Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > pen pals in prison..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Marie88
Msg: 26
pen pals in prison..Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I had a friend in prision. Quite funny really as they read the letters before passing them onto the prisioner, so id wind them up by adding, hello hope your enjoying the letter and see you at next visitation.

As for Death row, theres nothing wrong with writing to them, but if theyre child murderers etc then ignore them & let them rot.

A rapist I wouldnt go anywhere near. No way.

If there was someone who just did a crime I duno that I can understand or wouldnt bother me, then yes id write to them.
 hharbottle1960
Msg: 27
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 1:22:53 PM
Let me re-state some things I have in several other posts.

I have at one time corresponded with someone on death row and it affected me very negatively when I got a letter back stamped in big bold red letters - INMATE EXECUTED!

I am now in a wonderful relationship with a former inmate penpal. We have been lovers for 6 years now. We started corresponding when he was in prison for
stealing some money. He never asked for money or anything else. I simply adore his 9 year old daughter Chelsea as she does me. He has a great job, his own car and he takes care of all his bills and we both Co-raise Chelsea.

I honestly do not know what I would do without this wonderful man of mine.
Now, yes I know, I got lucky but it can and does happen. Not everyone who
goes to prison is a piece of trash or the dregs of the earth. When corresponding with
an inmate one must remain open to the possibility - either way good or bad.

Many have said it takes someone who is a nut case or someone with low self esteem or they must be desperate but this is not always the case when initiating contact with an inmate. I have several very near and dear friends who were former inmates, people I can honestly and am very proud to call "Friend" and they prove themselves time and again. Yes, maybe I got lucky and actually hooked up with people who where truly
remoseful for their crimes. I am even good friends with their families. We are planning for the first time this year a Picnic In The Park for all my former inmate friends and their families. Please don't be jealous and don't be a hater. This has all taken a lot of work and patience. No they are not all gay but neither do they care that my boyfriend of now 6 years and I are or that some of the others are either.

This is just my experience and I thank God daily for it. I only ask that all of you please keep an open mind. If you want to be a hater that's your business but for those of us out here who are lucky enough to have had a very positive experience, please accept it for what it is.
 LittleBigDave
Msg: 28
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 1:30:36 PM
Not everyone in prison is a rapist or a murderer. Not everyone in prison is a bad person. Personally I would choose based on the individual, not on their status as an inmate.
 malcolmeggs
Msg: 29
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 2:39:58 PM
I write several prisoners in Bangqwang jail in Thailand . A young guy got 99 years for smuggling on 3500 ecstasy tablets in three face cream jars . Impossible . The only thing keeping him going is the fact he is not totally forgotten .I write to the guy that was done for shooting a TV celebrity dead on her own doorstep in the UK .No way is he guilty . These miscarriages of justice could happen to anyone of us .

What started me writing to prisoners is when I was in Bangkok , there was a letter from a Scottish prisoner on a guest house notice board asking westerners to visit him .So I did and he was very intelligent and not at all sorry for himself and he knew he had done wrong . That was eight years ago and he is still inside and will be for the rest of his life ,for something he would have received 5 years for in the UK .

If anybody is interested in writing a prisoner here is a good place to get information .

http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/index.html
 LittleBigDave
Msg: 30
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 4:28:09 PM

I write to the guy that was done for shooting a TV celebrity dead on her own doorstep in the UK .No way is he guilty

Barry George? The guy who killed Jill Dando!?!? How do you know he isn't guilty?? The guy is definitely an odd ball. Not long before getting nicked for that he was caught stalking someone else (maybe Princess Di) with a bag containing rope, a balaclava, duct tape and loads of stuff like that... What makes you so certain he is not guilty (I am not saying he IS guilty by the way).
 AbstractAstra
Msg: 31
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 5:17:19 PM
I have many times considered writing to people in prison, because there are many people who don't deserve to be there. The problem is that you wouldn't know what kind of person you were really writing to. I've read a lot of accounts of people writing to prisoners, then later on find out they have been deceived. The other thing is that you are advised not to give away any personal details at all, and to use a pen name. I would find that very difficult, particularly if they were asking questions about family etc and I had to lie. So in the end I decided not to do it.
 AbstractAstra
Msg: 32
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 5:19:03 PM
"If there was someone who just did a crime I duno that I can understand or wouldnt bother me, then yes id write to them."

