Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Creationism or Evolution?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dyk tafims
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Creationism or Evolution?Page 7 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I do not believe in dog (oh my god i've spelt it backwards)
all religion is is a way of putting the frighteners on people so that they can be controlled. it is also a form of brain washing.
the jews brain wash their kids and the muslims,sikhs christians,hindus,and all other no hope wallies do the same.
evolution is the only credible,logical answer
 cheekyjules
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Creationism or Evolution?
Posted: 1/26/2009 12:44:45 PM
LMAO

I dont control or brainwash my children.

I give them the answer I believe in, if they one day choose it's not for them, then so be it.

Just because you dont support religion it does not mean your right and everyone who does is wrong.

Oh and God is capital G

VVV LoL I would not stop my children from learning all of the proven science's in the world! I encourage learning and development.
 Dyk tafims
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 12:51:37 PM
not in my house it's not it starts with a P (for Pants)
if you teach kids every known religion and also inform them of the theory of evolution then they can make up their own minds.if you only teach one religion then they will only believe in the one load of mumbo jumbo.
 Susieb
Msg: 154
Posted: 1/26/2009 2:40:58 PM
Evolution began to occur a great deal more than 3 thousand years ago - 30 thousand might be nearer the mark. Science/history shows that homo sapiens has evolved - exactly where from still eludes science/history - in so far as how did he/we make the leap from the omeaba?

Does God exist? Was Jesus the 'Son of God'? Don't 'know'/can't 'prove'.

(Did watch Mel Gibson's 'The Passion' with tears streaming down my face at man's utter ignorance and inhumanity).

I do believe that the Bible gives us a fundamental principle on which to live our lives and I believe in that. That leads to the question of its production. I don't have an answer. I wish I did. I wish I could 'believe' wholeheartedly. I can believe - wholeheartedly - in the underlying principles but they are basically 'humanitarian' and who, among us, regardless of faith/denomination could deny.

We are 'growing up' at last - as a global society. It will be another century, at least, before we benefit - always assuming we haven't blown one another to smithereens beforehand. We are really quite a 'sad' species.
 christoph_er
Msg: 155
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:02:55 PM
The argument that the bible is where morailty is devirved from is completely false. Do you think people went round murdering and robbing others, then one day the bible came along and everyone thought "hey, we're not supposed to be doing this".... No.

The virgin birth, died on a cross, dead for three days story dates back well before jesus... these appear in the sun God 'Horus's story... and the persian {I think it's persian if I remember rightly} Mithra's story to name just two!

Also, believeing in god/religeon does not answer any of the fundemental questions about the universe. And why are there no 'scientific' explanations in the bible, did God think we were just to stupid to understand.

In my opinion religoeon is holding back man kind. It's religeous bigots who create hate towards the gay community, protest against stem cell research which will help people in need, the list goes on.
I find it really frustrating that people question the scientific theory. If you're ill, you go to a doctor and get medicine... curtisy of science. Everything around you has been created by scientists... light...heat.. technology.. EVERYTHING.

And it's like Christopher Hitchens says... If your an athiest and you die... and you find out that there is a God... You can always say "You just didn't give me enough proof".
 Agapis
Msg: 156
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:09:28 PM

Which do you believe?

i think its short sighted to think in such dualistic terms. there are many different ways it could occur.

the truth is beyond our current capacity for measurement.

but my money's on the Black Monolith.
 satsumo
Msg: 157
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:56:53 AM
All this 'We don't know for sure' stuff gives Creationism a possible validity that it shouldn't have. Yes, you could say -

the truth is beyond our current capacity for measurement.

Does that really mean you think god might just have created the world in 7 days?
 maleshot
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 3:23:57 AM
from a human perspective, creationism is complete and utter rubbish.

if you believe that God exists across time, from the beginning to the end of time in the same instant then what is seven days to God ?
 cheekyjules
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:04:15 AM

Also, believeing in god/religeon does not answer any of the fundemental questions about the universe. And why are there no 'scientific' explanations in the bible

It's called having faith.

I find it really frustrating that people question the scientific theory

What's that then? that science proves life came from the water and evolved?

Genesis, tells you God made creation in 7 days, he created light, water, earth, darkness, creatures, plantlife and lastly man in God's form.
This may well not be the 'Man' we see today, we have evolved.

Sportswriter...
God created Animals on day 6, scientists believe they were called Dragons before in the 1800's they was given the name Dinosaurs.
Dragons are talked of in the Old Testament.

Also, there are many very old history books in various libraries around the world that have detailed records of dragons and their encounters with people. Surprisingly (or not so surprisingly for creationists), many of these descriptions of dragons fit with how modern scientists would describe dinosaurs, even Tyrannosaurus. Unfortunately, this evidence is not considered valid by evolutionists. Why? Only because their belief is that man and dinosaurs did not live at the same time!
But, one such explanation does exist. If you remove the evolutionary framework, get rid of the millions of years, and then take the Bible seriously, you will find an explanation that fits the facts and makes perfect sense:

At the time of the Flood, many of the sea creatures died, but some survived. In addition, all of the land creatures outside the Ark died, but the representatives of all the kinds that survived on the Ark lived in the new world after the Flood. Those land animals (including dinosaurs) found the new world to be much different than the one before the Flood. Due to (1) competition for food that was no longer in abundance, (2) other catastrophes, (3) man killing for food (and perhaps for fun), and (4) the destruction of habitats, etc., many species of animals eventually died out. The group of animals we now call dinosaurs just happened to die out too. In fact, quite a number of animals become extinct each year. Extinction seems to be the rule in Earth history (not the formation of new types of animals as you would expect from evolution).
 SpeedBird1979
Msg: 160
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:17:26 AM

Due to (1) competition for food that was no longer in abundance, (2) other catastrophes, (3) man killing for food (and perhaps for fun), and (4) the destruction of habitats, etc., many species of animals eventually died out. The group of animals we now call dinosaurs just happened to die out too.

I find the Chicxulub Crater and the K-T boundary far more convincing proof the dinosaurs (the ones that died out 65 million years ago) died in a bolide impact.
 stew_67
Msg: 161
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:18:12 AM

Where were the dinosaurs in all this?

i think they were busy making oil for us greedy humans to fight over with all the religious
nutters theres no room for some of us
 aitche
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:19:21 AM
The one thing that all religions on earth have in common is that they're all man-made.

Across the globe many religions have common themes which I think relate more to how the human mind works than proof of a divinity.

But if you believe what you belive having given all things due consideration then fair enough, I do the same. I'm not going to try to persuade anyone to come over to my way of thinking so long as they offer me the same respect.

H.x
 cheekyjules
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:21:19 AM
Carry on believing as you please speedbird, I just put forth a Christian explanation.

i think they were busy making oil for us greedy humans to fight over with all the religious

LMAO
 heteroguy
Msg: 164
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:43:00 AM
i think if there was any watertight evidence to support either view, well, we wouldn't be talking about it here would we? i have read some intriguing articles recently about so called "intelligent design", i.e that something was behind the complex and vibrant thing we call life. i also realise that darwin did seem to answer a great many questions with his his take on things.

when i look at this world though, and take in it's breathtaking complexity and diversity, i find it very hard to accept that all this came from a CHANCE mixing of amino acids etc in some primordial puddle of sludge...do me a favour! i'm not religous in the conventional sense, and i don't think that the bible/koran etc necessarily answer all our questions, not by a long chalk. but i do think something more than random chance was behind the world we live in. doesn't mean i think it was some fella with a long white beard, or some other religous figure though. it's a very interesting area to investigate, it makes me laugh though, when people wade in with completely black or white views on the subject though, as if to say: "this is how it is, how could anyone believe otherwise?" truth is, there isn't definitive proof or even a theory, either way, that answers ALL our questions satisfactorily. people who make these kind of simplistic statements, in my view, should read a little more, and come back with a real argument, not just a supposedly "provacative" one liner...
 WarmSunBuddhaFingers
Msg: 165
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:56:14 AM
Off Topic - I find it ironic that women choose to follow a particular conventional religion when over all religions are predominately male-dominated, sexist and demeaning to women, I share the view that religion is man-made hence the bible, koran and other religious texts were written by men for men to control and delude, the 12 disciples were all men why no women? Anyway...

Creationism was born from Evangelical Americanism, comforting theories, narrow mindedness, arrogance, ignorance and blind faith, evolution was born from observations, hard work, patience and learning about the *real world* however harsh it is.
 Kev_71
Msg: 166
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:55:14 AM
Bill Hicks, the late American comedian, said something along the lines of when having sex, people sometimes say 'oh god!'; instead why not say 'Chemical chance, Chemical chance...'

x
 Talk4England
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:57:11 AM
Faith is stupid and causes soooo much harm both on the macro level (religion) and the micro (people relinquishing their own destiny).
How faith ever got to be perceived as a positive attribute really puzzles me.
 Simply_Because
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 10:04:44 AM
The only people who would believe in creationism are those whose knowledge of evolution doesn't even cover the basic dictionary definition.

The truth is that creationism has zero proof, period. The only thing that stops it from being rubbished completely is the zero-point-zero-recurring possibility factor that all illogical claims have and the mass of believers who nod in agreement whenever someone unqualified to answer states that they think God is actually real and did create life.

The most annoying responses from creationists are those who alter the words of their dogma - the only pitiful evidence that their faith has to go on - to the point of ridicule so they can work in science in to their faith. So they say, perhaps God created evolution. Perhaps the seven days that God made the Earth were actually not days at all. Perhaps God is the sun and created mankind out of ice cream that the demi-god Barney the Dinosaur laid in an egg on the moon. When we're just making up excuses and random hypotheses, anything's possible.

Fools follow fools and wish to bring the rest of us down with them so that they don't feel more foolish.
 satsumo
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/27/2009 12:21:59 PM

it makes me laugh though, when people wade in with completely black or white views on the subject though, as if to say: "this is how it is, how could anyone believe otherwise?" truth is, there isn't definitive proof or even a theory, either way

Thats not really the point.

Although we don't have all the answers, it dosen't mean that we can just fill the blanks with 'God did it'. That would be the worst possible choice, that stops people trying to find out what actually causes things to be.

Physics, mathematics, astronomy, medicine all have big unanswered questions. Religion would answer all these questions with god. In fact, religion wants to stop science from finding the real answers. The real answers diminish gods' part in the universe and religion doesn't like that.

If there is intelligent design, science will eventually find evidence for it. So why would religion not just let science keep looking?
 cheekyjules
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 12:30:17 PM
So why would religion not just let science keep looking?

What does Religion do to stop science/Evolutionists from looking?

Both sides throw their theorys out there so....?
I dont see your point.
 1LOVEJELLY
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 12:40:48 PM
Darwin doubted his own theories.

I wish I had a definative answer.

But I don't.

Whats wrong in having a finger in both pies?

But I have to say that I found it quite distasteful how much of the Obama's inauguration ceremony was based on the christian faith.

I know the history behind the foundling fathers but still feel that it was all a little too much.
 heteroguy
Msg: 172
Posted: 1/27/2009 1:31:16 PM
"if there is intelligent design, science will eventually find proof for it. so why would religion not just let science keep looking"

satsuma, you make religion sound like a person who has been sending letter bombs to scientists houses! is religion holding up scientific endeveaour in any significant way? i don't believe so. ok some religous types might dismiss hard scientific fact from time to time but are they actively stopping the scientists from working? i think not.

i am open minded enough to accept that either evolution or intelligent design could yet be proven right. i am a little more stimulated by the intelligent design end of things though and would be dissapointed to learn we are all just the result of a random mixing of ingredients in a primordial puddle. i would however want to know the truth, the whole truth.

satsuma me old mucker, i am also not a "fill in the blanks, god did it" type of person, i don't follow any religion, or the dogma that tends to go with it...like you i want the unvarnished truth. interestingly, quantum mechanics has started to POSSIBLY back up one or two of the more mystical claims that have been made by spiritual types through history. i don't have the space to go into it here but put it this way: we are a long way from even fully understanding the so called building blocks of everyday reality, there is much we don't yet know, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
 Jim...
Msg: 173
Posted: 1/27/2009 5:22:46 PM
No the Welsh came from a land that suffered a lot of immigrants, who came over bringing their own ways and religion and gradually took over, either forcing them out, or compelled them to adopt strange and alien customs. Who says history doesn't repeat itself?
 maleshot
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 5:46:44 PM
In an attempt to get this thread upto 9 pages long, and (ohh look an Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend, don't you just love a posh musical joke ) rival its fellow X thread, the following website may be of interest to all seekers of truth and enlightnment:-

counterknowledge.com

however, remember don't take anything in life too seriously........then again.....
 Simply_Because
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 8:43:58 PM

i am open minded enough to accept that either evolution or intelligent design could yet be proven right.

Evolution has been proven correct. Go to a dog show once in a while and witness evolution at work.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Creationism or Evolution?