Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Love on the 'net, at our age. . . .      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Love on the 'net, at our age. . . .Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Then there's my current fishie. from the first time I saw his pic next to a forum post. Didn't even read the post, I went straight to his profile to see who was behind that pic. *heart thud to find he's 3000 miles away :-( So love on the net at our age? You'd think I would have learned after 2 LDR at 3000 miles, 1 at 1400 miles, 3 at 300 miles to leave it alone. Nuh uh - just a quick note to say I liked his profile. A stunning reply came within a few hours and we were rolling from there. First meet - 3 days, 2nd - 6 days, 3rd - 9 days, basically more time than I would have spent with a local guy. Plus daily cam IM that wouldn't be possible without the net. Bottomline: the net has been very very good to me.

...and therein lies my problem. Everyone I have become remotely interested in lives anywhere from 500 to 2000 miles away. And as crazy as it sounds I have developed connections/crushes with pictures and words.
I can't deny that the net has been very good to me in that I have met some incredible people whom I am still friends with. But the dating aspect....I can't do that anymore....I need to stay in my own little swimming hole...it's just make life a whole lot easier.

...mae
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Love on the 'net, at our age. . . .
Posted: 2/11/2010 7:44:43 PM
Wooby
My fear comes from my last relationship. Met him on-line in early 71. He was *perfect* and I eventually fell in love. He is bipolar but also at the end of five years, surely BPD, as well.

I think there are a lot of "left-overs" and mentally unhealthy people in the on-line dating pool. Unlike internet dating advice to meet soon, I prefer to email and phone for awhile, to get to know about the man and his life, ideas etc. before meeting. Too often, someone with apparent appeal breaks apart a few emails down the road. The craziness evolves or drinking to excess becomes a suspicion, solidifying my belief that there are more than real life's share of undateable on here.

I cannot risk another BPD or mentally unstable man in my life. Currently, I am writing two attractive, intelligent men. One of them disappears for a couple weeks and then writes voraciously daily. I fear bipolar. Can't help it. Been there, lived it.
 Miss W
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:38:26 PM
I think there are a lot of "left-overs" and mentally unhealthy people in the on-line dating pool.

I think you are right...sigh. This and sloppy seconds and table scraps.
After having made lots of great friends on here, but have come to the conclusion that this place sucks for dating...

This morning, I attended a workshop for my job. I turned off my phone as a courtesy. Afterwards, when I turned it back on, I had received a voicemail from someone who had talked to me (from POF) awhile back...wanted to say "hi"...hoped that I remembered him...and was still "available".

After having given it some thought, I realized that it was one of 2 men who I had initially talked to with the same name 3 YEARS AGO!!! They both dropped from the face of the earth. I understand that given the online venue that people do go away, but...

WHY??? Did this man have the audacity to call 3 years later? Not to be mean...bitter...etc...but what the ? Is this a virtual "black book" and are these bozos expecting us to embrace them with open arms?

Just a thought...
 femaleandflirty
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/10/2011 2:00:44 AM
I always use a certain email just for the dating sites. It has very little info on it and not even my real name. I never put where I really live and even when meeting up the four guys I have met do not know where I live or my last name. The relationships have not progressed to where I can feel I can trust them at all. I have met only four I might add as I am extremely wary.
 TryAgan
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 2:37:20 AM
^^^
I would suggest also to disguise your photos. Trying out some unnatural expression or blurring them slightly. You just never know.
 Welsh474
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/10/2011 7:23:24 AM
^^^ That comment is hilarious.

The net is a great way to meet people, none of us seems to hang out in bars or clubs like we did in our 20's, we don't hang with the "gang" after work, most of our friends are married or coupled so no single frinds hanging around. I've met lots of great guys online dating. Use common sense - just like you would in the rest of your life.
 Fleuron
Msg: 107
Posted: 9/10/2011 4:22:23 PM
^^^ Really? I thought it was mean.
 kari135
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 4:33:46 PM

The net is a great way to meet people, none of us seems to hang out in bars or clubs like we did in our 20's, we don't hang with the "gang" after work, most of our friends are married or coupled so no single frinds hanging around. I've met lots of great guys online dating. Use common sense - just like you would in the rest of your life.

I have to agree, to a great extent. I've 'met' people all around the world on various sites, blogs, general forums, and newsgroups, Most of them I've known for as many years as I've been online, some are old friends I haven't seen for many years. I don't do the bar scene and haven't for nearly 20 years when I went with my husband - just hanging out, a lot longer than that.

Now there is no after work gang, no one to go hang out with. Be nice if there were just a few around where I now live to simply go have a cup of coffee with once in awhile. I do like my own company, but it would be nice to have some normal conversation where I didn''t have to carry both sides.
 ohenryx
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 8:35:49 PM
^^^ One of the better things about going back to work, after being retired for several years. I hate it when the alarm goes off, but I like having intelligent conversations.

But I do not date where I work, and it is hard finding single people in my age group. Which is why I like this site. It takes a bit of work, pruning out the bad apples, but it IS worth it.
 Natgoat
Msg: 110
Posted: 9/21/2011 8:26:01 PM
One of the biggest things I've discovered about internet 'searching', is that I Still
Fall~In~Love very easily.
It's just that Now...I do it anywhere from 10 to 100 times A Day..!!
And the biggest Disappointment has been ...
They're a l l Too far Away...!!
(At least that's what the few that have responded have said..!!)
~West coast...East coast...Montana...Georgia...Canada...
Hell...Just a half-hour ago, I fell in love with two women from Scotland!!!~
(...and yes...I Have looked in my own neighborhood...
and get the old... 'You're Too Old!" routine from locals...)
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 111
Posted: 9/21/2011 11:31:03 PM
If it weren't for meeting guys online, I probably would not have had any dates in years.

I've had some relationships that lasted awhile and did not work out. They weren't bad guys, but eventually, things didn't work out. It was fun while it lasted. I have met some losers, but really not that many.

I'm currently seeing someone I met from right here at POF and we are very happy. I have high hope that this is going to be the one that I can spend my life with for a good long while.

There are a lot of sites, and I think when you use common sense, you can meet people who are basically just looking for the same thing; love and companionship is what we all want at any age.
 Artistee
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2011 2:40:44 PM
Unless it's someone I know, or grew up with...no internet-based romance for me...
 Natgoat
Msg: 113
Posted: 10/25/2011 7:52:11 PM
Just keep pluggin' away....
Sooner or later...Someone will call me ~Darlin'~....!!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Love on the 'net, at our age. . . .