Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shopgirl1952
Msg: 934
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 38 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
NO that drives me insane
 blackheartedwoman
Msg: 935
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:12:46 AM
Absolutely not. I can handle no punctuation or capitalizations, but if he is just texting me through email or IM...I don't have an interest in that type of relationship. I would like to know that we can have a conversation without needing the texter's dictionary to decipher half (if not all) of the conversation. I am serious. We all know how to read and recheck our spelling before we hit the send button. Even during the IM's you don't have to send right away. Take the time to spellcheck and then send. Accidentally mixing a couple letters up is one thing but IMO TXT is LAZY and mizspll thinz on pirpis is evn worse.

If you think I was worth the time to email. I would expect I am worth the extra effort of spell check.
 vrb1955
Msg: 936
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:40:13 AM
We all make mistakes Even the over educated who don't have a lick of common sense types. Text messaging has become so popular that people have relaxed their writing skills.

If you want to express an interest in someone keep the Webster's on hand or learn to use spell check
 Knittin Kitten
Msg: 937
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:41:11 AM
I sure am happy to see that so many of you feel the way I do about this....You can imagine what it does to me...an EDITOR.....I actually cringe. I try to be understanding, as several of you have mentioned....English as a second language is difficult...sometimes even as a FIRST language. Text talk is LAZY.....

I send out too many " Thanks, but no thanks....I don't see where we have enough in common to begin exploring a relationship." A few errors here and there, but I agree with the posters who mentioned that spell check is always nearby and people only have ONE opportunity to make a FIRST impression.

However, I must admit that it goes a long way in assisting me to find the foreign scammers...(may they never get smart enough to remove all their obvious errors).
Again, if they have stated that they are a "Native American"???? and have a Graduate Degree, I expect, at least, the ability to converse in readable English, and/or the intelligence to have their writing translated..... Personally, I don't think they KNOW what a real "Native American" is. It's definitely not, born in Italy and raised in England...

I don't see any little red lines in here, so I guess I've corrected all my errors....Even as an Editor, I'm not perfect! But, then again, at MY age, I only have to be an 8...10 is not necessary anymore.

Fondly,

KNITTIN KITTEN
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 938
Posted: 9/29/2008 10:53:17 AM
I do care about the first message that someone sent to me. The interesting thing is that many men send out a very simple message constructed by a few sentences that include bad grammars and misspellings. I never suffer reading this kind of messages, deleting them is the best thing I like to do.
 kychas
Msg: 939
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:17:31 PM
Some persons do not have a lot to say, or my not wish to "go on" with the subject for a full paragraph to get the point across. If you limit the ones that you will respond to by first judging them from a few words in a message in the forums or a first contact email massage then you may be limiting your contacts to those who are very good a typing and not much else.
 chesher 38
Msg: 940
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:30:53 PM
A Beautiful Russian Gal writes to me all the time and she sends really great Photos too!!!

Her Spelling is 100% PERFECT !!! She just has NO CLUES how english is spoken, so even though her spelling is PERFECT, I have NO CLUES as to weather she wishes to screw me to death, or she wants me to show her the town...
 lighthouse lady
Msg: 941
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:36:30 PM
I received a HORRIBLY misspelled initial contact from a man, times two. He obviously forgot that he had already emailed me.
Since it was obviously a 'cut and paste' first response, I 'cut and pasted' it back to him, after fixing his numerous grammatical errors.
I told him to please save that version, and use it in the future.

StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 942
Posted: 9/29/2008 7:26:00 PM

I told him to please save that version, and use it in the future.

I do believe that someone sends out a long message that may be a "cut and paste" version. He can send the version to everyone.
 chesher 38
Msg: 943
Posted: 9/29/2008 7:48:35 PM
Everyone was created equil, some are Great Looking, and others are very smart, some are FAT, some are Tall, I don't care if she's a Cluts,Can't Spell,Eats Crackers in Bed,or even if she Snores like a Lumber Jack, all I ask is that she be happy with me...

Complaining only serves to push potential Mates away, have we not been alone long enough ???
 exrescue
Msg: 944
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:02:49 PM
Well not every one can an expert. Like me some may not have taken typeing,and may not be the best spellers. So dose that mean im less of a person for it? Dose that mean i would not be a good mate ,friend,or potential love intrest. I hope that i would not be that anal about the world around me. But that just my thoughts on it.
 exrescue
Msg: 945
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:10:44 PM
Some are schooled far beyond their intellect .
 The Unforgiven
Msg: 946
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:11:16 PM
I do respond, because I understand that grammar and orthography don't come easy to everybody, but if a guy goes the extra mile using spell check to send me an e-mail I definitely add a couple of good points to his chart. (But I have to admit, it kind of bothers me that sometimes I write better english than people that claim to be engineers or doctors, when I didn't go to school here and have been communicating in english for no more than 8 years...)
 wizardofossington
Msg: 947
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:20:04 PM
I have sent emails and posts with misspelled words, but thats because I forget to proof read, not that I can't spell. Sometimes my grammer isn't so great too. Nobody is perfect....Although if they don't want to respond for that reason. I say they are missing out on the gretatest gyu in teh wrodl!!!!
 2 chance
Msg: 948
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:22:46 PM
If I read a profile with misspelled words or bad grammar , I pass on by , that's no being picky , just being realistic , you want from others what you would expect them to want from you.....I also pass on profiles that always have the same old cliches " walks on the beach " , " meet for coffee " and so on , Give me a break ! give a profile some thought , how can you expect to " find " someone , when you can't even talk honestly about yourself ?.........
 russian prince
Msg: 949
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 10:34:39 PM
I hope not Im a VPO of a big company and I cant spell I can read well and Im a math guy but spelling poorly is just spelling poorly I think Im a great busness stratagist and I know Im a wanted man in my field so Please dont wright me off to fast.
 ORCAANNA
Msg: 950
Posted: 9/30/2008 8:50:11 AM
doesn't bother me..... as long as he is teachable!!! No, if he can't do simple math with his checking account, that could be a MAJOR problem. You see, my accounting skills aren't the greatest either.
 Unique FingerPrint
Msg: 951
Posted: 9/30/2008 8:54:18 AM
Can be irritating but some cannot type... me... I get in a hurry and there is no spell check on here.. I hit the send button to quick......... and yes it bugs me when they cannot spell right or type and email me. Double standards.
 DORKSRULE!
Msg: 952
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:09:52 AM
I know that I personaly have becum "THE" biggest offender of ur subject!!!!! Even worse when it cums to handwritting~ I say go easy on em.....
It is what is in their HEART and SOUL that matters!!!!! Dont u think? ie: U have just receive dire information...u have 20days to live...will it matter that they misspell words and have bad grammar...and yet they are there for u...until the very end?
I hope that I helped in sum way.... take care!
 Raging Heart-on
Msg: 953
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:17:14 AM
What's in the heart and soul doesn't mean diddly if the person comes across as an uneducated country bumpkin !

BeerShark
Msg: 954
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:21:58 AM
I think of myself as an inteligent person, but I am lost with out my tattered old Random House dictionary, and my typing skills suck! So you am I to judge another so superficially?
 SweetSmartNSassy2
Msg: 955
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:37:23 AM
A lot of men are poor spellers, but that doesn't mean they aren't quality guys. If, however, the entire e-mail is nothing but misspellings and horrible grammar, I'll usually delete or send a "thanks but no thanks" reply. With spell check and old-time dictionaries available, there's no good reason to send poorly spelled missives.

As for usage - "their" instead of "there" or "they're, " "your" when "you're " is correct - that's plain sloppiness on their parts. Yes, English is a confusing language but if it's your first language, you should know the difference between words. I've received e-mails from college graduates with these minor mistakes and all turned out to be terrific men.

Sometimes it's pathetic. I was contacted by a man on another site and when I read his profile, I wanted to cry for him. It screamed of loneliness and longing for a person in his life. He ended it with: "I just want a frend......"

I also cringe when I get an e-mail where "u" is substitued for "you" and 'r" for "are." Plain laziness and that's a huge turn-off!
 trish7
Msg: 956
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:42:43 AM
For all of us typists out there, there are also people who use the "hunt and peck" method. I can type 90 wpm with the rare error, so it's a breeze for me to correspond. However, I've yet to program a computer and would loathe for someone to think less of me because of it.
 dancing/shoes
Msg: 957
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:45:35 AM
What rubbish to judge someone on spelling, but if thats Your standard stay narrowminded you will limit some wonderfull people you'll never know, based on typing, so what, yes i could see if someone wrote in a horrible fashion that Could be a potential problem and the key word being COULD. I Speak Read And Write in 3 languages(though not fluent in the other 2, more #2 than# 3 being Spanish, English being my Mother tongue. Speaking is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more Important than Writing thats the whole Worlds base for communication, always period! And im a avid reader, in fact i hate the style of most of the books i read because people over do Words with no meaning and say too much of the same thing over and over agin in there books- But in person they may or may not speak real well
 carnal-sins
Msg: 958
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:49:19 AM
As long as it isn't the majority of the message and they have something interesting or intelligent to say and they aren't rude, I'll respond. I know, there's typos out there, but if you spell like an uneducated hick, I'm not going to respond. If it's a "u r so hot" or a "hi whats up?" I won't respond to the "u r so hot" emails, because if you can't bother to put it in a real sentence, then I can't bother to respond. (And, I'd much rather be pretty than hot!) ;) If it's a "hi what's up?" I will look at their profile and determine if it was just a quick message or they just don't care about first impressions. I for one do, because that is the impression someone will always have of you. Better to make a good first impression than an indifferent one.

<3Tila.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >