Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ur Xoxo
Msg: 753
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 31 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
It's very simple, really; because they don't care. There's a saying in my field that applies here as well: You can fix "can't", but you can't fix "won't".

I could not agree with you more. Except that I would add, changing our behaviour is always possible. Although, fixable with varying degrees of hard work on the perception of what we see or not.

Can't do this, whether it is spelling, abiding to rules of grammar or seeing past others failings, suggests the lack of proper learning tools. With the right tool(s), the process of learning changes the can't to can.

Won't do this, suggests obstinate behaviour. This is much harder to fix. It usually requires an epiphany.

dsertrhino writes:

She's an articulate, intelligent, artistic, and wonderful person. She does try, using spell-check whenever possible, but it rarely catches the grammar issues or homonyms.

Exactly Spell Check is for spelling not for sentence structure or other grammar issues.

Hats off to those who can see beyond the written word when it comes to the character of an individual.
 GYPSY*QUEEN
Msg: 754
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 7/13/2008 9:27:58 AM
I appreciate when ppl understand that my misspellings are due to poor eyesight..and do not make an immediate judgement about me..I have a MAsters in English and my messages often look like a Gr 2 child as the sight is going
 superdrew
Msg: 755
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 10:32:04 PM
I read a profile today in which a lady said she wasn't good about writing about herself, "so please bare with me.". It sounds like some kind of suggestive pun!!
 coolrivergoldens
Msg: 756
Posted: 7/15/2008 7:22:32 AM
I feel the same way. I paid attention in english class. I use correct punctuation and spelling. I do expect someone who emails or contacts me to do the same.

I get frustrated trying to decode "text talk."
 iluvnutella
Msg: 757
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2008 7:37:47 AM
i would never reply. its just encouraging bad grammar.
 fox_fire
Msg: 758
Posted: 7/15/2008 8:28:32 AM

i would never reply. its just encouraging bad grammar.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

paulie 100
Msg: 759
Posted: 7/15/2008 8:34:33 AM
if the spelling & grammer is not too bad then yes,maybe thats the reason i dont have many mails on this site ,!!!maybe i should just write in german:-)
 olds.cool
Msg: 760
Posted: 7/15/2008 8:47:25 AM
I HAT DAT TWO (I DOONT USLY GYV DEM TYME OFF DAYE).... YU GOE GYRL: DOONT SETL.../ YU DUSWERV DA BEEST DERE IS.
 dcspartan
Msg: 761
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:02:43 PM
Never. It really shouldn't take that much effort to correct most obvious spelling or gramatical errors. I'm not saying it has to be English class perfect, but an effort is nice.

And the phrase "how r u" gets an automatic delete!
 Eon Blue
Msg: 762
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:10:04 PM
Absolutely not...I take the time to make sure my messages are well thought out and articulated well, and if somebody cannot, or, will not, give the same in return then they are not worth the time...
 rockinchris
Msg: 763
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:35:03 PM
Bad grammar will be annoying, as there's not excuse for asking is u into dat muzak, and other obscure concoctions, but spelling, well, I admit that with spell check my knowledge of which words have double letters has slipped :P. Or the people that spell before b4, u, and ur, and all that, well, there are worse things in life, and if they're really interesting, why let something so small get in the way.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 764
Posted: 7/15/2008 2:05:20 PM
ha ha ha ha....all I can say is, sometimes I do it when I am typing to fast and in a hurry, but it can be a turn off for me as well. I had a gentleman e mail me the other day, 10 out of 28 words were spelled wrong ~ what crossed my mind was, how does this guy write out a check to pay his mortgage? And other things cross my mind as well...just general things people should know how to spell.

:)
 DreamDancer44
Msg: 765
Posted: 7/15/2008 2:13:45 PM
I'm not too critical. If someone misspells a word or a few words as in,
"Diferent" [leaving out one letter] it could mean the keyboard didn't register the other F or just a simple mistake. If someone made an error as in,
Hapoy [instead of happy, the O is next to the P on the key board, simple mistake] then I look past the mistake. If I'm interested I'll still reply.

If someone has completely butchered a word, I cringe but usually look past it. If someone butchers more then one or two words depending on how long the message is then it's a possible no response.
If they use net talk as in,
"U lok gr8", forget it. I ignore it and move on, no response.
 chrissyfit
Msg: 766
Posted: 7/15/2008 2:44:15 PM
no, this is not overly critical, it is common sense and internet etiquette. First impressions only happen once, whether via internet or face to face. it is no different than showing up to a job interview dressed like a slob, smacking on gum, and expecting to get hired. NEXT!!!

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

...nope, i'm right there with you!!! there appears to be an apostrophe missing.
 elgambitero
Msg: 767
Posted: 7/24/2008 7:00:05 AM
Do people really care that much about bad spelling?? You have got to be kidding me.

You people need to take a break. Seriously.

Ugh. I wanted to sit and bite my tongue, but I can't anymore.

First, I ask the question. Why do we have to write 'you' instead of writing 'u'.

Who says we have to? Mrs. Jones, your 6th grade English teacher who made you diagram sentences? Your parents? Your grandparents?

Why can't we just change it to 'u'. That would save us time, right? 2 less letters every time we write it. And, it is a popular word.

People have to realize some things. Of over the 6,500 languages in the world (well that number can fluctuate based on how you classify something as being a language.SOME of those languages are not written. So, grammar technically has nothing to do with writing, it ONLY has to do with speaking, more specifically, with syntax (language structure) and morphology (internal structure of words).

So only in some cases does this matter. It matters to us now, why? Because we are on a dating website and everyone has their own likes/dislikes. But think about it, how many times have you ever had to actually read what your SO writes? Have you critiqued an essay? Probably not.

Why does grammar exist? Because somewhere along the line, a bunch of 'academics' got together, agreed on a set of rules and now a 'grammar' exists. Many times they were a commentary on what was happening at the time, but often they try to 'correct' what is happening by doing it prescriptively.

Also, think about it. Can you understand something written in Old English, or even Middle English? Maybe you can understand a bit, but for the most part no. That is because grammar 'evolved', possibly based on the development of a new grammar explicitly, or because over time, things do change, much to the chagrin of the general population.

There is a time and place for good grammar (newspapers, academic writing, etc), but if someone misspells a word wrong, give me a break. Also, remember that homonyms do not exist in some languages, but do exist in English. Many of the times, homonyms will eventually change since in writing, you mix them up once in a while. Most of the mistakes on the site are these, when someone writes 'bear' instead of 'bare' etc etc. It happens, seriously take a break.

For all of you who are picking on people for how they spell, keep in mind that if they are in their mid-late 20's, they may have been taught something in school called 'Whole Language'. Whole language was an attempt to make kids learn how to spell and read by not explicitly correcting what they said, but rather by just letting them figure it out on their own. Good idea, right?

The consequence was millions of kids not really knowing how to read and write. Instead of memorizing that a letter could be pronounced several ways, they just tried to memorize the whole word. It resulted in lots of kids coming up with dyslexic tendencies, and my ex girlfriend was one of these. She is incredibly smart and can talk anyone under the table, but her writing skills are atrocious. It is of no fault of her own. After generally around 12 years of age, you pass the critical age of language learning, and for the most part, what you've learned before that time is now ingrained and very difficult to change. She actually retaught herself to read and writer, but still has certain troubles, just as a non-native speaker of English would.

Another thing. For those of you making fun of people's spelling. You are simply ignorant. Who the hell cares? Are you such a great speller?? Who cares if you are. English has one of the worst orthographic spelling systems around. So someone can memorize a few words and how they are spelled better than someone else? Aren't you special. Learn another language, like Spanish for instance, and no one gives a damn if you are a good speller, BECAUSE EVERYONE IS!!! That is because Spanish is mostly a one sound/one letter orthographic spelling system.

Anyone want to talk more about this, I'd be more than happy to oblige! And enough with making fun of people's slang already. I hate to say this, but you watch, and in 100 years, some of those slang spellings will change English.
 snakebite58
Msg: 768
Posted: 7/24/2008 7:06:39 AM
Men cannot spell! In general, anyhow. But the bad grammar is something else.
 Long_Island_Man420
Msg: 769
Posted: 7/24/2008 8:07:36 AM
I beleave that you should give them a chance. Lets face the reality that not every one in this world is an english major or a writer. case in point ME...

I am an engineer, i have a great job and based on academics achivments most people would say that i am a pretty smart guy. ya my spelling sucks as does my grammer and my hand writing is even worse on the other hand my math and sience skills are outstanding.

so becuase i cant spell your not going to date me I find that to be insane.

If you were out in a bar or any where else that one might meet some one do you bring a pen a paper to give some one hitting on you a spelling test or have them submit a paper on what they like about you so you check his or her grammer. hell in most relationships that start outside of the internet realm you may never even know that your significant other that you had been with for years ever had a spelling or grammer issue.

the bottom line is spelling and grammer do not refelct on some ones inteligence nor does it make them any less suitable to be your partner. it just meens you have to help the kids (if and when you chose to have them) with thier english home work.

PS yes i could have used spell check but I not submitting a term parper or a report to my boss. i left them (the spelling/typing/grammer mistakes) becuase it really does not change who i am as a person or how smart i am.

PPS I went to MIT for my engineering degree and I have two learning disabilities. disgraphia and dislexia.
 ...rosie...
Msg: 770
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 5:40:52 PM
when i come across someone i want to contact (and indeed i do occasionally) it's not about their grammar or spelling, but about the lightness of their spirit....not too many light spirits around here though...think i'll go back to the poetry thread....
~rosie.
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 771
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:18:45 PM
so becuase i cant spell your not going to date me I find that to be insane.

No, because you can't spell (or refuse to exert the effort to use spell check), you won't get as many responses to your emails. How is it you expect to get a date if your lack of effort turns a lady off?

If you were out in a bar or any where else that one might meet some one do you bring a pen a paper to give some one hitting on you a spelling test or have them submit a paper on what they like about you so you check his or her grammer. hell in most relationships that start outside of the internet realm you may never even know that your significant other that you had been with for years ever had a spelling or grammer issue.

Well unfortunately for some, this is a forum in which writing, spelling, and grammar do matter because your words are the first impression you make on someone. If you don't care enough to put your best foot forward, why should anyone care enough to exert the time and effort to respond to you?

It's amazing how those of the "who cares" mindset conveniently ignore the bigger picture of why some of us care about this issue. It's about much more than spelling...maybe some people need to revisit the thread and enlighten themselves a little more.

i haqve found sometimes its not the person its the computer making the errors seen it happen more than once so give people a break

I give people breaks quite frequently. The people I don't give breaks are those whose emails are so poorly written that I get a brain ache trying to decipher them. Those of you who can't spell should be giving those who have to read your words a break. It's a two way street!
 JohnSeven
Msg: 772
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:22:25 PM
Am I correct in stating that the word "sexualty" is incorrect? lol

as in the sub-forum named "Sex and Sexualty Issues"

shouldnt that be "sexualIty"
 dogandcatlover
Msg: 773
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:29:26 PM
i haqve found sometimes its not the person its the computer making the errors seen it happen more than once so give people a break
 kurdboy
Msg: 774
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:56:10 PM
i no english, speaking can you explain what was or what is the subject? any one in no english iam poor english, so i need girlfriend, so i chat for grill friend,, please sorry sorry , no ENglish iam kurdish good, speak , arbiac sepak good , but english no good, me, my gram is good, i ty hard to find white american girrl it is hard for me no one chat with me , beouse iam not good english, iam 4-6 month in POF no date , iam rich, iam US citizen I dont need green card,

Bye Please emile me if you single,,,,,WHite, over 34 years Old ,,,,,,wooman only glirss, only thanks

i am
 elgambitero
Msg: 775
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:27:22 PM

It's amazing how those of the "who cares" mindset conveniently ignore the bigger picture of why some of us care about this issue. It's about much more than spelling...maybe some people need to revisit the thread and enlighten themselves a little more.

Yes some people have a problem with that, and it is okay. But what is the bigger picture? I'm really curious . If someone wants to write in shorthand, let them.

Do you want me to critise for for saying 'wanna' instead of 'want to'. I know plenty of people who are terrible typers and writers, but could talk you under the table anyday.
 AVulcanRider
Msg: 776
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 8:21:37 AM
Very Well Put Curlygrl !!!!!
And I'm soooooooooo glad it came from a woman !
So many of these women here say they're not looking for the perfect guy , then they do everything they can to reject someone . I think that's why they're single .
Now I better go before I misspell something , or put comma in the wrong place , or don't use proper spacing .
 AVulcanRider
Msg: 777
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 8:32:55 AM
You must have not taken Instant Messenger 101
Use as few letter as possible to get your point across .
I've never seen so many picky uptight people .
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >