Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating artistic/creative people and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Hello~
Msg: 351
Dating artistic/creative people and relationshipsPage 15 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

Do people who are artistically talented, tend to seek out relationships with other artistic people?

People are people - doesn't matter what you do or how 'creative' you are .. there are good and bad in all shapes, sizes, colours and backgrounds ..

Does a creative person feel that they have more in common, with another creative person?

Not necessarily. Do secretaries feel they have more in common with other secretaries .. other than say typing skills?? It's dangerous to categorize anyone for any reason..

Does an artist feel they'd be better understood, or their talents more appreciated by another artist?

Absolutely Not!! I'm an artist .. I think about the Only thing we "Might" understand that someone who isn't an artist doesn't get is the time that goes in to a piece of art .. otherwise .. no ..

Artistic people:
Do you intentionally seek out other artistic/creative people?

Absolutely not.

Have you had relationships with artistic and/or non-artisic people? and did you notice a difference in compatability between the two?

The differences I noted were their individuality - nothing to do with the colour of their collar.
**That said - I did date one guy who wouldn't leave my paint brushes alone ... I think he has a better "understanding" of "Don't touch my *&&##** brushes!!!" now. << That was a respect issue .. again nothing to do with talent or lack of it.

btw - I believe Everyone has some talent .. unfortunately for many they don't seek or discover the gift. JMO
 2nd_Chakra
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Dating artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 3/14/2009 4:38:43 PM

btw - I believe Everyone has some talent .. unfortunately for many they don't seek or discover the gift.

I agree. What a sad truth for so many people...and what a blessing it is when people DO find that creative spark within them and find the courage to express it and the wherewithal to attract people who nurture and support that creative spark.
 arcticdude
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:13:32 PM
I might not be the most archetypal artist type to answer this, because I don't think I'm so terribly artistic...just persistant & really good at marketing...more 'creative', I'd say(refering to myself), than 'artistic'...but anyway... in keeping with my own view of myself, though I don't seek out 'artistic' women...I do very much apreciate someone who can think creatively...whether or not that translates into artistic ability is of little import to me.
If I had to choose, I'd actually probably prefer someone who 'appreciates' what I do, rather than one who could ‘execute' what I can.
I am drawn more to someone who shares my taste in music, or overall view of the world, than someone who shares my particular career path...
I am self employed...I haven't ever been with someone who was also self employed...I wonder if that would be more of a common ground than artistic ability...My guess is yes, in my case.
Creative? Yes. Artistic? Couldn’t care less, I think.

Good questions.
 TitusBreast
Msg: 354
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:42:59 PM
Beware the ego freak! I don't care how effed-up/crazy a creative person is; it's the one who insists that any others' creativity pales in comparison to their own that drive me up a wall and compel me to give an attitude adjustment to STAT! I know some schizo-effectives who totally wrecked their most important love relationships by reckoning themselves their partners' 'mentor'. As if! What a-holes! At any rate, I'd try to find one (if I just had to try one out, that is...) who knows how to tactfully critique and/or who knows and practices humility (and takes their meds). Otherwise, a dry logistic might be able to force the megalomaniac to think about someone else besides #1. Good luck! Love, Titus
 charismatictadpole
Msg: 355
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:46:44 PM
As a musician, I definitely find myself stimulated by other creative types.

If I don't date other "artists" then I find that I like to date those who appreciate the same kind of music that I do.

I do have to admit, though, that at times dating other musicians is difficult - kind of like the concept of having "too many cooks in the kitchen"
 mnem0syne
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 9:44:59 PM
For me, it depends on the creative person. I work in a creative field, but the work I do is actually for commercial entities, so it's an interesting mix. (I'm a web designer for a corporation.)

Here's what I like about creative types:

1. They understand the urge to create.
2. They understand the technical processes behind it. (Getting into the creative groove, needing time to concentrate, needing an objective eye, etc.)
3. They appreciate other creative efforts, even if it's different from their chosen creative outlet.

Here's what I don't like about creative types:

1. American Idol Syndrome: A creative person who thinks he's WAY more talented than he really is, and wants to make a career out of his chosen art without recognizing the fact that he actually really sucks.
2. They may be more or less talented than you, and are insecure enough to turn it into a competition.
3. They may want to spend all their time and money in their creative efforts, at the expense of things like paying bills and saving for retirement.

I think the most important quality a creative person can have is a realistic and pragmatic understanding of their level of talent, and what purpose their art has in their lives. I've dated two AIS sufferers, and man, there is NOTHING worse than someone who sucks and thinks they're good. First, you're subjected to a lot of really bad art. And secondly, it's just awkward, particularly if you are also creative. You know how you watch a particularly painful American Idol audition, and after someone humiliates themselves in front of Simon and gets torn to shreds, you think, "God, can't they hear themselves? Why didn't anyone TELL them they sucked? Wouldn't it be better hearing it from a friend or family member, instead of being embarrassed on national television?" That may very well be the conundrum you'll find yourself in, if you date an AIS sufferer.

But a good example of a positive match-up would be my sister and her husband. She's a web designer, he's a graphic designer. Both work in their fields, both have a pretty similar level of talent, he's better at some things, she's better at other things. They understand each other's work and can even help each other out on projects, but they also both have a very good idea about how to apply their talents in the marketplace. I think that is an ideal situation, where both you and your partner complement each other without competing or having unrealistic goals.
 mnem0syne
Msg: 357
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:06:59 PM
Oh, and in response to Titus' post--I totally agree that self-declared "mentors" are totally infuriating to be around. (Almost as much as American Idol Syndrome sufferers.)

I think the tricky part is in telling the truth about someone else's work, without making it sound like, "I rule and you suck." Not only do you have to be careful to be fair in your critique, but the person asking for the critique (and they had better be asking before you give them one, unless you're a jerk, or they're about to go on stage in front of Simon and Paula) also needs to be willing to listen and understand the assessment objectively. Both people need to be able to separate their work from their feelings about each other. That can be really hard to do in a romantic relationship, particularly a new one.
 ikin
Msg: 358
Posted: 3/20/2009 9:42:46 PM
oh hell yeah i look for another artistic/ creative person.. i feel like those people are my people lol we all kind of think alike, and have amazing ideas.
my first boyfriend was a complete book worm.. and it was good for a while but it was just a sex relationship.. but then i dated this guy for.. so long who was very artistic, and things were and still are great with us.. we just went our separate ways but still good friends lol..
there is definitely a big difference..

but i love all the uncreative people too lol
 raceme
Msg: 359
Posted: 3/20/2009 10:32:31 PM
I've had great and not so great experiences with both. I've been a working artist my entire career. I teach now. About the only advantage another artist would bring is he would understand Figure Drawing is not strange or wouldn't raise his eyebrows thinking it was something it wasn't. But, I have to say, I like a creative person and this doesn't necessarily mean art. They can be creative with business, a scientist is a very creative person. The thing I really, really like is someone who is really good or masterful at something. Could be cabinetry. A great craftsman is big with me. Doesn't have to be another artist. I'm really experienced at what I do. Serious artists can be pretty competitive. But, doesn't matter. Love is love and people are people. I'm more interested in finding the guy who loves me and I him. What we do will fit when it's right.
 La Gioconda
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2009 10:42:43 PM
I think it's personal preference. And I also believe that alike attracts alike. Being a creative person, I am also drawn to creative people in my intimate relationships as well as friendships. What I find interesting about creative people is their mind, it's like parachute, always open and expanding. Creativity can take many forms, and can be expressed in variety of areas: music, art, writing, design, technology, architecture design, and so much more.

Also creative people tend to show this part of themselves in their way of dress, attitude (usually they are hillarious, personal experience), and there is some sort of spark I find in their facial expression, when they light up about something they love, they seem to be always curious, they are like cats. I tend to think of cats as being philosophers and mysterious, they have their own corridors/path they walk on.

I also tend to seek out creative types. I don't have much in common with non-creative, as I find non-creative people tend to have this world figured out, everything seems to be black and white, whereas I don't see it as black and white at all, but contrary. To me it's about lifestyle - bohemian.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 361
view profile
History
artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 3/21/2009 12:02:05 AM
Very cool thread!

Do people who are artistically talented, tend to seek out relationships with other artistic people?

I think the desire is still in the realm of fantasy for me. The last artist friend I was close to moved away and had another boyfriend... I would love to date another artist if I can... I just can find her somehow... Would it make for an interesting relationship!!!

Does a creative person feel that they have more in common, with another creative person?

My answer would have to be yes. You will have plenty of things to talk about, for instance. I dated a scientist as my last girlfriend. We could talk a bit about our own works, but we both could not go into technical jargon without losing the other.

Does an artist feel they'd be better understood, or their talents more appreciated by another artist?

Perhaps. Only another artist can understand what it took to paint that canvas. To most people, they equate that with the most common question of "how long did it take you to paint that"? Not knowing that the time you took to execute the artwork is only part of it... the seed of the idea may have been alive for years slowly growing...

Artistic people:

Not specifically, but I would like to since I've already dated non-artists before...
The thing I like about dating non-artists is that they aren't part of your world. Since I have made a small name for myself in my industry, I date women who aren't in it so that our relationship isn't influenced by what she thinks of my work, if that makes any sense... almost like if she only knew really who she was dating... I guess it would be like me dating someone famous in the dog show circuit. To that business, she is a star, but to me, she is just a regular woman...