I can't remember how to do the quote thing. Anyway, the problem is that you generally don't find out what the prisoner did - it's only if they tell you that you'll know, and they might not be telling the truth.
 hharbottle1960
Msg: 33
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 5:57:19 PM
That's not true, almost every state in the union has a Department Of Corrections Website where you can check them out before hand that's what I do before I start corresponding with someone.
 garygee1
Msg: 34
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 6:22:53 PM
I am now in a wonderful relationship with a former inmate penpal. We have been lovers for 6 years now. We started corresponding when he was in prison for
stealing some money.

That's all nice if thats what you want and are happy with it, just one thing concerns me here with what you have posted above (post 27) and which is partly quoted, whilst having a quick look at your profile I note that your profile says that your looking for a man for long term, but you have posted that you have been lovers with your boy freind of 6 years.

I honestly do not know what I would do without this wonderful man of mine.
Now, yes I know, I got lucky but it can and does happen.

I cant understand why you would want to be looking for another long term relationship if that's the case.

I have wrote to people in prison in the past but only because I have known them as freinds before their stint behind bars.

malcolmeggs
Msg: 35
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 9:08:43 PM
hey Littlebigdave

The reason I don't think that he is guilty is because I have read about the case avidly .I don't mention the mans name because I don't think that it is correct to mention any prisoners name in a public forum . I suggest you look into his case in detail . The conviction was based on hearsay and the fact he had "A" photo of the deceased and a so called speck of her DNA was found in his flat which is even doubted by the investigating forensic police team .

Oddball yeah send him to jail .
Come on mate ,do you think that is reality .
In that case we live in a very insecure environment .
The man has a right to an appeal ,which has not been given to him for the simple reason that he does not even know why he is in jail . It is far easier for the powers at be to leave this man to rot than to admit they made a terrible mistake .
I write to the man but I have never received a reply . I don't even know if he has received my mail . That is not the point .
I believe the man is innocent . So I show my support and write him .

http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/barrygeorge/index.html

p.s For all those that think ,never write to a child murderer or a death row inmate .Remember the case of the Scot done for child murder and spent over twenty years on death row .
Two words .....Kenny Richey...(who is no longer a prisoner)

http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/case-kenny_richey.html

Judge not what you don't understand !!
Question everything .

p.p.s. Thank you Willow for starting this post .It is a subject I really care very deeply about

Meggs xx
 cheekycheerychick
Msg: 36
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/13/2008 8:16:25 AM

The reason I don't think that he is guilty is because I have read about the case avidly .I don't mention the mans name because I don't think that it is correct to mention any prisoners name in a public forum . I suggest you look into his case in detail . The conviction was based on hearsay and the fact he had "A" photo of the deceased and a so called speck of her DNA was found in his flat which is even doubted by the investigating forensic police team .

No Court case is started up on hearsay.......Have you got first hand knowledge of the case ie are you are Police Officer or lawyer involved in the case directly?
Probably not....Alot of evidence MUST be gathered in order to bring somebody to court in the first place....YES YES perhaps some have been convicted wrongly over the years but I would suggest not the latter. So much work goes into investigations in this country but you never read about that in the media...

anyway back to the subject:

No I wouldn't corrsepond with anyone in prison. What if it's a relative though?
Many years ago my then boyfriend got put on remand for a knife point robbery. he was innocent of that...HOWEVER he had taken the stolen cheque from the man who had committed the robbery.....Not innocent then really...........

Definition of BAD? surely you must have some sort of badness in you to even commit a fraud?????
 blue rinse now leaving
Msg: 37
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/17/2008 2:24:13 AM
Yuk do you mind if I just go and be sick how unearth could someone do something so nasty im sorry but no way could I wright to someone whos that nasty I think that people that have done something that bad should be hung rape and murder is the worst of worse.
 Whitey1974
Msg: 38
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/17/2008 2:52:36 AM
No Court case is started up on hearsay.......Have you got first hand knowledge of the case ie are you are Police Officer or lawyer involved in the case directly?
Probably not....Alot of evidence MUST be gathered in order to bring somebody to court in the first place....YES YES perhaps some have been convicted wrongly over the years but I would suggest not the latter. So much work goes into investigations in this country but you never read about that in the media.

I believe this man to be innocent, the killing was a professional execution but the government had to be seen to secure a conviction. Tony Blair was putting pressure on the police wanting results, so they used an eccentric man, with limited intelligence as a scapegoat IMO.
vvvvvvvv
Same goes for your solicitor, and what you are advised to say in interview during your police station consultation.
 Gucci Girl
Msg: 39
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/17/2008 4:16:54 AM
I do have a penpal in jail, altho she is a SHE, i used to go to school with her and she never raped or murdered anyone.

She is however still serving 30 in a US prison for fraud and money laundering.

