Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Materialistic things? How are we judged?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NJ_Phil
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Materialistic things? How are we judged?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
@raina-kd:
I like the way you think. So many people think the other way and can only afford the Corolla but buy the BMW. It's a never endless cycle.
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Materialistic things? How are we judged?
Posted: 12/18/2011 3:06:38 PM
I remember a test where they would show pictures of attractive and unattractive men to women, along with the salary these people earned. A good-looking man with a low income was instantly a whole lot less attractive to women than a not so good-looking man with a high income. Materialistic things are a pretty good indicator of where you stand in the gene pool. If you are poor, it means you have a low education, and lack the social and intellectual skills to make money. It also means that you have a low status in the human pecking order. That make you unattractive. Smart people on the other hand earn a lot of money because their skills are in demand, and the stuff they own shows their status in society. That said, women always go for the rich guys. Those who say they don't care about money are just full of it.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/18/2011 7:43:50 PM
roxie said:

I have had and I have lost and I have learned through it all that what we attain inside is what makes us rich.

The question is this, who do you want as a partner? One who values your things or one who values you.

I second both statements.
 egowitch
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/18/2011 7:43:54 PM
When I see someone with all kinds of photos of their "stuff" , often without any humans in the pictures - the first thought I have is "they must have a bunch of payments !"

I'm not impressed , but I do wonder if they need to show all their things to help compensate for a poor self image ...

All I ask , is that someone have a home, a vehicle, and a regular source of income, and is able to run their own lives. And that both they, and their stuff , is reasonably well cared for. The rest is icing !
 Consigliori
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2011 9:51:41 AM
It mattered to me back when I was dating - as a secondary thing. Not because I was looking for a woman with money but because people with toys have visible interests. I like to see people pursuing their hobbies: riding a mountain bike, horses, kayaking, muscle cars, motorcycles, sailing, flying...whatever. And a picture of them with their pride and joy is a good indicator of their interests.
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:04:24 AM
@moonwalker:
That said, women always go for the rich guys. Those who say they don't care about money are just full of it.

My what sweeping statements you make.

I have learned and always believed that even though one may have money, doesn't make them a better person.

And then there are the people who don't have money and who aren't good people either.....
 Maleman999
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:04:52 AM
I think everybody has some gold digger in them in varying degrees. That's why you don't see homeless men saying: "The chicks are always after me. They can't keep their hands off of me. They think I'm hot." Money problems has always been listed as one of the main reasons people divorce.
 MikeWM
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:30:06 AM
I wouldnt date a woman who didnt own a kettle
 Capn_America
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/19/2011 11:29:06 AM

I wouldnt date a woman who didnt own a kettle

I wouldnt date a woman who doesnt own a shower

1-up
 lacalli
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/19/2011 12:23:26 PM

It mattered to me back when I was dating - as a secondary thing. Not because I was looking for a woman with money but because people with toys have visible interests. I like to see people pursuing their hobbies: riding a mountain bike, horses, kayaking, muscle cars, motorcycles, sailing, flying...whatever. And a picture of them with their pride and joy is a good indicator of their interests.

Having interests/hobbies which cost money as many interests do whether sports or other things is one thing. That's not a problem. And I don't think that's materialistic.
I think most people are talking about people who own crap because it's the latest thing and they have to have the latest or they just are compulsive shoppers. Stuff that you can't do anything with but just sits in the closet or garage.
That's not ok. And there are a lot of people like that. At least where I live where appearance is everything.
 Consigliori
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2011 12:37:27 PM

I think most people are talking about people who own crap because it's the latest thing and they have to have the latest or they just are compulsive shoppers.

I agree that one is not at all like the other - but the two are occasionally lumped together and some factions of the online dating population seem to feel that a display of wealth (for lack of a better word), regardless of purpose or context, is crass and intended as a means to motivate the opposite sex rather than a indicator of one’s passions.

At least where I live where appearance is everything.

I think that’s pandemic.

I wouldnt date a woman who doesnt own a shower

Or a little black dress.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/19/2011 1:10:27 PM
We all make judgment calls about everything that matters to us in life. We may call them 'life choices' or preferences or something else. But we form a conscious or subconscious opinion or decision about whatever we see, hear, smell, touch or taste. That is an integral part of being human.

In the dating context, those judgments say as much about us as they do about the objects or activities we see folks surrounding themselves with. Both are statements of values, choices, self-image, priorities, etc.

When faced with a profile and nothing else to go on, these glimpses into who the person is behind the written word and photo(s) can be very valuable. It doesn't necessarily mean we are impressed or jaded by the things they include, just that we get a peek into their world and what matters to them. If it coincides with what matters to us, we may be drawn or impressed. If it doesn't fit in with our lifestyle or interests, we'll probably just click 'Next'.
 7THstreet
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/19/2011 4:42:35 PM
I look at this way , what every we own and how much of that can and will be taking away from you at any given time ............Materialistic things are nothing in reality , they can be replaced or obtained again . A human life , love that person has can never be replaced ........................this we seem to forget . But yes most of society is quick to judge on what you own rather then who you are ............................
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Materialistic things? How are we judged?