Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > ACCEPTING THE SINGLE LIFE      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mr Italy
Msg: 51
ACCEPTING THE SINGLE LIFEPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Hey the single life has and currently is enjoyable for me........It would be nice to add someone to my life but if I never do.... I won't complain about it since my life is a very good.

I am the last one who can complain about life since I have minimal responibilities.... no alimony and child support to pay..... I don't have anyone to take care of that depend on my paycheck...... I can go on vaction where I want when I want to. I have good friends and family. And the list goes on

So the single life is not good ....... it's GREAT

Mr. I
 shinxy
Msg: 52
ACCEPTING THE SINGLE LIFE
Posted: 6/24/2007 9:44:27 PM
The single life would be so much better if the man of my dreams was not gloating over the single life and being able to do things whenever he wants and when he wants... and if he can do whatever he wants, when he wants...then that means he can come spend a weekend with me

...and taking care of someone doesn't always mean a paycheck......
 Paiute_Sun
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/25/2007 2:57:01 AM
Booking a weekend with Shinxy, as we speak!
 Neysha61
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2007 5:55:12 AM
I catch guff all the time for being on a singles / dating site when I thoroughly enjoy being and will continue to remain "single". I'm just window shopping if you will .....
 richard524
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/25/2007 8:10:57 AM
F or the most part,I've always been a happy person.And, other than a brief marriage I've been single for most of my life.I'd say I'm happy with "Me" and though I don't feel a urgent need for a relationship, if i met the right lady who knows.You never know when that lightning bolt could hit you.
 shinxy
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/25/2007 8:47:52 AM
lol.............Vince, you goofnut!
 jackie1954
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/25/2007 8:53:09 AM
I'm happy with "me" and don't have any complaint about being single. I would like for it to be different, but if that never happens... it won't make my life miserable.
 shinxy
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/25/2007 8:57:28 AM
I'd like things to be different...but I'm giving it time........
 JuJuBee
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/15/2007 9:49:21 PM
Well put, my friend. I'm a Libra/Scorpio cusper (God bless whomever is strong enough to take me on;) ) & I find that I like being single also. Maybe it won't always be so, but I enjoy it @ present. Friends are a great thing to treasure, you know.
 neco43068
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/16/2007 4:03:45 AM
There's plus and minuses to being single and being in relationship. I enjoy both! :D
 nikinikaia
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 2:09:56 PM

Sometimes I feel like I am crashing a private party...

I'm with you funnygirl - there are times when you post something to a thread and it feels like you're posting to yourself...I've started looking at threads in other states and other countries for this reason. So, welcome outsiders.

Back on topic though, (don't want to be kicked out for being off topic) accepting the single life is tough at times. But, I have found that if I get out and do things that I used to do I usually meet someone new or someone I haven't seen in a long time.

The trick is making yourself get out, on your own, and do things by yourself.
 funnygirl9380
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/16/2007 2:38:13 PM
I agree nikinikaia,

You have to get out there. You have the ability to meet some really great people along the way, like all my suspended friends...
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/16/2007 3:14:13 PM
Weighing in from the other side of the spectrum, a lot of us (like me) don't feel the need to meet more people. I have all the freinds I can handle and I can count them on one hand without the thumb.

I am an extreme introvert and having one person over at a time is right for me. Groups, crowds... not for me.

But not everybody is like me, so I understand the desire to be looking to meet people.

Plus after three wives, I am quite happy single. It freaks my dog out to have anybody over.
 gpb1953
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/16/2007 4:09:38 PM
Mandrake,

Well, I'm a 54 yr old single male and I'm also an Aquarian. While I certainly respect your need for independence ... I find not having someone special in my life a real challenge. Now I'm certain these feelings have been greatly influenced by my 30 yr marriage that ended a little more than 3 yrs ago. I also understand the need to accept the single life and the need to be comfortable with the choices and decisions I have made that led me to where I find myself today. And I think I do accept the life I am living today and I am comfortable with the decisions I’ve made. However, I have a real hard time believing that our Higher Power put us on this planet to live a solitary life. I honestly believe that successful relationships provide each person with more rewards than either could have ever received if they were on their own. I also derive a great deal of pleasure from having someone in my life that I can pamper, treat extra special and shower with my love.

I think truly successful relationships are the exception rather than the rule now-a-days. I think one reason this tends to be the case is good relationships take a great deal of work and dedication. But I think the rewards make all that effort worthwhile.

So I guess I am learning to accept that I am single and I am becoming more comfortable with the possibility that I may remain that way for the rest of my days. However, my preference continues to motivate me to meet as many new people as possible, make new friends and hope someday that I can meet that special someone that I could share my life with.

Gary
 funnygirl9380
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/16/2007 8:23:50 PM
Eddie,
Three ex-wives...???

You do know you can sleep with a woman without marrying them, don't you?
 nikinikaia
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 9:00:21 PM
ah, sheesh, funnygirl - where were you a few years back? you shoulda told me that and I would've stopped at number 2!!!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 9:29:59 PM
I am an extreme introvert and having one person over at a time is right for me. Groups, crowds... not for me.

So the de-grumping didn't go all that well?

Come to think of it if I have someone over more than twice a year that's pushing it, to only had the group thing once when my Ex-GF was living with me, her family, her idea.

I have gone to a few outings with dates, & I feel bad I cannot reciprocate though.

I think you will find a lot of people born from '63 to '76 that will never marry, we are a very confused bunch & perhaps very cautious.
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/14/2007 6:56:46 PM
So the de-grumping didn't go all that well?

Well, 9 signed up and 2 showed.

You tell me.....

2 I can tolerate. 9 would have stressed me out some. I would have endured, but that is out of my comfort zone. Particularly when 4 of the 9 I had not said 3 words to in my whole time on POF.....

(I wasn't THAT grumpy to begin with.... I was playing along....)

The single life is not bad at all unless you are a whiner and dwell on it. Face the facts, even if you DO hook up with someone, odds are against it lasting for very long.
 DebiSHB
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2007 7:54:17 PM
YAY Eddie's back and from the looks of his last comment I have to say the two that did show up may have worn off a little by now?? I'm truly sorry Eddie however i don't think me pukin on your lawn woulda made ya any less grumpy!! I'd sure have loved to have been there! NOW honey that's more than three words maybe you should come grumpify us?

Single is not so bad! I like being single. I'm happy with me, myself, and I. Who said 3's a crowd?!
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/14/2007 8:41:08 PM

Who said 3's a crowd?!

The same guy who said "Two's compny?"

3 isn't a crowd when it's me and two women!!! Although at this age I can't even handle one, so......

Too many people have bought into the societal brainwash that you can't be happy unless you have a spouse. I really hate that!! If "coupling" is so great, why do over half of all unions fail? Ask any guy who pays alimony how HE is enjoying the single life.

And truth be told, I was single WHILE I was married this last time. It was a terrible match and I was miserable from about 3 months into it until it ended.
 DebiSHB
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 5:33:24 AM
I absolutely understand exactly what it's like to be single and lonely while married!! That was it right there!! Ask any woman who pays palimony if she'll ever re-marry?! LOL
 MissElaineESJones
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/1/2009 10:23:31 AM
This is a great old thread to bring back, one that will always be up for discussion.

My son made a comment the other day that is food for thought. He said that there really is no such thing as soul mates. It just depends upon what you are willing to put up with. Sometimes one person is the gardener and the other person is the rose, and it's when one person is always the rose that the putting up with it takes place.

That got me to thinking that perhaps soul mates are people that you don't have as much to put up with. And if that is true, then the single life just entails one degree or another of having to put up with things just the same as being in a relationship. But in the single life, you yourself are both the gardener and the rose.

This is a good argument for treating yourself like you would want someone else to treat you, and that may go a long way in helping to accept the single life.
 e*Musing
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/10/2009 9:13:03 PM

He said that there really is no such thing as soul mates.

I disagree...however, I think soul mate is something that can't be considered until it stands the test of time.

I think some relationships are soul filled, but fall into the "For a Reason" or "For a Season" category...as seen by the way great love affairs burn bright then sputter and die. It takes a special relationship to last "For a Lifetime"...and even then, that doesn't guarantee you are soul mates...but it is the measure of a lifetime.

And not to be mean, but IMHO most everybody who has to claim to themselves "soul mate" compatibility with someone ...only to break up in months and do the same thing again after a period...well, it would be easier for them to admit they are "serial monogamists" and not tie those heartstrings to strongly to they future too early. Soul Mate status comes with time...in the meantime, enjoy the journey...there is a lot to be discovered.

MissElaineESJones
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/11/2009 3:58:54 PM
I think some relationships are soul filled, but fall into the "For a Reason" or "For a Season" category

I have recently read Eckhert Tolle's books and although I disagree with his depersonalization of God into a vague "source," I did find his explanation of "being" so valuable. I would not have gotten through a recent disappointment without having had these books, and I feel that I now have some very useful tools to continue on a much higher quality of life.

Tolle's explanation is much like J!dub's although Tolle calls it loving from the ego rather than our being. The ego is so problematic because it seeks its own, and often what we think of love is just our ego being satisfied (soul filled). True love comes from the inner being which is not the ego. Our being is not the pain body either which each of us has from our past history to one degree or another.

I have found that in my being (who I really am) I am a completely fulfilled and very happy person, no matter what my ego says or how much my pain body has suffered. I don't have to live in those.

I would recommend reading these books for an explanation of how the realm of the soul works and how to come into the present moment, not living in the past or looking toward the future.
 wildbill5891
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2009 1:07:51 PM
Could somebody define "single life" ?
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > ACCEPTING THE SINGLE LIFE