No, i would never consider corresponding with a violent criminal.
 redhead39
Msg: 40
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/17/2008 7:13:11 AM
hiya willow,

I have been writing to a few american lifers now for a couple of years and i love it, I did write to one on death row but lost him to execution. I thoroughly enjoy this I would recommend it to anyone I know these people have done wrong but i also see he side that receiving personal letters can bring to them
 xchaosx
Msg: 41
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/19/2008 1:23:40 AM
I have been a pen pal to prisoners since I was 16. I do it in my spare time and truly enjoy it. I currently write about 5-10 guys regulary. They are all great guys and just want someone to talk with. I do however only write guys who come from a state where I can do an "inmate search" and check what they are in for, because I will not write to a rapist, woman beater, or child molester.
 Kneehigh66
Msg: 42
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/19/2008 1:44:18 AM
I used to write to a couple of guys on death row, I knew what they were both in for, one was pleading not guilty as it was a case of mistaken identity, the other I can't remember as I stopped writing him after a couple of letters as he was asking intimate things and also wanted me to send him stuff.. As this wasn't why I was writing I stopped the contact.. The 1st one we wrote back and forth for ages there was never going to be a relationship as such just purely friendship but he too started making demands probably after a yr thats when I stopped contact. I might add I was doing a counselling course at the time and this felt like the right thing to do, not sure I would again as they both wanted something I wasn't prepared to give, it wasnt friendship they wanted, they wanted material things.
So I'm kinda negative on this now
 november babee
Msg: 43
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/19/2008 2:50:28 AM
i wouldnt write to just random people but i have writen a couple letters to 2 people whom i knew as freinds before they went into jail..

one who was convicted of motoring offenses, and the other for handling stolen goods..(buying off shop lifters whilst unemployed, which i dont condone, but can kinda understand...)

im not sure i would continue to write if it was something really serious, ie violence, murder etc.....
 peachyperfect
Msg: 44
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/19/2008 3:03:12 AM
i dont think i would do this unless was a friend of mine who was in jail for something other than rape/murder etc

I will never understand what anyone would want to write to a rapist/child abuser etc. In fact i would go so far as to say it should not be allowed. They are in jail cos they are filth not because they spilt their cornflakes.

Each to their own..but its not for me.

Lou
xx
 hharbottle1960
Msg: 45
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/24/2008 4:37:01 PM
Because we are polyamorists and are looking for a 3rd.
 legs555
Msg: 46
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/24/2008 5:07:10 PM
hello this is the first time i have done this theres a lot of wenom that must b realy well for a beter word all most as sick as the man thay marry hope to chat some time kathy
 Taralaraa
Msg: 47
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/24/2008 5:21:09 PM

Do you know of anyone that actually does this..?

In my experience, people usually start writing to people in prison to be supportive.

And during an existence which is governed by so many restrictions, I think a personal letter can be such a positive influence knowing someone has/is thinking about another.
 socialjustice
Msg: 48
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/24/2008 5:27:33 PM
^^^^^ sorry all those no's are for grumpy - luv ya really ya grumpy ole sod

no, no, no, no.

the punishment is imprisonment, whilst this may not seem like a punishment to some, being taken away from your family, friends and social circles is the whole idea of prison. to remove you from society and help you to recognise your offending behavior.

prison is not ment to be a punishment whilst you are there, its about rehabilitation.

sorry about being off topic (well not all that sorry), but i knew a lot of lads inside that enjoyed writting numerous letters to various ladies on the outside. and if i was completely honest, it helped them do there time.

i would write to someone in prison if i found their letters interesting, almost like repyling to mail on here.

socialjustice
Msg: 49
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/24/2008 5:34:04 PM
very true, many of the people i met would never be rehabilitated, but is it the system that is failing them or the thousands of others that are trying to re-build their lives after a misdiscretion?

VVVV cant bloody post again grrrrrrrrrr
 Naamah
Msg: 50
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/25/2008 2:35:02 AM
All this admirable compassion being invested into writing letters to prisoners, helping them do time, so they don't feel so lonely and abandoned by humanity. I cannot help but wonder... if someone is so inclined to strike up a communication with a person not previously known to them to take away some of the loneliness in that person’s life, why not write to a person leading a lonely and sad existence in an old age home or a hospital/hospice who perhaps has no visitors and nothing to look forward to? Someone who didn't actually break the law to have ended up on their own personal deathrow. In my mind, these people would be better candidates for such compassionate reaching out from strangers. (If I may be so cynical as to suggest that perhaps it would have less of a dramatic feel to it though.)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > pen pals in prison..