Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in the birth of Roc      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Glowman
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in RockNRollPage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
It wouldn't matter who invented it. I personally have no clue who did. But who would be the most influential artist, or artist's on rock music over the years?

Well it is hard to say. I see alot of Elvis hating. And that is fine. But you cannot take away his impact. It has no equal for it's time. No ****ing and moaning with change it.

You don't have to reach back to the the 20's to see it's influences. You can look at things that were going on during that time period. That would go on to influence rockers.

The 3 King's had a major influence on rock music. And calling it major is an understatement. There influence over white rock musicians is so vaste that most couldn't even begin to understand how big it was in the 60's and 70's alone.

T-Bone Walker largely set what would be the base of the electric blues guitar vocabulary that B.B. King would follow. And I think we know how that turned out.

There are so many others to that could be given credit. That were just recording after rock music was born. Guy's like Buddy Guy has a huge influence over the genre.

Tho I do feel that Robert Johnson gets far to much credit. He was not the legend he was made out to be untill the 60's. And he had been dead for over 20 years by then. He was more of a figurehead.
 Paulchino II
Msg: 127
Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in RockNRoll
Posted: 1/24/2006 3:19:19 PM

he made it cool to light ur guitar on fire and be different. thats what rock n roll is about, being different and saying **** u to authority.

Hendrix increased the "cool" factor of rock with his innovations on the guitar...the sounds he came up with. Rock music is about creating MUSIC that is/was different...not about destroying your instruments because Jimi made it a "cool" thing to do.

Jimi wasn't saying f*ck you to authority...and he wasn't trying to be "cool"...it was just a drug induced reaction that he felt was appropriate at the time...

If there's anything worse than being complacent...it's being a rebel when you have absolutely no idea about what or who you're rebeling against....

Just another misguided music fan who's too caught up in the IMAGE of music
 rory27
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:38:04 PM
Well put. ^^

To the previous poster: I also think Robert Johnson gets far too much credit, but I don't follow your statement that because he's been dead for a long time, that that alone diminishes his influence.
 jAyBoY72
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:59:08 AM
i would say Robert Johnson, Junior Parker,
Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins
& definately jimi Hendrix
 HarleyMiles
Msg: 130
Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in the birth of RockNRoll
Posted: 7/12/2007 10:35:54 PM
Robert Johnson ??
To John Hammond, champion of black music and talent scout par excellence, he was the greatest primitive blues singer of all time. "When I was selecting talent for my first Spirituals to Swing Concert, I sent for Robert Johnson. I wanted black music to make an impression on a white audience and we got the finest exponents of blues, jazz and gospel music that we could find. Can you imagine how famous Robert Johnson would be today had he been able to make it?"

And to the world at large, however unaware it might be, Robert Johnson is the most influential bluesman of all time and the person most responsible for the shape popular music has taken in the last six decades!

In southern black communities it was a well-known notion that one could go to the crossroads and sell one's soul to the devil. The concept dates back to African Folklore. The diety Esu was believed to be the guardian of the crossroads, and was an intermediate between gods and humans. When Christianity was brought to African Culture, these pagan gods were labeled as being similar to the devil. Hence, the concept that one could find the devil at a crossroad. In celtic tradition, the bodies of the unholy were buried outside of town near crossroads to preserve consecrated ground.

Witchcraft and the devil are prominent topics in early blues. Johnson's lyrics are no exception. With songs like "Hell-Hound On My Trail", "Me And The Devil Blues" and "Cross Road Blues", it is no wonder that he caused such wild speculation.

Bob Dylan
Msg: 131
Posted: 7/14/2007 7:00:37 PM
Robert Johnson
Little Richard
Chuck Berry
Bill Haley and the Comets (not that good but very influential)
Ray Charles
Howlin Wolf (a few other blues types)
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Prince

It's difficult to name a specific person because everyone is influenced by someone.
 ItsMeDoggie
Msg: 132
Posted: 7/14/2007 7:42:40 PM
it's got to go back to the old blues artist.....blues are the root of rock and roll.......
 muneca~brava
Msg: 133
Posted: 7/15/2007 6:10:27 PM
"F" Elvis, CARL PERKINS!!!
 musicmaker4u
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 6:27:40 PM
bill and his comets right... do not know why people hate Elvis one of the best singers ever.. no one has ever disputed his Voice and pitch (no one that knows music anyway) he had a huge inpact on the fab 4 (by their own words) and on many in rock so his impact is far reaching.. YEA JIMMY changed the way we look at the gutiar. the whole austin texas thing changed country and rock.. the ashbury thing also..you know by the way Elvis influanced Robert plant also. where is the bridge Im just trying to find the bridge.
 Raveninns
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:30:31 PM
just my humble opinion of course... I know very little of "back in the day" R&B artists. I guess I'm going to base my post on the word influential.

