Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dancing/shoes
Msg: 984
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 40 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
opps i should have said W e cant hear you speak,i never get a date with any Wordsmith Women on here
 Janet4ever
Msg: 985
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 10/1/2008 12:56:16 PM
I guess someone's personality and thought process is more important to me than their writing skills.

I realize in this venue it is all we have to go on... which is MAYBE why those lacking in personality tend to flock and stay here where they can shine.

Bravo.
 KLSpang
Msg: 986
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 12:57:13 PM
I doubt that anyone on here is saying that our opinions on the matter are the golden rules, but our opinions were asked and we have a right to them. Yes, a guy can be really foul mouthed in person but write like a saint online. The point is that I would be more apt to meet him and maybe go on a first date with him BECAUSE he made a good first impression. If after meeting him, I realize he's not what I want, then fine! But this IS the first point of contact. THIS is the way that people have chosen to meet other people.

Put it this way: if you see two people of the opposite gender in a mall, and they look exactly alike, but one has taken the time and care to look presentable, and the other doesn't seem to really give a hoot, which one would you find more appealing?
 dancing/shoes
Msg: 987
Posted: 10/1/2008 2:18:07 PM
Well i agree we ALL were asked our opinions and sure you and everyone can express that(we all know that) Howver i dont see opionions i see judgements with some of what you"s (lol) . I could write i wont date Women who cant kiss good( most can"t ) from my experiance which is fairly broad in races and ages, but people can learn to do better(sometimes if giving the chance)
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 988
Posted: 10/1/2008 2:29:54 PM

...but our opinions were asked and we have a right to them. Yes, a guy can be really foul mouthed in person but write like a saint online. The point is that I would be more apt to meet him and maybe go on a first date with him BECAUSE he made a good first impression. If after meeting him, I realize he's not what I want, then fine! But this IS the first point of contact. THIS is the way that people have chosen to meet other people.

What a mature young girl!!! I just don't understand why some people argue about their bad grammars and misspellings that seem not a big deal... How could lacking basic communication skills lead to build a good relationship? Using languages is a big difference between human beings and animals. Some animals look handsome but don't speak any of languages. Then being handsome isn't meanful.
 1234rml
Msg: 989
Posted: 10/1/2008 2:37:03 PM
It is not an indication. I prefer to go by what they are trying to say... not their spelling.
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 990
Posted: 10/1/2008 2:51:24 PM
Honestly feel that it takes thought to write well and is an indication that the person is not someone that jumps into things without thinking. Run on sentences do not impress me and I know that a person that would write this way is not for me. The same as an ill thought out photograph. (You know the people that make up excuses why they don't have a decent photo, no time, etc. but yet are on here posting and trying to date.)

I know the men I have met that have written in complete sentences, good grammar and spelling, and have also made sure they were appropriately dressed for the dates. They were well prepared. It is someone that is not educated that feels the need to use inappropriate words, slang, swear words, etc. Educated people normally know what is and isn't acceptable.

You want to represent yourself as a lazy azz, go for it. There are enough word processing programs to check your spelling and grammar. I don't want to date someone that thinks he is ok when he obviously shows me he is lazy. Been with lazy, done with lazy.
 thelout
Msg: 991
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:34:58 PM
Awl youse gurls r so pettie about speeling. Just coz a man speells pourly dont meen he is a fool. It just meen he has knot had the privledje of a grete edukasun.
Pleeze dunt pik on me coz of my gramma coz I am jist a pour old ozzy lad woo lives in da bush wit da kangerooz and wombuts.
I can speaks rully weel wen youse meat me. Socomon gurls gimme a call an massage me back
 golfmz
Msg: 992
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:46:31 PM
Grammar is huge to me. I don't think I'm a snob, but if you tell me you have graduated and have a degree please be able to spell the most simple of words. and using "i" as when it should be "I' makes me crazy.
 Divinity
Msg: 993
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:52:51 PM
I don't respond to internet slangs
 Ms woman
Msg: 994
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:59:05 PM
Your being a snob, and descriminating againt people who are not as able to spell as you are. Im sure people who cant spell have other qualities you might look at.
 BOT TAK
Msg: 996
Posted: 10/1/2008 5:29:34 PM

