Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hiromi
Msg: 303
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 13 of 53    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Again, it depends on individuals.
Before I judge this person's education level, I would look up his profile :His first language might not be English. I would completely forgive about the mispells.
 TeachMe2009
Msg: 304
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 12/14/2007 11:38:00 AM
It really depends on their profile, if they come off as being intelligent but unable to spell, I can deal with it. However, if their profile is riddled with spelling errors and poor grammar, I typically don't respond.
 glamour puss
Msg: 305
Posted: 12/14/2007 11:38:15 AM
well it wouldnt bother me, i once went out with a guy who was dislexic he couldnt read or write but he was one of the best boyfriends iv ever had!and he could do amazing things with his hands....and im not being rude! he was a fantastic carpenter. what people lack in grammer sometimes they make up for in other areas.
 ChickWithBrains
Msg: 306
Posted: 12/14/2007 5:03:00 PM
I take notice of it, but I don't dismiss someone because of their use of grammar and punctuation. I'm an English major, so that kind of stuff irk me. I try to focus on the actual conversation face-to-face or over the phone.
 chelsea_hou
Msg: 307
Posted: 12/14/2007 5:08:50 PM
"I try to focus on the actual conversation face-to-face or over the phone."
You can never go wrong with face to face.
 AceBugger
Msg: 308
Posted: 12/14/2007 10:23:04 PM
Well slang has been in for a while now... Type error happens & is NO biggie...
 AceBugger
Msg: 309
Posted: 12/14/2007 11:00:30 PM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

According to a researcher at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.

catjean
Msg: 310
Posted: 12/15/2007 6:08:15 AM
I never will date someone who is so controling as to nit pick on anything that I do or say. If someone trys to change me from day one I want nothing to do with them. No crying here, I am better off without. Thank you very much and have a nice day. Buh-Bye
 catjean
Msg: 311
Posted: 12/15/2007 6:26:49 AM
Oooppps!

Sorry folks, that last message was aimed at "cheerupemokidx" in reply to "Let me guess, you are one of those people who cry when people judge you by a picture?". Thank you for your patience. (Laughing out loud)
 shortcake252
Msg: 312
Posted: 12/15/2007 7:05:33 AM
The worst is when a guy emails you and tells you he wants to get to "no" you.

I don't want to be No'd.

Ps - there was another forum where a guy felt like he was being a "stocker" to a girl. I laughed out loud at that one (maybe I am mean). There are crazy stockers out there.

yllwgt2001
Msg: 313
Posted: 12/15/2007 7:13:02 AM
Doesn't bother me, I can look passed misspelled words. I read the profile and listen to what the person is trying to say. I by far not perfect myself, so I for one will not judge someone by their misspelling or typo's. I probably have a few myself. Who cares, it what inside the person anyway. If you meet someone on the outside and you fell for them and then you find out they can't spell, then what? You leave em'
 stillsweetnstillsingle
Msg: 314
Posted: 12/15/2007 10:55:28 PM
Shortcake, I just read that post, and I thought I was being mean for cracking up at the "stocker". What is he stocking, canned goods?
 DemonLeather
Msg: 315
Posted: 12/16/2007 12:39:50 AM
WeeEEEEell,.iffin' yew dew that thar, theyen I'z wuwn't git ta tawk tew a lawt of yew.. I keent hep I tawk wifth a drawel...
 ItIsAllAboutTheChemistry
Msg: 316
Posted: 12/30/2007 4:44:48 PM
I couldn't have said better myself. I was going to mention the fact that English may not be some people's first language just before I came across your comment or response. I find it really interesting that some people are so judgemental that they think somebody is uneducated and less than them because their grammar or spelling is not up their standard. I am one of those people whose their first language is not English, and I make spelling and grammatical errors (as I am sure you will find some in this response), but you can't say that I am uneducated. As a matter of fact I may be even more educated than some of you who are so critical of other people who can't spell and sometimes have bad grammar (I have a B.Sc. in biochemistry and lots of experience in my feild). Some of the greatest mind's first language isn't English. However, I do know there is a difference between not being able to spell correctly and just being stupid lazy (e.g. typing "urs" instead of "yours" when you know the difference...like one is not a word).

cheers
 nymie465
Msg: 317
Posted: 12/30/2007 10:59:37 PM
I'm anal about grammar and spelling, and in a perfect world they (the misspellers and grammatically challenged) would all be whapped with a ruler by a nun . I LOATHE this new thing.... "wnt 2 tlk". I'm pretty sure that they include vowels on ALL keyboards and that this guy took his off. Since I actually like to chat online, hence this means typing, I refuse to chat with others that are one-finger-peckers. Learning how to type is just another skill that is sliding into the sea of social laziness, and with it, proper grammar & spelling.

