Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PNW_girl
Msg: 76
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???Page 4 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I would not mind if pot were legal.
I personally don't smoke but I have in the past...
If someone I was with wanted to smoke pot once in a while I would not mind but if it were an everyday thing that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Everything in moderation...
 nexthyme
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???
Posted: 12/27/2007 11:14:06 AM
Whow are you yelling at that is in the medical field????ME?

First off I do NOT think marijuana should be legalized for general use. A stoned person should NOT be behind the wheel of a car, and is just as dangerous as a drunk person, therefore any cop that has the common sense of the law would give this person a DWI... That influence or intoxicant doesn't have to be alcohol.

2nd, if you haven't yourself worked in the medical field and seen the major suffering that goes on with people that could and do benefit from the use of marijuana over a lot of other more dangerous and toxic drugs. Then YOU don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Personally my only interest is to see that Marijuana become a schedule II drug, just as Cocaine and Meth are. It does have good medical use, and there are many other ways to use it than smoking it.

Shug your wife could just as easily be addicted to pain meds, and not be able to get her day going unless she has her supply to get her through the day. Oxycotin is a perfect example of this. Do you think that is a good drug to drive on?

Do you think the fact that people have found the wonderful habit of snorting it, for a quicker fix is safer?

Do you know what oxycotin does to the human body on a long term basis, and how costly it is to get it off the streets?

We can go into alcohol if you would like, do you know the statistics of people killed from alcohol poisoning, or death do to the plethora of damage it causes the body when it is overly use? That isn't even covering the # of deaths from people driving home drunk.

My point is, anything misused, over used, not needed can and does cause many problems for a person.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind because your wife needs to be in drug rehab and be willing to kick an addiction. However not everyone that uses something for a benefit to feel better because of nonstop vomiting, anorexia caused by the chemo they are getting, or dying from aids become addicts.

As far as recreational use, there is 31% that end up in the ER less than meth 32%, heroin cocaine 48%, and legal prescription drugs. This by the way is from a DEA report.

In general MOST pot users do not become long time abusers, but that is NOT to say that there aren't people that do.

I worked in the medical field, I can tell you the majority of people that had issues that came through the ER were from the use and abuse of Alcohol.

I personally can't demonize a beneficial drug that if regulated properly like it has been in 13 states is not of great benefit for those who need it medicinally.
 Goldinheart
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2007 2:39:07 AM
You must be a republican.. small minded and critical... go George Bush.

Can you stop your criticism long enough to see how medical marijuana might help people that are suffering from terminal and lifelong illness? How it could help to make their life bearable.

Also, you are so uniformed I can't believe it..... you speak of how smoking pot can damage your lungs..... have you ever heard of vaporization?

Don't speak on the subject if you are uneducated.

Gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GO George Bush GO... F-him
 Goldinheart
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2007 2:41:21 AM
Everyone simmer down... everyone has an opinion and has a right to their opinion. Marijuana should be legalized for people that have health conditions that want to take alternative routes than the prescribed for natural drugs.. PERIOD!

The person that talked about all the side affects of marijuana... you just are unreal. Most prescribed drugs have severe side affects including death. Marijuana has no such side affect.

I have never heard of anyone overdosing on marijuana or having some severe side affect from it that would put their life endanger.

IT DOES NOT LEAD TO HARDER DRUGS...

My God People... GET REAL
 nexthyme
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2007 12:20:12 PM
Goldinheart, have you heard that England has been working on an inhaler that is like what is used for asthma?

Puts THC directly into the lungs, and the dosing of course can be regulated by the strength of THC as well as the DR'S direction on how many puffs etc.

This has been one of many running arguments as to why the FDA, DEA, and dr's don't like the use of marijuana; that clears up that argument. Admittedly I don't know how far along they are in research, but it certainly sounds pormising...

