Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 amberzamber
Msg: 859
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 35 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
Some of the most kind, wonderful people I've met can't type to save their lives....Those of you who would dismiss someone based on TYPED grammar etc, should keep right on doing that! You save those of us who screw up a lot, from wasting our time meeting you....

Have you forgotten that email etc is a TYPING skill and not a window of a person's intelligence?…it may simply mean they aren’t on the computer much and can’t type….So are we going to start asking people who email us what their Excel & Windows skills are so we can knock them off the list? How about an algebra quiz before we meet?

I knew a woman who slept with every single guy she went out with (and at the time I met her that number got to be around 56) and she also cheated on her husband for the first three years of their marriage with his beast friend, (all stuff I found out after we started hanging out) she was extremely over weight, and had zero self-esteem (DUH) yet she would dismiss and delete emails based in ‘i” instead of “I”….it’s one thing to not care for the ‘WAY’ someone expresses themselves, but to be a grammar snob? Well most everyone I’ve met who does that, does it because it’s one thing they have that makes them feel superior to other people when they have nothing else going for them….….

Personally I should have posted this message before putting it into Word, because I had about 15 misspelled words....In fact I may have just misspelled the word 'misspelled' but do I give a crap? LOL
 skylark42
Msg: 860
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:29:02 AM
Of course I respond! I reply to all my emails (well except the ones that just say "hi, wanna chat"!).

I don't judge people on their typing skills - many men type with two fingers only so they must find it hard to type accurately. Some people are dyslexic (did I spell that right?). Typing, spelling and grammar are not indicators of intellect - it is the content of the message that I am interested in. As long as he has something interesting to say, I don't care how bad the typing is.

I admit I am probably a bit anal about the accuracy of my own typing. That is because I used to type Wills for a living and if I made a single mistake I had to start all over again (no corrections allowed in a Last Will and Testament).
 EagleEric
Msg: 861
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:39:33 AM
Your grammar, syntax, and punctuation ain't too hot either. I'd bet your spelling isn't perfect.

In any case, I don't care to associate with morons, and I have found that women (and men) who can't write simple correct sentences usually fall into the stupid category.

The Eagle
 1cute1
Msg: 862
Posted: 8/22/2008 8:30:32 AM
I've won many spelling bee awards, was an honor student, made dean's list, and I would still take a good heart over a good speller any day! We give what's in our hearts. Who cares how we spell it!?! It's no wonder some of you can't find anyone on POF. You need to go hang out at the library or some place where the "smart" people hang out. lol
 amberzamber
Msg: 863
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:46:07 PM
Ahhhh the arrogance continues for some….almost every person I’ve met who can’t type were still very intelligent, (Once again, we’re not talking about being able to form a very well structured sentence in person, this is a TYPING or COMPUTER skills issue) however every person I’ve met who judges people on this so ridiculously, have 100% been self-righteous in most every aspect of their lives….

itsmekenny
Msg: 864
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:54:16 PM
anybody can have a bad day, or a bad week, or a bad month. and that includes doing something as simple as typing a message. don't be so picky about it.

kenny
 Violet Tigress
Msg: 865
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:58:08 PM
Inability to type something as simple as "How are you?" when contacting a stranger for the first time is just half assed & lazy. Other errors could very well just be typos.
 PickMe_PickMe
Msg: 866
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:10:57 PM
I try to take into account if perhaps English is a second language for them.
I don't not reply but I do tell them they are not my type. Because they aren't.
Really I have learned that someone who can not spell to a grade 6 level has very little to say to me that I will find interesting. If that is mean I'm sorry. If you are looking for someone to spend time with you have to be able to talk to them and you want to have some admiration or respect for them as well.
 mrmyrtle1975
Msg: 867
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:19:49 PM
I find it funny how bad the grammer and spelling is of some of the people that say they would not respond to a poorly written email.

When I email somebody my current mood shows. If I am in a rush and good mood and scatter brained I might just blast out my feelings and thoughts and never proof read it and hit send.

If I have time I might proof read it and fix things. I think some people are way to hard too please.
 Billorjenky
Msg: 868
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:30:04 PM
As a RN, surely you know that the average DR can write or spell worth a s--t!! Give the guy a break. He is able to communicate; you are able to understand what he is saying
 mr2happy
Msg: 869
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:32:40 PM
>>> If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? <<<

Noap!#@
 FortyFine44122
Msg: 870
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:54:18 PM

Yes Tigress youre so right. If you make an effort, you learn the language.
Have you ever been on a holliday? I mean abrod? Trying to figure out what people think of you? i guess not
I hate to disappoint you, easyrider64 , but really I spent 40 years abroad of US, which means English is my second language.

I didn't try to be sarcastic toward you but I don't like when people so easy find an excuse to not learn. I understand that English is your second language as well, but it appears rude for me when you live in English-speaking country and offer people to compete in your language.

You live in this country - you better speak the language of the country you live. I know that many people who were born here speak English very poorly, but they still don't have to speak your language unless they gonna live in your country.

I want to assure you, I tried to learn German and French. The last one I found most complicated to learn because you have to remember EACH word in male/female meaning, not just rules. My first language is Russian, but I would never complain that's too hard to learn. Because I've learnt it in the age when learning was a game.

Ohh, and answer your question, I did travel other countries. I don't care what people think of me....I always get along with people even if don't speak their languages. There are such things like smile and willingness to communicate.
 Just_me919
Msg: 871
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 12:43:49 AM
It is only a minor ordeal I think. Just as long as I'm able to translate it. But everybody has a pet peeve I guess. I'll take common sense and wisdom over grammer and spelling anyday of the week.
 skylark42
Msg: 872
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 3:54:17 AM

I'll take common sense and wisdom over grammer and spelling anyday of the week.
Good for you. Me too. In fact I've decided to include more slang and txtspk in my messages just to weed out the ones with a poker up the fundament!

Ur da man, Just me919. (Btw, you spelt 'grammar' wrong. lol!)

Your grammar, syntax, and punctuation ain't too hot either. I'd bet your spelling isn't perfect.
To whom is this addressed? The OP hasn't visited this thread since 19 November 07.
 rod30
Msg: 873
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 4:44:42 AM
sure i respond
but in Japanese
私輪ロドルフォ
Rod
 nordiclovely
Msg: 874
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 5:09:09 AM
I think most of us have worked out that you are not AN English teacher!
 testingdawaters
Msg: 875
Posted: 8/23/2008 5:15:27 AM
Well I met in two guy in person with bad grammar.
One was well spoken and deep thinking gentleman. The other was not.
So it's 50/50.
 fox_fire
Msg: 876
Posted: 8/23/2008 7:33:54 AM
Well after 35 pages of "grammar wars", I noticed that even the best of you seem to spell the very word "grammar" wrong.
Is there no justice?
 Dancing Gem
Msg: 877
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:47:30 PM
Evev though I have 2 grad degrees, I still make typos.
If subject and verb do not match, if the man uses explatives, slummy words for female body parts AND spells those words incorrectly"I love big beasts but a tight Virginia is mor impotent) lol.. well, you know he is uneducated and crass.
You woulld avoid him in any case
If someone wrote ther instead of there, draems intead of dreams.. and THIS matters, then you are erudite, pompous, as enderaing.. no LESS endearing than Chas Emerson Winchester the 3rd, and not a fun poisson.
Know the diff beteen a typo and a stupid person!
 Dancing Gem
Msg: 878
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:47:47 PM
If subject and verb do not match, if the man uses explatives, slummy words for female body parts AND spells those words incorrectly"I love big beasts but a tight Virginia is mor impotent) lol.. well, you know he is uneducated and crass.
You woulld avoid him in any case
If someone wrote ther instead of there, draems intead of dreams.. and THIS matters, then you are erudite, pompous, as enderaing.. no LESS endearing than Chas Emerson Winchester the 3rd, and not a fun poisson.
 marytd
Msg: 879
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:53:09 PM
If the person emails me and he has a lot of bad grammar I kind of disregard
him as a potential. We would not be compatible if he wasn't able to write a
mailable letter.

Sorry, education is attractive.
 Bikeman_
Msg: 880
Posted: 8/26/2008 8:10:30 PM
I ain't not e-malling nobody who ain't capeble of not mispeling words and ain't using right gramer. Where wuz they learned, an outhouse insted of a skoolhouse?
 superbadzzz
Msg: 881
Posted: 8/26/2008 9:46:29 PM
if someone emails you and cannot do calculus, do you respond?
 serenityCW
Msg: 882
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 10:08:18 PM
one of the smartest pof'ers i know is a computer wizz, but he can't spell for beans. da-n straight i respond! his brain rides a mile a minute. i love the ride. but i guess i have a bit of ADD myself!
 abelian
Msg: 883
Posted: 8/27/2008 12:06:03 AM

Being educated is not the same thing as having gone to school. A person with two grad degrees ought to recognize the need to proofread. What's the problem with inproving your writing skills evey time you post or send email?

Occasional typos are ok. Stupid persons are not.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >