Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 superdrew
Msg: 603
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 25 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)

... terrible spelling and grammer ...

... it is indicitve of how ...

etc.

Now, I'm seeing misspelt words in this thread. I wonder if they are genuine mistakes, or if the writers are trying to be ironic.

Drew
 PoeticBliss
Msg: 604
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:35:36 PM
You know, for me I don't respond... I can't help it, but my B.A. is in English Literature, and I'm a published author .. .so for me, the written word is sacred.
If a man botches is too much I write him off asap.
I don't need a man to be the next Hemingway, but I do need him to pay attention to his grammer...
Poor spelling, for me, reeks of poverty and low-self esteem...
On the other hand, if we're IM'ing or texting .. I don't expect every word to be perfect all the time --- but again, it's that attention to detail that shows you he's someone who cares about himself and how he presents himself in the world...

Now with sounding elitist-- I must offer this final addendum; there are some incredibly famous actors, for example, out there who can't write for beans amongst a list of other
talents ...
 Dayfriend
Msg: 605
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 12:17:00 PM
Wow, to me anyone that hung up on grammar can only be viewed as shallow. So feel free to be left to your own kind in the dating pool, have fun. After all, I don't judge anyone because they can't multiply 10 digit numbers in their head, or balance their checkbooks without a calculator just because the other half of their brain is underdeveloped by learning experiences.

Yeah your right, sometimes it is laziness. But the fact is how much is really just extra effort needed. For example, I was shot in the arm 20 years ago in a robbery attempt, and my tendons leading to my wrist and fingers are a jumbled mess. So, I have no choice but to type with 3 fingers on my hand that are basically numb, making typos quite common and frustrating. If given the choice of being judgmental and superior over others(even though I'd still like to see some grammar Nazi try to work out a few algorithms for me) as opposed to open and receptive to all thing by deeper inspection, the choice is pretty easy for me.

P.S.- This whole paragraph had over a dozen typos and mistakes needing correction.
Yours truly,
Sub Human Typist
 Ur Xoxo
Msg: 606
Posted: 6/30/2008 5:53:37 PM
Some people can write, read, use an erasure, white out, add a spell check button, get somebody else to write for them... but we all can not be the perfect writer.

Just maybe we are next to perfect with some other talent... try and guess mine.

Reminds me of my father. He says, ' I've never met anyone perfect, but I also have never met anyone better than me'. Really brings the point home. Which is if we put ourselves on a pedestal, how can we bring ourselves to the level of lowly people and learn humility.

The son of a
horrendous speller
and superb people skills,
Ur.
 UR 2 girls away from 3sum
Msg: 607
 Soccer4Ever
Msg: 608
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 7:49:59 PM
Attraction is paramount - everything else is secondary. I'm willing to bet anything on this.

For most women - if Brad Pitt/Tom Cruise/Insert any name you find hot here write to you, would you care about his his grammar? I think we all know the answer

Why kid ourselves? If men/women are attracted to someone, we will usually put up with a 100 faults. If we are not attracted to someone, no matter what kind of fantastic, grammatically correct prose he/she writes, we will probably not respond back.

:)
 Skykiss
Msg: 609
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 8:43:36 PM
I think there's a huge difference between typos and just don't care. If someone messages me with 90% of the letters missing, that's a huge turn-off; I shouldn't have to dechiper what I'm reading.

"i thnk u hot wana c me"

umm, no thanks.

"wat u don 2nit"

nothing with you.
 LIONHEART444
Msg: 610
Posted: 6/30/2008 8:51:57 PM
Yes bad spellers like me dose mean they don't have things far pass the normal mind can't even think of about doing

Yet they get laugh at knock down from dates they look for on the net but when they make their projects global everyone eat their words.