People don't overdose on marijuana because its neuro receptors are NOT in the part of the brain stem that regulates bp, heart rate, etc. Therefore the automatic nervous system does NOT become depressed like with ALCOHOL, and other pain meds...
 Nik420
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/13/2008 7:43:37 PM
You seem to have gotten yourself believing a load of horseshit. Well, it's not really your fault, you're just not really well researched on this subject. And if you truly believe all of that, then you have bought the lies and propaganda and buy into the status quo.

What? Propaganda about pot? And you might be asking: why would "they" lie about marijuana?

Why indeed!

For the answer, you will simply have to look deeper into the issue and look at ALL the information from both sides of the fence and cure your ignorance.

Or, you could just be a corporate stooge who has come in here in an attempt to confuse the issue and perpetuate the lies.

Your information is ill researched and not very convincing.

I'm afraid, dear sir, that you and those who believe as you do are quickly becoming the minority.

What it comes down to is very simple; those of you who dictate to others how they should live their lives should be shoved into a deep dark well where you can't dictate anything to anybody. And you are UN-CONSTITUTIONAL in your thinking when you dictate to others how they should live, what they should or shouldn't eat or drink or consume.

YOU are the plague on society, not marijuana.

Go back to your fundamentalist buddies and sing "cumbiya my lord" until Jesus brings us the pork chops!
 Nik420
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/13/2008 8:03:41 PM
PS: This was in response to meduloveu above.
 Nik420
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/25/2008 1:00:50 PM
Pop quiz:

Which of the following 4 items is the most lethal, in order of their lethal-ness:

1, marijuana
2, caffeine
3, aspirin
4, alcohol
 Mulva
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/25/2008 3:49:04 PM
I've only heard of people dying from alcohol poisoning
 Nik420
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/29/2008 2:35:24 PM
Yes, alcohol is pretty nasty stuff in too large doses; I once had alcohol poisoning myself and was sick for 4 days.

Here's a well researched chart:

http://jackherer.com/comparison.html
 supernanny
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2008 1:20:18 PM
I couldn't agree more! your 2 cents and mine are identical. WELL SAID!
 Gunny4013
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2008 9:31:07 AM
About the Marijuana argument… it has been proven time after time, it is less harmful in the overall picture than alcohol, both medically and socially. In the 20’s when they banned alcohol (Prohibition) the crime rate went through the roof, so they finally got smart and repealed Prohibition, and the country was non the worse for their action.
Today it is a matter of restriction of personal freedom and preference. In this day and age you will be arrested and jailed if your papers are not in order. To legalize Marijuana, Cocaine, and Heroin would be a step in the right direction. The cost of state supported abuse treatment would cost far less than what is now being spent on the “War on Drugs”… and if they were legalized, over 1,000,000 cops, prosecutors, and judges could get real jobs. The criminal justice system could concentrate on real crime. Right now over a trillion state and federal tax dollars a year go to fight “the war on drugs”…. Do the math…who suffers if it is legalized?
 Nik420
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/5/2008 8:26:02 AM
Right on Gunny!

By the way, for all of you who have spoken against marijuana, did you notice that Jack Herer has offered a challenge to you backed with hard currency?

That's right! If you can prove (and I suspect you would have to present concrete evidence that is admissible in a court of law) us wrong, then you could win yourselves $100,000.

If you are so sure that marijuana is such an evil thing as you believe, then get yourself an easy hundred grand.

It's easy, right?
 nexthyme
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 5:41:44 PM
LOL, you said it Gunny...

Gee, now what would all these prisons, DEA, and judges have to do if they didn't have a little pot user to stuff in the can?

Ohhh maybe they could look at the real criminals that pedal legal pharmaceuticals on the unsuspecting public that kill over a 100,000 people a year...

Nahhhh that wouldn't be as profitable apparently...
 ninjacat
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/10/2008 10:33:02 AM
drugs of any kind are a HUGE problem for me, I've dated a few addicts and have been through hell with that, and if someone is about to tell me "marijuana isn't addictive" i suggest you stop smoking it and tell me how you feel then.
 Nik420
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/11/2008 7:40:42 AM
We're not saying that marijuana doesn't have addictive qualities, no. But, which of these are equally or even more addictive than marijuana:

1. Cigarettes
2. Alcohol
3. Caffeine
4. Sugar
5. Certain foods
6. Computer/video games
7. The internet
8. TV

Just to make a finer point on this, people who are addicted to cigarettes have a MUCH MORE difficult time quiting smoking than those who stop smoking marijuana. This is also based on personality type, in that, sometimes "addiction" is oftentimes blamed on the substance rather than the truth, which is the person's addictive personality.

So let's talk in terms of truth here, not hyperbole.

Question for you ninjacat: are you overweight because you can't seem to stop eating?

Sure, the question may seem indelicate, but he who is without sin, cast the first stone!

You will be judged by the same measure that you judge others.

Although I noted in your profile that you are "non-religious", I think you can see the truth in those statements; you shouldn't condemn another person when you are guilty of the same thing.
 MachineShop
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/13/2008 7:36:07 AM
I don't consider marijuana to be a "drug" because it occurs naturally in nature, yes extracting the THC from the plant does give the person a high but there are a lot of things out there that are worse. It does have its medical benefits. I do not condone drug use and by drugs I mean something altered or created by man ie. meth, coke, painkillers etc. , yet I have dealt with chronic back pain for almost 10 years now and smoking did help the pain. It also helped with my anxiety. I have not used marijuana in 2 months but I see nothing wrong with moderate use. Of course with any mind altering substance it should be used in a safe environment and not over done. I personally think it should be legalized but the government, both city and state make so much money on putting users in jail they would never legalize it.

I myself personally don't care for a woman that smokes anything, so if she does anything of the sort I will not date her. It doesn't mean I think less of the person, it just means I don't want to be in a relationship with someone who has any sort of unhealthy vice.
 Nik420
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/14/2008 12:04:06 PM
From Jack Herer:

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - Bangor Daily News

While reading the Bangor Daily News’ Jan. 23 front page story "Smuggler given life sentence," I tried to think of all the people I have met who have used marijuana. I couldn’t; there are too many. So instead I found myself trying to understand the rationale for condemning a man to life in prison for selling a plant, but I couldn’t do that, either.

According to a 1998 report by the Maine Task Force on Drug Abuse, approximately 95,000 Maine adults routinely use marijuana. The report also estimated that 65 percent of adults ages 26 to 34 and 55 percent ages 35 to 50 report using marijuana at least once in their lifetime. By now the 26- to 34-year-olds are in the 35 to 50 age group, likely increasing the overall percentage of people in Maine who have used marijuana, assuming the rate of marijuana users has stayed constant over the last 10 years.

What do these statistics tell us, other than what we already know (people in Maine smoke pot)? Well, for starters, they tell us that there is a pretty good chance that you or someone in your household has used marijuana. I count myself in both categories. You?

For many Mainers, selling marijuana puts food on the table and pays heating bills when work is scarce. It fixes the car and pays for school and health care. Marijuana is Maine’s No. 1 cash crop for a reason — it provides small-scale, eco-,,friendly economic development at its most grass-roots, and most successful.

There are reasons marijuana is Maine’s (illegal) drug of choice, but if the user is a consenting adult and doesn’t drive, operate heavy machinery, or risk the health or welfare of others while intoxicated, is it any of our business?

During Michael Pelletier’s sentencing, U.S. District Judge John Woodcock said, "It is striking that you ran a sophisticated drug operation from your wheelchair. That makes the court wonder what you could have done if you turned to legitimate endeavors." Like perhaps selling beer, tobacco or pharmaceuticals? Even though alcohol, cigarettes and doctor’s prescriptions kill more people each year and count more addicts than marijuana, success in those fields yield six- and seven-figure salaries, tailored suits and expense accounts. Michael Pelletier gets life in prison. Where is the sense in this?

It is one thing to personally object to the use of marijuana; it is another thing altogether to imprison people for growing, using or even selling it. Hundreds of thousands of Mainers have used this plant, yet the fear of persecution and social stigmatization based on stereotypes and caricatures keeps us from speaking out. It is our collective silence that keeps Michael Pelletier and other nonviolent marijuana offenders in jail.

