted: 2/19/2007 5:06:17 AM
lol so many theories .

actually the idea that we only live once is a new one!!

if you look at all the old civilisations then its very apparent that they knew theyed be back .
its only this new material age that has drummed it into us that we only live once and that were just a bucket of chemicals or one life animals.

personally im well aware of who ive been and things ive done .and when people start speaking languages and doing things that arnt part of this life then you gotta start thinking in terms of immortality and the spiritual side of things .

of course ,everyone has the right to think what they like ,and to say what they like ....

go ahead and die forever if you like lol , im not scared of death. its just so bloomin inconvenient lol
 eye8one2
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/24/2007 12:10:53 PM
Imagine, if you would, that we could and do and that this fact is one that is guarded more then anything from man to insure he is enslaved to others who know this awesome truth, if it were true that is....8)

What if less civilized peoples, who knew this trurth were searched out to be silenced so as not to alert those who could be programmed to beleive lies.

What if...maybe one of these people made poles with the faces of their clan members so that their brothers and sisters, when returning, if born into another clan, would see the faces that they knew previously and return to their previous friends house and meet again.

What if.... those who knew the truth were silenced and replaced within their lands by others who did not know the truth so that they could replace the enlightened ones with those who lived in fear and who graciously offered and provided work and more for those who kept the secret hid from the men they kept ignorant.

What if those who lived in fear were used to rid and edit history and records and then have new culture and history ready when those who were silenced returned again, they would not see the symbol they once knew before and would now be like a moth and return to the new symbol, what if.....

What if, just what if, this is the greatest secret there is and we only realize it for a moment and it could arrive to us through a variety of mediums such as coincidence or the Internet. Kind of like someone snapping their fingers beside your ears and waking you too a awesome truth, but it is still only what if.

In my life experience and as I continue on on my path I see man drawn to symbols like crosses and an all knowing eyes and other symbols that seem like corporate images for sloules people,to draw people away from that which may be familiar. I see many go to these symbols much like a moth goes to light in the evening when it it is dark and they try to get others to come to the symbol often. Man seems to now be drawn to symbols like a moth is drawn to light, the moth may provide a clue for the average man, if it were true that we came back and it is truly just what if.

Well one day I got to thinking, what if those who are the simplest go to that cross and those who learned about the cross look for the all seeing eye, yeah what if.

Well them, what if many still look for thier totem pole with the faces of friends in lieu of performing a sleepwalk dance that so may enjoy and have particpated in for many centuries towards that lowest of all the symbols that keeps many in ignorance but then again it is only what if.

Yeah what if we do come back, what if.........

Where is my totem pole.....but then again, it is only what if?
 2cancanoe
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 8:29:31 AM
Having come from a Judeo/christian background, I have naturally turned to the bible for answers to this question. The greatest man who ever lived stated that, indeed, reincarnation is a fact. "Where does it say that?", you may ask. After the beheading of John the Baptist, Christ was asked if John was Issaias, to which he replied in the affirmative. Issaias, or Isaiah was a prophet of God that (who) never experienced death, as we know it. Furthermore, in Revelation, his return is foretold. He is to be murdered and his corpse, along with 2 other 'messengers', is to lie in the streets for 3 days at which point they are resurrected and return to heaven. This is confirmation that reincarnation is an acceptable belief. Peace be with you.
 2cancanoe
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 8:34:54 AM
One of the Fathers of Physics supported the notion of reincarnation with the universally accepted Law he quoted. Energy is neither created nor destroyed, it only changes form. Thank-you Sir Isaac Newton.
 honest_nice_guy
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/1/2007 10:00:37 AM
Hindus believe in reincarnation, denying reincarnation would be denying such a profound religion as Hinduism.

that is sort of an odd thing to say - it suggests that we shouldnt deny the tenents of any religion - why not? I dont feel any responsibility to affirm or deny any religion. did i miss the point, perhaps?
 NewWayHome
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/2/2007 12:07:33 PM
Possible. However, highly unlikely.

we all carry all the memories from all our lives, tapping into those memories is simply done through intent

Find one of the millions of people that lived during the time of the Byzantine Empire and knew the secret of Greek Fire and divulge that secret, and I'll buy into this steaming pile of horse manure.

Give me one piece of lost knowledge or superior technology from an extraterrestrial civilization and I'll buy into it.
 Art Vandolay
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/4/2007 2:18:13 AM
I have no decision on this either way, I don't have the required information to make a valid opinion. However to be the devils advocate in this thread, how can you explain that there are at least a billion more people on the planet today, than 40 years ago. (the bigger the year number, the higher the populace difference) Like I typed before, I'm not discounting reincarnation, just trying to level the playing field in terms of debate.
 agelespirit
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/16/2007 12:20:15 AM
Having accidentally encountered past lives and reincarnation, Dr Brian Weiss took time to accept what came to pass. He went on to research many such mystical and religious ideas, turning him into a doctor who has got enlightened. (he has written books on the subject)

Treating patients by guiding them through recollections of their previous lives is just about the last thing Dr Brian Weiss thought he would be doing.

A prominent South Florida psychiatrist, before the age of 35 he was the first Chief of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai Medical Center, and a professor at the University of Miami's medical school. He was publishing papers and becoming a nationally recognised expert on psychopharmacology and considered himself the kind of guy who rarely gave much thought to anything mystical, philosophical or spiritual.

One patient changed all that. Weiss calls her Catherine in his first best-selling book, Many Lives, Many Masters (1988), eight years after he began treating the young woman.

He had been using routine psychotherapy to treat her and after 18 months with little improvement, Weiss finally put it very simply to her one day while she was under hypnosis: "Go back to the time from which your symptoms arise." She did.

Back to the year 1863 BC when she was a 25-year-old named Aronda. Since treating Catherine, he has researched reincarnation, Eastern religions, mysticism, quantum physics, intuition and everything in between. He exudes an air of wise counsel, but does not come across as some kind of guru.

Much to his surprise, Weiss's work has been taken seriously by many in the medical community.

Shortly after his first book was published, the former president of the Dade County Psychological Association said: "Those of us who do hypnosis are not all that shocked by Dr Weiss's book. Many have had patients who have gone back to something-I'm not prepared to say it was a previous life. I think we are very interested and very afraid to talk about it…"

When asked why do people find reincarnation a difficult concept to accept? Dr. Weiss said that:
people fear the unfamiliar. If only they would keep an open mind. Not just scientists, but everybody. Just observe it, watch it. Meditation can teach people to do that. If they can let go of their fears.

Plato wrote about reincarnation. So, the Greeks believed in this too. And so did ancient civilizations.
 Masturbating Girl
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/16/2007 7:48:09 AM
I read about Hindu beliefs in reincarnation as well as some psychologists comments in their books from their patients confirming the existence of reincarnation...but, it could be that they wanted to increase the sales of their book but writing something unusual…it makes you wonder...Do you know why what are rules in Hinduism or any similar religion or belief, if any, determining if one was to be born as a human or an animal?
 skypoetone
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:14:50 AM
My opinion: if our souls can enter our bodies... once... when we were just "sperm" at the beginning of this existence... then surely when we leave this body and our souls are not longer limited to it's confines, we can be re-born into another body if we so choose. New bodies are being created and "new" souls are being "born" each day... if we die today, why can't we be one of them tomorrow?

This is interesting and made me think. I knew of a boy that was so distraught he wouldn't leave the house, so convinced was he that he didn't belong here. This was way back in my former years, at a time when psychology really didn't have a grip on this phenomenon, as it does today, and the first time I ever heard of reincarnation.

The transitory soul, I think it goes beyond déjà vu and, imho, relates very strongly to a combination of other things, as yet undetermined. It could be the reverse of precognition and astral travel (astral projection).. .just my thoughts.
 trippy_hare
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:18:26 AM
There is, as a matter of fact, a sort of reincarnation hierarchy: different rules regarding what variety of being one will be re-born as, or has already been. There is too much to put into a single post, and I am no expert on Hindu laws governing reincarnation, but I do have a few sources that may be of help.

Primarily, the Gita. If you can't get ahold of a Bhagavad Gita, then it will be much more difficult to comprehend.

Secondly, "Illustrated World's Religions", by Dr. Huston Smith. This is by far my favorite volume on the subject of faiths and their similarities and differences, and Smith is able to provide the core fundamentals of various big faiths without resorting to being preachy. If you can't get ahold of a Vedic or Brahmin or a copy of the Gita, "Illustrated World's Religions" is a great first step to take.

Anyway. To sum up:

As your soul "matures", the body you are born into "evolves": from plant, to simple animal, to vertebrate, to mammalian, to human. There are certain actions that increase your hierarchical level of reincarnation, and some that knock you down a notch. (Bear in mind, this is an extremely simplified account, only applies to Hinduism, and is in no way an accurate representation of the Hindu belief of reincarnation except at the most basic level).
 trippy_hare
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:18:39 AM
Oops. Double post.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:54:34 AM
I have always believed in reincarnation.. it is one of those things that when you read or hear about it something inside goes "yes!" And feels more like a memory than a discovery...

Reincarnation is integral to my belief system and my progression in life...

Underlying everything I do in this life is a desire to ascend... to raise my vibrational state to the point that I no longer need to be here of this earth... deep inside I do not wish to come back... that is not to say that I do not like it here... rather that I want to experience other dimensions.... which I absolutely believe is possible...

Does reincarnation happen? With everything in my soul I say yes :)
 Stonestongue
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/16/2007 10:11:29 AM
I believe in reincarnation... I also believe there is a hierarchy and that if we leave here knowing that we are a part of and have been everything, we can choose what we wish to be the next time around and are no longer in need of the progression that is the hierarchy.

In my belief system, our first carnation would have been whatever started the big bang... We have been the infinate amount of planets, rocks, beings and everything else up til now and in these forms, we have the capability to "awaken" which is the final step in our realisation that we are God/Buddha nature/Love or whatever you wish to call it.

Some would say they don't believe because they don't remember... I don't remember being born in this world but I know I have been.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 1:30:29 PM
I absolutely believe in it. But I couldn't tell you why except it feels right...way deep down. Also when I do read about it I get that "click" that Sassy talks about. I do have "memories" flashes really, of things I know I have never experienced in this life time...and some areas of knowledge I don't really learn, I seem to remember them once I get the right cues. There are also people I have met over the course of my life where the feeling of familiarity and recognition was overwhelming (on both sides) It was like seeing a great friend after a really long time...but there was no way we could know each other.

Some of the best evidence is from very young children..

As to how it works...I'm not sure, but I subscribe to the maturation of the soul.. but I would start it at an even earlier form.. pure unformed energy, to mineral, plant, animal, human..and who knows what is beyond that. I don't particularly believe in going backwards..say from human to plant or animal...but do think we could remain at a certain maturity level for several lives while exploring a certain area of growth.I also think the "soul" is not the same as the personality..that our "self" as we experience it now is more of a vehicle to experience this life with, like our bodies are also.

I have more, but am not feeling well today...good topic!
 Two Hawks
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 10:56:56 AM
Two Hawks takes the Talking Stick:

I never believed in reincarnation until 1998. I have always had a keen interest in our Civil War (better known as "The War Of Northern Aggression" to those of us with Southern ancestry). I had an incident in 98 that changed my way of thinking on reincarnation.

I was working in Kennesaw, Georgia and had the opportunity to visit a Civil War Battlesite. This was about 10 miles North of Kennesaw in a small town called Marietta. There had been a long session of conflict there in 1864

We drove up to the site where a battle had taken place. As soon as we got out of the car I had an incredible feeling of deja vu. I felt like I had been there before...but I hadn't....at least not in my present life.

We found where the Confederate Lines and the Yankee lines had been. A local man, very familiar with the battle showed us these. He told us that there had been a Confederate charge from that point that had been repulsed. We began walking across an open area toward where the Yankee lines had been. About half way across this area I got an incredible sharp, searing pain in my upper right chest and it knocked me to my knees. It only lasted about 3 seconds, but it was enough to knock me down. After that...nothing and I thought no more about it. I didn't seek any medical attention for it.

Now the dreams start. I began dreaming about battles and the horror of them. These were nightmares and several times I woke up in a cold sweat. Scared as hell about them! These came on for five nights...then back to normal sleep.

I get home to Seattle and the first person I encounter is an old friend. She asks me about my stay in Georgia and I tell her all about it. Then I go on to tell her about the incident at the battlesite. My friend is a professional Regression Therapist. She takes people back to possible past lives. She asks if I want to go back and check. I tell her I do.

So she hypnotizes me and takes me back. We stop in 1864 when things start becoming clear. She asks me my name. I tell her "Lucas Brown". She asks my occupation. I tell her farmer but now a private in the Army of Tennessee. She asks where I am. I tell her I am near Marietta, Georgia. She asks what I am doing. I tell her that my company is getting ready for a battle. I tell her that we are going to charge the Yankee lines and try to drive them back. Now everything goes black.

My friend brings me out of the hypnotic state. She tells me that I have just relived a previous death. I was killed at one of the battles of Marietta. She also tells me that I am very lucky to have been able to see a former life as I did because most don't get to do that.

So....I am a firm believer in reincarnation.

Two Hawks passes the Talking Stick.
 NeverCanezzer
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/4/2008 1:03:47 PM
Two hawks - just wonder why in this incarnation that you came back to the US instead of say India or Australia. Time for a change of local and culture..
 edge_of_dawn
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/4/2008 7:07:57 PM

If reincarnation really does exist, then I suspect myself to have been a WWII military leader in another life, considering my obsession on the subject!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that feeling (even if it is your attempt poke at the humor behind it; who knows, it could be "true"... LOL).

I've had dreams that during my last past life as a human, I believe I was an industrialist from either France or Germany (most likely France, because the name "Franscois" or something like that, was always repeated over and over again.) although I might have done business in Germany as well, because I remember scenes that looked vaguely "German"); I definitily believe I owned a factory of some sort, because I remember gazing down at my workers from the rail outside of what appeared to be my office.

After my death in the mid 1900's (probably around the 1940's), I entered hell, where my soul was tortured for several decades until I was once again reincarnated as a black panther in the jungles of India. I also have a fondness of the animal (as it is my favorite) as well as India (although I have never been there) and there are times when I can "see" the jungle also in my dreams.

Now don't get me wrong, these are only "dreams" and I don't actually "claim" to have been any of these things in my past lives; I simply "dreamt" about them, that's all (so no I'm not a crackpot)...
 Two Hawks
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 11:43:00 PM

Two hawks - just wonder why in this incarnation that you came back to the US instead of say India or Australia

An excellent question! Unfortunately I don't have the answer for it. I have a friend up in Canada. She can't play a lick on a piano! But if she is hypnotized she is a master on it. She was taken back and in a previous life she was a concert pianist. I read a story about an adult male that had a deathly fear of water like the ocean and/or swimming pools. He had never learned how to swim because of this fear. This effected him greatly. He finally concented to be taken back to a previous life and it was discovered that he had been a passenger on the Titanic and had gone down with the ship. Another story I read was about a man who had a fear of things like fireworks displays, or things exploding. He was taken back and they discovered he had been a Civil War soldier and had been killed in a powder magazine explosion. So it appears that something drastic that happened in a past life can quite possibly effect your new life? Somehow you bring that forward with you?

Stonestongue
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/5/2008 3:51:51 PM
In my way of thinking, we have or will be everyone that has every been eventually... But if it actually happens or not is something that can't really be proven yet.

I have a friend up in Canada. She can't play a lick on a piano! But if she is hypnotized she is a master on it. She was taken back and in a previous life she was a concert pianist.

That's pretty darned cool!

By the way Two Hawks-- I love how you brought the talking stick here.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 4:46:11 PM
I tell her "Lucas Brown".

I did some research.

A Lucius H. Brown served in the 3 Texas Infantry, Co. I. The 1850 Census for Caldwell County shows Lucas H. Brown, 12, born in Arkansas to schoolteacher H.D. Brown and wife Eliza, of NC.

igam.org/history/Articles/Baylor_initiates.htm

OK, common name perhaps.......

I've found references that other units of the Texas Infantry were certainly involved in the battle of Marietta, and the Atlanta Campaign. It's not impossible that the Third did too.

the 7th Texas Infantry regiment participated in the following battles which had a direct impact on the course of the war and / or a decisive influence on a campaign

Gilgal Church, Georgia, 15 June 1864

part of Battle of Marietta, Georgia, 09 June - 03 July 1864

Atlanta, Georgia, 21- 22 July 1864

http://www.cemeteryworks.com/army_tenn.html

If so, perhaps the extreme violence and hardship of those battles and campaign might have been quite memorable to a .....twenty six year old man.

( Might explain your rather passionate comments against Lincoln in my thread on him, as well )

Maybe the Band was LYING , after all ....

You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat.

....it's a time I remember, oh so well....

Two Hawks
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 8:39:57 PM

"Brown" is a very common name as was Lucas back in those days. There could have been many soldiers named Lucas Brown on both sides??

As for my comments about Lincoln...I was raised to believe that he was a fair and just man and I never questioned it. After reading DeLorenzo's book 'THE REAL LINCOLN" I found out things about him that I didn't know. He brought out things that no one ever knew. He brought out the truth about ol' Honest Abe.

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 6:04:15 AM
Hey , I can't argue against reincarnation - even though it's totally "illogical" when one begins to think about it.

I've posted before about my experience with it, and I can't say it actually exists. All I CAN say is that a variety of really strange things have occurred in my life that make me think there's something to it.

I had a dream where I described (as a five year old) a scene that actually occurred, in perfect detail, and did that to such an extent my Mother talked about it right up until her death. I have a connection with both the Netherlands, and the military, which makes no "logical" sense.

I've never said that it IS a reincarnation experience, because I don't think that can be proven one way or the other. Like any belief, it's a matter of faith.

I just know what I've experienced, and what others have experienced - and a lot of that defies logic, and that experience has left me with no answers - and a great many questions.

In fact, my eventual trip to the Netherlands is based, to a large extent, on a "spiritual journey" much like your trip to Marietta. I may walk away from that with nothing, but I'm drawn to it like a moth to the flame.

A friend of mine had a great suggestion about doing a book about it all, and I'd already considered doing a documentary film. I may in fact do both.

Either way the die rolls, it might prove fascinating.
 pappy009
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 7:45:59 AM
For me there is no other explanation. Ravenstar can attest to that one. Are you still living in the Church and hows the daughter doing.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > reincarnation - does it actually happen