I believe the Beatles changed everything in terms of influencing Rock n' Roll.

And of course, Jimi. But Jimi did his time with Little Richard, so that genre should be mentioned too......Elvis, Bill Haley, et al.

Cheers, Raven
 patti_mk
Msg: 136
Posted: 7/18/2007 11:08:59 AM
THE BUDDY HOLLY..note the song "American Pie" one of the best classic songs ever,the day the music died, Was Buddy Holly, Richy Valens , and the Big Bopper. HE was a pioneeer and Its a damn shame, I always wonder where music would have went If he was still with us...so sad :(
 theclassicx
Msg: 137
Posted: 7/18/2007 2:42:43 PM
The answer was blues blues is the most influencial in rock like how the stones idolized howling wolf or pink floyd named there band after two famou blues musicians. Rock In Roll is a fruit from the roots of blues no if's and's or but's!!! Thanks to willie dixon , leadbelly, muddy waters, howlin wolf, robert johnson, blindlemon jefferson and much much more!
 Artz
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Name the artist you feel was the most influential in RockNRoll
Posted: 7/18/2007 3:48:45 PM
Of course a great influence on the early rockers was the Blues. Also Country and Texas Swing music of the 1940s.
Jerry lee Lewis might be one of the most under rated of the early artist. Elvis was sexy on stage , Lewis was a wild man there was a raw energy to Lewis. An energy that Elvis lacked.
Some other under rated artist are in no real order are Al Cooper and Mike Bloomfield they helped take Dylan electric.
Johnny Otis a great many of the top musicians of the sixties give him a lot of credit.
Buddy Holly, If he had lived I think Rock Music would be something else . he was way ahead of his time.
Rodger Mcguinn of the Byrds. They may have followed Dylan's lead but they soon showed him just how to make the country/folk/rock blend work.
Did anyone list Les Paul?
Just about everyone has said Hendricks. Another great that never seems to make the list is Carlos Santana.
What of Fats Domino?
Another master of the guitar and I feel very under rated is****Dale.
my list does not have any real order I simply think some of these people are over looked.
 patti_mk
Msg: 139
Posted: 7/18/2007 4:05:00 PM
I'm not gonna copy n paste that whole above post but totally agree , well said!
 timisin
Msg: 140
Posted: 7/19/2007 12:20:37 AM
well John Lennon once said" If you didn't call it rock and roll ,You could call it Chuck Berry.
 Choking Hazard
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/22/2007 10:06:56 PM
I'm not sure about birth, but what we currently think of as rock and roll was definitely shaped largely by Buddy Guy, and I don't think anybody mentioned him yet.

He did the Hendrix thing before (and after) Hendrix and was a major influence on many we now think of as blues-based hard rock. Clapton, Stones, Pink Floyd, blah, blah, blah...it's all blues-based rock, but Guy did the transition from blues to hard rock first.

Pop as influenced by Chuck Berry is a different thing.
 jannick06
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2007 11:03:57 PM
.........meatloaf took it to a new level with his beautiful voice
 Choking Hazard
Msg: 143
Posted: 7/23/2007 12:57:32 AM
And being served for dinner by Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show. With mismatched plates and silverware, no less.
 OnTheBus
Msg: 144
Posted: 7/26/2007 1:55:36 PM
People People....be honest here...we ALL know that rock and roll would NEVER be the same without.............

Air Supply
 muneca~brava
Msg: 145
Posted: 7/26/2007 8:44:47 PM
ROFLs @ the last 3 posts

post 141: i sat in buddy guys lap, drank shots of whiskey w/him and shot dice, lol-- a girl i knew at the time was writing a paper on the blues for a class she was taking @ UT and after the show we got backstage so she could interview him...memorable event, to say the least ;P
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2007 2:44:20 PM
Without a doubt.......there's only one answer for this...

THE ELECTRIC MAYHEM BAND from the Muppet show. How many other drummers do you know actually ATE their drums after a set?

patti_mk
Msg: 147
Posted: 7/29/2007 12:08:47 PM
LOL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a few of them REALLY LMFAO..meatloaf? hes good But i think he ate Air Supply ..lol ..
 soundchaser1962
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2007 2:04:44 PM
I don't think anybody could be called "most influential in the birth of rock and roll". But I'd like to throw Lonnie Donnegan into this rock and roll stew.
 jannick06
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2007 8:39:23 PM
okay okay AC/DC are the best band of alll time
 Schadenfreudian
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/30/2007 11:04:25 AM
The first human who drummed something on a hollow log in either 4/4 or 6/8 rhythm...heavy on the down beat.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in the birth of RockNRoll