Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating artistic/creative people and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 truthisee
Msg: 51
artistic/creative people and relationshipsPage 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I have sat a table with those that look down upon the creative personality as less than themselves...needless to say, when I got up and walked away they smirked and giggled, believing me to be "emotional"....when I turned the table over, then they knew I really was...:)

To say all have within them varying levels of artistic creativity is indeed the truth, yet there are many that no doubt do not persue this as society in general tends to place those who do within the cliche of abnormal.

I have been with artistic individuals, as well as those who fall asleep reading a paragraph,and I can say I will never be with another non-artistic person again.....

I tend to differ from the stance that artistic creations can be found outside of the boundries of "art" as seen mainstream...just my opinion, let's leave it at that.

Art becomes a way of life, a way of thinking, behaving. I cannot "turn it off"...It is there, it is a fundamental part of me. It is the air I breath, the sight I see. Having said that I cannot see myself with anything less than a fellow artist. ;)

I truly believe that Artists in whatever capacity have a tendancy to see the world in a much different way, and I for one love it.....(keeping in mind that I differ from the stance that a cook is an Artist, that a builder is too)...I am a builder, I am around arcitects(?) all frikken day, and I find most create little more than a bloody mess, for us to clean up.

Anyways, back to hang out with the Artisticaly inclined in Poems.
 onetogo35
Msg: 52
artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 2/11/2007 7:23:56 PM
That is an interesting question.
I've always been puzzled by this. I am very creative. I have entered music competitions for many years, for classical guitar scores. I did very well, my wall adorned with various accomplishments.
I never sought out women who were creative as I, perhaps seeking a counterbalance instead....I tend to think too hard, and have little abiltiy to just relax in front of the tv sometimes.
But what comes with that is (as I experienced anyhow) is someone who doesn't understand the creative process, nor see the need for it at all. The mother of my children would watch me play the same score for 4 hrs in a row, preparing for competition, and she would say something to the effect of..."you know you can play, why isn't that good enough? Why go to compete with it?" On top of that, I would be reminded that I had children and that the guitar should take a back seat. I left her eventually, but for other reasons as well.
I wonder if someone who is equally creatrive as I would be a help or a hinderance...I like the spotlight. I like to think I am unique and though not better than someone else, I want my artistic statements heard. I think that a partner who wanted the same things may just
be too close for comfort. Who knows? In the perfect world all might be different. In the perfect world Sonny met Cher, Ozzy met Sharon, etc etc. Just my take.
 onetogo35
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/11/2007 7:29:53 PM
If I may violate the rules of Forum for a brief moment, I agree with your mind set.
Many great moments in history, in the world of art and music came from great minds. We should never downplay the neccessity for creartivity in life. Some will turn gears in factories and raise families, and be ok with that, and that is ok. I wish I were more content with the everyday hum drum. But those of us who need to create, to express, I believe, were given that task for a reason, and we hold equal weight on the map of life.
Oh, and I am a chef as well. That IS art...it is a spontaneaous creative excercise. I wish I could be paid as much for my classical scores, but nonetheless, I would never go to work for a mundane, "push the buttons", 9-5 sort of outfit. I appreciate your thread very much.
Keep sharing! I would love for you to review some of my personal efforts at fiction.
 dada1357
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2007 10:14:33 AM
Once again I have to say this is one of the best threads on POF I’ve read in some time. There have been many intelligent, provocative, and insightful comments made about the “creative vs. non-creative” psyche. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong here, but it seems the general consensus is that the creative individual tends to be more socially “evolved” and accepting. As in most theories there always seems to be an exception. I will cite an example.

I live in a rather small town in Northern Colorado. I was accepted in a museum exhibition juried by a former assistant director of the Guggenheim. Needles to say, I was bouncing off the walls with excitement. The night of the opening reception I tried to join several conversations with some of the other local artists that were in the exhibition. Everything was VERY civilized but I could tell right away I wasn’t part of their “click.” It seemed SOOOOO… high school to me. Up until that moment I mistakenly thought fellow artists were above that sort of thing. I guess what I’m saying is that artists can have the same foibles as anyone else. Has anyone else run into this sort of thing?
 Nightwing66
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/12/2007 10:34:53 AM
Yes...I think 'birds of a feather', etc.

Most of my close friends are artists of some sort & those circles are usually where I meet my dates.
 Wicked Wabbit
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/12/2007 10:43:05 AM
@ dada1357

I do think I understand what you are trying to get at with your post, and it is something that I have experienced as well.

My interest has always been writing on a level of creativity, short stories, novels, etc and it also ranges into the world of debate within the forums for example. Now always considering myself to have somewhat of a flair for words , I found myself (due to falling in love ) to be drawn into the world of poetry as a means to enhance my writing ability and of course as a creative individual to find a new, fulfilling experience. As you experienced I found the same kind of interaction, in that those that were of course not novices in any sense of the word, very cold and unreceptive of my mediocre abilities, and well to be blunt there were a couple who made it obvious to me that my poetry was not welcome.

I was somewhat surprised for I was of the thinking that we as creative individuals would not have this bias against newcomes, that as artists we would want to encourage another creative soul to enhance their writing abilities. Being the go-getter that I am, I never let anyone discourage me from something that I am passionate about, but it leads one to look into this topic a little deeper and question if two creative individuals would be a good match as if one is more advanced in their skills would it be a competition thing?

I suppouse you could chalk it up to not so much creative ability, but the personality/temperment of the individuals involved? Personally I love/admire a creative mind and within a relationship I would either take on the traits of the muse or be encouraging of a partner and their accomplishments.

So , are creative people tempermental and competitive, would they be a compatiable match?

Great thread!
 looking4u2345
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/12/2007 10:50:13 AM
What...do you think someone who is practical and disciplined would not make for a good partner in a relationship? Some people who claim to love poetry can be some of the most pretentious and insensitive people in the world. But, it is a matter of preference. Just like some people prefer golf over football. Give me someone who is down to earth any day of the week.
 truthisee
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/12/2007 11:01:28 AM
I understand Exactly what you are saying Wicked, and felt the same thing as you when I first arrived here. Through a positive attitude I was able to forge my own way. Though without a doubt one must overcome personal obsticals to achieve this.

I think also a point can be made to saying one's own self perception reguarding the need to be ackowledged to justify themselves, is within this topic.

Artist's can be a fikle bunch indeed. It seems to me sometimes that it is hard for them to acknowledge their skills in whatever field they pursue are not to par with others, but, in recognizing the abilities of others, we grow within ourselves.

Practice makes perfect, sometimes, as there are those that are simply born with a talent that outshines others. I find those with this talent are more open to those who are not.

Inside of a relationship, creativity should be encouraged, two artists together will make quite the team, as long as egos do not get in the way, of course.

There will always be a person behind the art, that person is an individual, and as such, will differ in many ways from yourself. Seeing yourself as an artist first, and an SO second, is a recipe for disaster.

But I would rather be with someone who can understand that art to me is serious, and not a simple hobby.
 Wicked Wabbit
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/12/2007 11:13:06 AM

But I would rather be with someone who can understand that art to me is serious, and not a simple hobby.

Very well said "truth" for words flow through our minds, souls, and heart continously, meaning we are ever constant thinkers. Many times I have been told by men who are not creative in nature that I think to much and to stop thinking. All my life I have been this way, and how on earth do you stop thinking?

From the time I was a little girl, I have always had paper and pen in hand, and even now my desk is strewn with paper and pen, to me someone who isn't fueled by this passion is lost in understanding me sadly.

So yes I do believe two creative souls are more equally matched, but yes as long as the egos are most definitely kept in check.

Poetry is not my forte "Truth", but I am watching, learning, and growing........who knows where it will lead me, in the meantime I admire the greats such as yourself.

Peace
 marriedwithchildren
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/12/2007 11:13:31 AM
Has with anything in life it is in striking a balance with the forces around us that allow us to thrive in our environment. I feel that everyone has a creative force inside of them, but not all of us were encouraged or is some cases even allowed to follow that path in our life’s.

Most artists, except for those of you here, naturally, are a little bit out there to begin with. Artists tend to have an inflated sense of their own worth in the universe and so do not feel as constrained by the rules that govern the rest of us mere mortals. It is when they fall into their own trappings of self righteousness, the 'cliché' mentality, that you soon realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side, and that they are just as shallow as the rest of us.

As a group, Artists are generally moody, self centered, domineering and prone to bouts of hysterical egotistical fanaticism.

On an individual basis, they are some of the most beautiful people I have ever met.
 looking4u2345
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/12/2007 12:01:19 PM
Very well put marriedwithchildren.

However, I don't agree with the generalization of artists on an individual basis. Most I have met are fickle, dreamers, self absorbed, depressed, have an unrealistic sense of themselves and are much too introspective.

I think balance is what is needed. However, as said above those that consider themselves true artists eat, drink and sleep art. That just would not be for me.
 dada1357
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2007 12:02:30 PM
VERY perceptive views “Wicked” and “Truth.” I wasn’t necessarily commenting on the other artists as potential mates just in the seemingly immature attitudes of accepting a fellow artist in their “Inner Circle” so to speak. As I mentioned in my original post I as very much in love with a painter. One of the most wonderful things about the relationship was the mutual understanding each of us had regarding why we did what we did. As far as the competition/skill level thing goes that’s a hard one. If each person worked in the same medium I could see where that might happen. But then again, if I were involved with a fellow sculptor I would nurture my significant other’s career as much as I could. Sculpture is no different in my opinion than any other medium. Each artist has their own voice and uses her/his medium to communicate in their own way. So I guess I don’t see where the competition would take place.
 looking4u2345
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/12/2007 12:20:18 PM
"Poetry is not my forte "Truth", but I am watching, learning, and growing........who knows where it will lead me, in the meantime I admire the greats such as yourself."

My point exactly.
 truthisee
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/12/2007 12:38:28 PM
Pardon me?....

But I for one take offence at personal attacks, be it within any medium.
Wicked is an intelligent, articulate individual, who strives, much like myself, for inner growth, both mental and spiritual....

Personality disorders can be found within all walks of life. To catagorize artists as you have is quite simply......ignorant.

I guess we fear what we cannot understand, but....

Artists are the music you correspond with....dance to, personalize with...
The books you read, fall into when you need to get away....
The pictures you look at, love, and admire....
The poems you read, that tell of personal struggles much like your own...

Basically, artists are the voice of a generation, immortalized for eons....

But hey, you have a pretty face, so you should be seen as more right?....

As I said, and thank you for proving my point, I would much rather be with an Artist, who percieves the world beyond themselves, than not.

7rainbows
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2007 3:26:58 PM
I guess what im saying is, im looking to meet someone who thinks outside the lines a bit, uses imagination and is a deep thinker.

My x was rather creative musically, though take him to an art gallery and he hadnt got a clue. I love art, looking at it, talking about it, creating it and im really into abstract too. You know the kind of stuff that makes people tilt their head at funny angles and say wtf is that
 youres
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/12/2007 5:34:31 PM
I think I do too but I never really think about it. it's like a turbo. you have it but you don't really feel it until you really do push on the gas. Yup artistic folks are definitly more passionate and can bring out passion in you as well a lot better than people who have no artistic inclination.
 artismypassion
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/12/2007 5:52:11 PM
I have run into the cold, pretentious, insensitive and unreceptive individuals, in many industries. That is not exclusive to the artistic community.

Those are insecure individuals that see others as a threat, or challenge to their abilities. I feel that those who are secure in their abilities love to help others. It is the old saying you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince. No matter what industry you are in there are frogs and princes.

I do not consider myself temperamental and am only competitive with myself.

I do think artists tend to stay in their heads a lot. All ideas need fertile soil to grow in. Working out the solution before going to paper or canvas. (whatever medium)
That I think that is the hardest part about understanding an artist. Their need for alone time to think, analyze and create. Derived them of that alone time…maybe that is where the moody could come in?

I do take offense with some of the descriptions of artists. Just because some are jerks don’t lump us all into that category. I am happy, warm, sensitive, and receptive and love to help others. I have no need to “suffer for my work”. I just love creating. Take that away from me and that would be a slow agonizing death.
I agree with truthisee comment 64.

