Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Creationism or Evolution?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LastoftheGentlemen
Msg: 201
Creationism or Evolution?Page 9 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
The Big Bang theory is another good theory, I happen to like it a lot... but, it is still just a clever theory, there are many alternative explanations, and we don't have any more definite proof than the Christians do on that one, and probably won't have for a very long time (if we ever do).

The poster who said these are just theories is right... each of these scientific theories is just one possible, rational explanation, for the incomprehensible and untestable. In a sense they are no different to a Christian's beliefs, just reached by a different route.

For millenia the majority of people thought the world was flat. Anyone rational would have agreed, it looks flat from down here, anything you drop doesn't roll off around the edge of the world, you can keep on walking, running, sailing for weeks in a straight line and you still won't get back to where you started from. Okay there were some crazy ideas from a few madmen about the world being round, but you could devise any number of experiments to prove they were wrong. Of course the world was flat. But, the world isn't flat, is it? Scientific theories are more often proven wrong than proven right. If there is anything Science should teach us it is to keep an open mind!
 andyaa
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Creationism or Evolution?
Posted: 1/28/2009 2:29:24 PM

The universe is expanding universally in all directions - that is an established fact.

NO it is not an established fact, it is a plausible theory that explains red dopler shift for some people. However, red dopler shift can also be explained by the Shapirro effect. If the red dopler shift can be explained by the Shapirro effect then we do not have an expanding universe or the big bang, hence it is not a proven fact as you have been lead to believe and would have others believe but just one theory in many.

If you want to see and hear some pretty strong evidence that the Big Bang occurred simply leave a television set or radio tuned between stations.

The cosmic background radiation was predicted by Eddington in 1926 as the temperature of starlight, again another equally plausible theoretical explanation…strong evidence for the big bang but far from fact
The big bang theory relies on an ever growing number of hypothetical entities
The biggest myth you have is popularity, however popularity does not guarantee validity.
 Lliwedd
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 2:59:40 PM
^^^^ Interesting, you could use the same argument about religion:

"The biggest myth you have is popularity, however popularity does not guarantee validity"
 schuminat0r
Msg: 204
Posted: 1/29/2009 1:00:48 AM
As David Cross says ... if God, the all powerful created the world in 6days... why did he need a day off to rest? God gets tired? REALLY?

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father."

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, "Last night I lay with my father. Let's get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and lie with him so we can preserve our family line through our father." 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went and lay with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father Genesis 19:30-36

Soooo sodomy is a sin but incest isn't? Nice!
 Miss_stevie_G
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 1:18:45 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^ a day to god is one thousand years (if you read the bible) so i think after 6000 years god rested, not to hard to understand, they re not literall days

the dieseases you get today through incest we`re not the same in those days as adams offspring would have had to sleep with a sister or couisin to continue to populate the world, god had a reason for this ,when he did say it was wrong then we we`re not to do it
 Another_Musician
Msg: 206
Posted: 1/29/2009 2:16:03 AM
I accuse the Flying Spaghetti Monster in The Primordial Soup with The Noodly Appendage.

Am i right?

What do i win?
 schuminat0r
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/29/2009 2:53:04 AM
"^^^^^^^^^^^ a day to god is one thousand years (if you read the bible) so i think after 6000 years god rested, not to hard to understand, they re not literall days

the dieseases you get today through incest we`re not the same in those days as adams offspring would have had to sleep with a sister or couisin to continue to populate the world, god had a reason for this ,when he did say it was wrong then we we`re not to do it"

So "GOD" needing a rest, even after 6000 days makes sense to you? And the "dieseases" or.. diseases you mention are actually more relevant with fewer people... smaller gene pool! I wont even bother going into Adam & Eve... And I'm pretty sure that in the days of Sodom the population wasn't so small that incest was necessary, that fictional bunch were just pretty depraved. Didn't Lot offer his 2 daughters to the townsfolk who wanted to rape the "angels"? You think they'd be more than a little pissed off with him, not want to get him drunk and shag him.
 andyaa
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 6:11:27 AM

Interesting, you could use the same argument about religion:

I do, check out my posting on this thread MSG 121 The ‘creation’ myth, the word bara in Hebrew was never meant to be translated into the word create, the word create is an abstract word, it doesn’t exist in real life. It is better translated to the word ‘form’ or ‘mould’

if God, the all powerful created the world in 6days... why did he need a day off to rest? God gets tired?

Firstly, God is not all powerful, even in the bible there are clear examples of this.