It is time to take the SWAT teams and threats of prison off the table and have an open, honest dialogue about marijuana in Maine. Through this process, I am confident that we will discover our compassion, realize our humanity and, in the end, assert our common sense. Then we can set about the work of reforming Maine’s laws to reflect marijuana’s contribution to our economy and its legitimate role in our culture. It is time to end marijuana prohibition in Maine.

Bob St. Peter is an advisory board member for Maine Marijuana Policy Initiative. He lives in Harborside.
http://bangornews.com
 Nik420
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/16/2008 11:59:02 AM
ACLU, Rick Steves launch marijuana campaign
By Nancy Bartley
Seattle Times staff reporter

Related Archive | Racial gap in pot prosecutions, report finds
Archive | ACLU, some patients at odds over WA medical marijuana measure
Archive | Ruling: No punishment for doctors endorsing pot

Travel writer Rick Steves and the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington
have formed a partnership to tackle a topic they call the equivalent of
the prohibition of alcohol in the 1920s: the criminalization of
marijuana.

Steves, the Edmonds-based travel guru who five years ago openly
acknowledged that he uses marijuana while visiting Europe, says he's
not "pro-marijuana," but in favor of discussing the laws that affect
the 830,000 Americans who are arrested annually under existing
marijuana laws. About 90 percent of the arrests are for possession.

Saying the laws disproportionately affect minorities and can impose
severe consequences for possessing as little as 40 grams (roughly the
equivalent of two packs of cigarettes), the state ACLU received funding
from the national organization to create an informational program it
hopes will air on television stations and the Internet. Steves appears
in the program.

Washington was considered a good place to launch a campaign to
discuss marijuana laws because it's viewed as being on the cutting edge
of drug legislation, the ACLU's Alison Chinn Holcomb said. A law
allowing medical-marijuana use was approved by state voters in 1998,
and in 2003 Seattle voters approved Initiative 75, which made the adult
use of marijuana a low priority for law enforcement.

Washington's medical-marijuana law and similar ones in 11 other
states are not recognized by the federal government. A U.S. Supreme
Court ruling said states cannot enact laws that supersede federal
criminal laws — in this case the Controlled Substances Act. So despite
voter approval, even getting medical marijuana is legally risky, ACLU
members say.

Some $7.5 billion is spent annually for marijuana-law enforcement
nationally, according to the ACLU's research. The organization contends
that the arrests clog the courts and criminal-justice system, diverting
resources from more serious crimes.

"Marijuana use should be treated primarily as a health issue, not a
criminal one. In Europe I've seen how more thoughtful approaches to
social issues can really work. Our government's war on drugs sounds
very tough and results-driven, but all it really succeeds at is being
enormously expensive, tearing families apart and treating
nonconformists as criminals," Steves said. He said as a society we've
made the same mistake as was made when lawmakers banned alcohol during
Prohibition.

In Washington, possession of up to 40 grams of marijuana carries a
minimum penalty of one day in jail, a $250 fine for the first offense
and sentences that can go up to 90 days in jail plus a $1,000 fine. For
possessing more, the sentence can be up to five years in jail and a
$10,000 fine.

Growing one marijuana plant for personal use is a potential felony
subject to the same penalties as possession of more than 40 grams, the
ACLU reports.

Nationwide, while 74 percent of marijuana users are white and 14
percent of the users are African-American, blacks account for 30
percent of the marijuana arrests, the ACLU reported.

In 2006, an African American was 12 times as likely as a white
person to be cited for marijuana possession by the Seattle Police
Department, according to the ACLU.

But Seattle City Attorney Tom Carr called the claim unfair and statistically insignificant.

"What they're doing is sensationalizing a number that has no statistical validity because the numbers are so small," he said. The issue of marijuana laws is one for state legislators, he said. "We enforce whatever laws are on the books."

Throughout most of the country, the popularity of decriminalizing
marijuana use has waned, said Tom Riley, spokesman for the Office of
National Drug Control Policy. The potency of the drug has tripled in
the last 10 years and its use is not "a harmless pastime," he said,
"but a much bigger part of substance abuse and a much bigger part of
mental-health issues."
 Goldinheart
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 6:07:26 AM
Hi, I think that it would be a deal breaker in a relationship if the partner smoked pot 24/7, had no job and aren't smoking it because they had a medical reason.

YES!!! This is disturbing.
we are much more concerned with the people who are in once a week looking for their oxycontin....or the ones that just shot up with heroin or smoked meth 30 minutes before they come in.

Most doctor's (and alot of medical professionals) think that legalization is the answer.
You are right about this. One of the problems is dosage and how can they control that.

Another is all the old beliefs on how pot is addictive and leads to stronger and more dangerous drugs.

The 60's and 70's

So many things...

People are so uneducated about marijuana.

check out legaljoint.net. I am the webmaster for that site. There is alot of good info. I have worked with NORML and WA. State ACLU.

:)

Loved your post.

Tami
 Passionate_Gent
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:51:35 PM
This would be a definite deal breaker for me, as there are numerous legal intoxicants with which one can partake in for a good time. I could site a few laws I don’t agree with, but until the law is changed regarding the illegal use of this drug I’ll happily refuse this and every illegal substance to keep my liberty.
Especially under the presentiment of seeing some family members and friends pay the high cost and stigma of living with a felony on their record. Maybe the question should be asked, are there implications in breaking the law that are precarious to forming a beneficial relationship? I realize correlation is not always causation for greater crimes, but common sense might warrant a degree of prudence when selecting a girlfriend/boyfriend.
 Nik420
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/6/2008 11:10:50 AM
So, passionate_gent, are you saying that we should all be in fear of "paying the high cost and stigma of living with a felony on their record", even when that law is clearly wrong??

Does this also mean that you PREFER that it be illegal?

Well, do you?

Or do you plan to do nothing, because you don't really care. Because you can only be in one of 3 positions; 1, legalize it. 2, keep it illegal or 3, indifferent.

What is your stand?

Yes, "there are numerous legal intoxicants". But when we decide which intoxicant we prefer, should we decide based on whether it is illegal or not, or by how harmful it is to ingest? And what sense is there in making the more toxic intoxicants legal, and the benign ones illegal?

In comparison, I'd say that "paying the high cost and stigma of living with a felony record" is the worst harm that marijuana can do to anybody, ever, because NOBODY has ever died directly from an overdose from this plant. And NOBODY would ever have to fear the suffering "paying the high cost and stigma of living with a felony on their record", if it was no longer illegal.

Yours is a very weak argument.

It's too bad you have this prejudice; do you also decide your friendships based on this too?
 vaxplant
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/6/2008 2:07:48 PM
If it's a behavior that's going to affect my livelihood, personal liberty, or have my personal property siezed - it's a dealbreaker.

The fact there's a debate on wether it should or should not be illegal is irrellevant. The fact it is currently illegal and has some severe consequences attached to it - is.
 Nik420
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/6/2008 2:21:49 PM
Vaxplant, the debate on wether it should or should not be illegal is not irrelevant.

Why do you choose to marginalize the majority of people who choose to support marijuana?

Are they irrelevant?

I'm hoping you can find enough humanity in yourself to be able to consider the feelings and desires of those who strongly disagree with you on this point.

The law is not always right, and you know that. Unless you agree with ALL no laws, and follow every law without question and in complete obedience to it.

Is the law for man, or man for the law?
 Nik420
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/6/2008 3:13:18 PM
Let's continue talking about the law.

I have posted 2 video segments that have stories talk discuss certain laws. My question to you is, do you think the laws presented should be followed?

You'll have to cut&paste. To go directly to the portion I describe, advance the video to 6

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7727605975161358366&q=the+corporation+part+10&total=362&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Advance this one to 7

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2111696677487081218&q=the+corporation+part+12&total=288&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???