Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jeffbfun
Msg: 808
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 33 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
nexthyme your a genius.I was reading your theard and wow you hit the nail on the head.I've been texting my 10 year old daugther for about a year now,and pretty much forgot how to spell.If there that shallow than they need common scenses,then they'd have a prefect world.
 funkyredhead
Msg: 809
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:19:04 PM
i we tad dit i sofaking we tad dit
 zestyvirginia
Msg: 810
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:20:18 PM
Good manners never go out of style but tell a little white lie and say you have met someone.
 Someone Worth It
Msg: 811
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:26:09 PM
The first thing that crosses my mind is maybe English is not their first language so I will E-mail them back to find this out.
 lovemyself61
Msg: 812
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:53:01 PM
they are spammers. I have had trouble with two man while back, that's how they wrote.

Someone told me that's how you can tell by their spelling.
 SimplyAmazing1969
Msg: 813
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:53:17 PM
I just had to respond to this. It is such a turn off when you read an e-mail or a profile with so many words spelled wrong. It is something to be picky about because there is a thing called spell check. I also think they just don't proof read what they write before they send it. One example of what I saw was a guy who wrote thair which should have been there, my g/f and I were LAUGHING OUR BUTTS OFF :)
 poly_1der
Msg: 814
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:03:48 PM
I'm more picky about grammar and spelling than just about anyone I know! However, having said that, I should also say that I have actually met one or two of these people who've sent me messages virtually filled with misspelling and grammatical errors, and found, to my surprise, that they were actually very intelligent...just not extremely literate. Their messages come off as grade school level intelligence, but when I spoke with them in person, they really did much better! But the grammar was still a problem for me (even though they did seem much more intelligent than their emails would show them to be) with one of these men, so I changed my mind again, lol.
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 815
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:43:57 PM

Grammar=structure
Spelling=spelling

They are not the same.

I think most of us are quite aware of this, but thank you for pointing out the obvious. Still, they both matter.
 worldchild
Msg: 816
Posted: 7/27/2008 3:09:14 PM
whoa, curlygrl! re: "if you want to meet a Rhoades Scholar then I suggest you join a site which caters to the well educated." I'm not here to find a Rhoades Scholar but somebody who doesn't get all pi22y when I know something he doesn't. It's not an ego thing, it's just a fact that I happen to be very intelligent. The dealbreaker isn't whether the guy is equally intelligent, but whether he has to ACT like he is (and I have to go along with it) because he's a guy.

Right? So here's date Z, guy with a degree, giving me this whole long spiel on Stalin, without ever bothering to ascertain that I knew far more on the subject than he did (I wasn't mean. I dropped a few hints - 'which biographies have you read?' - which he ignored. So then I just gave up and listened politely.) Or the nice guy who promised to "explain" Greek mythology to me when I'm "ready." (I must have been ready when I was nine, because that's when I learned most of it.) I'd much prefer a guy with an eighth grade education who doesn't feel diminished by learning something from a woman.

That being said, sooner or later the nice guys with lousy grammar and spelling, for the most part, tend to cop an attitude toward me much like the one you're showing. If you're short and you stand next to a tall person, you feel shorter. If your lack of education bothers you, then dating me is going to make you feel inadequate. To paraphrase Shrek, it's not me that has a problem with poor spellers, it's the poor spellers who have a problem with me.
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 817
Posted: 7/27/2008 3:37:43 PM

To paraphrase Shrek, it's not me that has a problem with poor spellers, it's the poor spellers who have a problem with me.

I think there is a great deal of truth in that statement.
 NJreporter73
Msg: 818
Posted: 7/27/2008 4:40:31 PM
I might politely decline their message. Many times I can't bring myself to respond. Small mistakes are okay. But chronic misspellings and atrocious grammar are massive turn-offs. At least to me.

A lot of people get a little careless when it comes to writing email, IMs, text messages, etc. A common excuse is that they don't like to write or that it doesn't matter on the Web. Well, it DOES.

I know I am very judgemental about this. It astounds me that someone will read that I am a journalist and writer and STILL think I won't be annoyed by such things.

Ultimately, each of us has a comfort level about these things. For many others it just doesn't matter. To me, it is a definite reason to say, "No thanks."
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 819
Posted: 7/27/2008 5:18:35 PM
It depends what you mean by bad grammar and misspelled words. If they wrote a whole paragraph and have a couple words misspelled a big word and forgot an e, or in an uncommon word switched the i & e around.

I think it's one's writing style that can be a turn on/turn off. If it was written with no punctuation, then I would be turned off. Not into someone with their head in the clouds.
 good guy75
Msg: 820
Posted: 7/29/2008 12:09:50 PM
what happends when you get a man who spells well and he cheats on you.i think you should be worried about other things.i dont spell well so i stay away from women like you because thats a bit wiered worrying about that.i have my masters in edgucation dont figuire plus i am retired at 32 dont figuire know tell me you want to know the wealthy me or the one who cant spell.your funny as hell do you do more comedy.i am not trying to hurt your feelings i am a nice guy,but with all this stuff going on in this world your worrying about spelling.i bet if i took you for a cruise around the world spelling would be the last thing on your mind bye.
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 821
Posted: 7/29/2008 6:23:59 PM

what happends when you get a man who spells well and he cheats on you.i think you should be worried about other things.i dont spell well so i stay away from women like you because thats a bit wiered worrying about that.i have my masters in edgucation dont figuire plus i am retired at 32 dont figuire know tell me you want to know the wealthy me or the one who cant spell.your funny as hell do you do more comedy.i am not trying to hurt your feelings i am a nice guy,but with all this stuff going on in this world your worrying about spelling.i bet if i took you for a cruise around the world spelling would be the last thing on your mind bye.

1) A man's proclivity to be faithful or unfaithful has nothing to do with his ability or inability to spell.
2) I don't think I'd care to know you either way, but thanks anyway.
3) No worries, my feelings are intact.
4) What on Earth makes you think I'd want to go on a cruise around the world with anyone, let alone you?

Uh, yeah....buh bye
 chevygirlinal
Msg: 822
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2008 6:29:35 PM
I won't not talk to someone just because they have bad grammar or misspelled words. We all do it. It does tho (and yes I know I spelled that wrong but that's just how I spell it), annoy me when it's a constant thing. If you can tell a person just plainly has never taken an English class ....it just irritates me.
 ScotsIrish66
Msg: 823
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2008 8:12:18 PM
Eye sippose et deepends un howe baad the speling and gramer our. Ewe no wot eye meen?

Some words spelled incorrectly aren't such a big deal. Some grammatical errors aren't such a big deal either. Flagrant errors in both can be a turn-off. I'm sure you aren't the only one who is bothered by such gaffes and I'm sure others could care less. such is life - there's no right or wrong in it - it's just individual preference.

Personally - I'm more tolerant of poor spelling than I am of lousy grammar.
 MizMoose
Msg: 824
Posted: 7/29/2008 8:26:30 PM
Oh my gosh! Here's one of MY pet peeves too! I'm okay with mistakes in grammar or spelling as long as the message isn't FULL of them. As long as the person appears to be normal and the message is mostly correct...that's alright with me. No one is perfect. Perfect is gross! : )

One poster mentioned something about Nigerian scams...that's exactly what I think when I see a long, lovey-dovey message that's chock-full of mistakes. It's annoying!
 MizMoose
Msg: 825
Posted: 7/29/2008 8:32:12 PM
I forgot the whole point of that reply!

NO, if the email is crammed full of mistakes, I usually don't respond.
(I rate personality and intelligence a wee bit above how someone looks. : D )
 Honesty Here.......
Msg: 826
Posted: 7/30/2008 1:01:20 AM
WOW its realy great most people are so anal about spelling & gramer but, yea ANAL is the word.

I have no problems saying I am a horrible speller I also spend a lot of time on this site kicked back in bed in a dark room & I am not real sure how many mistakes are spelling or just stupid typos.

It really is a hot topic though yet there is no spell check box at the botom of this message to check it real quick so ol' well gives everyone a very educated way of telling other how much better they are then the other person,

Get over it come on 30 some freakin pages. Wow this is so one of the "DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF THINGS"
 ahron9985
Msg: 827
Posted: 8/2/2008 12:46:10 AM
i try not to judge people, but i kind of get this urge to choke anyone who uses the word "supposably" instead of "supposedly". of course, there's the chance i'm just a grammar nazi ;)

Yeah or there is a chance you are just an uneducated and way-too-fussy person. The word "supposably" is not even incorrect. You will find it in some dictionaries, two examples are the "Random House Unabridged Dictionary" and the “American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language”.

Cheers, :)
 Honesty Here.......
Msg: 828
Posted: 8/6/2008 12:42:41 AM
Why?

Does spelling = intelligence

Are you willing to miss out on someone just for that?

Is everyone who send properly spelt and proper grammar = Smart, good person & better then others.

Are you sure that is how the person is or were they maybe tired or in a hurry?

It is really hard to figure out the truth especially if you never give them a chance.

You might be cutting your nose of despite your face.
 ~sierraleonme~
Msg: 829
Posted: 8/6/2008 5:29:23 AM
let's remember folks - the words A LOT are 2 and not one- I detest emails that are filled with alot.
OR the common mistake of "between you and I" --- no- it is "between you and me"

let us all either write as adults or go back to school.
 ...rosie...
Msg: 830
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2008 5:36:28 AM
'let us all either write as adults or go back to school....'
or embrace each other's spirit.....and not sweat the small stuff...

(it's funny that you say that...i'm a school administrator...i'd say intelligent and successful...but am typo queen...thank god i have great secretaries!!...but when i'm on the threads or sometimes sending a pond mail i do make mistakes now and then...and if that bothers you...then it bothers you..but it doesn't bother me...)

i guess it's whatever floats our boats...
rose.

i don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.....
mark twain
(now this guy had spirit!!!)
 pikins2
Msg: 831
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 5:21:04 PM
Dont say a word about it. I know many very whelthy people who have been to college and dont get into the spelling game. If you can figure it out why would you try to make someone feel bad about spelling. come on people English is the hardest language to learn and spelling is not a breeze. Besides this is the internet who cares....
 lisainnnow
Msg: 832
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2008 3:02:18 PM
I often get emails from men who either use "all small letters" and/or lots of words spelled incorrectly. Honestly, it is kind of turn off and makes you wonder about their IQ. That said....we all misspell words now and then..don't we? lol I t ry not to be too critical.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >