Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ExplosiveSheep
Msg: 553
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 23 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
I herd u gawt prblens wiv speels?
 dbk9000
Msg: 554
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:02:25 AM
Of Course, That's the way I am.
 abelian
Msg: 555
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:15:27 AM
That would depend on whether I have enough time to make the corrections.
 abelian
Msg: 556
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:25:23 AM

Written communication isn't everyone's gift.

Maybe not, but even the most challenged speller can use a spell checker and every post is a chance for a person to practice his or her writing skills. You only get one chance to tell someone you're conscious. However, I'm a guy, so most of those deficiencies will be offset by a good photo.
 20june
Msg: 557
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 6:31:53 AM
You are certainly not too critical. Given the impression management that you would expect from someone who seeks a mate, - if patterns of mispelled words and bad grammar are the best shot that someone can come up with, it is very likely an indicator for overall ignorance. I just had this notion confirmed through another case where I thought I give it a shout , but it was a waste of time. Bottom line is: if you are literate enough to identify his errors and he can not, you know that this is not your match. Perhaps you can have some fun with him, but the odds for meaningful conversations are very little, given that illiteracy seems to occur often in those that are not very articulate. After all, I think that meaningful conversations are an important factor in a relationship. I can not have a cave man in my life, and many cave men try to compensate for ther intellectual deficiencies with anger. I just walked away from one, 2 days ago. I do not waste anymore time with males who obviously have less neocortex than I do.
 Ladyhawke050
Msg: 558
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 10:42:54 AM
Another thing, when you talk online, the majority of people abbreviate and I think that is what is wrong with most people,,,when you can get by with writing: how r u instead of spelling them out, then you run the risk of getting emails in the same category. I never im anyone unless I spell out all words. I may misspell some but at least I try.
 superdrew
Msg: 559
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 11:13:07 AM
If someone initiated the conversation by emailing me first, I would always reply out of courtesy. But if I read a profile that is replete with spelling & grammar problems then it's a big turnoff. It suggests that the person has low standards. The profile is a presentation of yourself to the electronic world. Why be lazy and not spell-check it or get someone to proof-read it?

he wouldn't reject me because I can't keep my decimel points in line sometimes

cak_student, I wouldn't expect you to be a cutting edge mathematician, but I would definitely reject you if you were unable to do basic math. Similarly, I would hope someone wouldn't reject me for not being a brilliant literary author. But if I make I spelling or grammar mistake I expect to be called on it. By the way, cak_student, it is spelled "decimal".
 cak_student
Msg: 560
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:58:02 PM
Superdrew: I'm glad you wouldn't expect me to be a "cutting-edge mathematician."

(By the way, a hyphen belongs between the double modifier.)

You'd be completely disappointed.

Thank you for clarifying the spelling of "decimal".

Since we're writing each other on a very casual basis, no, I don't run my s*** through spellcheck or grammercheck.

(By the way, your quotation marks belong outside the period in the sentence that ends in "decimal.")

I'm imperfect. So are you.

SO?
 *Sanschele*
Msg: 561
Posted: 6/25/2008 4:07:29 PM
Actually OP, I have a red marker on me 24/7 and when a man e-mails me with a horror of grammar mistakes, I carefully circle each one on my computer screen and resend the e-mail back to him with a **Please see corrections in red and re-send**

Us blondes are anal that way

Funny, though...they've never sent the initiating e-mail back to me with their grammar mistakes corrected. Hmmm...my loss, I guess. *smirk*

Seriously, if someone can't or won't make the effort to compose something as simple as a basic e-mail to you without checking their grammar or spelling first, then they probably won't make the effort to pursue or maintain a serious relationship with you down the road.

Sans
 janelle301
Msg: 562
Posted: 6/25/2008 6:45:08 PM
Sure, you respond. I am well educated and type very fast, but sometimes I make typing errors and I don't catch them in time doesn't mean i'm iliterate or can't hold a meaningful coversation. Respond back them.
 SwtPea72
Msg: 563
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 6:58:30 PM
Granted, I did not read all 23 pages of responses to this, however, what I did read I did not see anyone mention the responses some people get from "online scammers", mainly the Nigerian Scammers(see www.419eater.com) that have very poor grammer and speak what is called "Pidgin English". When I get responses most similiar to that, no, I absolutely will not waste my time responding. I can tell by someones profile pretty much if they have just made a typo or two, which happens to everyone now and then. I'm not totally against responding, but I would consider it if I were truly interested after reading their profile. I don't think it would take more than one or two messages to see if I would really be interested in getting to know them further.
 indehills
Msg: 564
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:09:33 PM

Know, I gess I woodent.
Posted: 6/25/2008 8:10:21 PM
To be honest, it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I will, however, read the senders profile as well because sometimes maybe they were just in a rush sending the message. Mostly though I've found their profiles are just as bad, if not worse. I've read A LOT of profiles and messages that are so difficult to decipher, I've had to read them 3 or 4 times to try and understand what their saying.

I feel mean not responding at all, so I usually send a polite "thanks, but not thanks" email back. However, I've found in my experience the people who have really poorly written profiles/IM's/emails more often than not actually speak in the same manner, and that's a turn off for me.

