Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > The chickens AND the eggs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1-800 you wish
Msg: 26
The chickens AND the eggsPage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
The RSPCA is running a "fair go for farm animals" petition at www.rspca.org.au/campaign/fairgo.asp.......only takes a minute to submit your objections to 1) sow crates 2)battery hens and 3)large live animal exports.
You just never know if enough of us sign it maybe things will change.........or am i just dreaming again!!!
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 27
The chickens AND the eggs
Posted: 2/26/2007 5:48:02 AM
Thanks for that info Sarah, I for one very much appreciate it and will add my name. Gotta keep chipping away.
 saltytowers
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/26/2007 6:40:41 AM
The difference is, saltytowers, people have CHOICES and the right/freedom to make those choices.....those poor chickens do not have the same rights....

One of my dogs chose. She insisted. Her owner nor me had any say in it. The other one was going to get a bullet in the head (unwanted puppy) and she sure didnt choose to live with me, but I try to make it ok for her.

I do not have a choice! I cannot build and live in my own shelter. There are laws against it. I cannot take a pee in my own backyard. I cannot water my lawns with grey water from the septic. I cannot walk naked. I cannot not have a job. I live 100m from the mighty murray and yet cannot take a bucket of water from it. Only those with paid permits can. I cannot leave my desk at work. I cannot not pay my bills. I am not allowed to live in a house with no plumbing and electric. I am not allowed to live in a shed. I am not allowed to build a shed on my own land without approval from someone else. I am not allowed to drive a car without a licence and permission and paying the appropriate fee. I am not allowed to walk across a boundary/border without permission (and in writing).

I am not allowed to keep chickens! I am not allowed to keep a horse. I am not....

ok ok...we get the idea.

The chooks as you say have no choice. And their life is horrendous. Put out until you drop, then out the door. Ever been in a sweat shop?

I'd love to see battery hens and all manner of mass produced food stuffs banned. None of it is natural. None of it. Sheep bred and born just to be kicked around, zapped in the head while terrified, skun to give you car seat covers and ug boots, and then chopped up for a dinner plate or barbecue. Have you ever seen how terrified those animals are in slaughter houses (next time you eat a steak think about it) and how roughly they are treated by human morons with steel caps on, who love to prove they're tough guys by booting animals and seeing them cringe in pain?

Yep! Ban the lot!

And dont get me started on the excuse we call vegetables. Mass produced toxic cocktails.

I guess I was trying to make the point that this way of life in totality is way out of whack.
Not healthy for us...or for the unseen food providers.

But ya know...I am not allowed to go and get my own wild meet...and kill it humanely....without permission. In writing.

If we intend to do something about changing it. Quit buying from your supermarkets. They get their trade by bulk selling at cheaper prices. That means finding ways to make more and cost less, to fill those orders (and your shopping trolley)

Cruelty to production animals will not stop as long as there is money and bulk production in demand. From us...the consumer. Greed.

They stopped 'some' of the elephant poaching by going world wide with an appeal to not buy anything made from ivory. Ivory has been used for centuries. It became a problem when bulk buying and quick money came into it. And greed. They ran out of dead ones and started killing the live ones to supply demand in a market where the consumer was safely removed from the source. Head in sand.

Organic meat and fruit now has a place in the market...but plenty of REAL organic growers cant get a permit or get certified. It costs too much money. So that labelling is really only available to the 'bulk suppliers' once again.

I'm not allowed to buy milk from the dairy down the road. Seriously! If they get caught selling me milk from a cow..they can lose their licence to produce (there it is again). So they have to send it to the factory, where it is killed and packaged, sent to a shop, and I have to go buy it there.

I have a choice? I dont think so. Show me one person in this country who is free to live as they choose. Just one.

Battery hens are an indication of a greater illness. Next time you see a shop egg. Think about this thread. Think about life. Dont buy the eggs. Go home and kiss your kids and teach them how to climb a tree. Just make sure its not a public tree. Insurance and public liability you know. Not allowed.

Think about it. It has to start somewhere. Start with the humble egg.

Sorry for the long ramble. Back in my box now.
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/26/2007 7:16:39 AM
Salty, good on you for putting all that out there, and still coming back to the conclusion that you can do some stuff to change our world, even if it feels pretty overwhelming at times. People who really think about things, and who want the world to be a better place, and you're obviously one of those people, often feel the sort of frustration you've just expressed with such feeling. But to bring it all back to, "well, despite all that, yes I can do this and this", shows your strength of character and I reckon it's a good sign of who a person is. Sometimes it would be bliss just to be a less thinking person, throw your hands in the air and give up, and get absorbed by the drone mentality and go with the flow, but, and this is just how I see it, without people like you who give a sh1t, and who don't lose sight of what is possible, there'd be no hope for any of it.
 saltytowers
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/26/2007 3:02:55 PM
thanks naamah
sorry my ruffled feathers were showing...
back in my box now
 Faux Pa
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/10/2007 3:41:18 AM
At the risk of harping on about the economics of free range cackleberries, I should report back that the eggs I got from the market last week had two double-yolkers among them. I've spoken sternly to the egg merchant in question indicating that I need to also see an equal number of double-whiters.
He's taken this on board and if he can crack the technology (pun intended), these eggs will end up a viable financial proposition.
He was also muttering something about needing a carton with fourteen spaces, but personally, I think he's making excuses.
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/10/2007 4:10:00 AM
Ah good news from the free range front. So do they taste any better???

I doubt you'll get double whites I'm afraid. The yolk only takes the chook a short time to make, half hour or so, whereas the white takes longer to build, more than an hour I think. A second yolk can sneak out while the white is still being formed and meld in there, but after the white it's off to the bit where the shell is formed, which takes them something like 20 hours to make. So even if more white is forming it will be locked out once the shell process starts. Amazing little darlin's. Todays egg started yesterday, and as she lays todays egg she's starting making tomorrows. No wonder the farmer's genetic interference to make them lay more quickly pushes their systems over the top and causes prolapse and internal fluid damage!!
 QueenV07
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/10/2007 4:22:40 AM
Well, I was on the side of eating those free range eggs, living in the country every second person has chooks in their yard and so free range are also free in most cases. But since I now no the process that goes into making those little things... ummmm... might be just having cereal for breaky this Sunday... am kind of put of the egg things a bit for now...

Looking forward to the ones that Cadbury makes though... can't wait for Easter. Maybe after I get sick on choccy eggs I might go back to eating the ones the chooks make. Hmmmmm...
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/10/2007 4:31:02 AM
Aw sorry Queenv07, I didn't mean to take the mystery out of it for you.

A friend of mine went off eggs when she first met my chooks. Said she had never really thought before how they came out of chook's bums, knew it obviously, but hadn't thought about it.
 QueenV07
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/10/2007 4:33:03 AM
What, they come out of their bums.... where in the feck did she think that they came from?

Even though I am a bit put off by your description I can say that the home grown egg is much tastier than the other type. Makes the best omelette's too.
 Faux Pa
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/10/2007 4:58:01 AM

So do they taste any better???

Ummm . . well I'd like to say yes, but I haven't tried them in the taste department yet. I've only had to make sure the bread crumbs stay attached to the schnitzel and I expect that might not count.
Man, you sure know a lot about eggs . . thanks for the eggucation.

But what about QueenV07 . . I mean . . she gets free eggs . . for crying out loud!
Boy, I spend all this time with an Egcel spreadsheet deeply immersed in a cost benefit analysis together with the ROI of same and she comes sailing in her to tell us she's the beneficiary of free googies.
I guess I need some to re-look at the eggonomics of all this.

While I'm at it . . anyone know what came first . . the chicken or the egg?
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:00:20 AM
Do you really want me to post an answer to that Faux? Really? Just say the word!
 QueenV07
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:04:21 AM

But what about QueenV07 . . I mean . . she gets free eggs . . for crying out loud!

Yep and they taste even better when they are free, that's another benefit of living in the country... to many eggs, not enough egg eaters. I love em, well, at least I did until that silly lade with the funny face set me straight on a few things....
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:08:09 AM
Ah go on, what difference does it make if they take 2 minutes or 23 hours to make 'em, eggs is eggs....as long as they come from free range girls it's all good. I admit that I myself don't eat eggs, but I only don't cos I don't like them. I just like having chickens.
 GenuineGoddess
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:15:54 AM
Fresh eggs not only taste better, they are better. The best of all is when I make fresh pasta.. the pasta has more colour and you can definitely taste the difference.

Double yolks are considered to be a sign of good luck so my mother taught me.

Queeen the Cadbury eggs are out already.. I personally like dark chocolate eggs..
You are so lucky to have free range fresh eggs. So lucky indeed.
 netab
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:16:00 AM
I know you gals are edging towards defining the precise biological function that is responsible for the egg. I'd rather you didn't - please, I like my eggs!
 GenuineGoddess
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:17:40 AM
Netab... go for it... lets here it.. the biological function of the egg..

Faux Pa
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:18:03 AM

Do you really want me to post an answer to that Faux? Really? Just say the word!

Well, it's just that you know so much about eggs . . I just thought you might know.

And yeah, what is it with these free range eggs. I mean, they have some sort of chicken guano on them.
Does this mean free range cluckers don't carry toilet paper. Enquiring minds . . .
 netab
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:31:48 AM
Genuine G - I'm sure that all the blokes would agree that this subject is definitly OFF thread!
 BluePatch
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:59:58 AM
Give me free range dark choccie eggs any day, but not with bacon - yuck.
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/10/2007 7:28:45 AM
Biological function of an egg?? Err, to make new chickens. Not sure what all that concern is all about. I've already put QueenV07 off with talk off the making of an egg. Is it fertilisation that has you all squeamish Netab?? Ok well I won't say anything about rooster sperm I promise. Oh god I said it anyway didn't I .

Fertilised eggs won't start to develop unless heat is applied. A potential baby chicken is not there as such....there's a state of suspended animation until the hen starts sitting. They need a mum there when they hatch so nature won't let them just develop in isolation of mum's external influence. (Incubators and human interference aside) And because she only lays one egg a day, and if she lays say 14 eggs, it means that if they started developing from time of lay she'd have babies being born over a 2 week period which would be very difficult to manage. So she'll lay them one by one, start sitting only when she's laid her whole clutch, they'll all start to develop only when she starts sitting, and about 3 weeks later all her babies will be born pretty much within a 48 hour period of each other... even though egg 1 and egg 14 were laid 2 weeks apart. Amazing huh!

I guess really hot conditions might be enough to kick it off, or if a hen has sat on the egg for a couple of days before it was collected then you may see some very very minor commencement of development that you would rather not see. If there's no rooster, this isn't ever going to be an an issue. Free range egg farmers don't usually have roosters as far as I know??? Your average rural person will generally have a rooster lurking about the place. Not sure my Franklin would like the term 'lurking', but anyway...strutting more like it.

Faux, the natural staining (how tactful was that) you sometimes see doesn't happen when the egg is laid. The errr, ok, I'm trying to tread warily here...the cloaca is an exit point for two different internal passages but by design it does not and cannot perform both functions at once if you see my point. Chooks do like to share nests, check out each other's eggs, lay their egg where there is already an egg. Any staining is obviously a later accidental occurrence from a visitor, and you know how some visitors just don't think to wipe their feet before they come in the house...well there you go. The shell keeps the egg within quite safe for consumption. Certainly far safer than those chemicals inside the other eggs you used to eat before you came over to the light.

Look at you and your innocent little which came first question. I think your version is much shorter than mine. Go on then....
 GenuineGoddess
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/10/2007 1:59:07 PM

guess really hot conditions might be enough to kick it off, or if a hen has sat on the egg for a couple of days before it was collected then you may see some very very minor commencement of development that you would rather not see. If there's no rooster, this isn't ever going to be an an issue. Free range egg farmers don't usually have roosters as far as I know??

How interesting is that Naamah.. I always knew the concepts you have you put it simply. If a rooster is not required, what is the purpose of the rooster's role. hmmmmm

sounds like the humble chicken is way ahead in evolution.
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:37:21 PM
Hey GG,

I apparently didn't word that paragraph so well.....What I meant was there is a need for a rooster for fertilisation first, and THEN it might be possible for hot conditions other than a sitting hen to kick off development. No, the humble hen hasn't quite mastered parthenogenesis, the rooster is definitely needed. The egg farmers probably don't have them because they want the eggs, not chicks.
 QueenV07
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/10/2007 11:51:52 PM
Naamah, where were you when my children asked me how you got plain eggs and not chickens in the pan when you cracked an egg. It took me long time to explain that they needed a daddy 'hen' to make a baby chicken. They new that their Poppy's farm had a Rooster so still couldn't figure out why the eggs were not full of baby chicks... I'm sure your explanation above would have been so much better than my pretty pathetic.... "because, that's just the way it is"...
 ebgdae
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/11/2007 12:04:34 AM
Speaking about free range eggs,,,, and the previous few posts,,, it brings to mind a teensy precaution about home grown eggs.
I remember one crisp morning when breaking eggs into a frypan for that yummy breakfast omelete. Appetite and enthusiasm are severely affected when one of the eggs are broken to reveal a partly formed chickie that some clever chookie has managed to hide and some cleverer person has managed to locate, ,,,,,,,,,eventually, lol

OK,,,too much info

Sorry about that
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > The chickens AND the eggs