But that's just my opinion... Might be able to get two dead flies for it........ Somewhere!
 Ignoble
Msg: 318
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:11:54 PM
RE: First post.

Ya ofcourse I respond. Bad grammar and spelling isnt an indicator of stupidity, maybe they just dont read or write much. I dont really care. Intelligence isnt really that high up there for me as a requirement. The sweetest girl Ive ever met is also the dumbest person I know, but I still loves her! ^_^
 Violet Tigress
Msg: 319
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:46:06 PM
At a certain point, that ceases to be cute or loveable. Someone I just mes is not going to win any points that way, but I have more patience & tolerance for people I already know.
 Ur Xoxo
Msg: 320
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:59:19 PM
This makes me think of, "I'm writing this letter very slowly, 'cause I know you can't read very fast."

If we look for the negative, guess what we'll see. Furthermore, we will act negatively towards the other.

When we open ourselves to see the positives in others' failings, or what we consider deficiencies, we bring light instead of darkness to our/their hearts.

To me communication involves much more than words and seeing past that is actually looking deeply into an individuals' being and circumstance.

Long Live the Learning,
Ur Xoxo.
 daryn69
Msg: 321
Posted: 12/31/2007 12:39:32 AM
NO. unlesss thay werr inna hurry.
 concentricity
Msg: 322
Posted: 12/31/2007 5:43:09 AM
Sucks for me I have horrible spelling, some were around 7th grade and grammar ain't far behind. I'm a numbers man myself but seriously dont be to over critical of spelling unless its 1337 or that ImAsTuPiDlItTlEgIrLcHaT cause that really gives me a head ache. But then again PoF does have its own spell check so for the least it could be an insight as to there intellect :)

And for the life of me I cant find the post button only a bunch of post reply's so sorry
 fred2353
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:05:21 AM
Do you know what it means to be dyslexic ? I do because I am. I try very hard to spell all words correctly, however at times I can't even look a word up. Yet, I'm no idiot. I made it through Furman University as a single parent with full custody. Maybe I should just use my poor spelling and there by avoid judgemental people.
 naeco
Msg: 324
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:11:14 AM
I'd much rather see spelling or grammar mistakes than to get typed messages in text message format, like "gud 2 c u agn".
 DemonLeather
Msg: 325
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:31:31 AM
Man!,.. is this thing STILL kicking around??!! Geeeze the shallowness of some people. I should go though this, take names and mass e-mail..
Helow thar, et wood ticawl mes pluum tew death tew maak yeer akwaintens I izza Hylee edumikated indeevidulle, anna' loockin fer thuh saam. Puleeze reespowd Thawk yas DeeMown..
Actually, they did a study, on this once,.. I just can't quite remember the results, but I believe your brain can recognize and translate horribly misspelled words after the first few letters. as long as the first & last letters were correct...I beleive. Are people actually as shallow as they are stating here? AND publically? You can really wade though the genepool here, and the "posters in black robes." If your shoes are waterproof, you don't even have to worry about your sock getting wet,.. much less your pants legs. Ok Ize duun keow,. I'za hangin' up my black robe
 ItIsAllAboutTheChemistry
Msg: 326
Posted: 12/31/2007 1:50:14 PM
This is very interesting. I read the responses from some of the people who said they wouldn't respond to messages from people who can't spell correctly or make grammatical erros, but they made all kinds of errors in their responses...It is much easier to see other people's errors than yours..At least don't make the same damn mistakes or errors you are criticizing other people for.
 cutiepiems
Msg: 327
Posted: 1/3/2008 2:02:38 PM
even if a man was good looking I would be turned off if he could not spell. It shows that he does not pay attention to details, therefore he would probably not be able to notice all of my needs and desires. it also show lack of intelligence.........
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >