Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jetmech
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Back to the question:

Yes, its deal breaker!

I have no desire to be around anyone that reeks of the odor and has yellow teeth from the action and acts dumb as a post when doing it.

I had a relationship that ended when she couldn't quit. She was 38 and hid it very well.
For her it was a true addiction (she felt she couldn't function as well without it).

Even if it were legal and sold in the liqueur store I wouldn't be hanging around anyone that foolish enough to use it.
 Goldinheart
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???
Posted: 10/11/2007 12:31:23 AM
Hi all, I am only speaking of legalizing it for people that are terminally ill or can benefit from it's medicinal values. Prescribed by a physician.
 AweLecks
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2007 2:36:35 AM

If they don't like the law, well, that's the nice thing about being in democratic republic like America: you can get enough signatures on a proposal to get it submitted for a ballot vote to change the law. If you can't get enough signatures, then obviously there aren't enough people who want the law changed. End of story.

we're a representative democracy, not a direct democracy. As James Madison says in Federalist 10, the US is too large for a direct democracy.. and besides, decriminalization of marijuana began in the late 1970s. The drug cant be controlled if it were entirely legal. Its too easy to grow, its a weed. Also, incareration due to possesion of marijuanna doesnt fly too smoothly with a good portion of society. However decriminalization by making possesion a misdemeaner offense keeps money flowing back to the government instead of the dealers. you get pulled over for speeding, you pay a speeding ticket. You get caught with a little weed, you pay a possesion of controlled substance ticket. this way the drug can be taxed. Thanks to the billions of dollars spent on propaganda every year the majority of our society remain ignorant to the fact that weed isnt even punishable as a criminal offense (as long as you arent caught with more then an ounce at approximation - circumstantiel to state laws - then you could be charged with intent to distribute. now your misdameanor offense has just become a federal offense. dont even try stealing profits from the government )

get enough signatures on a proposal to get it submitted for a ballot vote to change the law. If you can't get enough signatures, then obviously there aren't enough people who want the law changed. End of story.

as far as that goes, I dont care if you got the entire populus to sign the ballot, as long as we have branches of government such as the electoral college, and house of representitives etc these laws will never be based on majority vote because the majority votes on a representative whom then makes the decision for the majority voters. this is how representative democracy differs from direct democracy (majority vote rules)
 Goldinheart
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2007 5:16:46 AM
AlexMaui, I am the webmaster for a huge legal site on MMJ law... you might want to check it out.

www.legaljoint.net.

You can email me at webmaster@legaljoint.net if you have questions.
 Nik420
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/18/2007 5:12:48 PM
First off, I don't see marijuana as a problem at all. Secondly, I sincerely believe others should not meddle in what each individual decides to consume or experience for themselves.

I feel the same about self-imposed-enforcers-of-the-speed-limit!

Also, the most comprehensive tome I have ever read on the subject can be found at triple-double-you jackherer dot see-oh-em.

Regards,

Paul
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/18/2007 9:44:55 PM
Nik, I dont care either what someone does in their personal lives nor wants to experiment with every drug under the sun, but when you have someone on the highway who is stoned or smoking pot, then it goes back to the same principle as someone diving drunk or under the influence.

i dont care what anyone does, but when it has a changing and negative impact on my life, then it becomes a problem, Alcohol is the number one most commonly abused drug, and its because its legal and already we have horror stories upon horror stories about drunk divers killing or ruining people's lives and on the road we already have to worry about those, add that in with Pot, and then you got a problem times 2.
 fingsuperwoman
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/18/2007 11:52:58 PM
Driving tired is as bad as driving drunk or stoned....

how you going to keep those sleepy folks off the road?
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/19/2007 9:54:55 AM
first off, this isnt about people who are dumb enough to make poor judgments on driving when they are tired, and even if they were tired, thank allah for stimulants and caffeine! I dont see what kind of argument you are trying to make baby, but its only enforcing mine because you have already acknowledge the dangers of the road without pot and then you will only double it or triple it with pot users.
 AweLecks
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2007 10:12:38 AM
Actually, studies show that drivers under the influence of marijuanna neglegable impairment. The greatest effect on the drivers ability was a slower lateral spped, often a few miles per hour slower then the speed limit for the road/highway etc, on whitch they drove. There are slight changes in a drivers behavior, the average reaction speed dropped 0.32 seconds due to the drivers placebo, never has it been proved the marijuana itself actually impairs the driver. However, when mixed with alcohol the impairment almost doubled - considering the same could be said about prescription drugs (i.e diazapham also known as valume)

I know Im not supposed to post links but I will cite my source information for you seattleartist:

http://mojo.calyx.net/~olsen/HEMP/IHA/iha01206.html
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/19/2007 10:18:02 AM
such reaction factors were bad enough to make a commercial about how dangerous it is to drive stoned. Its still a life or death situation.
 AweLecks
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2007 10:21:48 AM

such reaction factors were bad enough to make a commercial about how dangerous it is to drive stoned. Its still a life or death situation.

liberal media NEVER lies
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/19/2007 10:21:49 AM
Marijuana and Driving

Here's the raw data that serves as proof that there are serious effects of driving stoned and that it needs to be taken as a very serious issue.

* Marijuana limits learning, memory, perception, judgment, coordination, reaction time, concentration and complex motor skills, like those needed to drive a vehicle. These effects can last up to 24 hours after smoking marijuana. 1

* In addition to alcohol, drugs cause a serious highway safety problem. Drugs are estimated to be used by approximately 10-22% of drivers involved in crashes, often in combination with alcohol. 1

* In 2002, between 13 and 18 percent of young drivers aged 17 to 21 reported driving under the influence of an illicit drug during the past year. 2

* A roadside study of reckless drivers (not under the influence of alcohol) showed that one in three tested positive for marijuana and an additional 18 percent tested positive for marijuana and cocaine. 2

* A study of patients in a shock-trauma unit who had been in collisions revealed that 15 percent of those who had been driving a car or motorcycle had been smoking marijuana and another 17 percent had both THC (the psychoactive chemical causes the "high" and impairment) and alcohol in their blood. 2

* In an ongoing study of non-fatally injured drivers, 23.5% of those drivers under 21 tested positive for drugs other than alcohol. 1

* While alcohol is the predominant substance in fatal crashes, marijuana is the second most frequently found substance in crash-involved drivers, according to a NHTSA study. Alcohol and marijuana are also frequently found together, which results in a dramatic decrease in driving performance and spike in impairment levels. 2

* Marijuana, even in low to moderate doses, negatively affects driving performance, such as the ability to avoid collisions with evasive action. The effect of combining moderate doses of alcohol and moderate doses of marijuana resulted in a dramatic decrease in driving performance and increased the level of impairment from a .04 BAC (alcohol alone) to impairment comparable to up to 0.14 BAC (alcohol and marijuana combined). 2

References:

1. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Drug Impaired Driving. Retrieved on October 28, 2003, from the World Wide Web: http://nhtsa.dot.gov

2. Office of National Drug Control Policy. Marijuana and Kids: Steer Clear of Pot Fact Sheet. Retrieved on November 25, 2003, from the World Wide Web: http://www.mediacampaign.org/steerclear/factsheet.html#go17
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/19/2007 10:22:44 AM
Liberal media never lies? What does that have to do with anything?
 AweLecks
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2007 10:32:06 AM
such reaction factors were bad enough to make a commercial about how dangerous it is to drive stoned...

Yes, because television says its a life or death situation it must be true right? (i was being a litlle sarcastic on my response there, I personally, dont take propaganda commercials very seriously. I will give you credit for your facts, seems we both have sources of information that contradict each other. In any case Im not glorifying marijuanna anymore then Im underminding it. I just think if youre going to spend so much negative energy on marijuanna - remember the same could be said for pharmiceutical drugs. Methamphytamines were legal during the early 1900s, sometimes people like to use scapegoats with controversy like this. said people would be the same ones spending billions of dollars every year on these commercials you speak of
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/19/2007 11:00:04 AM
As far as widespread recreational use is concerned, it makes me nervous about pot. As for as medical research and medical use, I say yes, and I agree with you, man made drugs are just as deadly, even coca cola was used as a medical drug and it had cocaine in it!
 Nik420
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/19/2007 4:14:37 PM
Wow, seattleartist, it sounds like you really have all the answers!
Too bad most of what you've posted here is either erroneous or misleading.

The one important and truly factual thing you posted was: "dont care what anyone does, but when it has a changing and negative impact on my life, then it becomes a problem..."

I can't agree heartily enough. Now, while you are having this thought, remember 2 things; a, that the world has ALWAYS known addiction, ALWAYS! 2, that the world will ALWAYS know addiction and it will ALWAYS be part of mankind's existence no matter what you do or say or legislate!

Yes, alcohol is a dangerous intoxicant. But all you have to do is took a quick look back into recent history to see the prohibition DOES NOT WORK and creates FAR WORSE PROBLEMS than the substance itself.

Ipso facto!

Question for you, seattleartist, have you ever smoked pot?

And you write: "Here's the raw data that serves as proof that there are serious effects of driving stoned..."

Oh, that's a good one seattleartist, good, good, good! But you've opened yourself up there buddy, cuz I'm about to shoot it all down.

First of all, I hear of numerous incidents of alcohol abuse and DUI related accidents all the time. The same is not true of marijuana.

I do recall one TV commercial in which some family members were placing flowers on a roadside shrine. The text on the screen said something like, FACT: the driver tested positive for marijuana.

Funny thing, the commercial fails to tell me what else that person was under-the-influence-of in addition to the pot. Furthermore, you can "test positive" for pot up to 30 days AFTER you have smoked it. So that is NOT proof positive that pot caused that kid's death.

The same can be applied to this statement that you make: "marijuana is the second most frequently found substance in crash-involved drivers..."

You want more proof that the words are twisted to get people's opinion to lean negatively towards pot?

I remember these words EXACTLY from a TV commercial that ran a few weeks after 911. Previous to that commercial, there was a news story that the money from opium, from poppy plants was being used to finance terrorist operations. True enough, even the plot of the James Bond movie, the Living Daylights, revolved partly around this fact.

However, the words of text in the TV commercial read: "If you do DRUGS (all inclusive), you MAY (qualifier) be supporting terrorism!"

And this from the same people YOU quote, the Office of National Drug Control Policy.

Sure, my pot dealer, who grows his own in either Canada or Washington state is supporting terrorism! HA! More like your driving your SUV supports terrorism, is much, much closer to the truth!

In your above research, it appears that alcohol and other drugs like cocaine, were also usually involved.

Here's something for you to chew on while considering that smoking pot and driving is dangerous:

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v04/n157/a07.html?

In part it reads: "A recent UK driving simulator study has found that moderate amounts of cannabis improves driving performance. Participants who smoked 0.15mg of cannabis (described as "about half a joint") had better reaction times and concentration levels and drove faster with fewer crashes. However once the participants smoked 0.58mg of cannabis (described as "about two joints") their driving performance dropped compared to the straight drivers.

Several previous research studies have shown that stoned drivers are much safer than drunk drivers, however drivers who have taken both cannabis and alcohol are worst of all."

ASIDE from all that, I think the benefits of pot FAR, FAR and even FARTHER outweigh any dangers that it may pose to humankind. Need convincing? Read this:

http://www.norml.org.nz/category3.html

I got plenty more behind that if you need it!

So, what have we learned here today, if anything?

As a society, how about, instead of declaring something "dangerous" in your ignorance, how about finding out why and how much? And I mean, WITHOUT the erroneous symptoms reported by the media? Because we're not looking for symptoms, which news stories are full of, but the actual truth behind it. For example, that the persons who we're dangerous when stoned we're already dangerous to begin with!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
 Nik420
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/19/2007 4:17:27 PM
Oh, and by the way, seattleartist, it is NOT a life or death situation if somebody drives while stoned!

That is a gross exaggeration of the truth.

Have you ever smoked it?
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/19/2007 5:13:38 PM
No I havent and I dont plan too and until governmental facts come out saying its ok to smoke pot and drive stoned and not have a accident that is related to being under the influence of pot than I dont have to believe anything you say.

So your saying its ok to drive stoned?
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/19/2007 5:27:17 PM
and if you think my facts are crap, here is the most legit source of information by a govermental agency. Also, if you do pot in a moderate way, AGAIN I DONT CARE, SMOKE IT! The point is driving stoned, I mean, if you smoke half a joint like you said and drive then I agree, that shouldnt be a major problem, I mean its like you or I driving buzzed but not drunk or under the influence of beer or booze. But when you abuse the susbstance and get high on it and then operate a machine, then we have problems.

From the NIDA website: This is a .gov website, the most legit source of information I can find.

Marijuana is the most commonly abused illicit drug in the United States. A dry, shredded green/brown mix of flowers, stems, seeds, and leaves of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa, it usually is smoked as a cigarette (joint, nail), or in a pipe (bong). It also is smoked in blunts, which are cigars that have been emptied of tobacco and refilled with marijuana, often in combination with another drug. It might also be mixed in food or brewed as a tea. As a more concentrated, resinous form it is called hashish and, as a sticky black liquid, hash oil. Marijuana smoke has a pungent and distinctive, usually sweet-and-sour odor. There are countless street terms for marijuana including pot, herb, weed, grass, widow, ganja, and hash, as well as terms derived from trademarked varieties of cannabis, such as Bubble Gum, Northern Lights, Fruity Juice, Afghani #1, and a number of Skunk varieties.

The main active chemical in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). The membranes of certain nerve cells in the brain contain protein receptors that bind to THC. Once securely in place, THC kicks off a series of cellular reactions that ultimately lead to the high that users experience when they smoke marijuana.
Extent of Use

In 2004, 14.6 million Americans age 12 and older used marijuana at least once in the month prior to being surveyed. About 6,000 people a day in 2004 used marijuana for the first time—2.1 million Americans. Of these, 63.8 percent were under age 181. In the last half of 2003, marijuana was the third most commonly abused drug mentioned in drug-related hospital emergency department (ED) visits in the continental United States, at 12.6 percent, following cocaine (20 percent) and alcohol (48.7 percent)2.

Effects on the Brain

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to organs throughout the body, including the brain.

In the brain, THC connects to specific sites called cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement4.

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system5 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine6. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.
Effects on the Heart

One study has indicated that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana7. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana's effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.
Effects on the Lungs

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers8. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Even infrequent abuse can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways9. Smoking marijuana possibly increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers10.

Marijuana abuse also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens9,11. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke12. It also induces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells13. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.
Other Health Effects

Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight disease. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited14. In other studies, mice exposed to THC or related substances were more likely than unexposed mice to develop bacterial infections and tumors15,16.
Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. Depression17, anxiety17, and personality disturbances18 have been associated with chronic marijuana use. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills. Moreover, research has shown that marijuana’s adverse impact on memory and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off19,20,25.

Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared with their nonsmoking peers21,22,23,24. A study of 129 college students found that, among those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the 30 days prior to being surveyed, critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired, even after the students had not taken the drug for at least 24 hours20. These "heavy" marijuana abusers had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had abused marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time.

