Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > The chickens AND the eggs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dark Stanley
Msg: 76
The chickens AND the eggsPage 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

What would you call humans standing in the production line in one place day after day after day. Or chained to a computer and desk day after day after day. Productivity. Profits. A most unnatural and unhealthy mode of living.

Yes but they don't cut off your lips and keep you there 24 hours a day!! And you are there by choice not as a slave. You can't even compare this, sorry!!
 curiousaboutu77
Msg: 77
view profile
History
The chickens AND the eggs
Posted: 6/10/2008 4:26:28 AM
It is very sad the way they treat chickens so that they are tender and soft just like KFC likes them to be. Your almost happy when they finally become cooked chicken because atleast then the suffering has ended for them.
The farmers don't seem to care because as far as they are concerned however the purchasers of there product like a supermarket or restaurant want them is how they get them sold. Apparently even the way the chicken dies effects the quality of the meat so the death is quite painful for them and it is all very inhuman but i don't eat chicken or eggs anymore because i'm put off by the conditions that they come from and have lived, it is definitely correct that animals should die of natural death and not after a couple of months by electrocution or whatever just so that the meat is better. It is amazing how money can override any sense of decency when it comes to the treatment of animals.
 2sirwithlove
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/10/2008 4:34:42 AM
It definitely does sound dramatic, but to be honest here, when I buy eggs, I don't care if they are free range, or whatever. As long as they are fresh and cheap.
 Goddess of dreams
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/10/2008 4:56:54 AM

I just think people bring other issues about chickens and eggs to confuse us so much so we never have time to find out which came first the chicken or the egg.
 2sirwithlove
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/10/2008 5:00:41 AM
The egg did, I know, coz I asked the chicken and she told me!
 julianx
Msg: 81
Posted: 6/10/2008 5:17:53 AM
Funny how these old threads keep popping up, but while it's here I thought I'd add something.
I stopped eating battery eggs about 20 years ago and I remember back then very few shops sold them and you certainly couldn't get them at woolies. In fact sunny queen had such a strangle hold on the egg market that at one point the organic food shop we got our free range eggs from had to sell them labelled as pet food to avoid litigation.

It's hard to believe it now, as free range eggs are available in all the major supermarket chains. The point I'd like to make is that this shows that pressure from consumers can make a difference, even if it did take twenty years for free range eggs to be available freely in supermarket. Perhaps in another 20 years battery eggs will have been phased out completely.
 PosterGirl
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/10/2008 5:32:40 AM

The point I'd like to make is that this shows that pressure from consumers can make a difference, even if it did take twenty years for free range eggs to be available freely in supermarket. Perhaps in another 20 years battery eggs will have been phased out completely.

Good example of how just "doing something"- does 'something'.

As far as free range eggs go... it's the smarter choice all round..win/win really.
 hilly1971
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/10/2008 5:32:56 AM

Perhaps in another 20 years battery eggs will have been phased out completely.

We can but hope, but considering the ignorance of people who see nothing wrong with this sort of practice im not holding my breath. But every person who refuses to buy battery eggs is helping the cause. Myself I have not bought eggs for ages, Thelma and Louise produce two fresh ones every morning and all they expect in return is the household scraps. I wont mention that I have no pot plants left and im forever chasing the girls out of the house after yet another successful break-in, as I might put off potential chook owners.
 photoman001
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/10/2008 5:59:58 AM
I got one of those battery hens for my nephew. I've looked all over and I still can't find where the batteries go in .....................
 Faux Pa
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/10/2008 7:11:15 AM

. . . so we never have time to find out which came first the chicken or the egg.

And the answer is . . . the Rooster

But on the chickens thing, I heard on the radio the other week that these days all commercially bred hybridised chickens are pretty much the same. They've been bred for their fast growing characteristics among other things and it's the same for free-range chooks as well as the caged ones. There's an issue of biodiversity tangled up in all this, too.
 julianx
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/10/2008 3:48:34 PM

We can but hope, but considering the ignorance of people who see nothing wrong with this sort of practice im not holding my breath.

But on the chickens thing, I heard on the radio the other week that these days all commercially bred hybridised chickens are pretty much the same. They've been bred for their fast growing characteristics among other things and it's the same for free-range chooks as well as the caged ones. There's an issue of biodiversity tangled up in all this, too.

Get out of happyland you evil cynics!! Next you'll be telling me there's no such thing as pixies and elves
 dimeadozen
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/10/2008 8:11:51 PM

I wont mention that I have no pot plants left and im forever chasing the girls out of the house after yet another successful break-in, as I might put off potential chook owners.

yes well it does put me off I have to say. I had four chooks for a couple of years and I used to let them out of the chook yard because they wanted to scratch around under the trees etc. You can tell when chooks are happy. I think you need a separate part of the yard under the fruit trees (good for getting rid of fruit fly) or something, for them to scratch around in coz they do decimate the smaller plants.

But its a good reminder to exercise what power we do have to make changes for the better. Free range eggs aren't that much dearer.

I'd like to know how we can choose beef from un feedlotted cattle because thats really gross too.
 Naamah
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/10/2008 8:26:16 PM

They've been bred for their fast growing characteristics among other things and it's the same for free-range chooks as well as the caged ones.

Sadly, true. Genetics have been messed with to such a degree that it is hard to find a genuinely natural chook these days. I'm not so sure it's to do with the fast growing issue though, but moreso in pursuit of increased egg production and those modifications being spread through the genetics of even non-commercial hens. Even my girls who were born here and have never been fed anything with chemicals in it seem to suffer a surprisingly high rate of reproductive problems, compared to chooks I had as a kid that never had anything go wrong with them. Most common is a thing called egg yolk peritonitis, where egg yolk escapes the oviduct and surrounds their other organs, and requires veterinary intervention to prevent an untimely death. Ovarian cancer is a close second. My avian vet tells me that bantam breeds are generally less prone to these sorts of problems due to the fact that they've been left in relative genetic peace because their little eggs are not commercially viable anyway.

But none of that detracts from the fact that it still makes a big difference to human health to try to avoid eating both eggs and meat from birds who have been directly fed antibiotics and hormones.

Edit: Dimeadozen, perhaps try these... http://www.ecodirectory.com.au/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=229&Itemid=86
 hilly1971
Msg: 89
Posted: 6/11/2008 1:40:33 AM

I'd like to know how we can choose beef from un feedlotted cattle because thats really gross too.

Many local butchers stock organic, free range meat these days as there is a small, select market for it. Often you need to actually ask for it though. Yeah it costs a bit more but after tasting it it is very hard to go back to normal meat. If you buy your meat from the large supermarket chains then you are a bit buggered really......cos most of it is full of god knows what.

The alternative is to grow your own beast, then you know what its been fed and that it lived happily and died humanely.

You need a biggish garden to do that though!!
 dimeadozen
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/11/2008 1:52:02 AM
I had a look at the ecodirectory site. Very good although there are no meat retailers listed in WA. Which is not to say they dont exist. I will ask the local butcher and see what he reckons.

A biggish garden...yes! And imagine how attached you would get to him if you only had one. I'd have trouble eating him after that.
 crazytimes1
Msg: 91
Posted: 6/11/2008 4:01:03 AM
The only time I care is when I am making scrambled eggs. The better your 1337 cooking skillz with scrambled eggs, the less taste is imparted in the cooking process. As such, battery eggs do not really have a taste, so I will use the fancier hippy eggs for this.

I have bigger issues to worry about in life then the wellbeing of hens to be honest.
 hilly1971
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/11/2008 4:05:57 AM

And imagine how attached you would get to him if you only had one.

Steers are like husbands.........you miss them briefly when they go, but you soon get over it and replace them with a new one!

But seriously, yep I know where you are coming from, my steer never ended up in the freezer as planned, He looked at me with his big cow eyes and I swear to god he knew what I had planned.

That was the end of that!

I have bigger issues to worry about in life then the wellbeing of hens to be honest.

Doh...least you are honest...I suppose!
 crazytimes1
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/11/2008 4:16:14 AM

Doh...least you are honest...I suppose!

While we are worrying about how some birds are feeling, millions of Africans are starving to death, millions of Chinese are sitting in the rubble that was their homes and businesses and millions of Indians are eating faeces contaminated rice...

When we solve those problems, then maybe, just maybe, I will start to worry about more than the taste of my scrambled eggs. Given the only thing likely to even put a dent in these issues is some kind of glbal catastrophe reducing world populations by an order of magnitude, I think I may have bigger dramas at that time though.
 2sirwithlove
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/11/2008 5:05:44 AM

millions of Indians are eating faeces contaminated rice...

Maybe it is the faeces of the free range chicken in the rice. Another good reason to keep the hens in a cage. Keeps the poop off the rice!
 Naamah
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/11/2008 5:11:39 AM

millions of Africans are starving to death, millions of Chinese are sitting in the rubble that was their homes and businesses and millions of Indians are eating faeces contaminated rice...

...and you are apparently still making scrambled eggs, which I don't say with any intended disrepect but merely to make the point that you haven't stopped living daily life and visiting the supermarket in the wake of these human tragedies. So if you have to buy eggs anyway...how would your concerns for global tragedies prevent you from sparing a seconds thought to the type of eggs you buy? I dunno...I am always puzzled as to why people say that they cannot possibly consider one issue because of other issues... especially when this particular one issue can eventually be fixed by simple consumer choice in the supermarket. I'm sure when consumer choices forced the practice to be phased out in many European countries, it wasn't all the people in those countries cared about.

how some birds are feeling

It's not exactly as small an issue as how 'some birds are feeling'...more like systematic torture of millions of birds.
 hilly1971
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/11/2008 5:56:12 AM

While we are worrying about how some birds are feeling, millions of Africans are starving to death, millions of Chinese are sitting in the rubble that was their homes and businesses and millions of Indians are eating faeces contaminated rice...