Created…I said about this

6 days, another classic miss quote. Even a day being 1000 years is wrong, just trying to make it look good. The Hebrews use the word ‘yom’ to describe any period of time from a literal 1 day morning to evening up to a season right through to an infinite amount of time. It all depends on the context it was being used. The King James Version couldn’t understand geological time frames as in millions of years to define say for example the Cambrian period. If I said that was the beginning and end of Cambrian period you would know what I mean…well I hope anyway. I explain about it better here...

MSG 2
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11345658.aspx

Why did he need a rest…Rest again isn’t exactly the right word. Here he had basically finished and wanted to see how man and the planet would develop. God was very much active and visited man a lot during the early times, talked and walked interacted on almost a daily basis.

An interesting point, there is never any mention of God wanting to be worshiped. This comes later on in history. The only mention of anyone was Enoch who understood 'elohim' who is not God but what God is, it is the energy of God so to speak and Enoch was 'taken'...If you watch stargate you would equate it to being ascended...sorry just an interesting little side bar.

With regards to Lot and his ‘lot’. He offered his daughters up knowing that the ‘Angels’ who had follows satan to earth were screaming homosexual rapists and not interested in women. They only wanted to bugger the boys. Offering up his daughter’s instead was genius, because he knew that they wouldn’t accept them and move on.

With regards to incest, even with evolution this would have HAD to happen. If you had produced a viable different species different offspring these would have only come from 1 genetic parent. Those siblings would only be able to reproduce from mating with their brothers and sisters. Mating with other members or the parent species would only have produced infertile offspring. Don’t forget Darwin talks about the divergence within a species and theorises if this continues that there would inevitably be a divergence of the species. This has still not conclusively been shown or proved but is mentioned in the bible and is the strongest contender thus far.

It never fails to amuse me how many people are prepared to quote the King James Bible
 Agapis
Msg: 209
Posted: 1/29/2009 10:56:26 AM
or stargate.

*Peppino*
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/29/2009 11:52:16 AM

Basically, you have two theories on where humankind came from - an allpowerful supernatural being created us and indeed, everything else at the very beginning of time (around three thousand years ago), alternatively, we were all some sort of bacteria stuck to a rock, which hit another rock an incalculable amount of time ago, and over a period e developed into a squishy thing sat infront of a computer screen.

Both are feasible, since nothing dates back written 3000 years ago to say there were “Not” an adam and eve, irrelevant to what archaeology provides us.

Is it not just as feasible that an extra life form interfered with humanity so many millennia ago, in some form or another altering the genetic makeup, and that species, or life form was what we call God?

It’s not entirely impossible, theologians have been debating this topic 2000 years, it’s never going to be solved.
 co94
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/2/2009 7:56:18 PM
Dear Ebrenn, how about all the real scientists who actually work for a living and not those arm-chair so called scientists that don't know the actual definition of evolution. A theory is assumed based on an illusion/ belief and the facts they claim to have is very little, the actual step by step of sequence mutation is not there! Your scientists have a lot of skeletons in their closet that you are not aware of , because they refuse to share the proof agianst them and evolution. Your scientists know there is no such thing, but they aren't about to tell you that. But hey, who am I to tell you differrent my sweet , we all have our free will to believe in whatever, right? I am not here to convert anyone, preach to anyone or make you go to church. Keep in mind, there is no genetic code to allow sequence mutation and evolution was taken from a prophesy in the bible by a man who had no educational background in any field of science and his side kick was uneducated period. I would not believe in two misguided individuals who the only thing they did was daydream of stupid theories. You are better off believing in curious george!

with due respect I say this....
 Jim...
Msg: 212
Posted: 2/3/2009 3:33:23 AM
While the bible is a collection of works produced by sheep-herders, fishermen and moneylenders who lived 2-3000 years ago. Obviously they had superior education then to the Victorians. Maybe God did dictate the bible... but he needs to come up with a sequel, his debut novel is looking a bit dated now.

I'm sorry but creationism needs to come up with a better arguement against evolution than "No it didn't".
 satsumo
Msg: 213
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:05:24 AM

just open your eyes and you will see the creations of GOD ALMIGHTY.....

No, they are the creations of the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER.
 vwulme
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:12:23 AM

the dieseases you get today through incest we`re not the same in those days as adams offspring would have had to sleep with a sister or couisin to continue to populate the world, god had a reason for this ,when he did say it was wrong then we we`re not to do it

Are these " dieseases " life threatening, so according to the Creationists we must all be the product of incest........no there's a thought...........
 bachelorpad
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:55:06 AM
Creationism through Coiled Waves
Physicists have got it all wrong
I am working on a Proof
 Pisk
Msg: 216
Posted: 2/3/2009 7:59:46 AM
Co94....

Look what I found....
The CURIOUS GEORGE series takes full advantage of this natural curiosity, using George to motivate children to expand their own investigations of the world. George's memorable adventures — from dismantling clocks to rounding up errant bunnies — offer the perfect vehicles for introducing preschoolers to key concepts in science, engineering, and math.

Exploring the world around him with wonder and intrigue, George embodies the preschool child's potential in the field of science. George's desire to use his four little hands to skillfully take things apart and figure out how they work exposes children to the basic concepts of engineering. And his interactions with patterns, measurements, and geometric shapes introduces early mathematical concepts.

I think in all honesty Curious George is one step ahead of the creationalists
 The BFH
Msg: 217
Posted: 2/3/2009 8:19:16 AM
Creationism through Coiled Waves
Physicists have got it all wrong
I am working on a Proof

Is that like all that extra dimensions, string theory, why is gravity weak?, M - brane, parallel universe stuff?

I wonder about those theories having something to do with creationism in some way... like one day there's going to be a big booming voice come from the LHC saying "Oi! Leave it out mate!"

Mixed up much?... Yes
 vwulme
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:23:46 AM
Did Marcus create the forums or did they evolve?
or will I get a big booming email saying "Oi! Leave it out mate!"
Some things can be proved and some things require faith.
Ducks to avoid lightning bolt
 Sister Sin
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:29:38 AM

Dear Ebrenn, how about all the real scientists who actually work for a living and not those arm-chair so called scientists that don't know the actual definition of evolution. A theory is assumed based on an illusion/ belief and the facts they claim to have is very little, the actual step by step of sequence mutation is not there! Your scientists have a lot of skeletons in their closet that you are not aware of , because they refuse to share the proof agianst them and evolution. Your scientists know there is no such thing, but they aren't about to tell you that. But hey, who am I to tell you differrent my sweet , we all have our free will to believe in whatever, right? I am not here to convert anyone, preach to anyone or make you go to church. Keep in mind, there is no genetic code to allow sequence mutation and evolution was taken from a prophesy in the bible by a man who had no educational background in any field of science and his side kick was uneducated period. I would not believe in two misguided individuals who the only thing they did was daydream of stupid theories. You are better off believing in curious george!

with due respect I say this....

And with respect I say this, why take any notice of someone who can't even handle/understand the UK Forum bit?

There's a hell of a lot we don't know or understand yet, probably never will (unless there are minds immeasurrably greater than ours watching.... (that's a War of the Worlds ref rather than a religious one but see what I did there?)).

For my money, evolution is probably the safer bet if not the most comforting one.

I guess we might find out on the day we don't wake up dead.
 Jim...
Msg: 220
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:36:44 AM
The nutter on the bus is usually the one talking to me about god... I sense a connection.

Smug slogans, witty word-twists, misinterpretation and quote-mining of scientific research... creationists, give me one iota of proof that god exists besides what is written by, quote, 'falliable man' in 'THE' book.
 Tribaltree
Msg: 221
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:33:10 PM
Evolution is for me.
And another thing that I would like to say is CERN. When those atom colide the big bang theory will be proved as factual.
 andyaa
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:37:59 PM

When those atom colide the big bang theory will be proved as factual.

I hope so because that will prove the bible to be correct.

What people don't realise is that the bible talks about and explains evolution but more talks about your next step in the evolutionary line, science only tries to discover how evolution works
 ardentx
Msg: 223
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:42:49 PM
There is a reason Evolution came after creationism and that is because idiots who did not understand the world and life created the idea of creationism to explain said things, then evolution came around when we finally understood. Creationism is peddle by religious nuts 1000s of years ago when they knew no better, now we do so religion is a date and redundant institution that takes advantage of peoples longing and susceptibility.
 Tribaltree
Msg: 224
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:46:05 PM
The bible was written by man, and re written hundreds of times to get to todays version.
For one example the bible states you can sell your eldest daughter into slavery.
It has 600+ commandments not 14, or 10 as the modern day beleif tells so.
And another point to make is that chritianity started at an early age of the worlds life, what about the early beleifs of the Celts, Romans, Norse, Incans?
 andyaa
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:58:19 PM

re written hundreds of times to get to todays version.

Actually that’s a fallacy believed by the less educated. The dead sea scrolls proved that the old testament is 99% accurate. It's just the idiot translators that have got it wrong. If you go by the King James Version as most of you seem to enjoy quoting then yes you will remain ignorant of what it really says.

In the beginning god created the heavens and the earth...

It even sounds like a fairy story, if you look at each word in the Hebrew original it says nothing of the sort

Sill there's no point in telling people this as they believe what they want to believe religious or atheist
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Creationism or Evolution?