Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on groomin      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RussetAutumnRose
Msg: 26
now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on grooming?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I don't think it's ever a good idea to meet someone while dirty, for the first or fiftieth date. If he were really interested, you could have just explained the situation to him, and made the date for another time.

First impressions are sometimes the deal breaker. No matter what your reasons for being dirty happened to be, that would have been a terrible first impression.

I've been in situations where I had to cancel first dates, and the man usually thought I was making excuses not to meet him. That's the thing with personals dating, internet or otherwise. People are too quick to write you off and just go to the next one on their list. (I've been guilty of that too) But you didn't say if you ever got to meet him or not.
Anyway, probably off topic.
 Avalon96
Msg: 27
view profile
History
now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on grooming?
Posted: 6/22/2007 3:10:51 PM

I haven't changed a bit, was always just a wash and comb the hair type of guy.

A few yrs ago I was dating a girl, the prim & proper type, always well dressed,
and meticulous about her appearance. One day after I finished a hot sweaty day at a dirty job, looking like a scarecrow in the fall, I had to make a stop at the supermarket on the way home. Not something I would normally do, but needed food and did not want to come out later. Who should I run into, Miss Prim & Proper, elegant as ever, and here was me looking and dressed my absolute worst.
We stopped and talked in the aisle of the supermarket, for what seemed like forever, and then went on our separate ways.
I figured this would be the end of our dating, but au contraire. She actually liked the rough & ready hardworking look, and made a point of telling me so during our next conversation. Go Figure.
 ksue44
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/22/2007 3:29:05 PM
OP - I look forward to the day when I can't shave my legs I dress and groom myself for ME! I've talked about shaving my hair off my head as the curls tend to get underneath my skin at times. There are so many cute hair dos, but most of those are for the lucky ones with straight hair.

I'm low maintenance. I wear very little make-up, if I do wear some, it's color around the eyes and the lips, and the look has to be natural. I do groom my eyebrows, after all, your eyebrows frame your face. I hit the bottle every 6 weeks (gray/white hair runs in my family), and a bit of moisturizer for my face. I don't smoke, I eat well (lots of fish, fruits, veggies, chicken and some beef), and I don't lay out in the sun. I'm lucky that I look younger (face wise) than my age, some of that I have my gene pool to thank for. Trust me, I don't have weekly appointments at the salon, it's not my cup of tea.
 moraima
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 6:14:04 PM
I didn't stay out of the sun when I was younger, and I am not going to stay out of it now.

The research on sun damage is don't by the spf, and makeup companies. Please even if it is true, give up the sun and how good it makes me feel - not going to happen. I use plenty of moisturizer, and I am happy with me. Living in the great white north, I need all the Vitamin D I can get. (This protects us from internal cancers.)
 thecommonloon
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/22/2007 9:07:58 PM
Ksue...I can't believe you say that about the cute hairstyles for only straight hair... I am thankful for my curls more and more all the time. I find it so easy to get my hair done. There are plenty of cute hairstyles for curly hair!! Enjoy the curls because as we get older, even we women begin to lose hair. When we are 85 we might be wishing for a few more curls to try to tame!!
I don't spend less time getting ready, but I do things differently. I fuss with my outfits and jewlery more now, and sp end less time on make-up. I like to be comfortable as well and usually dress down when I'm at home, but when I go to work I like to look good. AND if I'm going on a date I wouldn't even dream of going "dirty" as someone else talked about. I try my best to be attractive to the person I'm going to spend time with.
 SimplySweet45
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/23/2007 1:27:35 PM
I'm going to brush my teeth, floss, shower, put on some makeup, spray me with some obsession and walk on back to the "oral sex" thread
 mizbex
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/23/2007 3:03:35 PM
I don't spend as much time on my make up as I did when I was younger, simply because I wear less. I do get my hair professionally cut and colored every 6 weeks, I also get manicures and pedicures. About once a month I get a massage and facial, much less than when I was younger. I exercise daily, whether it be going to the gym or walking Gracie.

I work in a very professional environment, so clothes are important. However now, I only buy quality clothes that all go together nicely and therefore spend less time thinking about what to wear. The one thing I have done lately is gone back to wearing high heels pretty much all of the time, I do like nice shoes and how they make my legs look. Apparently so do men.
 skunk12pu
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2007 4:12:53 PM
Doggone it! I spend more time grooming than I like to admit. The shower
and pulling a comb or brush through your hair has slowed me down ,because
now the hair is coming out of every orafice and it's hard getting the Vo-5
on the little ear and nose hairs.
And then there's the hair on the back of my upper arms and the hair growing
from my waist up the middle of my back.
God knows I couldn't stand to see old guys with this on them when I was
growing up and dang it if my Maker didn't fix me up but good.
Just one question....Does anybody know the words for
"Werewolf Of London"?
Skunk
 dennisflora
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/24/2007 2:42:22 AM
Interesting thread for me here, I just turned 54 in may, and I just shaved off my beard and mustash, and cut off most of my hair. I think I look alot older, but some disagree.
I origionally thought that this change was going to make my life alot easier, but it seems to have backfired on me. Now I find myself constantly using one of those little trimmers for ears and nose, running the elect shaver over my face several times a day, and generally going crazy with all this stuff. Turns out that having all that hair was hiding all the detail, and maintainance was alot easier then. I also seemed to have aquired a wonderful bald spot on the top rear portion of my head suddenly ! Yikes !
 urbanlegend384
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/24/2007 7:34:39 AM
That's an interesting point. I'd say I devote just a little more time now, but the specific things I do are different.

When I was in 20's I didn't have to color my grey hair or use undereye moisturizer, so sure, there are some rituals which are age specific. However, in my 30's, I let myself go on the healthy diet and exercise aspect because I worked ridiculously long hours and had to chose to sacrifice something. Eating out of bags and not exercising became the default choice, until I realized my health had suffered as a result.

Now at 46, I devote a lot more time to careful meal-planning and prep, as well as exercise. I also devote a little more time to presenting myself as far as wardrobe and grooming myself, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the opinions of a husband or any other man. I do this for myself, so when I walk out the door, I can feel as self confident and attractive as I was at 23. If not, moreso.

If you question how worthwhile it is to impress no one but yourself, take my word for it, that self confidence is the best grooming, wardobe and maintenance ritual you can do. Plus, you'll live longer.

femme NY in NYC
 blondeinny
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/24/2007 4:23:44 PM
I spend more time on looking nice than I used to. Sorry, sad fact of life- As you age, you have to! Everyone has no makeup, old-clothes days, bunches the hair in a ponytail at the gym. But putting your best face forward is smart- never know who you'll run into. No need to spend hours or a fortune looking good- over-done looks worse.
Everyone's seen blue hair, glitter eyeshadow, spandex or speedos on over 40-s.
It's not pretty. Caring isn't high maintenance, time-consuming or expensive: Doris Day used Crisco to moisturize, Joan Crawford used Pond's cold cream and Marilyn used 10 lb hand weights, danced and walked.
 lfrs
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/24/2007 5:03:19 PM
Don't spend the TIME, that's for sure.....used to sleep under small orange juice cans allllll night long under a bonnet dryer.......
THOSE days are gone.......I either wash my hair in the shower, and let it go free, or go to my stylist and get him to wash and blow dry......

Am going to get a manicure/pedicure..........didn't used to do that......try to take care of my skin, but I still don't like to wear Makeup all the time.........wear it for work and such,but sometimes, just want to be my little ole natural self!!

Do try to take care of my looks, though........

JnnGemini
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2007 5:04:07 PM
I have always been fussy about my appearance and that has not changed because I am older. I take a long time to get ready for work so that I look groomed. I don't wear as much makeup as I used to but I still use some. I make sure my hair always looks nice and my clothes are updated. I think I will always be this way.
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/26/2007 5:34:47 AM

OP, I think what you mentioned was that when you were first divorced you suddenly wanted to "get it all together". I think this is more about just getting out of a marriage rather than how old you are.

That ego needs immediate gratification when someone breaks our heart and how many people suddenly lose weight, buy new clothes and look fantastic after their significant other splits?

As far as changes I've made in my own grooming habits, I no longer have my nails done... I dumped my overpriced hairdresser -- (sorry George!) and I spend more money on supplements than I do on makeup.

Thank you, Janet, I think you hit the nail on the head. It seems like everytime a relationship ENDS for me, I lose weight & do something different appearance wise. Kinda sad, I think if I had been in a good relationship, I wouldn't have gained weight or gotten lax w/ my appearance. Actually, in my last relationship, I did lose weight & I kept up the same grooming. The only thing different I did was wear my glasses rather than my contacts. (eyes are drier now)

I feel that my hygiene, clothing, makeup & hair are pretty nice now. In the past, I was way over the top w/ the fake nails, all that curling iron stuff & hairspray, & too much makeup, too much jewelry, hi-heels & too tight clothes. I feel like I want the opposite sex to focus more on me, the whole package, rather than my appearance. Oh yeah, I also threw out my padded "Anna Nicole" bras!
 RehabAddict
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/26/2007 10:38:44 AM
I've turned into a high maintenance man. I used to get ready in 5 minutes, wash the car, pickup my date. Easy. It used to confuse the crap out of me watching my sisters (4) run around for what seemed like hours to get ready.
 Chocolatebrowne
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/26/2007 4:53:43 PM
..more....for me, for my job, to make up for the times I had to just "do without..."
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/13/2007 11:03:22 AM
Hi
I take pride in the way I look. I run 6 miles daily. Excerise. I don't dress to impress but I like to look nice. I take care of my hair and body. I have more time my children are grown and now its my turn. I could careless what anyone else thinks. At this age everything is better to me. I feel brighter happier and enjoy life more. I haven't had surgeries but ya know I have had friends have it and if it makes them feel better I say go for it. Excerise makes me feel better. Raises my self esteem and helps me center myself. I like clothes I love the feel of levis and a blue jean shirt. I feel sexier now then I ever did when I was younger. My Daughter and Family like the way I dress and look. I like feeling and looking pretty for my age.
Each one of us makes our own mind up. And it doesn't matter to anyone else but us what we want and how we feel. Sherrie
 Loves Riding
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/13/2007 5:57:44 PM
I spend more time. When the kids were young, I rarely got my hair and nails done or bought anything new for myself. Now, I get my nails and hair done all the time. Since I moved to Florida, I don't dress up anymore but other than that I have time to take care of myself now.
 ~CountrySugar~
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/13/2007 7:13:33 PM
I just get other people to do it now, so it doesn't seem like so much. It's far easier just to go to the salon and have it all done and over with.

I think we tend to do that more now a days, when back in the day you did your own browns and laid out in the sun for hours tanning, wore rollers to bed, now it's far easier to jump in a tanning bed for a few minutes a day , get waxed , and there are sso many diff electrical appliances and so on for hair it's like wa la all done..
 ankkka
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/13/2007 7:45:41 PM
No way...I like my one hair on my head
to be neat...in right way...hahaha
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/29/2008 4:04:13 PM
I spend less time on primping yet I feel happier & more vibrant! I am more comfortable in my own skin & do NOT feel uncomfortable showing myself to the world, even w/ all my flaws, which include stretch marks & cellulite & a penchant for flashy clothes like my plaid hoody & silly tee shirts w/ silly slogans!

Life is too short, so I am going to enjoy it no matter what anyone else may have to say

Frankly, if someone is noticing the silly things about us, they must have dull boring lives, so my advice is to not heed those w/ a negative spin

PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/29/2008 4:39:22 PM
Same amount of time. Didn't wear hardly any make-up back then,...still don't. Don't roll or use curling iron on my hair (probably should since it's long and tangles easily )
 GreyNomad43
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/29/2008 4:46:53 PM
When i was younger i spent a lot of time combing my hair. These days out of bed, run my hand over th scon, tell myself ther's something still there. Whole procedure... 1.8 sec's.
 simplelady66
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/29/2008 6:42:37 PM
I guess I am considered middle aged at nearly 42....I was never big on spending a ton of time on my looks. I grew up on a farm, where fingernails were nonexistent, and dirt was the norm.

In my 20's I work nice outfits to work because I worked in an office setting, but still did my hair the way I do now at 42...out of my face in some way...no hair spray or moose. And I never did makeup for the every day...only when I went out, and then not much (some blush and maybe mascara).

As far as weight...I have put a few pounds on due to an injury, but yes I did take quite a bit off after the breakup. But I attribute that to the fact that I work a very physical job, whereas when I was married I was a sahm.

I have always been just me...take or leave it, it is who I am
 SueisWho
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/29/2008 6:50:26 PM
Rarely use hairspray now
No more dying my hair blonde and/or red
Use more moisturizers/lotions though

Love my flaws now...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on grooming?