Another words forrest gump use to say never judge a box of choclates until you know whats inside. My uncle who work for Walt did his designs for him the small world everyone laugh at him too Walt did not wonder why?
 Jazz-Fan
Msg: 611
Posted: 6/30/2008 9:13:23 PM
I believe the issue goes far beyond "just don't care". More fundamentally it's a failure to understand why it might even be important to "care" in the first place. In other words, things like poor spelling, grammar, and so on are simply superficial expressions of an appalling lack of literacy in modern North American society, especially when compared with standards that used to be taken for granted half a century ago and which now would characterize a relatively small portion of the population. In turn, illiteracy is intimately connected with a profound level of ignorance, which is expressed in an abdication of social, civil, and political responsibility. That's why I care about these sorts of things, and why I wouldn't be very interested in communicating with someone who doesn't understand or share my views on the importance of being literate.
 molly__blooming
Msg: 612
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 10:07:32 PM
in answer to:

personally, i care alot about grammar and spelling and yes -- i immediately delete e-mails i get if they are sloppily written or carelessly done. i feel this way: take the time to do it right if you want me to take interest. (ps: i am an english teacher, btw. :-))

ps: jazz-fan, i completely agree with all the sentiments you expressed. excellent comment. (and btw, i tried to e-mail you but can't because of your age restrictions. too bad. had wanted to get in touch. :-))
 Jazz-Fan
Msg: 613
Posted: 6/30/2008 10:41:21 PM

ps: jazz-fan, i completely agree with all the sentiments you expressed. excellent comment. (and btw, i tried to e-mail you but can't because of your age restrictions. too bad. had wanted to get in touch. :-))

Try again :)
 Jazz-Fan
Msg: 614
Posted: 6/30/2008 10:57:44 PM

Yes bad spellers like me dose mean they don't have things far pass the normal mind can't even think of about doing

Yet they get laugh at knock down from dates they look for on the net but when they make their projects global everyone eat their words.

Another words forrest gump use to say never judge a box of choclates until you know whats inside. My uncle who work for Walt did his designs for him the small world everyone laugh at him too Walt did not wonder why?

I rest my case.
 serenityCW
Msg: 615
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 10:59:56 PM
one of the smartest people i have ever e-met on pof, cannot spell "for Sh--t"!* this man's mind goes so fast that the ideas just flow forth from one to the other and his fingers cannot keep up, i suspect. i too have that problem at times. but like he, i try to check my words while posting. when emailing back and forth privately, however, i guess we assumed that the other one was smart enough to figure out the misspellings. after all, it's the thought(s) that count!

* this is a brooklyn expression, don't get all huffy and take it personally!
 Leagueofextraordinarymen
Msg: 616
Posted: 7/1/2008 7:33:07 AM
That's why I had two secretaries, they corrected my grammar and spelling. Words I always misspell; thier, rember, usaully, becuase, siad and often use their /there in the wrong context along with many others. I can read it 10 x and it still looks right to me.

I just sent two messages with misspelled words and a few grammatical errors to women that said "they would not respond to such messages" they both responded.
 Violet Tigress
Msg: 617
Posted: 7/1/2008 9:43:40 AM
There are some words that I almost always misspell, too. Certain things get on my last nerve, though. A few misspellings in a letter that actually has something to say is forgivable. Someone who can't tell the between loose/lose, or there/their/they're isn't going to get a response.
 molly__blooming
Msg: 618
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 8:25:47 PM

Try again :)

oh jeez jazz-fan, you've got other restrictions that won't let me through to you. it seems this connection is not meant to be made, unfortunately.

you can mail me, if you like.

in grammatical solidarity ;)
~merf
 abelian
Msg: 619
Posted: 7/1/2008 10:07:35 PM
Some people can write, read, use an erasure, white out, add a spell check button, get somebody else to write for them... but we all can not be the perfect writer.

No one was born knowing how to read, write, spell or anything else. It's not a matter of ``can.'' Anyone without a profound learning disability ``can.'' It's not a matter of perfection, either. There are more choices than perfection and haphazardly throwing misspelled words together. It's a matter of desire and taking the time to do it right. We aren't talking prize winning literature here.
 CutTheCrapola
Msg: 620
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:28:08 AM
Yall know this is the internet,right?
 Violet Tigress
Msg: 621
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:01:14 AM
Yes, the internet!
Haphazardly throwing a bunch of gibberish out there is perfectly fine. Oh, how silly of me! It doesn't matter anymore, does... looking like an iddioe has no effect on your credibility.
 indehills
Msg: 622
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:05:41 AM

Oh, how silly of me! It doesn't matter anymore, does... looking like an iddioe has no effect on your credibility.

Speaking of spelling, what's an iddioe?

Anyway, you can download a plug-in for Internet Explorer, or just use FireFox, and either will spellcheck everything that you write before hitting the "post" button. I'm sure there are ways to make them check grammar, too, the way most good word processors do.
 Violet Tigress
Msg: 623
Posted: 7/2/2008 1:15:31 PM
Safari has a spellcheck, too. That only works if you use it. Most people just don't bother checking for spelling & grammar, or typos before hitting post- like with "iddioe." After that, there's not much you can do, if you don't notice it soon enough to edit. POF doesn't give you a preview option.
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 624
Posted: 7/2/2008 8:52:47 PM
I wonder how many of those who claim they don't care that some people can't spell would have an attitude adjustment moment if.....say....they were the victim of a crime and the person who typed up their police report (or the cop who submitted it) spelled certain words incorrectly. How seriously do you think the court would take a legal document full of spelling errors? How far do you think an aspiring author would get if his book were full of bad spelling and grammar? He wouldn't even get published, nevermind actually selling any books. Who'd want to read such a book? Not me. Do you think you'd get that dream job if your résumé were full of misspelled words and grammatical errors? How about a medical report containing the results of a biopsy or some other procedure you had? Do you think you'd be more upset about having (or believing you have) dysphagia, dysphasia, or dysplasia? Oh, but it's just bad spelling so it doesn't matter, isn't that right?

This includes correct and accurate punctuation as well, i.e., there is a new federal law regarding Medicare patients and how much therapy will be covered for them. They get "x" amount of dollars for Speech Therapy, "x" amount for Physical Therapy, and "x" amount for Occupational Therapy. Oh, but someone forgot a comma, so the way the law stands now is they get "x" amount of dollars for Occupational Therapy and "x" amount for Physical Therapy and Speech Therapy combined. So if your loved one has a stroke and cannot swallow anymore, they now will only get half the amount of Speech Therapy they would have otherwise been covered for, all because someone who didn't care enough to be accurate forgot one little comma. Sucks don't it?

It doesn't matter whether one is naturally a good speller or whether one has to work at it. What matters is whether one cares enough about being taken seriously, having some credibility behind his or her words, and putting effort into what you write and present to others with the expectation of being understood. Effort to make sure it's correct, accurate, and reflects you in a positive way. I think that anyone who claims they don't care would have something quite different to say if someone's poor spelling or lack of caring about accuracy were to affect them personally.

There's your reality check ~ don't spend it all in one place.
 billinmi
Msg: 625
Posted: 7/2/2008 9:26:56 PM
I am much worse typing in IMs than letters. I hesitate to respond to women that type "careing" instead of "caring", but then realize I am hardly the perfect typist.

I have a college degree, but I also have dyslexia when I am tired.

After a good string of typos, always caught AFTER I hit enter. I am just honest..."I can spell FINE, I just can't type". Then at least my humor might save me.

But I doubt I would throw away a potential good thing over some spelling or grammatical errors. Depends how she talks in person. Afterall, once married just how many emails will you be sending each other.

If not compatible, I'd give a BETTER reason than that she could spell or type.
 impactyou
Msg: 626
Posted: 7/2/2008 9:38:52 PM
I don't like it either but if it's any consolation, I have a sister who has very bad grammar but she is very intelligent and articulate when she speaks. I think it definitely speaks to the level of education.
 CutTheCrapola
Msg: 627
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 9:41:15 PM
This is a message board for an online dating site. Yall take grammar online(ie plentyoffish) way too seriously. If anyone can comprehend what a person is typing,then what's the problem?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >