Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle aged weight loss spokesperson drop-out OR what happened to Kir      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ohiosweetheart
Msg: 26
Middle aged weight loss spokesperson drop-out OR what happened to Kirstie?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I know this is a fairly old thread, but....

Purple Ivy, I could not agree more - thank you for saying what I've come to accept the past few months. I'm a BBW, always have been, always will be. I'm learning to accept it and find that I'm learning, also, to like me, for me!
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 27
Middle aged weight loss spokesperson drop-out OR what happened to Kirstie?
Posted: 2/8/2008 3:28:02 AM
Ok I'm reviving this old thing! Valerie Bertinelli dropped 40 lbs (she looked great b4, she must be a twig by now!) but Kirstie seems to have dropped off the face of the earth!

Queen Latifah is promoting something now too, & I heard her say she is looking to be HEALTHY, not skinny- that I LIKED!

A good attitude, who wants their knees to creak- not me!

Mr. Fork & Knife- I'm putting you on notice!
 greeneyes191
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/8/2008 6:25:43 AM
Seems to me that Kirstie was also the spokesperson for another weight loss program a while back. She was fired for re-gaining weight. Unfortunately, Kirstie is one of us who constantly is battling the bulge. Our weight goes up and down like the elevator in a busy hotel.
Maybe instead of having POF get-togethers we should petition to get a group discount at the local gym!!!
 MacKevinized
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 1:45:19 PM
Funny how BBW is a term to call oneself and other BBWs but it really hasn't cought on with the non BBW's that learned to eat a helthy diet and get off their ass.
There are physical ailments that make it more difficult for some and even those can learn to eat right and get corrective medications to have the energy to work at being healthy.

Your're not going to get a healthy relationship by convincing someone your beautiful and calling women that have succeeded at it a twig. Just makes you look like you need to call someone else names to make yourself look better. Stand side by side with Ms. Bertenelli and see who gets the prize.

Otherwise you can replace the fat pics with the face pics to rebroadcast your availability again.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 1:53:38 PM
Now now Mister Mack!
I don't give a rats hinny what your body type is, at this age, we all have room for improvement. I can stand to lose 15 lbs to be in top form, and I am working on that with exercise and a proper diet. (is wine in there somewhere?)lmao
I have high blood pressure, probably because I get into arguements here in the fishbowl of life and am on meds for that. Once I decided to smarten up, guess what? Blood pressure is actually LOW now! lol
My point to you my dearest Mack, is ya don't have to insult others by tellin em to get up off their azz! My azz was doing its own thing too for a while and now I am paying the piper. Doing it for myself btw, an not anyone else. All you gals in here keep on keepin on for the benefit and the good of yourselves, both from a health and an emotional perspective!
P.S. - If I was twig skinny, fat, or any kinda body shape, ya wouldn't catch me standing beside Ms. Bertinelli! I simply dont have her looks dammit....*snif*
 breath~
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/8/2008 2:29:26 PM

Interesting.
I should try this:

...and get off their ass.

aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/8/2008 4:24:09 PM

Funny how BBW is a term to call oneself and other BBWs but it really hasn't cought on with the non BBW's that learned to eat a helthy diet and get off their ass.
There are physical ailments that make it more difficult for some and even those can learn to eat right and get corrective medications to have the energy to work at being healthy.

Your're not going to get a healthy relationship by convincing someone your beautiful and calling women that have succeeded at it a twig. Just makes you look like you need to call someone else names to make yourself look better.

holding up the mirror

Stand side by side with Ms. Bertenelli and see who gets the prize.
She is a lovely & accomplished woman, I'd be proud to stand next to her- & I wouldn't feel the need to compete w/ her or a prize

Otherwise you can replace the fat pics with the face pics to rebroadcast your availability again.
Just makes you look like you need to call someone else names to make yourself look better.
 countrygalatheart
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 5:11:01 PM
...but....but Mac ...how are we gonna jog on the treadmill and still type on our computers on these forums all at the same time?????? I'm pretty good at multi tasking (after all I am a woman...and it is kinda a woman thing)....but....geez we have to prioitize as well.....???????

All joking aside....2007 was a very stressful year...so I have decided that 2008 is for me...."BUFFY". So having said that...I am taking baby steps in trying to look after myself for ME. I've noticed the weight that I have gained is taking a toll on my knees and hips not to mention my clothes have shrunk! It's always easy to blame someone or something for our gaining weight...and yes genetics does play a role. In all honesty I have to say winter is bad for me to be motivated to do anything physical (see... that's another reason it is wonderful to have a partner....think of all the excercise we'd be getting....lol) Yes...sex is a form of excercise! But...sitting in front of a computer all day at work and then coming home and sitting and eating at a computer all night is not very good! I don't want to be "skinny" I just want to be happy when I look in the mirror not only at my face but also at my body(probably better with clothes on)! And when I go ride my horse...I can step up into the saddle and I don't need a mounting block/step stool. I think she will be happier too!
 WesternRose
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/8/2008 5:28:56 PM
I tend not to give much thought to celebrity endorsements or look to them for guidance.
yes, we can learn things from others in general... I mean... I know that you got to be an idiot to drink and drive... I don't need to see Paris Hilton or any of the other Hollywood Bimbettes.

I have found it interesting...the new marketing for that weight loss company..but hey... pple were getting bored of Kirstie.... and it was time for the Bon Jovi reunion and bring on tubby Valerie.
I saw an ad in the newspaper today for the marketing scheme of another firm...featuring Queen Latifah...about making a good choice to change and be healthy.

I see there has to be a predisposed disposition for all of us to be big... I am very big right now..but a lot of it has been as a result of lifestyle choices... and I am trying to undo some of the damage now. Delta Burke was on the telly a few days ago..and apparently a lot of her weight was attributed to the stress in her life and depression...it was a vicious cycle.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 6:19:19 PM
My brother has five daughters. Good, solid, Norwegian peasant stock. Pretty, healthy girls. During their teens and twenties, every single one of them had an eating disorder. I've always wondered how healthy is our attitude about body shape. And I just find the whole thing sad. . . .

Phoebe48
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:01:50 PM
Gosh, I just left the grey hair thread and now I'm here reading a weight thread....I don't have enough to do. LOL

Ok, the point of this thread is- do you think some people, that regardless of diet & exercise, are pre-destined to be plump after midlife, such as Kirtie Alley?

Well, genetics may have something to do with weight as we age.But, I don't think we're pre-destined to be plump. I think it has everything to do with what we put in our mouths. I know some people who exercise regularly, yet they can't lose an ounce. I attribute this to what they consume through eating. They exercise and then eat waaaaaay more than their body requires. I think it's more of an emotional thing, than a genetic thing. Some people overeat to compensate for something that is missing in their lives.
Both of my parents were overweight and I think it was mainly attributed to lifestyle. They cooked using oils, they fried food and over-indulged. They physically worked at jobs that required lifting heavy articles, lots of walking and hours of physical activity and yet remained stout. I chalk their plumpness to over-consumption and cooking methods.
I, on the other hand, watch what I eat and how much. I always have. I'm not a Spring chicken. I'll never be a size 7 again. But I'm hanging on to my size 10's because I'm more aware of how much food and the quality of food, that I put in my mouth. That's my botttom line.
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:41:40 PM

I skipped lunch today because I was too busy & ended up at McDonalds at 5 pm- I skipped the Big Mac- they are disgusting- & got the grilled chicken salad & balsamic vinegar dressing & a diet soda. I had an apple when I got home.

My parents were from the Ukraine & France, I have to work hard at not being a gazillion pounds.

It's okay, I love myself, even w/ my fat azz & every ounce of cellulite. After all, cellulite is just fat w/ a French accent!

Oui, Oui

Uncle_Enrico
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:48:33 PM
No. No one is destined to be plump in middle age. I proved to my family, friends and myself that I could turn it around--lose 60 pounds and keep it off.

You just have to really really really want it--and then develop your own personal, idiosyncratic science to change your own behavior.

For me the process turned on exchanging one obsession for another.

By the way, I loved Kirstie Alley's pseudo-reality show during her weight loss struggles. I also looked forward to the show she wanted to do but didn't--after the weight loss--trading the eating problem for promiscuity. Hilarious idea.

Remember...you can change...you just have to figure out a way to do it.

Start with a sensible diet like the Zone or South Beach Diet, but don't move to the final stage in the South Beach. Stay in first stage. Forget about the South Beach Diet's sweet potatoes and sour dough. They'll put the pounds back on.
 Uncle_Enrico
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:55:14 PM
By the way, some women look just fabulous with 30 to 40 extra pounds on them.
It's all about clothes, make up and whatever else is in their arsenal.

I was doing my daily walk in the park with all the other walkers and saw this attractive yet heavy woman with just the right clothes, colors, hairdo and high heels that made me realize how wonderful a woman her size could look.

So there you go.
 dawn1114
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 8:00:20 PM
Now I'm wondering what Kirstie Alley is up to. I've yet to see a photo or video of her in which I didn't think she looked great - when she was slender/curvy on Cheers, and when she was large/curvy on Fat Actress. Even in those bad paparazzi shots you could tell it was more angles and the outfit that was unflattering than the person.

I don't know enough about her to comment on whether it was actually a "struggle" for her to be slender when she was younger and is now fighting her natural body shape/size. But I hope she come to terms with it and returns to acting. She's hilarious and talented.
 claypot
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/9/2008 2:03:16 AM
Mac, it's really SAD, I have been reading your posts for, I think almost 2 yrs. What a sad man you are. Your so quick to pick out other peoples defects but yet have you turned it back on yourself? nope, NOT ONCE! I'll tell you what, I would much rather have my few pounds then to have your distasteful disguest for other fellow human beings.

That being said, most people are over weight, INCLUDING myself, because of their own doing. Knowone or knowthing can turn it around unless that person whats it bad enough. I have also found that the more people like MAC stick in our face the more it sends us(me) in the other direction.

I for one can handle stupid and worthless remarks from people like MAC, he's to me, is as worthless as his remarks, but others aren't as strong and it will cut to the core.

So my advice, do as you see for YOURSELF, knowone else. When it's time you'll know, if you feel your fine how you are, then so be it, ENJOY who you are and tell the rest of the world to go p*ss up a rope, MAC,

yah, this should get me the boot, but he had it coming...
 MacKevinized
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 4:34:13 AM

Mac, it's really SAD, I have been reading your posts for, I think almost 2 yrs. What a sad man you are.

Gee and I thought I'm happier than I've ever been.

You think after 2 years someone would notice I have disguest for fellow humans that have a penchant for name calling and pride in self delusion. Had this thread been about "how can we loose weight" I would have some good advise but calling someone that is thin a twig and defining themselves as BBW isn't going to make others think fat people are just as attractive as healthy people.

As for genetics, I was born with Hashimoto's disease and had trouble with weight my whole life. But I learned how to eat right and taught self defense courses to keep the weight off. People around me knew there was something amiss anyway because I was surviving on less than 1000 calories a day.

In my thinness, I attracted a wife that was into thinness and had to support her and her 2 kids so I took a jobs that paid more than teaching martial arts and stopped working out 10 hours a day. As the Hashimoto's destroyed my thyroid I gained over 100 lbs and slowly slipped into a coma.

So the wife dumped me cause I was fat and lazy and I spent the next 4 years hospital learning everything I could about the endocrine system and took the medicine that made me loose 100 lbs without any change in lifestyle except that I consumed MORE calories than before. For exercise I walked 1/2 mile to the library plopped my self into a chair to read. That 1/2 hour walk took well over an hour when I started and after about 2 years I got it down to a respectable 15 minutes.

Now I just love when I see 'non judgmental' people call me 'worthless' and complain about not being able to get a date.
I do find there are overweight people that are attractive but they don't describe themselves as BIG and Beautiful they are realistic and descrive themselves as overweight. They don't call thin people twigs and fat people pigs.

It's occurred to me that when you try to stand with your head buried in the sand, you have to talk out of your ass.
 ashley1861
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 4:56:43 AM
There is clearly a place for the saying Big and Beautiful and I think Kristi fits that description well. She has personality and a face that outshines the excessive curves, which some men really like.
I wouldn't have thought men would like the way I'm built and frankly some don't. But there are plenty who get caught up in the good aspects of my body and have the decency to avoid harping on the not so pretty parts.

That constant put down "you would be so pretty If..." just turns women off.
So few women would ever say to a man, "you would be so handsome If..."

I know plenty of men who need nose jobs, love handle lipo, booty boosts, etc...
Women accept men with faults.
Women accept other women with faults.
Curves embellished with sexy but not too tight or revealing clothing is beautiful.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 5:15:09 AM
Yes, I do think that there is a certain genetic disposition involved in one's weight; HOWEVER, what is truly sad is that people are still being conned into wasting billions of dollars each year on "diet plan schemes".

After the birth of my 2nd child, I tipped the scales at 209 !!!!! Won't bore you with the sad stories of dieting.....loosing and then regaining weight....they were numerous.

Quite by accident one day, I came across an article in a magazine on "Metabolism"....which made more sense than anything else I'd ever read....or heard. The only change I made in my diet was.....I cut out as much "fat calories" as possible. I began to walk during my break time at work. (I worked 3rd shift at the time). One would have thought that because my job was extremely physical that I certainly got enough "excercise" by working. WRONG. It was the wrong kind of excercise. In 2 years I literally walked off 85 lbs!.......NO DIETING! Dieting is the best way I know for someone to GAIN weight! If you want to LOSE weight.....EXCERCISE....and there is NO better excercise...than just plain ole walking! In addition to loosing weight, depression....GONE, sore muscles....GONE.....low energy levels.....GONE!

It IS possible to change your metabolism, and the only way to do that if you were not BORN with a high rate of metabolism is to EXCERCISE....NOT diet. Dieting LOWERS your metabolic rate! The 85 lbs I lost over 27 YEARS ago.....is still GONE....I eat anything I want....and as much as I want, but I avoid too much "fat" and I walk..or ride my bike. The distance is not important (that will increase as you become healthier) but you must maintain the increased heart rate for at LEAST 30 minutes. Do NOT run....it's bad on your knees and ankles and you can't keep it up for 30 mins (unless you've trained for it over a long period of time). Just get out there, walk as fast as you can for 30 minutes a day and the weight WILL start to come off! I guar-un-teeee!
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/9/2008 5:28:06 AM
I agree w/ what one of the posters above said about Kirstie always looking great no matter what she weighed...& my starting the thread had nothing to do w/ bashing anyone based on their weight...it's attitude that can be unattractive.

I think the way Queen Latifah spoke about wanting to be healthier was great- I think to say you want to be a certain size even if it means adapting to unhealthy habits because the current trend is to be a certain size/body type is sad.

Everyone has a right to their own opinions, but since this forum is part of a free dating site that has stringent guidelines for HOW to post in the forums, those of us who enjoy the forums must be careful.

We know who the players are

Back to topic- I thought Valerie look great before, she looks great after too, I don't know where the 40 lbs came off of, perhaps she hid it well in how she dressed?

And yes the tabloids got pics of Kirstie in casual clothes at bad angles & exaggerated her size, as they have done w/ Tyra, Janet Jackson, Oprah & Rosie & dozens of other famous females

I am trying to keep it healthy while accepting myself as is & avoid toxic people

I can always lose weight, but can a miserable person lose their persona?
 greeneyes191
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/9/2008 5:30:04 AM
I'm with you Gran - I used to walk 4 miles a day. I didn't exactly watch what I ate but I didn't eat junk either. I lost weight and toned up. Sometimes you dont lose weight at all but tone up that flab.
Exercise is the key. You will feel better, sleep better and look better.
 outofthedesert
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/9/2008 5:53:27 AM
Kirstie is in some print ads and tv ads with Valerie. She is keeping her weight off but will never be skinny.
 BelleArgent
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/9/2008 6:03:31 AM
I lost weight so I wouldn't die. There was nothing wrong with the way I looked. :)

P~
 Mystral13
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/9/2008 6:04:22 AM

Mac, it's really SAD, I have been reading your posts for, I think almost 2 yrs. What a sad man you are.

I couldn't agree more - I have been reading these forums for over 2 yrs... and I have not seen him look himself in the eye yet either. I am talking the inside, Mac, not the outside. I read your story re: thyroid disorder, etc.... so what? ....does that give you the right to be belligerent??? I have not had a working thyroid gland in almost 20 yrs.... and I have dealt with the side effects of the meds, having to switch types because of the side effects, .... the list goes on. Now I have a liver disorder that mimics Type 2 Diabetes.... caused by the combination of heredity and thyroid problems.... do you see me being belligerent in these forums to all and sundry because of it? You might want to start working on the inner person a bit, become a better person, deal with your baggage, and become beautiful from the inside out. For many here in this forum, to become more beautiful, they only need to lose some weight.

OT - I think we all have dealt with issues re: weight loss or gain in our lives.... I don't know one single female who doesn't have at least one personal body issue..... even those who are gorgeous models have something about their body they don't like. I think, as a society, we need to like who we are from the inside more... become less focused on the outside, and then we will have the desire to eat better, be healthier, exercise more, etc.... because we will value ourselves more.
JMHO
 Phoebe48
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 6:06:33 AM

I am trying to keep it healthy while accepting myself as is & avoid toxic people I can always lose weight, but can a miserable person lose their persona?

I'd rather be a couple of dress sizes bigger, positive & happy, than be in the presence of thin, judgemental, negative, unhappy people. So, I agree OP. We've got to be aware of the affect toxins can have on us. Not only in our bodies, but in our emotional well-being, as well.
Avoiding toxic people is a whole 'nuther "kettle of fish"
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle aged weight loss spokesperson drop-out OR what happened to Kirstie?