Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Born2bewild62
Msg: 478
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 20 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
Cripes! I got someone mad at me because I corrected her spelling of a word on IM! I don't know what's worse- walking on eggshells so people won't think you are inferior to them- or walking on eggshells so they don't feel inferior to you?
Some people just have major chips on their shoulder or something.

JF
 tothfareee
Msg: 479
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 2/25/2008 10:22:33 AM
I agree , credit the sender for showing appreciation , for reading you're profile and giving you the respect of saying, in their own way how nice you looked and you're style ..

Rather than an immediate "Delete" as in "next" !!!

I have had doctor's, lawyer's that couldn't spell this is why they have secretarie's ..

Be happy they resonded goodness ...there's too many "Next Guys" out here.. it's a candy store to them ...
 tothfareee
Msg: 480
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 10:26:30 AM
Sorry.... mis-keyed responded !!!
 nichole52386
Msg: 481
Posted: 2/25/2008 1:52:11 PM
I thought I was alone on this one. It bothers me too. I try not to be too critical, but when a person makes the same error on a word that is fairly simple it is a total turn off. If you are interested in someone and want to make a good impression, wouldn't you at least make an attempt to check your spelling? Either they lack knowledge, or they are too lazy to make an effort. Either way, it's a no go for me.
 hypertech2
Msg: 482
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:32:56 PM
People wonder why it is so hard to date.
I have a college degree, write outdoor articles and I am the web site administrator for 2 web sites. I make mistakes............
If I make a mistake on a message to some one and they are bothered by it then I do not want to date them anyways. Nothing more annoying than being corrected by someone like they were your teacher...........Big Turn Off
 yellowstar45
Msg: 483
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:42:16 PM
grow up who cares if you spel a word wrong get over it
Msg: 484
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:47:58 PM
I dont respond to C-Speak.
But I cant spell for Crap myself, I use spell check. Periodically the thing leaves me high and dry or confuses the words for me. Spelling hasn't got game on meaning any how.
I read some place us creative folk have problems spelling any how. I can look right at something spelled right and not be able to spell it. OH well, I guess I'm Un-Date-able and a lousy human being.
 dessertguy
Msg: 485
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:53:32 PM

Truth told YES it is a turn-off to me when someone sends a message that appears with misspelled words and bad grammer
I want a man I can communicate with that at the very least has high school grammer skills

Is that how they spell "grammar" in McKinney?

OP, it depends......a couple of words here and there, no big deal.....a constant demonstration of lack of basic spelling and grammar skills would be a whole other matter.
 justwatchinginsanity
Msg: 486
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:09:34 PM
I don't respond either. Spellcheck is easy enough isn't it?
 East Coast Hospitality
Msg: 487
Posted: 2/25/2008 10:12:01 PM
one or two mis spelled words is not a big deal but if there are many and the email is just a mess, it sure leaves a bad impression. I have received some emails with really bad grammer and sounded like they just started walking upright yesterday :)

I look at it this way.........without these people, life would not be as entertaining
 Goodluck111
Msg: 488
Posted: 2/25/2008 11:07:36 PM
If it's a typo and forgotten spell check, yes. If the person doesn't know how to spell at all, no. You can tell the difference by frequency of misspelling
 bamsam
Msg: 489
Posted: 2/25/2008 11:58:53 PM
i think that judging someone on how they spell is things is wrong i reply to all my mail even if it is badly spelt cause that person could be the best person you've ever met and your turning them away because of their spelling i am not the worlds best speller myself so i know how it is and sometimes i never know what to put in a message to someone so i know it is hard but give these people a chance you maybe suprised !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ripley65
Msg: 490
Posted: 2/26/2008 1:36:15 AM

My brother had ATROCIOUS spelling!! Example,,he'd spell 'people' like 'peeple'. LOL But,,,he was actually a very funny, smart, hard working, good hearted man who just couldnt spell worth a crap. lol So yes,,id respond and have responded to such emails, but as far as bad grammar? Now when they start 'talking' that gangster talk, that really just totally turns me off ( wit =with,,,ect.. i HATE that!!) I will respond because i respond to everyone, but i will not encourage them to email me again. lolol
 not looking2
Msg: 491
Posted: 2/26/2008 5:06:41 AM
Sometimes misspelling is just a result of bad or rapid typing abilities. I usually have to go over anything I type a couple of times to catch the the mispelling.
What bothers me the most is people that misuse words, like..."conversate"....its "converse ", derived from conversation.
unless you using words from the urban dictionary of slang.
 ForUmNoReasn
Msg: 492
Posted: 2/26/2008 6:41:34 AM
I would reply and did reply to a man who doesn't have perfect grammar and who often misspells words. His intelligence was revealed in the course of our correspondence despite the errors.
He's quick witted and smart in a self taught sort of way, can fix anything, rewire your house, natural abilities that most of the guys in my generation only display when it comes to a video game.
I wouldn't trade him for a stack of dictionarys.
The old adage remains true, don't judge a book...
 fishersguy
Msg: 493
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 7:11:25 AM
Some people text like they're on a phone... I think that's okay. True grammatical and misspelled words are a turnoff.
 Bikeman_
Msg: 494
Posted: 2/26/2008 7:24:20 AM
Geez Louise, e-mail is not a text message. There's also a difference between totally misspelled words and a couple of typographical errors. Personally I'm guilty of some bad e-mails; my typing doesn't keep up with my thoughts and often I'll forget to include some key words which make the message difficult to understand. Then there's the person who can't string sentences together without there being any grammatical and/or spelling mistakes in any of them. To me that's a display of poor communication skills and an arrested education. Definitely non-plussing.
 greeneyes6401
Msg: 495
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 9:44:10 AM
Did you ever think that maybe English is not the person's first language.. English is the hardest language to learn. Because of all the rules in it. I before e excpet after c. So give the person a chance. It could also be that they are just typing too fast.
 sexyviper
Msg: 496
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 10:35:56 AM
for all those that gripe about spelling and spellcheck

I cdnuolt bleiee taht I cluod aulacity uesdnanrd what I was rdanieg. The phoanmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deson't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat lttteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

a knew won four the reel spell checkers

eff you see kay , why oh you (just kidding)
 randomstoic
Msg: 497
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 10:47:52 AM
Misspelled words are fine. We all succumb to these things. However, poor grammar is a major turnoff.
 bikerchick73
Msg: 498
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 10:53:06 AM
Quote "Never judge a book by its cover"
 airenueva
Msg: 499
Posted: 2/26/2008 11:01:30 AM
Having an education is important in a person I'm going to be spending quite some time with, so for me, a message or profile rife with grammatical and spelling errors indicates a semi-literate person that really goes against the grain of who I am, and I wouldn't expect to get along with him. Still, we all make typos and to some degree it doesn't matter.
 Blueskies123
Msg: 500
Posted: 2/26/2008 11:02:17 AM
Yes I reply, if I don't understand what they have written then I will ask them to clarify..but it could be they are dyslexic (however dyslexics usually write 'as is' so it's perfectly understandable anyway).
If someone always mailed lots of text speak I might ask them not to as I find it difficult to read...even on a text!
 valleyjavastop
Msg: 501
Posted: 2/26/2008 11:18:24 AM
Quote "Never judge a book by its cover"

I agree. Commenting about another's poor grammar or bad spelling only show 's us all who the bookwarm 's are.
Msg: 502
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2008 2:55:28 AM
Just goe's to show !

How F_cked up most people are on this site:

"I could not go out with someone who was bad at spelling and grammer"

How small minded most of you are . . .

He/she is to small
He/she is to large(fat)
He/she dos'e not like my cat ?
He/she doe's not like my dog ?
He/she only wears jean's
He/she dose not have a good job
He/she dos'e not have a car that I like !
He/she dos'e not even have a car
He/she lives more than 20 miles away
He/she dos''e not like the thing's I like

No wonder the world is so F_cked up with people with mind sets like you lot seem to have . . . are there any normal people still out there ?

But then normal ?? what is that to people who have mind set's like that !!!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >