Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in the birth of Roc      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jstud9000
Msg: 51
Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in RockNRollPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
no contest frank zappa ever hear of that **** tipper gore
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 52
Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in RockNRoll
Posted: 6/1/2005 4:41:51 PM
I can't see why Zappa would make a list of top 100 all time influencers on RockNRoll,MAYBE top 1000.....MAYBE....NOT...maybe top 10,000
 bugsbg
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:21:15 PM
50's-elvis
60's-the beatles
70's-led zeppelin
 Al Paulchino
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/25/2005 10:48:23 PM
"The blues is the roots, everything else is the fruits"
...damned if I can remember who said that.....
 leafslady
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/26/2005 11:43:19 AM
Al...Totally agree with you on that..
That's why I'd say Huddy "Leadbelly" Leadbetter

Influence on so many from Muddy Waters To Pearl Jam.
 word_son
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/26/2005 11:50:07 AM
hmmmm

50's- elvis (no comp)
60's- beatles, guess who, the who
70's- (and this is where rock becomes ROCK) led zeppelin, pink floyd, acdc, deep purple, black sabbath
80's-(there was rock in the 80's?) tragically hip, U2, def leppard <----noone ever remembers these guys...., acdc<---still holdin it down
90's-(the new 70's) nirvana, metallica, oasis, green day

wow....i knew that would happen....sorry guys

most influencial artist though-John lennon.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/27/2005 1:08:43 AM
Huddie Leadbetter was a huge influence on Blues(Blind Lemon Jefferson too).However the thread is on RockNRoll.While it is 100% true that the mother of Rock is the Blues.They are not the same.The artist(s) that made that transition 1st for sure were Wynonie Harris,Louis Jordan and Big Joe Turner.There must be obvious credit given to Count Bassie,Duke,Trixie Smith,Lil Johnson,Boswell Sisters,Louis Prima, Slim Gilliard and Slam Stewart and of course Robert Johnson.

The point has already been made that RocknRoll was at LEAST hinted at in the 1920's(Trixie Smith-My daddy ROCKS me(with a steady roll)1922).Now arguably there was rocknroll in the 30's.However,there is no question that in the '40's RockNRoll was already out of diapers,and walking.Therefore neither Elvis nor the Beatles should even be mentioned since Elvis's earliest recordings were in the mid 50's.Elvis was NOT an innovator,he was a poor copy;the Vanilla Ice of Rock.
 bobbypantera
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2005 2:04:31 AM
yall are all wrong!!!

my vote goes to mr. robert johnson
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/27/2005 7:43:09 AM
Read the post above you:

While it is 100% true that the mother of Rock is the Blues.They are not the same.The artist(s) that made that transition 1st for sure were Wynonie Harris,Louis Jordan and Big Joe Turner.There must be obvious credit given to Count Bassie,Duke,Trixie Smith,Lil Johnson,Boswell Sisters,Louis Prima, Slim Gilliard and Slam Stewart and of course Robert Johnson.

Robert Johnson was a huge figure;legendary yet he learned from others as many have learned from him. Certainly no discussion of RocknRoll roots is complete without him.Perhaps its best said that he was perhaps the most influential OF rock not IN rock and Harris and Jordan and Turner made the transtion obvious and complete. I put it like this:"The point has already been made that RocknRoll was at LEAST hinted at in the 1920's(Trixie Smith-My daddy ROCKS me(with a steady roll)1922).Now arguably there was rocknroll in the 30's.However,there is no question that in the '40's RockNRoll was already out of diapers,and walking."Robert Johnson was a HUGE part of those hints in the early '20's maybe even late 19teens.

ROCKDAMIC
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/27/2005 11:28:09 AM
BB King, Eric Clapton and Metallica. These 3 artists had everything to do with the music we hear today!!
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:21:20 PM

BB King, Eric Clapton and Metallica. These 3 artists had everything to do with the music we hear today!!

Not! look deeper
 toonsmith
Msg: 62
view profile
History
 GuelphDude
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:53:06 PM
Chuck Berry invented it, Jimi Hendrix mastered it and Eric Johnson has taken it to a even bigger level. If you listen to those 3 musicians you will understand why they are the true masters of rock and roll. All of them are ingenius song writers and brilliant guitar players. For those who say Elvis, I disagree because what he did was basically pop music. He wrote some of his tunes but mainly had other people do it for him. He was a icon and a pop star, not a rock and roll musician. He was good for what he did but he didnt create rock and roll, not by a long shot.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/25/2005 7:04:46 PM
Very true about Elvis being WAY OVERRATED. However,RockNRoll goes back BEFORE Chuck Berry and Little Richard.....they both learned to "Rock" from a couple of legends who REALLY are the orchestrators/inventors of RockNRoll.
 lost John
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/25/2005 7:57:48 PM
I think you are diminishing Alan Freed's role in Rock 'n' Roll. As was said above, before him, rock n roll was was another term for having sex. The songs prior to Alan that mention "rockin'" were just songs about having sex. As far as I know, he is the one who changed rock n roll from being slang for sex to the name of a music genre.

After all, isn't that why the hall of fame is in Cleveland?

OH yeah. I really like Buddy Holly, so I think he should be influential too.
 ozman_60
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/25/2005 8:35:24 PM
Most influential Rock 'n' Roll? Neil Young, without a doubt. Absolutely, the greatest musician to walk the planet! And, he just keeps getting better with every new album. Nuff said. Howdy ya'll. Made a bit of dinner, some lump crab meat, shrimp, pasta and that stuff you put on top of it. Yeah, I know what it is, just to lazy to look for the correct spelling for the sauce and the noodles. LOL! Anyway, finally managed to climb on top of the pain and have something to eat. Gotz some strawberry cheese cake ice cream in the freezer and some Mazzy Star "Among My Swan" on the i-pod. All set to rock out. Ah hum, been so out of the loop with the pain gig, would love it if some kind folks would direct me to some awesome tunes I might want to own. My taste run from Neil Young to REM, Mazzy Starr, Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Cowboy Junkies, Stones, 10,000 Maniacs, Dylan, Eddie Brickell, early Elton John (stuff from the 70's) Fleetwood Mac, ditto, John Prine, October Project, Nirvinia, Pink Floyd, Staind, Smashing Pumpkins, The Who, Uriah Heep, Sabbath (Black that is) Moody Blues, doors, Beatles, Tracy Chapman, you get the picture. Hook me up good peoples. I'll hit Amazon to listen to the samples later. You kids rock. OZ
 DanQuixote
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:27 PM
the REAL influences... the guys who started the music that everyone copied and made into rock'n roll were: Louis Jourdan, Ike Turner, Hank Ballard, T-Bone Walker and Johnny Otis.

Everyone else is standing on their shoulders... whether they know it or not.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:00:16 PM

As was said above, before him, rock n roll was was another term for having sex. The songs prior to Alan that mention "rockin'" were just songs about having sex. As far as I know, he is the one who changed rock n roll from being slang for sex to the name of a music genre.

No,Freed simply popularized a term used by AfricanAmericans for decades by bringing it to the masses of white youth. Alan Freed is to the term what Elvis was to the music and what Vanilla Ice was to Rap/Hip-Hop. Influential? Not to the music itself nor to its musical development.Marketing ...YES!
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:23:22 PM
Hank Ballard cannot be considered a major influence on RockNRoll as Clyde McPhatter had a better voice and his style was more RockNRoll and he preceeded Ballard. Ike is always a good choice as a pioneer however, even though his Rocket 88 is considered by some to be the 1st RockNRoll song Wynnonie Harris's Good Rockin Tonight proceeded it by 4 or 5 years and actually should be considered the 1st. Good to show T-bone some love,but I wouldn't give him as much credit as others. Louis Jordan.....of the guys doing their thing in the 40's...he WAS undoubtedly1 of the main creators chief architects and prime progenitors of the genre.Just can't leave out Big Red Turner and Wynnonie Harris. There must be obvious credit given to Count Bassie,Duke,Trixie Smith,Lil Johnson,Boswell Sisters,Louis Prima, Slim Gilliard and Slam Stewart and of course Robert Johnson.
 Music Sweet Music
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/25/2005 10:09:43 PM
Its all about building on your influences and taking things to the next Level.
Elvis was inspired by the Blues and the Black Artists. The Beatles took what Elvis did to another level and added Harmony. Alice Cooper was influenced by(or at least a huge fan of) the Beatles. He added Theatrics to it all and took it even higher. His influence is seen all over the music industry of today.
 DanQuixote
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/25/2005 10:22:10 PM
MM: Interesting post...

Now, Ballard did "Work with me Annie" in 54... right?

I didn't hear Clyde until almost 1960...

did he make records before that?

"Saturday Night Fish Fry" by Louis was kinda rerecorded on BB's "Blues summit" with Robert Cray in a HOT version of the tune in the 90's.
 trvlingman
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/26/2005 8:42:26 AM
I dont know who it is.

but it was probably the guy to first choke to death on his own puke
 writer
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/27/2005 12:43:47 AM
All music was derived from the genius and talent of Louis Armstrong.
 Squat
Msg: 74
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/27/2005 5:20:17 AM
quote]I didn't hear Clyde until almost 1960...
Checkout "60 minute Man"(1950) CLASSIC RockNRoll-Clyde's work with the Dominoes was his 1st RECORDED excurssion into RockNRoll(1950)

Buddy Holly

By the time Holly jumped into RockNRoll(1957) the genre was 7-10yrs old at LEAST.
Bill Haley(who clearly preceeded Holly) openly admitted his major influence was Louis Jordan and he used/borrowed Jordan Rhthyms and started in Rock N Roll by covering an Ike Turner joint.
In Rap/Hip-Hop Cool Herc,Africa Bambatta,GrandMaster Flash,Mellie Mel and the Sugar Hill Gang were recording "rap"music in the mid 70's it cought FIRE in the late 70's/ 80's(SugarHillGang-Rapper's Delight '79).the Beastie Boys joined the fun in '84..........the Beastie Boys in many senses were the Bill Haley of RockNRoll music.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in the birth of RockNRoll