Ok, bugger the chickens. Lets come from a different angle.

I seriously think that if people care about their health they would spend a couple of extra bucks and buy organic, free range.
Battery hens are kept alive (well some at least) in the foul conditions they have to live in by the use of hormones to promote growth and laying and widespread routine use of antibiotics, to attempt to prevent diseases that living in such conditions causes. It is not unusual for dead chickens to be amongst the live ones and actually have eggs laid on them as this is the closest thing to nesting material these birds ever have. And as we all know egg shells are porous!

Anyway, enough really as if its not something you care about then there is nothing I can do to change that. But think about it, because when you get a disease and antibiotics dont work because of overuse or you ingest so many artificial hormones that your willie drops off and you grow boobies.......dont be blaming me as I tried to tell ya!!!!
 EdibleEmma
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/11/2008 1:52:05 PM
thankyou for bringing this issue to peoples attention. It is also something that I feel very strongly about. It is a very valid point that you raise in that "why would people want to eat eggs from diseased cancerous chickens."

Poor creatures.
 I really do have a life
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/11/2008 4:20:30 PM
It has or rather is taking a while but slowly over the last 4 years our home is getting more and more organic if not organic its home made.
My Chickens lay wonderful fresh eggs often get double yolkers.. never see them with the store bought ones. And o the taste. My vege patch is companion planted, using organic sprays, composted and loved - almost as much as the chooks and kids. Cleaning products, consist of white vinegar and orange oil . Soaps, hair products etc are all home made or organic. I try to buy food at its most unprocessed state.. whole foods so I dont eat fast food or margerine. ( yuk)

I havent had a major sickness cold or flu in 4 years ( and now by sayin it I will get plurasy! haha) I bake home made cakes, biscuits with organic ingrediants every sunday for school / work lunches etc , share alot of it with friends and family.

It isnt that hard to do. A little effort and commitment , and the cost is compariable. The food is more filling, your body works better. I look great, my skin is great, my eyes sparkle. I look and feel healthy.

At the moment I am looking into giving up the microwave! ( jury is well out as I am a bit lazy!) It has taken time to re adjust my choices. I am no greenie, I dont drive a green car, etc. But I care alot about my health that I will make as many positive healthy choices as I can, and at the least seriously consider all the options.

Its not about buying the food- products its about making a personal commitment and choices which you are willing to give a real go at. Start small. Start with the basics.
 crazytimes1
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/12/2008 3:07:24 AM

...and you are apparently still making scrambled eggs, which I don't say with any intended disrepect but merely to make the point that you haven't stopped living daily life and visiting the supermarket in the wake of these human tragedies.

Perhaps you missed the point, aside from scrambled eggs being nice on toast with a side of crispy bacon. Mm...

I am reasonably confident that no one in this thread is posting from a Red Cross food distribution centre in African, from a Unicef shelter in India or from a refugee camp in China. I know I am not.

It's not exactly as small an issue as how 'some birds are feeling'...more like systematic torture of millions of birds.
You use all the awesome buzzwords. I will enjoy my eggs- I am thinking an egg and bacon roll tomorrow is definitely on the cards.
 Naamah
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/13/2008 8:13:55 PM

It is also something that I feel very strongly about.

Hi EdibleEmma! Nice to see a UK visitor over this way. From what I’ve read you guys seem to be somewhat ahead of us with big changes in consumer demand with respect to all of this. I read about the resurgence of Farmer’s Markets and small scale production outlets finding favour over there.

when you get a disease and antibiotics dont work because of overuse or you ingest so many artificial hormones that your willie drops off and you grow boobies.......dont be blaming me

Grow boobies you say? Hmmm…. *reconsiders stance*

You use all the awesome buzzwords.

The earlier ‘some birds’ comment seemed to minimise the scale and scope of what is a significantly larger issue, and I felt I wanted to address that misnomer. No buzzwords…not when the facts clearly represent that it is systematic, it is torturous, and it does involve millions of birds. Naturally people are welcome to choose not to take an interest in this issue, but the mere fact of lack of individual interest in an issue does not shrink it.

scrambled eggs being nice on toast with a side of crispy bacon. Mm... // …I will enjoy my eggs- I am thinking an egg and bacon roll tomorrow is definitely on the cards.

Sounds good...but watch out for eggs that are laid on a little thick, and bacon sliced so thin that it’s entirely transparent. ...Cheers.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > The chickens AND the eggs