Have you had relationships with artistic and/or non-artisic people? and did you notice a difference in compatability between the two?

One of my fantasy relationships would have to be with another artist. She and I would have our own spaces... she works at her art and I, on mine. In the middle of the day, she gets up to stretch and I do the same, we make passionate love on the living room, have lunch and then go back to our studios...
 Johnny Scorpio
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 8:20:33 PM
Bengal Blue (above) made me realize I had the same fantasy in latent form- It's the sum total of my feelings on this subject.

Quote:
One of my fantasy relationships would have to be with another artist. She and I would have our own spaces... she works at her art and I, on mine. In the middle of the day, she gets up to stretch and I do the same, we make passionate love on the living room, have lunch and then go back to our studios..
Unquote

js
 Johnny Scorpio
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 8:34:13 PM
That (from La Gioconda above) cuts to the heart of it. If everyone understood those things it would be easier for creatives who function at those kinds of levels to be respected for doing the best they can in the world with the nature they were born with. Sometimes some of population are suspicious or derisory of 'mad artists'... In the bohemian world it's all in a day's work... to others who are unfamiliar with that world, artists of a certain highly authentic kind can all appear strange, mad, scary, hilarious, pretentious. Sometimes we really ARE those things. All part of the charm
 ladyjane701
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 9:47:17 PM
I have often wonder that same question OP.
As a graphic designer myself i usually tend to not really be attracted to others in my field. That's not to say that i wouldn't ever be. I'm not the typical artsy type as i do not frequent art galleries, art fairs and other artist type places or activities. I have no other artsy type friends (drawing, painting, sculpting, etc). But most of the friends i do have, do have a talent that i find intriguing. Whether it be working on cars, wood working or music.
I've never really settled on one type of person that i would date or hang out with as my interest are very brood and usually depends on my mood or who i am around at the time. I can get along with many different types of people.
Maybe i enjoy a bit of opposites attract type thing... to an extent.
 seattlerain11
Msg: 365
Posted: 5/14/2009 8:24:15 AM

I find on a romantic, personal level that I don't necessarily get along with most other artists. Not to place that blame on them, but I think I'm a bit more of a pragmatist and business-minded sort of artist... (but don't confuse THAT claim with 'organized' or 'Type-A' please.)

I think other artists understand the NEED to create. I have many non-artist friends, some for many years who have never understood why I just don't give it up for a steady 'day job' or at least get a 'real job' and create art as a sideline.

Artistic people:

No, but many of the places I frequent are stuffed with artists so I happen to meet more of them then the average schmoe.

Artistic people:

In general other artists make me get all twitchy because of their very low social IQ. Over the years, I've met a couple of artists that I REALLY liked though.

Something that hasn't been brought up...
One reason an artist might prefer a non-artist for a LTR (and visa versa) is the job / money scenario, but not JUST about the finances... I think a creative, artistic person can bring a unique quality and vision to a relationship, things which a very non-artistic, professional may not have but would like to have in their lives. The resulting symbiotic relationship could be very beneficial for both.

James, Seattle, Washington, USA
 farceur
Msg: 366
Posted: 5/14/2009 8:37:02 AM
Yes, I agree! I need a woman who is good with money so I can paint, or draw, or write, or...I'll do anything artistic if she will take care of the money part of things. I would even sing for my supper. I want to be symbiotic, as long as it pays well and doesn't compromise the purity of my art. It's negotiable, too. For room and board I will create a comic strip. If she puts me between silk sheets and takes me around in a fancy car, I will write the Great American Novel. And if I get my own allowance, well, her lawn would be cluttered with marble monuments to our love. I have it in me to translate financial support into masterpieces on a daily basis. I just won't cut off my ear, for anyone, no matter how many riches they lay at my feet.
 vosche
Msg: 367
Posted: 5/14/2009 8:43:27 AM
errr...it wont let me delete..without filling in something else to fill the space
 _seven_
Msg: 368
Posted: 5/14/2009 8:51:19 AM
Creatives are a bunch of "nutbars!" I know, 'cos I'm one of them! Relationships with other creatives is both good AND bad. Another creative may "get" you, but I think most of us tend to be a bit self-involved, and this can create strain when both of you are. Then again, creatives also tend to be very expressive and passionate, which can make for a very interesting ride! Non-creatives can be a nice balance and keep us more grounded, but they've got to be somewhat empathetic to our flightiness and off-the-wall thought processes.

We ARE a difficult bunch, but - IMO - worth the effort!

Blind_Archer
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 9:58:31 AM
I am artistic.

I am drawn mostly to artistic people.

I have had relationships with non-artistic people.
I don't feel a connection with them when it boils down to it.
And I can tell they feel disappointed also, that they are unable to connect with me.
Sometimes they even feel dwarfed by the very things about me that they were attracted to in the first place, because they know they cannot collaborate with me.

For example, I draw and perform music. Non-artistic types have been drawn to me because of some of my artistic endeavors which they find interesting. Yet they feel inadequate because they cannot draw with me, or perform music with me. And I am sad that I cannot collaborate with them either.

I think it works better when two artistic people join together.
 Johnny Scorpio
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:54:08 AM
Creatives of all disciplines understand each other better than non creatives. The lifestyle of a creative person can be alien to non creatives. A creative might keep strange hours, his diet might be specialised, he might spend days working flat out, followed by days of nothing. He might live happily with only basic comforts and little interest in money, prestige, possessions. He might be poor as a church mouse but have refined tastes. The prejudice that says the poor are ignorant is turned on its head and there are people who cannot accept this. A creative can be wealthy and many people resent that too-
However there are levels of understanding possible between two people of diverse background or ability that transcend the creative personality- So, potentially, it becomes less relevant whether one is creative and the other not. On a mundane level, the lifestyle of the artist can be incompatible with a 9 to 5 person's. So it can take a lot of understanding
 Nina1000
Msg: 371
Posted: 7/26/2009 12:46:12 PM
Artistic people:

No, I seek the balance of a logical/pragmatic personality. I have always liked accountants or men that work with their hands. The artistic-intellectual type has never appealed to me sexually.

I guess I could live with a sculptor, but not with a writer or a poet.........I need to sense Solidity of character and of lifestyle. I enjoy being around GROUNDING types, they are a better fit for me. Artistic people have often volatile personalities. The physical connection for me is more grounding than simply the mental connection. I find artistic men quite airy....fleety and less down-to-earth- realistic than non-artistic personality. I appreciate somebody able to think linearly, logically and simply, being myself quite complex and not linear at all. Men with a mechanical/logical inclination and a solid grounded physic are usually my preference. It's interesting ..........I have never found an intellectual type compatible with me sexually. Those that live in their mind are not a good fit for me. I also need practical stability/a routine based lifestyle to ground my artistic tendencies. A bohemian lifestyle is not for me.

I prefer being surrounded by simpler and less complex personalities than myself, at the risk of not being completely understood. Too much complexity sucks. I have enough of mine. How much paradox can one take??? How much Intellect can one take?

Give me the builder type of guy and I am happy. As far as spiritual/mental connection goes, I am usually able to find artistic friends who understand my thoughts or monks. Monks with an artistic background understand me very well, I have found. yes, a creative type gets me, but I could not live with one. Too much ups and downs, creative phases, manic states and so on.....Some artist are too Ego driven and self-absorbed for my taste.

KorbenDrake
Msg: 372
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2012 7:40:20 AM
I don't find that girls are very interested in creative types. I find that I am often isolated in relationships due to my nature. It is a shame, but the girls I have met are more interested in fashion and night clubbing, and it just shuts me down, and them eventually. However, the indifference has allowed me the time to create the Land of Grimney website! I think creative types tend to lose interest when confronted by non creatives, I certainly have, many times. It's the missing piece that prevents that spark!
 Jac_the_Gripper
Msg: 373
Posted: 2/23/2012 8:54:02 AM
I'm artistic and academic, but I'm the most musically stupid person on planet Earth.

I've often thought that anyone who's even vaguely musical wouldn't like having me around, but I don't need an academic, or an arty farty person around.

I do need to be around creative thinkers, though, somebody with intelligence and wit.

I've since rationalised that I'm an ideal person for a music-y person to have around as I'll never need a turn to playmy stuff and for the most part, I'll happily listen to someone elses choice.
 xlmagboy
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2012 9:25:03 AM
Did you remember to oil your question mark key after you typed that?
 floridian407
Msg: 375
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2012 5:55:05 PM
Okay, this is probably an YMMD post. but here goes. I consider myself to be a creative type. I am also a woman. But I don't lump all creative people into one category or mindset, It just doesn't work, its not effective. Moody, self centered . domineering ,etc? Guess I have met and known other creative people, and even as a group, I don't see them that way. As a group or separately, its like the population of various countries-a melting pot, perhaps a rainbow or a bowl of jelly beans-different personalities, ranging from shy-a local musician, to way out there-a variety of people. Some are even nerdy or geeky.
To me its like you said re: the people individually. Some I'm totally in sync with, others, I think there needs to be an in depth manual..My only issue is finding the single ones, that's not so easy..Some of my male friends are also creative, but we've discovered we are better as friends or neighbor/friends, so its back to square one.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating artistic/creative people and relationships