Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Angels for maddy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 26
Angels for maddyPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

i don't have, and never would have anything like this on my profile, even though i lost my father, who was only 46 to lung cancer, my ex partner to mesothelioma, and my nan to breast cancer...instead i put my money where my mouth is and have a monthly standing order paid to cancer research...at no time have i ever felt the desire or need to publicise my support so that 'everyone else' will realise how caring i am.

that is your choice...

to my mind, the majority of people who place these things on their profiles don't do it out of a desire to show support to the charity, but do it out of a desire to show people how 'nice' they are...

bvllshit.
sorry but try accepting no 2 people are the same and stop judging people on account of something you dont like.
 kisseylips
Msg: 27
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:14:53 AM
Msg 27.....I have to disagree with you there. I have no need to 'broadcast the fact that im nice' as you put it. I seen one of the Pink Ribbons on a profile and just thought it was a nice gesture. Is it harming you or anyone else in any way?

I ALSO put my money where my mouth is and support various cancer charities, do sponsored walks etc. Please dont judge people that you have never met. I do things for my own reasons as most people who actually KNOW me will know.
 ~storm~300x
Msg: 28
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:17:18 AM
I have two sons in the Army and one was serving in Basra before being send home a few weeks ago through injury... I put the support the troops cross on my profile... because I do, and anyone who wants a relationship with me can see that this plays a big part in my life....

It is a personal choice if you want to share part of your life on your own personal profile... It does not harm others... and like a pp said.. if you dont like what you read.. move on!.....

willow
Msg: 29
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:23:02 AM
Yellow Ribbons, Angels for Maddie..its no one business why or for what reason someone chooses to place these things on their profile.

Why do men/women have pics of their favvy football team/player/tatoo etc..Its just a show of support/admiration for something, or someone..
 ~Leannie~
Msg: 30
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:23:21 AM
i used the word MAJORITY for a reason!!!

since when did having an opinion become judgement???

i didn't say that i would never speak to anyone who has one of these on their profiles did i? i never said that i would treat them any differently did i??

it's an opinion that i hold, but it's not set in stone, hence the word M-A-J-O-R-I-T-Y!!!!

i am fully aware that some people will have genuine reasons and feel compelled to publicise that fact, but i still think that the MAJORITY (yes!!! there's that word again...read and digest!!!) use them as attention grabbers!

my opinion, end of.
 Perikaryon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 8:54:55 AM
M27:

anyone who is genuinely nice doesn't feel the need to broadcast the fact.

Neither are they tacky self-obsessed exhibitionists intent on pissing people off in inappropriate places.

M31:

I put the support the troops cross on my profile

The 'Support The Troops' logo is the only one of the 'logos' to make any real sense, since our men and women are out there having volunteered to do their bit on our collective behalf. Their parents know it is a voluntary risk our servicemen and women are running on our behalf, their parents can be rightly proud of that fact, and therefore we should all be behind them as a collective

Contrast that with all the Maddy and cancer trash. gimmick logos. No-one volunteers to have a relative die of cancer. Parents don't volunteer to have their child abducted and such tragedies are individual and private affairs....NOT collective risks run on behalf of the nation.

If people wish to slap gimmick trash on their profiles...good luck to 'em as I suspect it turns more people 'off' than 'on'

M26:

why would you have to attempt to bring the clear hatred of women into this??

Confuse ye not a distaste for pc brigade bullshit with nought else, for that would be the equivalent of stating that those without an angel trash gimmick on their profiles are Maddy-haters at best and pro-child abduction and murder at worst.

Might upset and offend people that sort of insinuation.
 claire2282
Msg: 32
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 9:02:39 AM
It's just a harmless way of paying respect and showing your support! I personally don't do it, but think there's nothing wrong with it. Maddie had other family too who may just find comfort and appreciation in those small gestures!!!
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 33
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 9:04:58 AM

If people wish to slap gimmick trash on their profiles...good luck to 'em as I suspect it turns more people 'off' than 'on'

Has done nothing to put off the emails from new purusers of my profile to email me.. I had 17 new emails when i logged on this afternoon and another 8 while i was on here earlier.