Be happy!
 gardennut
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/12/2007 6:16:31 PM
I am an artistic person as a published poet and aspiring novelist (which I plan to write when I grow up). I am a pianist/organist and I write songs which are performed by the youth choir I direct.

I never had a significant relationship with another artistic person in the past. I would not say that it was a particular problem, although general lack of long-term compatibility certainly was.

My current partner is an avid reader, like myself. He has excellent writing skills, and has plans to write a book himself. I have never had a partner so able to express himself in writing, and our emails back and forth inspire us both (we have a LDR and only see each other weekends, so staying in contact by email is one way we stay connected).

My partner was never into poetry, and he had certainly never written a poem----until last week, when he sent me a love poem via email.

Well, just guess how that was received by me...........

My partner is a creative person with a deep intellect, where he thinks "outside the box". This is vitally important to me, and one thing that sets him widely apart from any previous partner. We are intellectual kindred spirits, and this is one thing that makes for the most exquisitely satisfying relationship either of us has ever experienced.
 MikeTheWriter
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/12/2007 6:27:43 PM
Great Question! I, as you can tell from my screenname, am a writer. Sure, I love talking to writers, artists, actors, singers etc. However, I do believe that we are all creative in our own ways. I'm inspired by other creative people and greatly enjoy sharing an insightful conversation with anyone who is willing to discuss their thoughts, ideas, etc. And just like "ALL" men or "ALL" women aren't absolutes neither is "ALL ARTISTS." We are all different and probably approach our creative forms in different ways. Just give me someone who can think as if there is no box and I'm happy regardless of whether or not they are creative or have any specific talents or gifts.
 looking4u2345
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/12/2007 6:33:52 PM
"Basically, artists are the voice of a generation, immortalized for eons...."

Oh...did I mention artists tend to be grandiose with an inflated sense of self importance?

Just kidding. Nothing personal. I couldn't resist. I really have nothing against artists. However, I hope you artist types do have a sense of humor.

If not, I am fully expecting some fall out.
 PoetFriend
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/12/2007 7:00:55 PM
Dear looking4u2345,

The only grand I have are my debts!

Yes we have sense of humor and since you have it too then
I deduct you are an artist...

Ok, you can refuse to be an artist but no one, not even you,
can refuse to be creative...

Artistee
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2007 7:37:31 PM
I are an artist!

You've gotta use caution with the artistic and creative minded...(i.e. artists, sculptors, graphic designers, interior designers, fashion designers, musicians, writers, playwrights, composers...etc...)

(1) We tend to live in our own worlds...

(2) We are somewhat/totally offbeat in our thinking...

(3) We tend to live our lives within a spectrum that ranges from slightly irresponsible to outright burning the candle on both ends...

(4) IMPORTANT POINT TO PONDER: We are not the most economically minded individuals to have around, as we tend to be extremely proficient at spending OPM (Other People's Money)...For example, give us a $300,000.00 dollar budget to make/design something, and we will generally spend that amount, often going overboard...

(5) We tend to like doing what we want whenever we want to, regardless of what you may think, feel, or claim that you have done for us...Our kind would be the first to throw you the "You don't own me!" statement...

In my view, if one can stand all that inconvenience (and trouble)...by all means... "Love An Artist"!!!

Good Luck!
 looking4u2345
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/13/2007 6:28:49 AM
^^^ Yes, I am aware of all that. (lol) Sorry if I offended anyone. I was just getting my point out there.

What I am saying is there is something to be said for people that take on difficult subjects and work towards achieving in their chosen professions. Those professions might not require as much creativity; but, do require a certain amount of dedication. I myself admire that more. Again, it is a matter of preference as I said above.

No hard feelings.
 blastkissed
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/13/2007 6:33:41 AM
A man being artistic like me isn't a prerequisite but it's a bonus if he appreciates my artistic talent.

I don't want another "me". So I guess it really wouldn't matter too much. I'm more concerned about how someone makes me feel when I am with them then what they do.
 7rainbows
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2007 11:30:09 AM
I just prefer the more artistic types as they tend to be more passionate and imaginative as well as experimental.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating artistic/creative people and relationships