More recently, the same researchers showed that the ability of a group of long-term heavy marijuana abusers to recall words from a list remained impaired for a week after quitting, but returned to normal within 4 weeks25. Thus, some cognitive abilities may be restored in individuals who quit smoking marijuana, even after long-term heavy use.

Workers who smoke marijuana are more likely than their coworkers to have problems on the job. Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover. A study among postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana on a pre-employment urine drug test had 55 percent more industrial accidents, 85 percent more injuries, and a 75-percent increase in absenteeism compared with those who tested negative for marijuana use26. In another study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including cognitive abilities, career status, social life, and physical and mental health27.
Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy

Research has shown that some babies born to women who abused marijuana during their pregnancies display altered responses to visual stimuli28, increased tremulousness, and a high-pitched cry, which may indicate neurological problems in development29. During the preschool years, marijuana-exposed children have been observed to perform tasks involving sustained attention and memory more poorly than nonexposed children do30,31. In the school years, these children are more likely to exhibit deficits in problem-solving skills, memory, and the ability to remain attentive30.
Addictive Potential

Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction for some people; that is, they abuse the drug compulsively even though it interferes with family, school, work, and recreational activities. Drug craving and withdrawal symptoms can make it hard for long-term marijuana smokers to stop abusing the drug. People trying to quit report irritability, sleeplessness, and anxiety32. They also display increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately one week after the last use of the drug33.
Genetic Vulnerability

Scientists have found that whether an individual has positive or negative sensations after smoking marijuana can be influenced by heredity. A 1997 study demonstrated that identical male twins were more likely than nonidentical male twins to report similar responses to marijuana abuse, indicating a genetic basis for their response to the drug34. (Identical twins share all of their genes.)

It also was discovered that the twins' shared or family environment before age 18 had no detectable influence on their response to marijuana. Certain environmental factors, however, such as the availability of marijuana, expectations about how the drug would affect them, the influence of friends and social contacts, and other factors that differentiate experiences of identical twins were found to have an important effect.34
Treating Marijuana Problems
The latest treatment data indicate that, in 2002, marijuana was the primary drug of abuse in about 15 percent (289,532) of all admissions to treatment facilities in the United States. Marijuana admissions were primarily male (75 percent), White (55 percent), and young (40 percent were in the 15-–19 age range). Those in treatment for primary marijuana abuse had begun use at an early age; 56 percent had abused it by age 14 and 92 percent had abused it by 1835.

One study of adult marijuana abusers found comparable benefits from a 14-session cognitive-behavioral group treatment and a 2-session individual treatment that included motivational interviewing and advice on ways to reduce marijuana use. Participants were mostly men in their early thirties who had smoked marijuana daily for more than 10 years. By increasing patients' awareness of what triggers their marijuana abuse, both treatments sought to help patients devise avoidance strategies. Abuse, dependence symptoms, and psychosocial problems decreased for at least 1 year following both treatments; about 30 percent of the patients were abstinent during the last 3-month followup period36.

Another study suggests that giving patients vouchers that they can redeem for goods—such as movie passes, sporting equipment, or vocational training—may further improve outcomes37.

Although no medications are currently available for treating marijuana abuse, recent discoveries about the workings of the THC receptors have raised the possibility of eventually developing a medication that will block the intoxicating effects of THC. Such a medication might be used to prevent relapse to marijuana abuse by lessening or eliminating its appeal.

1 Results from the 2004 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings (Office of Applied Studies, NSDUH Series H–27, DHHS Publication No. SMA 05–4061). Rockville, MD, 2004. NSDUH is an annual survey conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Copies of the latest survey are available from the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information at 800-729-6686.

2 These data are from the annual Drug Abuse Warning Network, funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, DHHS. The survey provides information about emergency department visits that are induced by or related to the use of an illicit drug or the nonmedical use of a legal drug. The latest data are available at 800-729-6686 or online at www.samhsa.gov.