Confuse ye not a distaste for pc brigade bullshit with nought else, for that would be the equivalent of stating that those without an angel trash gimmick on their profiles are Maddy-haters at best and pro-child abduction and murder at worst.

Might upset and offend people that sort of insinuation

Only if the person wishing to view my statements in that way is clearly twisted and more than a little bit strange.
The comments regarding the disgust at breast cancer ribbon in general definately gives the signs of woman hating
 claire2282
Msg: 34
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 9:07:00 AM
^^^^The reason things like this are done in a PUBLIC way is not to manipulate and show how caring we all are.....but as another way to highten AWARENESS of a good cause! Still, i suppose ignorance is bliss for all those who disagree! Maybe some people who have lost family to cancer or have sons in the war find comfort in these things.....and by posting it on their profile it allows others with similar experiences to come forward and share a few reassuring words!
 Perikaryon
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 9:34:46 AM
One of the best things to happen on POF in recent weeks was the 'clean-up' of profiles so they only show peoples faces on their main profile image

The process wiped out the nutjobs displaying all that 'Find Maddy Now!' crap lifted off newspaper front pages.

I hate to interrupt the psychos thought process with a bit of logic...however...this is a dating site.

Did anyone seriously expect anyone else to get off their arse, jump on a plane and go looking for that poor child?? FFS get a grip.

And to see a 'Maddy Angel' underneath ....'must not have messaged users for intimate encounters or sex ?

Thats really gonna cheer the poor parents up if they see that.
 malcolmeggs
Msg: 36
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:42:17 PM
Hi everybody
The reason why I started this thread is because i genuinely find it a bit idiotic to put these typo things like angels etc on a dating sight .
I did not mean t upset anyone . This is the only chat room i have came across that uses them .
I just find it a bit childish . A bit like constantly using text talk like lol or rofl .
Same as those stupid smiley things .If i come across lots of these i immediately move on .
But there is a serious note to this as well . Why is Maddy being singled out ?
Like i mentioned at the start , I don't think child abduction is any more rife today than it ever has been . But the media response has gone way over the top.
Why cancer ??
I think that most of us know someone that has died of cancer !! but why bring it up .
To be frank a few people have said how important the pink ribbon and other cancer charities are to them .But surely giving up smoking would be far more beneficial than putting a ribbon on a computer .
Again i am sorry if anyone has felt offended , it definitely was not meant to be .
 yayawhatever
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 8:13:46 PM
Off Topic Posting removed. Address the topic and not other posters.

Thanks to those who remained on topic.

This is the only chat room i have came across that uses them .

Note: This is a discussion forum attached to a dating site. It is not now, nor ever was it a chatroom. People use their profiles to convey whom they are to their perspective dates. The purpose of profiles is not the same as it would be if this were a chatroom. Which it isn't.

skodassy
Msg: 38
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 11:36:44 PM
When I see the angels for maddy on profiles, I do wonder what sort of person gets caught up in the media frenzy for one pretty little girl and not all missing children.
It doesnt show a particulary caring side to their personality.
As for the ribbons for cancer, unfortunately there are very people that do not know of someone that is dying or have died of this horrible disease. But their are other horrible diseases that people die of too. Seeing the cancer ribbons on profile after profile sort of loses its impact as well and I start wondering who geniunely cares and who wants to show that they are caring.
 Wrinkledstockings
Msg: 39
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 4:12:35 AM
I guess some do this sort of thing for genuine heartfelt reasons and others just want to impress. It's not for me though and I would probably steer clear of someone who did it because we would most likely be too different.
 Perikaryon
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 5:55:13 AM
If people want to turn dating websites into 'virtual cemeteries'....let em get on with it

Post#38 nicely sums up my thoughts re the maddy and cancer stuff

There are indeed very few people that do not know of someone who has died of cancer.

It therefore follows that there are very few people that do not know someone (or maybe themselves) who is currently battling cancer.

Dating websites are supposed to be fun places, a new partner or friend maybe,... light relief from the constant worries and stresses of knowing a loved one is enduring their personal battle.

Optimism and hope for the future is unlikely to be improved by seeing a rollcall of dead bodies on a dating site.

Clearly those self-obsessed me-me-me 'caring cancer ribbon' people have already worked that one out.

(not)
Msg: 41
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 6:13:06 AM

If people want to turn dating websites into 'virtual cemeteries'....let em get on with it

you may class it has a dating site, but as it also offers the option of loking for friends and talk/e-mail then it is also a community site also. you may not like but others do it is about perference again
 Lirael170
Msg: 42
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 8:02:17 AM
I do think the Maddy Angels are just herd mentality in action. One person does it so the next feels they have to or look bad. I avoided anyone diplaying her missing pic in their headline.. not because I was unsympathetic, but just that there is so much happening all over the world, child prostitution, adbuction, paedophilia etc that focusing on one case is a bit blinkered and says to me this person believes everything they read in the paper

If you display something that has personally affected you and your life then I don't have a problem with it. It's just an easy way of telling people something that they may relates to and give you a common ground. Each to their own I say and if you don't like it can help you to wheedle out a load of people who will annoy you and you know not to contact them.... so in a way helps you hone your search for Mr/Mrs Right :)
 jannick06
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 8:03:34 AM
this is a multitask site
if people want to bring up the plight of a little girl they should be allowed to
 sprite57
Msg: 44
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 8:05:10 AM

I have the Cancer one and dont give a flying fvck what anyone thinks of them, not one tiny bit.

I feel the same. I just think they're a nice gesture. They dont seem to deter people from mailing me or adding me to their favourite list. Of course you cant mention every cancer sufferer or missing child but they represent all those who are in a similar position. Its up to you how you choose to interpret them and like Angel says if you dont like what's on a profile, dont mail the person - sorted
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 45
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 11:48:22 AM

Optimism and hope for the future is unlikely to be improved by seeing a rollcall of dead bodies on a dating site.

Roll call? I lost my mother and grandfather last year to cancer, if i wish to show my support then i will. That is my business.

Clearly those self-obsessed me-me-me 'caring cancer ribbon' people have already worked that one out.

How odd.
 DonnyRovers
Msg: 46
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 12:23:54 PM
I totally agree DisturbedAngel, its no-one elses business, but our own if we wish to show our support to families, friends and loved one's

I also lost my grandad (a week before christmas) to cancer.

Putting on these symbols is to show that there are people that are either going through the same or similar situations. They may have already been through these hard times and want to show that their are others that know exactly how they feel. It shows that you can come through the other side and have support from ot only familiar faces, but also complete strangers.

Also, to others that are having at go people such as myself. Just because someone doesn't have the symbols on their profile doesn't mean they are any less caring

I wonder how many would add the cancer one for example, if they found out a friend a family member or even themselves. (Hopefully it never happens to anyone of you)
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 12:39:59 PM
Just joining this Discussion.

I tended to think-That if you put an angel of maddy on profile ,not long after her disappearance, you were assuming she had died, and gone to the Angels-
My thinking wasnt that she has an Angel watching over her to find her.

Is this ambiguity recognised by anyone else on the forum?
 nippysweetie
Msg: 48
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 12:53:38 PM
I have from the beginning found the maddie angels grotesque,
I think that people displayed them mainly to show a kinda` see how good i am, i care` attitude which to me came across as more... see how i seek attention by highlighting a tragic event that had nothing to do with me...
I have noted some hypocritical sheeple on here saying no angels on my profile, true not in present profiles maybe but shed loads on previous ones, for gods sake have a thought of your own for once and try not to follow the crowd
 claire2282
Msg: 49
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 2:32:18 PM
Not everything is in a position to donate money......it costs nothing to put this on a profile and is a good way to show support i think!
 ~Leannie~
Msg: 50
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/23/2007 2:38:14 PM
it's not support though is it, cos in reality it doesn't actually achieve anything at all..
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Angels for maddy