Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fancynanci
Msg: 353
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 15 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
I would never hold bad spelling or poor grammar against a man. We all have our gifts. Some brilliant men cannot spell or punctuate.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 354
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:05:35 PM
A few misspelled words, no problem. Lots of bad grammer in the aspect of 'their/there' , 'no'know'. It's just too difficult to decipher at times. I don't do read/delete though. I answer emails, which I'm not interested in the person for a potential relationship, politely and thank them for the interest. But, I make it clear if they want to communicate as friends, that's as far as it will go.

I see no sense in being rude or mean.
 gary5252
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:40:40 PM
i had a beloved english teacher in high school tell me that i was an excellent english student, but that she'd never teach me to speak it. so far, she is correct. my area of the country is full of local dialects and a lot of conversations are carried out by using either old sayings, or foul language. i can spell very well but type very poorly and have no desire to go back to school to re-learn keyboarding as i only use computers for entertainment. i have gotten many e-mails that are hard to read and sometimes harder to catch the meaning of. granted, when i'm on the computer i have plenty of time... thats why i'm here, and occasionally enjoy the challenge of figuring out what others are trying to say. were i in a hurry, it could be problematic so i can see where some have a hard time dealing with it. still others love that they are so well versed and literate that they can't tolerate those not so well blessed. i hate it for ya, but thats life in cyber world. many; though terribly handicapped in the languauge, have worlds of wisdom and life experiences to share, as well as every right to be here just as in the real world. i answer all personal mail, no matter how hard to decipher because, after all, someone made a concerted effort to write it and send it to me. my gripe runs the other way in fact. i don't like to read others comments on bad spelling or grammar when directed at any one personally. might be ok if you were their parents or their teacher, but you are not, so lighten up already.

P.S. there is a little thing circulating on the net supposedly from a study at harvard concerning improper spelling. many of you may have seen it already. i found it very interesting to see that a story could be read in its entirety though not a word in it was spelled correctly. turns out the brain recognizes whole words in the language rather than each and every letter individually. i guess my daughters teachers were right.... kinda... in that they told her not to worry so much about spelling but rather content of her thought train.
 missgenie
Msg: 356
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:48:56 PM
it bothrers me very much that POF has no spell check...
 jstgttnby1
Msg: 357
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:49:31 PM
Shur wy not, I thnik itsa ternon,."wy wood yu thnik ne difrentle.
 jstgttnby1
Msg: 358
 Irishgirl53
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:57:43 PM
I don't respond. How you write a letter/e-mail says a lot about you.
 exrescue
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:58:01 PM
Well,just because someone maybe cant spell,or hasnt had typing lessons,dose that make them a bad person unworthy of a little bit of your attention for a few minuets? I hope im not that shallow.Dose it mean that the person cant have a great personality ,and be someone you like to hang out with?I know i cant spell great or type well,am i a bad person because of it? Just my thoughts on the matter.
 zopz
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 6:27:30 PM
As long as someone makes an honest attempt, why should I care about how they spell or anything? It's surprising to me that some people are so uptight about perfect anything. I'll admit, I have trouble with grammar and spell the occasional word wrong, but I don't type like a 13 year old girl. I never thought it was that big of a deal.
 halfnaughtyhalfnice
Msg: 362
Posted: 1/6/2008 6:50:55 PM
I am SO particular about spelling and grammar. I understand that not everybody is a great speller and that poor spelling is not necessarily an indicator of intelligence, or lack thereof, but everyone has access to spellcheck. I can't imagine getting serious about someone that wasn't able to put spellchecker to use. If I know that I couldn't get serious, why waste their time and mine?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 7:11:03 PM
missgenie ~~ download the Firefox browser. It comes with its own spellcheck, which works just fine in the PoF text boxes (won't work in a rich text text box). It's free, fast, and safer than Internet Explorer.

missgenie
Msg: 364
Posted: 1/6/2008 7:24:09 PM
hey thanks! you know, POF is much more than just romance!
 Sepa-Isis
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 9:23:52 PM
Well generally i will respond, if i can easily figure out what they wanted to communicate to me. In that case it is not a large issue as far as i am concerned.

However i have to say it all depends what you consider a "misspelled word". Is it misspelled or is it what most people use online now days. i.e. u r = you are; np = no problem; ppl = people; and so forth.

i do this very often and had to restrain myself from doing so in this posting as well :) and i must say that this in no way reflects how i speak and especially what my intelligence level is.
 ExplosiveSheep
Msg: 366
Posted: 1/7/2008 5:36:33 AM
If it's legible then I'm fine with it, but if I have to sit and open up babel fish then figure out what language they just sent it to me in I'm not going to bother.

There are women who have very attractive pictures in their profile but they have the commication skills of a middle aged ESL student that just came into the country.
 uwishtoo1958
Msg: 367
Posted: 1/7/2008 6:16:17 AM
That is an instant turn off for me - I always try to do spell check in things I send out. I know how to spell great but I type too fast and make mistakes. But if a guy sends me the childish U are 2 good 2 be true - kind of stuff then forget it - I want to date an adult, not some 20 year old that uses that kind of acronym garbage
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 6:25:34 AM
If a profile has more than two, I would not. Spelling and grammar indicate other things, like paying attention to details, and those are important. The profile is the first or second (after the photo) impression that is made, so make it good. Slow down a bit. Use a spell-checker or dictionary. And show your good side.

Oh. Another thing. Use capitalization and punctuation. The SHIFT key is there for a reason and there is a key for the comma, the semi-colon, the colon, and the period. Reading a run-0n sentence is very difficult and frankly, not worth finishing.
 Vixeneyes
Msg: 369
Posted: 1/7/2008 6:30:45 AM
It reveals to me a lack of intelligence, and intelligence is a requirement in a partner I seek.
 Skatiedid
Msg: 370
Posted: 1/8/2008 7:48:27 AM
Ha ha! I love your response here Dancin!!
 lilangel33
Msg: 371
Posted: 1/8/2008 8:01:05 AM
I find it annoying, you are trying to read and figure out words that you have no idea what they are trying to say.
How can you answer and relate to something you can't understand.
I some times say I'm sorry I don't understand or no comprenda.
Some have nothing in their profile so you don't have much to go by.

missgenie I agree,,,,
 500hp
Msg: 372
Posted: 1/8/2008 10:39:52 AM
Vixeneyes says it's a sign of a lack of intelligence to misspell words . Well I disagreed with her on a post to her and this is the reply I revieved back....
Hey Moron it's too many peoplenot to many people....proved my point about unintelligence!
What is a peoplenot? I believe she proved her point exactly. Who is the Moron Vixeneyes....and a coward that blocks a user after a reply....Hmmmm must be that everyone makes spelling errors. My point proven.
 Gotapulse
Msg: 373
Posted: 1/8/2008 11:45:02 AM
^Actually, ad hominem attacks are a very clear sign to me that I'm not dealing with the brightest bulb. It's generally the province of the least creative because it's the easiest way to argue. Don't debate, just insult. Intelligent people don't call those that disagree with them "morons".

Anyway, I've met people who are very clear , well spoken , and even of above average intelligence who can't spell for their lives. On the other hand, I know some real flakes whose spelling misdemeanors are no surprise. The spelling by itself isn't actually all that indicative necessarily. You have to couple it with the words they're trying to use. If they use words like "manipulative" and "conceive" but spell them as 'mainpulttive' and 'consev' I know they are at least intelligent enough to consider these words for everyday use. If they couldn't conjure up a sentence employing these words if their lives depended on it then maybe they're just this side of average.

In any case, ultimately, it's a tough case to make that they're stupid just because they can't spell. It's very annoying to read and it reminds me to invest in foreign markets but overall it's not necessarily a sign that they are drooling idiots. It can be but that's the exception , not the rule.
 fancynanci
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2008 2:24:39 PM
for all you know someone who spells terribly is a FABULOUS kisser!!!
 phylly444
Msg: 375
Posted: 1/8/2008 2:30:32 PM
no.....looks like he is stupid
 black_iris
Msg: 376
Posted: 1/8/2008 2:36:23 PM
I'm going to assume that you don't mean a couple of typos and a wee little grammar mistakes.

No. I like my guy intelligent and educated. Oh and literate.

Simple as that. That is because I believe what you write mirrors you.

Iris
 NorseViking869
Msg: 377
Posted: 1/8/2008 2:38:34 PM
I am not too picky on grammar or spelling as long as I get the gist of what you are saying. Spelling and grammar no way immpune someones I.Q. (Dyslexics anyone)

Unless they are from a non-English speaking country, their message to me better not be in idiot slang or chat-speak. It's a sign of intelligence to me to be able to spell words correctly and I refuse to date an idiot.

I met idiots with low I.Q. that had better english skills than I. I would love them to try quantum physics , phylosophy, and music and see hoiw well they stack up. I refuse to date grammar nazi's and my grammar isn't that bad.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >