Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > POF Profile Does NOT Match Facebook Profile = Red Flag      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 happybunny8
Msg: 50
POF Profile Does NOT Match Facebook Profile = Red FlagPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
^^Yep, people like their little fantasy non-issue world.

They want the truth, but can't handle the truth - har!
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 51
POF Profile Does NOT Match Facebook Profile = Red Flag
Posted: 6/3/2011 6:05:40 AM

Serious, why does everyone take all this stuff so seriously?.........it's the freaking internet! Buy a clue people!

That's why I get so many compliments about my profile perhaps........women sense I'm not trying to snowball them with BS......I did forget to put one thing in there though..........I hate walking in the rain and I don't want to watch a sunrise at a beach !!

Honestly? I'll have to try that one! lol
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/3/2011 6:13:50 AM
That's why I get so many compliments about my profile perhaps........women sense I'm not trying to snowball them with BS......I did forget to put one thing in there though..........I hate walking in the rain and I don't want to watch a sunrise at a beach !!

That's great if that's something you do NOT enjoy doing. Most people do, even I enjoy the wonders of nature like a sunrise/sunset. But I don't put it in my profile, because I don't want to sound like everyone else.

I also like to laugh, but I don't have that in my profile either. :)

I come across a lot of profiles where people are just stating the obvious.
 kari135
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 3:38:00 PM

~OP~ Yep. It's a problem. I found (my accident) a little trick to do. If someone is using the same screenname for multiple profiles, all you have to do is google that screenname and anything that person is using will show up in all google searches and all you have to do is click on that link and there you go ~ any profile with that screenname shows up and our posts here on POF also show. When I google me, there are all sorts of erroneous stuff that show up (stolen profile verbage, etc.) I spent about 3 days trying to get sites to delete my fake profiles. I think I finally got them all, but it took some doing. I think the "mainstream" sites will show if that person is using the same screenname multiple times. It is rather distrurbing when we find alternate profiles, but it's best to know sooner than later. Good luck to ya~

Lotsa people on the net nowadays. I was the first to use my original screen name back in the bad old days of unmoderated newsgroups. The last time I did a search on it, there were literally hundreds of close variations. Some where fake blogs/sites created by my cyberstalker, the vast majority were other people who'd just seen it somewhere and liked it, so they created their own versions.

As for the 'fake' dating site profiles, I'm still on a bunch of free sites. Don't even know what some of the passwords are anymore - but the info in each one is a variant of the one on POF, because that's the longest one allowed of any of them.
 nolamatt09
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/10/2011 4:51:49 PM
There is also this site www.spokeo.com it's quite creepy if you ask me, it uses public record and can find out where someone lives.
 Seakytten
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/10/2011 5:11:25 PM
Op, I have quite a few people on my fb friends list from this site but I've pretty much known them for years and I trust them. There are one or two of the men on here that are on my friends list (one I talk on the phone with frequently) and one I just 'friended' about a week ago 'cause he's just too cool on the forums...

I think a dating profile is somewhat different from a fb profile in the fact most people on fb are on there to stay in touch with friends and family, post pics of their ongoing life or their many cats (like I do) and to look up old friends from school, etc. My profile here is short and to the point without giving out any personal info about myself other than I'm not single/not looking and here for the forums only. As with anything regarding the internet you have to weed out the losers and the liars and once in a blue moon you'll meet someone that is sincere with their profile being exactly who they are. Fb is a social utility that I, myself use to keep up with my family, the guy I'm seeing and my current circle of friends including people I've known from high school. I don't usually 'friend' people I've just met simply because I don't want them that close to my life right away until I get to know them a bit...once in blue moon there will be an exception (like last week), but usually I'm very evasive and careful about people on here now. If their fb page is too different from who they've claimed to be on here then I certainly wouldn't trust anything else about them.

Kytten
 kari135
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2011 5:48:53 PM

There is also this site www.spokeo.com it's quite creepy if you ask me, it uses public record and can find out where someone lives.

There are a LOT of sites like that, and how much info you get from each one depends on how much you want to pay.

Actually, you can find anything in public records for free - that's why they are called 'public records' - and it's a good thing to know, if your next door neighbor turns out to be a registered sex offender. There are also some sites where people's experiences with other people are exchanged, like Don'tDateHimGirl.com. I'm sure there are similar sites for men, as well.

Once something is on the world wide web, forget about secrecy. Just ask Wiener about that...
 star_light84
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/10/2011 11:42:30 PM
I went through something similiar. I met a guy on here and we started talking on msn and I looked up his email on facebook and it came up with a profile of a guy who is engaged. I asked the guy about it, since we had gone out on a date at this point, and he said he doesn't even use facebook. But after I said it, he stopped talking to me.
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/11/2011 9:02:26 AM

I dated a guy for 2 months who I met on myspace. He was on the dating site but I could not contact him there since we had free memberships. I searched his name on myspace and sent him a message. Something about why would anyone use pay sites when the social networks are free.

I don't think guys could get away with that without the woman thinking he's a stalker. LOL

or too cheap to pay for a match membership.

Also, some people, I've noticed, do not like being recognized in real life from a dating site. I actually went out with a group of friends and a friend of mine introduced me to this new female friend in the group. We chatted a bit.

Later on, I noticed she was a mutual friend with the person that introduced me to her on Facebook. I emailed her there, and we started chatting.

Anyhow, you know how you sometimes get those "My Matches" through Match.com about once a week. Well, guess who appeared as one of my matches...it was her! LOL

Later on, I contacted her on FB and we get to talking, and I try to ease my way carefully into the conversation about match.com

I asked her if she does any online dating, and she said she used to, but she's no longer member of the site, trying to save money.

And I said, "Funny you mentioned that, you appear as one of my matches through the site."
I had asked if she was still unattached or single, and she says, 'My dating life is none of your concern, it's personal."

And I apologized that she felt that way (was trying to be apologetic) Later on, I noticed she had removed me from her friends list.

Never again will I make mention that, it seems some single people might be embarassed in having used a dating site, and if someone mentions it to them in public, they might get a bit upset about that....depends on the person, I know people that say, "Yeah, people recognize me all the time."

Like it's not big deal.

But I err on the side of caution in these cases.
 harlem9090
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:13:03 AM
Facebook is a good way to check up on people, and unfortunately it does give those of us who genuinely don't use facebook a bad name.

'Oh, he doesn't have facebook, well hes hiding something' No, I don't have facebook because it's utterly pointless.
 tutti_k
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2011 2:55:55 PM
i can understand finding his age is different but how did you find out about his height on fb?
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2011 8:56:16 PM

then months later theyv added me as a friend on f acebook.

I don't believe anyone can add you as a friend on Facebook without your consent.
 Naadirah
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/12/2011 7:11:41 AM
I check up on anyone that I may have an interest in. Why? The 2nd person I met on POF in 2009 ended up having 5 identities in 4 states. His job involved a lot of travel and he got away with it for years. He was married, with kids too. It took me about 20 days to figure it out.

Public Records and the Internet are very useful tools. The only reason to be upset about it are people with something to hide.

People often use the same username, don't set Facebook to private, use the same profile pictures on multiple sites. Photographs contain metadata, even GPS location unless you disable that feature. It is easy to locate someone by IP address through an email. Public records are really just that, any court house or register of deeds can provide birth, death, marriage, divorce, business information.

It's not about having trust issues, it's being smart. When online we are meeting people that no one we know can vouch for them.

Another thing to Google is phone numbers. Reverse phone book, Craigslist ads, etc.

Spokeo and other data mining companies use public information mixed with Census averages. It could be way off. Also try Googling your own information, check what you can find. Based on my first and last name, there are 23 found in the USA. I also share a name with a British Folk singer.

Ever notice you cannot delete a Facebook account, only deactivated it?
 GooglePlusUser
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/12/2011 9:52:38 AM
I dunno, I don't mind at all someone searching for info on me. I have a open life with nothing to hide and I'm *very* easy to find doing a search online. On the flip side, I can't really be bothered to search out this and that on someone. I prefer to ask them questions and talk to them to get to know them. I'm honest with people about who I am and I ask for the same in return. If someone can't do that with me (lies always come out), then they're not worth my time.

BTW, you can delete a Facebook account instead of deactivating it. Just Google "permanently delete facebook" and the first hit takes you to where you can. I considered deleting mine, but left it open as a pointer to where I am these days if old friends want to find me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > POF Profile Does NOT Match Facebook Profile = Red Flag