3 These data are from the 2005 Monitoring the Future Survey, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, and conducted annually by the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research. The survey has tracked 12th-graders’ illicit drug use and related attitudes since 1975; in 1991, 8th- and 10th-graders were added to the study. The latest data are online at www.drugabuse.gov.

4 Herkenham M, Lynn A, Little MD, Johnson MR, et al. Cannabinoid receptor localization in the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 87(5):1932–1936, 1990.

5 Rodriguez de Fonseca F, et al. Activation of cortocotropin-releasing factor in the limbic system during cannabinoid withdrawal. Science 276(5321):2050–2054, 1997.

6 Diana M, Melis M, Muntoni AL, et al. Mesolimbic dopaminergic decline after cannabinoid withdrawal. Proc Natl Acad Sci 95(17):10269–10273, 1998.

7 Mittleman MA, Lewis RA, Maclure M, et al. Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 103(23):2805–2809, 2001.

8 Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, et al. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596–601, 1993.

9 Tashkin DP. Pulmonary complications of smoked substance abuse. West J Med 152(5):525–530, 1990.

10 Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Spitz MR, et al. Marijuana use and increased risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 8(12):1071–1078, 1999.

11 Sridhar KS, Raub WA, Weatherby, NL Jr., et al. Possible role of marijuana smoking as a carcinogen in the development of lung cancer at a young age. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 26(3):285–288, 1994.

12 Hoffman D, Brunnemann KD, Gori GB, et al. On the carcinogenicity of marijuana smoke. In: VC Runeckles, ed, Recent Advances in Phytochemistry. New York. Plenum, 1975.

13 Cohen S. Adverse effects of marijuana: Selected issues. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 362:119–124, 1981.

14 Adams IB, Martin BR: Cannabis: pharmacology and toxicology in animals and humans. Addiction 91(11):1585–1614, 1996.

15 Friedman H, Newton C, Klein TW. Microbial infections, immunomodulation, and drugs of abuse. Clin Microbiol Rev 16(2):209–219, 2003.

16 Zhu LX, Sharma M, Stolina S, et al. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits antitumor immunity by a CB2 receptor-mediated, cytokine-dependent pathway. J Immunology 165(1):373–380, 2000.

17 Brook JS, Rosen Z, Brook DW. The effect of early marijuana use on later anxiety and depressive symptoms. NYS Psychologist 35–39, January 2001.

18 Brook JS, Cohen P, Brook DW. Longitudinal study of co-occurring psychiatric disorders and substance use. J Acad Child and Adolescent Psych 37(3):322–330, 1998.

19 Pope HG, Yurgelun-Todd D. The residual cognitive effects of heavy marijuana use in college students. JAMA 275(7):521–527, 1996.

20 Block RI, Ghoneim MM. Effects of chronic marijuana use on human cognition. Psychopharmacology 100(1–2):219–228, 1993.

21 Lynskey M, Hall W. The effects of adolescent cannabis use on educational attainment: A review. Addiction 95(11):1621–1630, 2000.

22 Kandel DB, Davies M. High school students who use crack and other drugs. Arch Gen Psychiatry 53(1):71–80, 1996.

23 Rob M, Reynolds I, Finlayson PF. Adolescent marijuana use: Risk factors and implications. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 24(1):45–56, 1990.

24 Brook JS, Balka EB, Whiteman M. The risks for late adolescence of early adolescent marijuana use. Am J Public Health 89(10):1549–1554, 1999.

25 Pope HG, Gruber AJ, Hudson JI, et al. Neuropsychological performance in long-term cannabis users. Arch Gen Psychiatry 58(10):909–915, 2001.

26 Zwerling C, Ryan J, Orav EJ. The efficacy of pre-employment drug screening for marijuana and cocaine in predicting employment outcome. JAMA 264(20):2639–2643, 1990.

27 Gruber AJ, Pope HG, Hudson JI, et al. Attributes of long-term heavy cannabis users: A case control study. Psychological Medicine 33(8):1415–1422, 2003.

28 Fried PA, Makin JE. Neonatal behavioural correlates of prenatal exposure to marihuana, cigarettes and alcohol in a low risk population. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 9(1):1–7, 1987.

29 Lester BM, Dreher M. Effects of marijuana use during pregnancy on newborn crying. Child Development 60(23/24):764–771, 1989.

30 Fried PA. The Ottawa prenatal prospective study (OPPS): Methodological issues and findings. It’s easy to throw the baby out with the bath water. Life Sciences 56(23–24):2159–2168, 1995.

31 Fried PA, Smith AM. A literature review of the consequences of prenatal marihuana exposure: An emerging theme of a deficiency in aspects of executive function. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 23(1):1–11, 2001.

32 Kouri EM, Pope HG, Lukas SE. Changes in aggressive behavior during withdrawal from long-term marijuana use. Psychopharmacology 143(3):302–308, 1999.

33 Haney M, Ward AS, Comer SD, et al. Abstinence symptoms following smoked marijuana in humans. Psychopharmacology 141(4):395–404, 1999.

34 Lyons MJ, Toomey R, Meyer JM, et al. How do genes influence marijuana use? The role of subjective effects. Addiction 92(4):409–417, 1997.

35 These data from the Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) 2003: Substance Abuse Treatment Admissions by Primary Substance of Abuse, According to Sex, Age Group, Race, and Ethnicity, funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, DHHS. The latest data are available at 800-729-6686 or online at www.samhsa.gov.

36 Stephens RS, Roffman RA, Curtin L. Comparison of extended versus brief treatments for marijuana use. J Consult Clin Psychol 68(5):898–908, 2000.

37 Budney AJ, Higgins ST, Radonovich KJ, et al. Adding voucher-based incentives to coping skills and motivational enhancement improves outcomes during treatment for marijuana dependence. J Consult Clin Psychol 68(6):1051–1061, 2000.
 Nik420
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/19/2007 7:46:57 PM
Stay ignorant. People will continue to get benefit from it with your or without you.

Btw, the key sentence that says everything you think you know about it is all a lie is: "here is the most legit source of information by a govermental agency...(mispelling left intact)"

As if they didn't have a vested interest in keeping it illegal.

Did you know that our government damn near authorized the creation of a viral fungus that would have been designed to destroy all marijuana and hemp plants on the planet?

Do you have any idea what that could've done if it muted and jumped species?

This is the same government from whose sources you have quoted here.

Just think about that for a minute!
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/19/2007 7:58:03 PM
fine man, you have your views and I never said pot was all bad, if your read my posts from earlier in the thread I am for it being legal, but I do think strict rules should be placed on it.
 chaswhatif
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 6:05:19 AM
Legal pot would end seretonin-uptake RX(zoloft,etc.
Willie Nelson does ok as a pothead!
 Goldinheart
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 3:08:10 AM
One big problem with legalizing marijuana for the terminally and serioulsy ill prescribed by a doctor is the dosage.

http://www.legaljoint.net/mmj/mmj_research/dosing.asp?p=mmj22
 AweLecks
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:29:44 AM
Its a shame it will never be legalized. Look at Canada, Its been de-criminalized entirly in some areas (such as Ontario). However Canadians also have free medical benefits. Our government makes a good fortune off of pharmeceuticals, but marijuana is much too easy to grow. If they could control it and tax it like they do with ciggeretts it would have been legalized long ago. Marijuana is too easy to grow, its a weed. You could grow it virtually without even trying, so if legalized - who would buy it at a store when they could grow it? Like I said before, keep the users paying misdemeanor tickets, and throw dealers in federal prison. That way its a win - win situation.take note: the government even makes money off of prisoners.
 NerdyJenn
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/22/2007 9:52:03 PM
How well do you think Willie Nelson can hold a conversation?
Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???