Each to their own I say
 venus_143
Msg: 566
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:01:07 PM
KUDOS. to you "curlygrl~" !!!!

and yes.......by reading bad grammars and wrong spelling and still get the picture?....thats smart

ButterfliesLuv
Msg: 567
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:18:33 PM
I can accept a typo here and there..... but, no offense gentlemen, but many are bad spellers! However, you can tell which ones have absolutely no education!
 robfactor777
Msg: 568
Posted: 6/26/2008 10:38:53 AM
I'm sorry "Aperfectlifeforme" you are missing the chance to speak and interact with some truely special and talented people, simply because like me they have a dodgey 'T" key on there lap-top key pad. I have sent emails to some people without performing a quick proof read hit send only to later find many belmishes in my normally correct grammar and spelling. Perhaps a little more tolerance and you may unearth an engaging pen-pal worth corresponding with?????????
 discoguy
Msg: 569
Posted: 6/26/2008 11:17:10 AM
no i think it's a good indicator. if you are the type of person who is bothered by that stuff you probably wouldn't get on with someone who isn't. smart people generally want to date other smart people. looks fade, dumb is forever.
 GLAMAZON_61
Msg: 570
Posted: 6/26/2008 1:45:15 PM
WOW! Some of you may want to "spell check" your profiles? I read a few and some have mistakes! Some of the best people I know are bad spellers and a few can't do simple math to save their lives. But they are GOOD PEOPLE AND WORTH HAVING IN MY LIFE! I guess to judge a person because of their spelling one needs to be perfect......That leaves me out of your mix...
BAD SPELLERS OF THE POND UNTIE!!!!! I MEAN UNITE!
 witchyplus3
Msg: 571
Posted: 6/26/2008 4:35:37 PM
what is up with this,grammar,mispelled words are we basing people really now on how they spell! welcome back to elementary school!
 superdrew
Msg: 572
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 6:42:53 PM
cak_student, the OP's post is not about perfect spelling & grammar. No one is perfect, apparently not even you or I, what with our 'decimel' and missing hyphen gaffes. That's beside the point though.

What the OP is referring to, and what bugs me as well, is when someone's correspondence is consistently shoddy with no attempt to check it. Ditto for the person's profile blurb. Why do we care? Because it is a reflection of the person's general standards. It's like combing your hair & brushing your teeth each day. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if it's chronically neglected then ... bleah.
 Stringbeen
Msg: 573
Posted: 6/27/2008 7:04:07 PM

I know I shouldn't be so picky about it;but, people who email me with very bad grammar and misspelled words turn me off. Is this an indication of how they communicate in person? Is this being too critical?

Hell no it isn't too critical! It turns me off also. I think I even wrote about that in my profile. I can bet some guys think that's being too snobbish.

There was this one dude on here who was a contractor, do not recall his username. He im'd me a few months ago and he had this profile with atrocious grammar and spelling. He actually told me that his daughters made the profile. But I don't think so. I even spoke on the phone with him...............even more of a turn off. I don't know what I was thinking. But any dad who would blame his own kids for his bad spelling and grammar is a jerk! I mean, what the hell!? Don't these guys even know what it looks like? words like....."their" and "there". I can make a list of the common misspelled words on profiles and other stuff that people make. It's sickening.
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 574
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 6:10:25 AM
However, I'm a guy, so most of those deficiencies will be offset by a good photo.

I am a guy, too, and have to say that the use of English is important to me. A good photo does not compensate for to/too, your/you're mistakes.

I don't think it's as much a matter of "no education" as it is of "poor education." I blame our school system that has taught generations of children that "being creative" is more important than "being correct." I look at applications from many of those high school "graduates" in my line of work and am appalled at the poor use of the language. And the teachers of today were the students of the past, the ones who learned that using proper punctuation and spelling isn't all that important and all they have to do is smile pretty.

Wrong. Pretty does not compensate.

*in*spired
Msg: 575
Posted: 6/28/2008 7:47:16 AM
They'res a gurl ho emales me every day who admitedlee duznt spel so good, but not tarable and I think she's a one der full person. She relyablee sends encoraging wishes and I hav no dowt she cares for me. What a sweat hart she is and I nevr want her to stop. She is definately mi frend and speling meens nothing.

Oh, ya, how many of you will admit to using spell checker?
 chiclets5
Msg: 576
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 8:17:48 AM
I really hate it when people cannot be bothered to use spell check. You are right, it IS a big turn off. I am a horrid typist, and do make typos, but for my profile or first contact, I do my best to make sure I re-read my letters. And sure sometimes things still slip by! Face it, what we write on our profiles or in letters is how we are representing to others until they get to know us better. If a person cannot be bothered to care how they write for public consumption, chances are they won't care about others things as well. Many times I will ignore contacts with really bad grammar or spelling but if they have a nicely written profile, I will chalk it up to hurried typing in the contact note, and give them a shot.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 577
Posted: 6/28/2008 8:24:59 AM

The occassional spelling mistake, or grammar error, doesn't bother me.

But if someone messaged me with terrible spelling and no grammar, or using textspeak, and I had to struggle to read their message, I likely wouldn't respond.
Perhaps they're a very poor speller, or perhaps they just don't make any attempt to compose a real sentence? Either way, I'm not interested in corresponding with them.

Unlike others, who may be here to find people to date, I'm here to meet friends for email correspondence.
For me to enjoy correspponding with someone by email, the person has to be capable of compossing a coherant sentence.

There's no point for me to correspond with someone who writes like this:
"waz up, wot ru doin 4 weekend. I am go 2 c sum frends"

That person would likely get easilly bored with my full sentences, just as quickly as I'd get annoyed with her inane textspeak.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >