Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 anthonyj25
Msg: 909
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 37 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
nicely said curiousncreative. what most people dont like the fact is that they actully understand or know what the person is saying no matter how they spell it, its common for people to mis-spell or what not but they have no clue as to why people mis-spell or short cut on a few words. they just judge people cause of there typing, dyslexia is one reason they mis-spell, they spell it how it sounds to them but it dont mean its how they talk in person.
modern day = text short cuts its easier for alot of people to spell. everyones scared of moving with the times. each to there own and that proably made no sense at all but oh well.
get over it
 curiousncreative
Msg: 910
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 9/13/2008 8:06:56 PM
Thanks Anthony. Its true about the text short cuts in this techno, fast-paced world, I've done it myself but kept it to the barest minimum. I think most people's gripe is the first impression given by the initial email? but because, by necessity, the reader's perception is so limited there's a tendency to magnify smaller issues out of all proportion ie incorrect grammar and spelling. Unless they have a pedantic nature then you're stuck! I think text speak is understandable by mobile/cell but for email, there's a keyboard in front of you, 10 fingers at your disposal (unless you're a 2 fingered typist ), it's not too hard to punch out a few letters here and there that spells out the full word.
 abelian
Msg: 911
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:51:00 PM

Have you forgotten that email etc is a TYPING skill and not a window of a person's intelligence?…it may simply mean they aren’t on the computer much and can’t type….

That is ridiculous. Typing fast and typing the right letters are not the same thing. If you can't spell or you can't write a gramatically correct sentence, then all you have left to use in attracting someone is your looks. That's okay unless you complain about it. A typo here and there is one thing. Complete lack of concern for making a good impression is quite another.

So are we going to start asking people who email us what their Excel & Windows skills are so we can knock them off the list? How about an algebra quiz before we meet?

Actually, I assume that anyone with any intelligence could figure out how to use software and not call it a skill. I would also hope most people can deal with simple algebra.
 chritter
Msg: 912
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:54:12 PM

For nearly ten months, and spanning 37 pages thus far, many have debated the issues, but few have answered the question. Yes, I would reply!

You see, I am no better, and no worse, than the next individual. How I choose to present myself to others is as simple as a choice. It is merely courtesy and polite manners that I exhibit when I choose to respond to someone who apparently thought that using their time and effort to reach out to me validated the whole reason I put myself in the spotlight by creating a profile here in the first place. Surely, each attempt to connect with an individual is sometimes awkward, yet definitely worthy of some form of a response, even if it's "Thanks - but No Thanks". To merely disregard an individual because we do not agree, or we are not impressed by their choice of self expression is nothing but rude, disrespectful and inconsiderate. It's as though we have discounted their existence because they choose not to present themselves polished and professional. At the very least, each one of us is worth the minimal response of a simple keystroke!
Sometimes names and words are intentionally and satirically misspelled for a rhetorical purpose, or to provoke a response. Punctuation aside, spelling and grammar are high on my personal list of pet peeves. We are on the internet people! Every resource is at our fingertips, and answers are available at lightning speed! If you are not sure, look it up, or use a different word that you are sure of. There really is no excuse for spelling the word grammer, when you really mean grammar! Mixing up words like there - their - they're / your - you're / personal - personnel / hours - ours / mixing up words that end ..ance or ..ence.... I could go on and on, but I won't! Ultimately, you decide!

Don't let a magic, once in a lifetime opportunity evade you while you're picking nits! Reply, at least once, no matter what...

......///\\\......Please
.....///..\\\.....Put This
....///....\\\....On Your
...|||......|||...Profile If
...|||......|||...You Know
....\\\....///....Someone
.....\\\..///.....Who Has
......///\\\......Died Of
.....///..\\\.....Cancer
....///....\\\....Or who may be suffering from it
...///......\\\....OR A SURVIVOR!!!
 german chick 1968
Msg: 913
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:18:07 PM
OMG .
I better stop the forums then , if I get single again, I will never get a date again , all because my spelling is suck ....
wow is that what the op is telling me ??????
A man will look at my profile and out the window I go ????
better get a secretary then ...
that is just a bunch of hoags wash realy . You will judge a person by some typos ... talking about being shallow here .
JMO
I have to go and buy me a wenster now
 TakeMeTheWayIAm
Msg: 914
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:21:32 PM

aperfectlifeforme: "I know I shouldn't be so picky about it;but, people who email me with very bad grammar and misspelled words turn me off. Is this an indication of how they communicate in person? Is this being too critical?"

I respond to everyone who emails me (except the site administrator for those announcements). I'd feel rude if I didn't.
 MrRight351
Msg: 915
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:32:48 PM
Not only do I respond, I let them know what they misspelled !
I try to be tactfull about it but it actually pisses me off.
I saw one womans profile that said she was very " inteligint".
She also misspelled compassionate , energetic , you're , beach
and 7 other words. I'm surprized she spelled her name right.
This is not uncommon , I see it alot.
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 916
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 12:48:28 PM
I read this once: "well I had the same experence with them just try to fine where to cancell your membership but I called my bank and told them that it was not and authoried purchase and that toke care of it"

Everything inside the quotation marks is a direct copy/quote, including the lack of any periods in the run-on sentence. It's painful to read. So if I got that from a woman, would I respond? Why?? Would I date her? Would you date her?

Our education system sure does suck.
 Steel Phoenix
Msg: 917
Posted: 9/28/2008 12:58:41 PM
I absolutely will respond to them. I am more interested in them as a person than their writing ability.
 Mostly_Angel
Msg: 918
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:05:58 PM
I will respond, but unless I see something in their profile that really intrigues me I will let them know that I don't feel we have much in common. I place a high value on education and I'm looking for someone that feels the same way.
 Teddi bear-me
Msg: 919
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:11:18 PM
I would have to give people a chance -no one is perfect,therefore a few spelling mistakes can be overwritten -
 waterviewtoo
Msg: 920
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:17:22 PM
I'm not going to read all these posts as the few I skimmed just made me feel bad.

Let me instead offer this, Cher, Disney, Steven Jobs, Edison, Patton, Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Branson, Sir Winston Churchill, Scott Adams, Bell, Henry Ford, and Whoopie along with millions of others have dyslexia.

Good thing Jefferson, Einstein and Kennedy didn't have to look here for friendship and dates.
 sparklyshell
Msg: 921
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:21:12 PM
If it is obvious the spelling or grammar mistakes were typos or just little mistakes I will still reply.

However, if you sent me a 'msg dat luked lyk dis'? NO. No reply for you. Ever.

I loathe bad spelling and grammar in general though. If your message resembles something a drunk four year old Llama could write better then don't hope for a reply from me anytime soon!
 lestergass
Msg: 922
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:11:41 PM
man, 37 pages of this stuff, & silly me mentioned spelling in my profile. here's my two cents worth. guys that have worked with their (pretty sure thats the right their) hands their entire lives don't have a lot of experience spelling words they have been using their whole lives. the purpose of speaking or writing, is to communicate, if that is accomplished, the rest of the rules & regulations is bull...t to me. having said that, i would say punctuation is more important than spelling, because that tells the reader more about how the text is meant to read than any of that i before e stuff. but, i still use spellcheck so i don't look like a moron. i tend to use a lot of lottas, kindas, & gonna, 'cause that more closely resembles speech to me. not using caps seems more informal, plus it's on less key to hunt for. being as the whole computer thing is new to me ,(typing too) this thread (new word i just learned) has helped. maybe i'll reconsider the "gonna" & caps thing.
 lestergass
Msg: 923
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:16:40 PM
damn, i misspelled one & left out a comma.
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 924
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:25:07 PM

A financially successful charismatic street smart man who emails misspelled words and bad grammar is very Sexy to me....

So sexy and unique!!! Wish he would understand that 100000000 is eight zeros behind 1...
 cooladrenalin
Msg: 925
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:39:56 PM
No, you are not being too critical, all caps turns me off as well.
 returningoftheprodigal
Msg: 926
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:40:31 PM
It depends on the circumstances in my opinion. Some of the people who contact me do not have English as their first language. If this is the case I am usually flattered that they would even try to communicate with me in my language. It would be easier for them to just move on to the next profile and ignore me. I actually find the cute little mistakes that people who are not typing in their native tongue make to be quite charming and sometimes even sexy.

Also, one should not equate grammer and spelling with inherent intelligence. There are seven types of intelligence and very few of us have all of them. Someone who many not write well might be brilliant at dealing with electronics, have extraordinary althletic ability, be musically gifted, etc. Sometimes the content of the message is more important than how it is structured. That having been said, there is such a thing as spell checker and maybe people who know their written communication skills are not top notch should make more use of that before messaging others or posting on forums. It can leave a bad first impression to submit a post or send a message where even the simpliest words are misspelled and the contextual format is so wrong that it is nearly impossible to decipher what the person is saying.

In the end it comes down to personal choice. If proper grammer is important to you then maybe texting with someone that cannot spell or form a coherent sentence is not right for you.
 Jac Biker Gal
Msg: 927
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:50:54 PM
I find bad grammer irritates me slightly more than mis-spelling and I do allow for a few mis-spelt words or typos, but if their message is riddled with them and bad grammer then I think it is a fair indication that they maybe not be very intelligent and I have to say for me I want someone I can converse with, I like and enjoy using the English language and can't stand the laziness of not using it properly, the only acceptable time for that is in text or IMs. So if their message is poor English or lots of text speak I tell them sorry I'm not interested, but I don't usually read/delete because I consider that rude, I think everyone is entitled to a reply if they have made the effort to message me in the first place, even if it's just no thanks.
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 928
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:27:51 PM

one should not equate grammer and spelling with inherent intelligence

But one's grammer and spelling level should equate with his education level.
 Mostly_Angel
Msg: 929
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 5:17:27 PM
Actually, if someone claims to have a graduate level education, is native to the US, but can't seem to spell or put a sentence together using correct grammar, I assume they've posted a bogus profile.
 Simply_Because
Msg: 930
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 5:38:22 PM

'm not going to read all these posts as the few I skimmed just made me feel bad.

Let me instead offer this, Cher, Disney, Steven Jobs, Edison, Patton, Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Branson, Sir Winston Churchill, Scott Adams, Bell, Henry Ford, and Whoopie along with millions of others have dyslexia.

Good thing Jefferson, Einstein and Kennedy didn't have to look here for friendship and dates.

Unless ninety percent of people on this website are dyslexic then I don’t think it’s the problem. Besides, dyslexia isn’t a permanent condition and can be alleviated with the correct learning and teaching methods. In actuality, people with dyslexia should be the ones most concerned with the correctness of spelling and grammar on this website as they are the ones who are going to suffer the worst when trying to read broken messages.

I don’t want to talk too profusely on the subject but I would like to create a comparison between dyslexics and paraplegics: if you lost the ability to walk (or never had it), would you lie down in the street and tell people to carry you or find ways to live around your condition independently?

I truly believe that anyone can use a spellchecker. It’s the poor speller’s wheelchair and should be used by anyone who doubts their spelling. Grammar can also be checked but it’s a more difficult subject to learn and I’m happy (usually) as long as people don’t make obvious or purposeful errors. It doesn’t help anyone to ignore the basics of grammar and leave out things such as capital letters and full stops, or to use sequences of commas instead of periods for ellipses; these are simple and obvious errors which can break up sentences and confuse a reader. If you’re writing so that others may read your efforts, it’s in your best interest not to confuse them.

The main reason for the poor spelling and grammar by the patrons of this website is laziness. Everyone here has the ability to write correctly but most do not. Instead of using spellcheckers, practising the basics of grammar and taking time to read through their messages before submitting them, they choose to pass the responsibility of comprehension on to their readers. This might be fine to begin with but it quickly becomes tiresome and, as the messages on this thread suggest, a lot of people are going to decide to ignore the messages altogether, eventually or immediately depending on their level of patience.

I would also like to add that typing ability is not a valid excuse. If you managed to log on to the Internet, find this website and register to use it, then you can certainly replace an incorrectly typed word for a correct one. No one will thank you for it but no one will ever create a thread titled ‘If someone emails you with correctly spelled words and good grammar, do you respond?’ either – hopefully.
 cashu
Msg: 931
Posted: 9/28/2008 5:48:44 PM
sorry i,ll go jump off a cliff right now . i feel so bad. but not so bad that i,m going to capitilize the first letter in every sentence . o well
 returningoftheprodigal
Msg: 932
Posted: 9/29/2008 1:47:20 AM
Not necessarily if they were educated in a country whose standards are not the same as ours. I have three degrees by the way and have met some formally educated individuals who are book smart but have absolutely no common sense. Do not equate book learning with success since some very successful people have succeeded without benefit of continuing education. Intelligence is not learned, it is an inherent trait present at birth. Of course, some waste it by refusing to do anything with it while others make the most of it but it would be wrong to assume that just because you have not made written communication a priority in your life that you are lacking in intelligence.
Posted: 9/29/2008 2:02:17 AM
If there is a homeless guy and he isin't super hot should I give him a dollar?? its kinda like that, unless you realy think it's important because your career and lively hood depends on how your b/f writes and talks. I dont know maybe it's importnat to some people but, personally I think there are worst things to worry about
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >