Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 spitfire6844
Msg: 428
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 18 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
It shouldn't be a turn-off at all. Many people don't have the best spelling, grammar, or punctuation. Unless the reader is an idiot, it's fairly easy to decipher someone else's writing even if that person isn't super-literate.

Don't miss the forest for the trees.
 moxieroxie
Msg: 429
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 1/19/2008 12:10:19 PM
My simple answer to that is - NO. I am seeking the caliber of person who cares about literacy, grammar and all that is involved. That is just ONE of many things I seek in someone. When one presents themselves in a manner showing they don't care how they appear, it just represents the whole of the person.

And that's just MY opinion.
 rpof2p
Msg: 430
Posted: 1/19/2008 8:31:07 PM
Way to go. I was in a very bad car accident over a year ago. My spelling isn't the best,grammer sucks. One thing about chatting or e-mailing others is, it help me use whats left of my brain. Words come and go, sometimes I know how to spell it then when I'm about to type it I forgot how. Alot of us have been out of school quite some time and haven't had to spell very much or read. My jobs have been manual labor with long hours, didn't consist of reading or spelling. In high school I was almost straight A student without taking homework home only about once a month. If you,re so proud of yourself that you can't even respond to people that took a chance to meet you ,then to bad for you. Atleast reply. NOT INTERRESTED AT THIS TIME. THANKS.15 seconds of your time is all it would take.
 fly0nthewall
Msg: 431
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:35:08 PM
Poor spelling and typos are one thing. Text-speak and sPeLliNg lIkE tHiS are another ball of wax. I know plenty of people whose spelling and grammar are just this side of atrocious who in actuality are very intelligent people. Typos can also be overlooked, as I make many of them myself.

I take a look at the profile before deciding whether or not to respond. Only the text-speakers are immediately deleted without a response, as I mention a distaste for that in my profile.
 dame_de_gitan
Msg: 432
Posted: 1/20/2008 4:04:27 AM
I am absolutely amazed at the shallowness and lack of understanding I hear here. My son has an IQ of 165 (one about Einstein), has a vocabulary that far surpasses anyone I read on this site but, like Einstein and most of the truly great minds this planet has known, he is dyslexic. This means that he can not spell to save his life and spell check does not always recognize what he is trying to spell. Fortunately, not all people are so judgmental and his wife, who happens to be an English teacher, had no problem seeing beyond his spelling. Maybe you all have missed the really special ones?

V.
 Lahmia
Msg: 433
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2008 7:21:55 PM
It can be a pain trying to rearrange some e-mails, but its often the price of using a keyboard. It could be cofidence about using the computer, typing quickly and missing key strokes, or just poor grammar and spelling. If you don't find out from the person you'll never really know.

Do you judge them on anything other than this level?
 wondering1980
Msg: 434
Posted: 1/24/2008 6:10:35 PM
oh yes very much critical!!! people who worry that much about grammar need to be shot!!!for fu*k sakes were not in school or working here on the forums you dame people. keep your grammar crap for work and school not the net...urg people annoy me
 LoveAVSHockey
Msg: 435
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:27:41 PM
But, you have to wonder if the person that emails you with lots of mistakes really took the time to read what they wrote before sending it. I try to over look some of the petty things, but when it's all ran together and misspelled...it makes me wonder if they will have time for me otherwise if their emails are just tossed out to me? If you are really interested take the time and proof read your email. I am not perfect (far from) but I stop to try and make a good first impression! You only get one!
 stevelfun
Msg: 436
Posted: 1/26/2008 3:32:09 AM
Yikes.

This bothers me on some levels. I mean if they misspell a difficult to spell word - fine - I can live with that. However, 'there' versus 'their'?!?!?!

I got one that was so bad with all the misspellings and poor grammar, I had to read it several times to decipher what they were saying.

I know that some people are just poor typists and would rather send whatever out with a minor misspelling in it than to manuvuer the cursor and edit the word. Guess I am okay with that.

However, I feel everyone should do a quick scan on your email and try to correct the glaring mistakes at least.
 motionsofenergy
Msg: 437
Posted: 1/26/2008 4:03:08 AM
i always use proper words and writing, i just find it easier in the long run, it means everyone can understand what im saying, especially on the net where there are so many different nationalities, it also avoids misunderstandings.

iF sUm1 wer 2 rite 2 Me lik dis Id hav a hrd time tryn 2 figer out wot day r sayn. id probly nt rply

but if they were genuine mistakes or whatever id be more likely to reply.
 wondering1980
Msg: 438
Posted: 1/26/2008 10:09:54 AM
omg you people are nut bags for saying such stupid things about grammar....no wonder people annoy me
you might as well go for intellectuals only then hahahaha
 Scurvy Little Spider
Msg: 439
no your knot to pickie
Posted: 1/26/2008 2:40:35 PM
It will never not bug me, but I try to assign equal weight to the content of their words.

There are super-duper smart people whose talents lie in areas other than memorizing arbitrary rules made up 200 years ago by a group of control freaks.

I mean -- I spell OK, but I doubt I'll ever be making my own car repairs, etc.

(Please excuse if I'm repeating what others have said; I'm way too lazy to read all 18 pages.)
 zestyvirginia
Msg: 440
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 2:42:30 PM
Sure ,,,maybe just in a hurry but after the third email I would be hard to find to answer.
 jf468
Msg: 441
Posted: 1/26/2008 2:49:43 PM
A few misspelled words is not a big deal. But an entire email filled with grammar and spelling mistakes is a turn off.
 steve217
Msg: 442
Posted: 1/26/2008 2:57:43 PM
From my experience yes.
It seems that people that do not fit your standards of communication online are likely to not be what you're looking for in person.
 kathy411
Msg: 443
Posted: 1/26/2008 3:04:44 PM
If I understand it, I answer. I wouldn't take grammar lessons from them .. but that's a different story.
 greenhome
Msg: 444
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 3:31:43 PM
IQ has nothing to do with spelling and grammar .what people write and do and the way they write it well bubble to that. How was the journey how was the story of the journey, it was life changing, could not put it into words my attempt was feeble was like listing to Keth Jarret but I remembered where I parked the car and could just get home.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 445
Posted: 1/28/2008 5:52:15 PM
As much as I hate to decypher really poor grammar and bad spelling, I still say that the substance of what someone writes holds a lot of weight as well. I would be a hypocrite if I said I had perfect spelling or grammar ( i do not and do not pretend to), so I do not hold it against anyone I am interested in.
 ratherbenaughtythennice
Msg: 446
Posted: 2/17/2008 2:55:38 PM
i think your pretty highly opinionated of yourself if u think u are so much better then someone else cause they are unable to spell, or use proper grammer on here, i bet if u was to take that same person that u put down on here and talk to them in person u wouldn't put them down, alot of people have trouble when it comes to writting and spelling , grammer and chit when they are putting it down on paper, i say look at the whole person , not just what they type,, hell u get someone thats a perfect typist and could still turn out to be the biggest jerk ***hole that u meet in your life, just cause they know the i goes before the e doesn't make them prince charming. if that is what u are going to base on wither u date someone or not then god help u , most mass murders where very high in intelligence
peace
 star100280
Msg: 447
Posted: 2/17/2008 3:41:16 PM
god it really bugs me when people can't spell correctly but i will reply to them, but then if the emails are like really bad then i think i wouldn't want to even have kids with you because what example would you be showing my children when your grammar is that bad, i know its wrong but i can't help it
 cutiepiems
Msg: 448
Posted: 2/17/2008 4:23:11 PM
I think the question is how they put their sentences together and if they know how to use the correct word for example some words have different meanings like Sense or since our hour when I see that they don't know the correct type of word to use it makes me think they are not as intelligent as I would like but then on the other hand unless they are completely stupid its okay heck I can't do math that well but that would not make me in general a stupid person..........
 LuverOfLuv
Msg: 449
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2008 8:11:26 PM
I judge people a lot by the way the way they type.
Punctuation isn't a big deal though, I suck at it myself.
 Prairiephotos
Msg: 450
Posted: 2/17/2008 9:17:03 PM
We have people in this thread complaining about the spelling and grammar of others, yet they refer to themselves with a lower case "i" and do not end their sentences with a period.
 CuriousJane619
Msg: 451
Posted: 2/17/2008 11:20:41 PM
It doesn't bother me if a few words are misspelled or if the comma is misplaced, but if there are a lot of errors then I might not be inclined to respond. I think if you're going to take the time to write someone you should really take the time....time to make sure you come off on the right front. Emailing someone for the first time is kind of like meeting someone for the first time (to some extent), you want to make a good first impression.

As far as if the bad email reflects on how the person communicated in person, I'm not sure about that one. Because someone that communicates well through writing might not do so well speaking.
 star100280
Msg: 452
Posted: 2/18/2008 5:02:23 AM
if i ended my sentances with a period it would be boody messy lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >