Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating artistic/creative people and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KfromKali
Msg: 251
artistic/creative people and relationshipsPage 11 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Great questions for Sunday morning contemplation!

Do people who are artistically talented tend to seek out relationships with other artistic people?

Yes. But I'm drawn to men with creativity that's different than mine. It creates a "mutual admiration society" for each other’s abilities when they are different. It’s never worked when I’ve dated an artist in the old-fashioned definition of the word. It can be competitive, which is ridiculous and is the antithesis of creativity.

Does a creative person feel that they have more in common with another creative person?

Yes. I ADMIRE all forms of creativity so I have more to enjoy with someone in touch with their own creative ability. But I don’t limit these abilities to arenas like painting, sculpting or drawing. I prefer creativity of an intellectual ability like writing and logical driven areas such as law, architecture, engineering, game designers, software creation because it’s foreign to me. I can LEARN something from him and if he’s in touch with his creative drive then they’ve been interested in learning about my expressions, especially lampworking, which I’ve discovered is an uncommon creative expression.

Does an artist feel they’d be better understood, or their talents more appreciated by another artist?

Yes. Only when the expressions of creativity are different. However, I’ve found lampworking to be the exception. Maybe because it’s technical rather than just bursting out of me in uninhibited free flowing expression. The creative boundaries are limited to a degree but they can be pushed, which is a huge draw for me. Glassblowing is also a team approach, which means very little competitiveness. It’s always learning process with glass, which leaves no room for competition but a huge amount of room for learning from each other. I haven’t found that with painting, fiber art, or writing. This is a big reason I love glasswork. Competitiveness in creativity is a huge turn-off.

I’ve found that men with different avenues of creativity do one of two things:

1. They appreciate my talents because they can’t conceive of having them (I love this and it creates a very good spark in a relationship); or
2. They try to dictate how I express my talent (I hate this and it’s a huge turn-off); or
3. Inspiration in our own areas of creativity is driven by the pleasure of sharing our unique knowledge with someone who doesn’t have it (a mutual admiration society for each other’s different abilities).

The funny thing is that creative souls that are DRIVEN to create are usually modest about it. I don’t call myself an artist. I like the description craftswoman. It was very hard for me to make up a business card that said "glass artist" when I’ve participated in shows. Who am I to call myself an artist?! My profession is in the law, a bankable ability and one I enjoy. Yeah it would be nice to earn a full time living as an artist. I’ve tried it and had success. But it’s the typical low renumeration of selling creativity. Not that I don’t wish it were different. I would be in hog heaven if I could live Dale Chihuly’s life. He’s a glass artist and director of a team of glassworkers that has had a great deal of success. I admire the man for that. But I wonder if I could handle dating him!
 meoowie
Msg: 252
artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 11/11/2007 3:49:13 PM
"3. Inspiration in our own areas of creativity is driven by the pleasure of sharing our unique knowledge with someone who doesn’t have it (a mutual admiration society for each other’s different abilities)." this is such a wonderful thing to experience. i have basically once in my life.

chihuly-WOW have seen his work. in mid winter, grafield park convervatroy, chicago, illinois. what wa great way to spend a snow, cold, blustrey day. i did NOT bring enough film with me!!!! ( i took 4 rolls heehee)
 KfromKali
Msg: 253
Posted: 11/11/2007 4:29:58 PM
Meeowie, where is the green eyed jealous smiley icon?!
Seriously, I envy you for getting to see Chihuly's work. sigh....someday! Which was the most stunning display of his work you've seen?

Was the relationship with another creative one where you both were into the same medium?
 lancelotfl
Msg: 254
Posted: 11/12/2007 8:25:59 AM
Creative people exist in more areas than just painting, sculpture, etc. I design software systems and I think I'm very creative. I've invented a lot of applications that are on the leading edge of technology, and I enjoy doing that.

I'm attracted to people with imagination, spontaneous behavior, a love of life and a sense of humor that includes themselves. The fact that somebody can draw isn't a source of attraction for me.
 someplace***
Msg: 255
Posted: 11/20/2007 6:24:42 PM
post 254:
My family has had artistic people for many generations
that comment made me wonder: if people, who have come from families where there's always been artistic people, may be more likely to seek out (either intentionally or unintentionally) other artistic people for relationships; compared to someone who just happens to be artistic but did not neccessarilly grow up surrounded by such people???
 Moto Monkey
Msg: 256
Posted: 11/20/2007 6:44:25 PM
If people tend to develop what is encouraged, and there is a family tradition of encouragement of art, then it would not be entirely shocking if art runs in families. There would be exceptions, and it need not be a family that provides encouragement and opportunity to a child. The child could run away to join an art colony, or be raised in the wild by artistic wolves. My family were accountants going back to ancient times. I was not inclined to become an accountant and they are dismayed how things didn't add up in this respect. Not that I am artistic. Although I once stopped in the street, removed my pants and drew a crowd. It looked just like a crowd, too. I was proud, of course, and that could be the reason for the applause.
 yoodle
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Non-linear thinkers untie!
Posted: 11/20/2007 7:14:02 PM
Creative comes in many forms and some creative types can be quite rigid in other areas of their thinking. Basking in the creativity and exploring the thought processes of someone whose passions I admire is probably the biggest contributor as to why I love them. Of course, they need to be creative in reciprocating that love and encouragement.

Piccasso, Einstein, Rodin were all fairly oblivious of--if not downright cruel to--their spouses, paramours, etc.
 dreedee
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2007 1:28:55 PM
There is more to a relationship than requiring the "other" to be a person of creativity. Oftentimes, a creative couple can be a train wreck, as both are so focused on their endeavors that it's like two people fighting for center stage. As for myself, I value someone who appreciates creativity--art, music, etc.--and understands it, perhaps more than another artist who may not even "get" me and my work (despite her being an artist).
 mrc0516
Msg: 259
Posted: 11/23/2007 12:37:23 AM
...artistically talented, tend to seek out relationships with other artistic people?
Ah, you flatter me! But, yes.

...feel that they have more in common, with another creative person?
Well, yeah, BUT, who ISN'T creative in one form or another. Example: a typical writer of fictional tomes is continually studying the human condition. Always looking for something unique, interesting, a cut above - or below - the norm, ad infinitum

Does an artist feel they'd be better understood, or their talents more appreciated by another artist?
Better question: "Is one willing to hold oneself up to critical inspection/comparison without taking offense?"

Do you intentionally seek out other artistic/creative people?
We all do, "artists" and not

Have you had relationships with artistic and/or non-artisic people? and did you notice a difference in compatability between the two?
Yup - some were male, some female. I preferred the latter. Package contents vary and settle by weight, but I remain prepared!! OR - "confirmed, duly noted."

Non-artistic people:
You mean, there are "non-artistic" people? Are you absolutely certain you don't mean "aUtistic?"

Whatever we do, we must remember there's a pigeonhole for everyone, and someone for every pigeonhole. Square pegs; round holes? No! EMPHATICALLY NO-O-O!! We can't have that!

As I sit here smugly viewing my verbiage, I realize that, as an "artist," I find the above questions lack only a connection to a Neo-Nazi, pro-eugenics (look it up...) organization to be totally (no profanity...no profanity...), er, "distasteful." I'm certain that wasn't OP's intent, and I do apologize for the rant, but...
 someplace***
Msg: 260
Posted: 11/23/2007 7:48:35 AM
^^^^^^^
As I sit here smugly viewing my verbiage, I realize that, as an "artist," I find the above questions lack only a connection to a Neo-Nazi, pro-eugenics (look it up...) organization to be totally (no profanity...no profanity...), er, "distasteful."
Wow! Someone woke up ina miserable mood today.
By the way, I was the OP of this thread, several months ago. I'm happy to know that you find this thread (among all of the other crap on this site) to be the topic which you smuggly label "distasteful"

Non-artistic people: You mean, there are "non-artistic" people?
9 months after this thread was started, people are still making nit-picky comments to state that everyone's artist.
Perhaps everyone is? But discussing that certainly wasn't the intent of this thread.

The intent of this thread was: to discuss how people that are actively being creative or artistic view relationships; and wondering if these people are suitable relationship partners for those that are not actively being creative.

Maybe everyone is artistic in some was?
-But the opening post was specifically refering to people who are actively creative and artistic in their life. Many people are actively creative and artistic and are constantly using their talents, either as a profession or a hobby.
-Many other people are not actively using any talent to create art.
Noticing these differences in people does not make anyone a nazi, nor is it distasteful to point out the personality differences between these groups of people.

Moto Monkey
Msg: 261
Posted: 11/23/2007 7:58:07 AM
My form of creative activism is to write, which is what people who think too much do with their thoughts when those thoughts are of no other use. It consists of imagining worlds and events and lives, then telling the stories, hopefully with the effect of examining some aspect of life, or life itself. To be with someone who was not also doing some kind of art project, or at least who has done, is a mismatch because they could not relate to what I am all about, how I spend my time, what makes me tick. Then when I started ticking they would become alarmed and worry that I was a bomb. They would introduce me to people as the bomb, and people would think I thought too highly of myself, and they would be right but for the wrong reason. I need someone whose eyes light up when the subject of art comes around, because they, too, have a great love for creating things. Someone who folds their hands and says they were never artistic, they can't draw, write, sing, dance, anything, can't do or make anything, they just aren't creative, someone like that and myself would have nothing to talk about. I would try to get them to awaken their inner artist and they would try to forget they ever met me.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:07:58 AM
"As I sit here smugly viewing my verbiage" Well verbiage is one word, true, using my creativity I could certainly think of a few others.

It's baffling how someone could rant about art and creativity. I guess you can go off on just about anything if you're so inclined.

What is art and what isn't is subjective, same with creative. IMO the only difference between the two is artistic works most commonly take some form are expressed via an artistic medium. Creativity is broader, and can be used for problem solving or decision making. All art is creative but not all creativity is art.

Either way it's something to be noted and appreciated, something created for enjoyment and stimulation of the senses. That's how I think of "art".

As far as relationships, there are those that can only be compatible with someone possessing similar tastes and mindsets and others whose range of compatibility isn't as limited.
 english lass
Msg: 263
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:08:29 AM
i enjoy the arts..

i enjoy going around art galleries, seeing the different ways people express themselves.... i've sketched and done some painting, even sold a few pieces when in africa... but if a guy was not interested in art i could live with that.. it's not a huge part of my life

however, i have loved the theatre since i was a very young lass and then worked in the theatre for several years before "settling down" with my ex and our children.. it's still something i have a passion for and i do feel very much like i'm "coming home" when i enter a theatre, even if just to see a production.. so if a man really despised the theatre that would be a bit of a barrier between us...

but it's just like anything in that way.. common interests are important whether they are to do with the arts or science or whatever, imo..
 mimosa
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:22:53 AM
I think there's a subtle nuance between creative and artistic.
A housewife can take a bunch of lose ends and make something very creative, is she artistic not necessarily.
I personally am attracted to creativity no matter what form it takes.
It usually means an innovative and free thinker. Too much conservatism bores me.
 someplace***
Msg: 265
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:28:03 AM
Well verbiage is one word, true, using my creativity I could certainly think of a few others.
my original reply to post 260 contained a few other words to describe his verbage. But, after I had a moment's thought, I decided they should be editted out.

As far as relationships, there are those that can only be compatible with someone possessing similar tastes and mindsets and others whose range of compatibility isn't as limited.
Exactly the purpose of this thread.

Art and/or creativity can be a lifestyle to someone, or just a caual interest to another person. It may also be a reflection of a person's personality.
Don't our lifestyles, our interests, and our personalities play a defining role in determining who we are suitable partners for??

The thread had nothing to do with a eugenic approach to anything.
It simply was an attempt to discuss how compatable people are with certain others for relationships
 dbndon
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2007 9:24:14 AM

Do people who are artistically talented, tend to seek out relationships with other artistic people?

Not necessarily, but it would be nice. Many artistic types can be rather free thinkers in other aspects of their lives. Which means, we would probably start out with quite a lot in common that others wouldn't even realize or notice.

Besides, for those of us who do a few hours of quiet work most days, it's nice to have someone around who is also occupied doing their own thing -- usually not wanting to talk all the time, but nearby nonetheless.

Whether they be a researcher, artiest or writer, it makes no difference. It's all creative work and requires the same level of mental concentration and dedication. Anytime I'm with creative people there's always an interesting level of energy there not often seen with others. That's always a good energy to share.

So, whereas I do not intentionally seek out creative types, there does seem to be some sort of natural attraction there.

rustytalent
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2007 7:48:07 PM
Great thread. I do find I need someone artistic/creative just because there interests are more likely to match up with mine. People who aren't in the same frame of mind 'don't get me'. And I am sure there are other artistic people out there who have had 'normal' people even look down on them. I know I have in the past. I just want someone who thinks like I do and understands me.
 Grizzly Adams99
Msg: 268
Posted: 11/27/2007 8:16:34 PM
Being a person who has been a professional craftsman and artisan for
30 years ( private and by apt. only) I can speak from a position of craftsman and artisan..

TO HAVE SOMEONE WHO HAD NO OPINION OR EVEN A NEGATIVE ONE ABOUT
THINGS YOU CREATE FROM INSIDE YOU SOMEWHERE.... WELL... HOW COULD THAT WORK ??? THEIR WOULD ALWAYS BE CONFLICT OVER DOING SHOWS...SEEING OTHER CLIENTS WHO DID APPRECIATE IT..... SHE COULD NEVER UNDERSTAND .....

I met a woman on fish...she was an artist... however ... she painted that stuff you see in
california gallerys that you could really in no way call art.... weird impressionistic stuff...
stuff that is for people who have too much money and no taste , class, or brains....
I couldnt date her because sooner or later I was going to have to be truthful about my
feelings on her artwork.... it was mental garbage.....

so.. yea i guess it could matter in some ways.... but you could also have a relationship where both were professionals at what they do and co exist supporting each others
work...wether you liked it or not.... keeping work and life seperate .... im sure that
actually happens alot...

its complicated... its life....
 Artistee
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2007 8:18:07 PM
I'm artistic and creative...I grew up well submerged in the art and cultural scene since I was a child....

Those in the arts are not the most stable bunch to be with, we tend to live in our own little worlds, we have a real ugly habit of going overboard with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY, and some of us live by an "I go where I want and do what I wish" method of operation, regardless of what you have done for us, or how you've stood by us...

If you can crawl through all that inconvenience and grief (and more issues...there's ALWAYS more issues)..I guess there's some real love and devotion involved...

I'm not holding my breath on that one, however...
 Thorb
Msg: 270
Posted: 11/27/2007 9:31:13 PM
ah ... nit picking .... so often the case ...

remember it was not long ago .... people were not really referred to as artists at all.

Rembrant and everyone that knew him ... referred to him as a painter.
Hemmingway ... a writer
Shakespeare ... a playwright

Louis Armstrong ... a horn player/singer

they were crafts/arts/jobs .... craft is from a Germanic base ... Art is from a Romantic base ... meaning precisely the same thing before we decided there was some difference even though it is quite intangible. The debate sort of coincided with the debate as to weather photography could be an art or not.

realize ... DaVinci ... invented machines to make his painting and sculpting easier

what laymen think of as art is so often smoke and mirrors... tools you don't understand and lots of time tinkering with details that are not that different from trying to tune a four barrel carburetor.

Understanding creativity doesn't mean you will understand the process of a specific person.
for a relationship to work that is what is needed... you must be able to empathize with the process that person needs to remain creative and they must empathize with yours.
Then there is a chance.
Though you could still easily clash in the actual processes time frames.
Its not easy.
but we must try every now and then to maintain some form of social sanity.
 Sweetenuff074
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2007 9:26:09 PM
I have been in intimate platonic relationships with artists, but never in a physically intimate relationship with one. It's a special relationship to have a friend who you know exist and is around. That you don't always communicate with them being the two of you are doing your own thing. However, when you do get together to hang out it is so nice. Absolutely dbndon! The flow and intensity of exchanged energy is really great! Both of us absorbing and appreciating the flow.

I have opened my horizon so I can meet people with open minds( many artist are prone to have it), and so be it, I have been meeting them.

The enthusiasm of an artistic mind at the beach, in the woods walking to a waterfall, looking at a beautiful sunset, etc. Is a bit different from a non-artistic mind. Therefore sharing it with a non-artist puts a different spin on the experience. Not unless the non-artist enjoys the dispersement of energy you release while in the element that you enjoy/love.

Being an artist isn't a criteria I demand of one I'd be in a relationship with. However, having the ability to allow me to be me, not putting reigns on my personality, artistic/creative tendencies is.

I have never called a non-creative/artistic individual crazy because they have a different mindset from me. Yet, I've been called crazy by them.
 redrose66
Msg: 272
Posted: 11/28/2007 10:38:35 PM
I have dated men who are artistic and some that are not. I dont seek out artistic/creative people... but is great when someone understands what you do and what it means to you. Like painting or photography...
However, someone who may not be particularly artistic can still show an interest. I think this is what is important. It goes both ways...if I were to date an accountant, I would try to find something there that I could relate to. Hmmmm.....
 Jaymore10
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2007 10:55:05 PM
The average age of posters on this page (page 11) was 50 (49.82 when I calculated it). Only one poster was younger than myself (38 to my 39)... This may seem like a moot point, but I think the creative types are young, and those who appreciate creativity are young at heart. Those who criticize are old and uninspired. Has anyone ever had a middle-aged muse? I ask this in all seriousness... and if so, was said muse older or younger than the artist?
 Wullis
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2007 11:18:34 PM
I can not say that I have ever had a"relationship" with an artist

I would think it could be an amazing thing.........Collaberation (a beautiful word)

I have had a few dates with artists/musicians but many of them definately don't want the competition for attention. And have had women tell me that in those terms.

I have had relationships with women that "appreciated the arts" and that works out pretty good. They seem to enjoy the creative process and how it spills over into the rest of your life.

I also had one that didn't want my artist ventures to cut into 5 minutes of "her" time ....which was anytime I wasn't at work. That almost drove me out of my mind, things are crying to get out but you don't. You live in a hell alone to avoid living in a hell for two
 merry0709
Msg: 275
Posted: 11/28/2007 11:32:48 PM
I am an artist and have been my entire life. Only once did I date someone similar, a
writer and editor. It was a very special relationship and we keep in touch to this day,
almost 15 years later.
I have dated a few others, borderline , a hair salon owner and stylist, someone who
designed and installed tile floors. Both guys were great and had this extra sensitivity
that I found intoxicating.
I`ve pretty much for the most part always dated quite technical and disciplined people, engineers,doctors, therapists, managers, but they just don`t seem to have a "soul".
Overall, I have been much happier with another creative person, and thanks because I never thought of it that much before. Maybe I need to stick with those guys.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating artistic/creative people and relationships