Awl youse gurls r so pettie about speeling. Just coz a man speells pourly dont meen he is a fool. It just meen he has knot had the privledje of a grete edukasun.
Pleeze dunt pik on me coz of my gramma coz I am jist a pour old ozzy lad woo lives in da bush wit da kangerooz and wombuts.
I can speaks rully weel wen youse meat me. Socomon gurls gimme a call an massage me back
I am pretty sure that was a joke...but be careful - it will be shown on your profile
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 997
Posted: 10/1/2008 5:52:33 PM

plus beginning a sentence with the word "and"?

Why couldn't you start a sentence with the word "and"? And I digress
Firefox is a wonderful browser for spelling challenged people. It is free, you just have to download it and when it underlines a word, guess what, it isn't spelled correctly. You only have to download it once. I don't know, maybe people are that lazy.
 sanderick
Msg: 998
Posted: 10/1/2008 6:00:56 PM
I would much MUCH prefer to see a few misspellings, instead of street slang and ebonics.

I have worked with plenty of people that can spell just fine, but are terrible typists. So they adsolutely rely on spell check at the end. These people are smart, educated, just lazy typers.

So I would never judge someone on their miss-spellings. But street slang and ebonics are an automatic block, for the sake of my sanity.

I feel even reading that sort of drivel, lowers ones intelligence.

xoxo

circe 1
Msg: 999
Posted: 10/1/2008 6:04:39 PM
No I will not respond. Poor grammar and spelling are indicative of a person's level of education, and I will not date someone who hasn't attained a high level.
 lilsparky
Msg: 1000
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 6:06:49 PM
No, I paid dearly for my education and expect the same from my friends or potential friends. In my view, it shows a sign of laziness or lack of caring. The dictionary is not quoted as often as the Bible.
 Hertime2
Msg: 1001
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 4:26:02 AM
I live in South Florida, you meet many people for whom english is not their first language. Spelling and grammar are not an indication of their lack of education. So I always check before I automatically assume they are illiterate...
 kathareeene
Msg: 1002
Posted: 10/2/2008 4:36:46 AM
I FEEL badly for folks with poor grammar or spelling. It isnt the best foot forward to type to someone a hello with mispellings HOWEVER i am no better than anyone else so yes i would give them a chance. I personally type ' quiktype' N IM sure to some it may appear that i cannot spell but peeps r verrry wrong to assume so. I am a typist by profession and a PROOF READER ..so if they choose not to hang with me because of my spelling n such then thats THEIR bad
kathi
 ...rosie...
Msg: 1003
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:56:25 AM
it's not how the words are spelled that interests me...but simply, what the words say...

english is a second language for a friend of mine who is a physicist...and he is brilliant..but most people wouldn't know my reading his emails...

honestly, each to their own...whatever floats your boat..whatever makes you happy...that's what i'm thinking at least...rosie.
 dancing/shoes
Msg: 1004
Posted: 10/2/2008 6:40:55 AM
Well said ( a Rose is a Rose) & Kathareeeee. Or should i say well Written.
 psssst
Msg: 1005
Posted: 10/2/2008 6:46:38 AM

Firefox is a wonderful browser for spelling challenged people. It is free, you just have to download it and when it underlines a word, guess what, it isn't spelled correctly. You only have to download it once. I don't know, maybe people are that lazy.
I place a far higher value on people's ability to take the time to spell correctly... misspelt words on forums and in emails are not nearly as high of a priority to me as grammar for spelling challenged people.

I also find it petty to constantly harp on others when no one is perfect...

Cheers all...
 Renaissance Man 1950
Msg: 1006
Posted: 10/2/2008 6:47:36 AM
In terms of the OT, it all depends on what she looks like. Some things, like intelligence, are flexible, whereas others, like physical attractiveness, are absolute musts. So, if a thin, long haired, sensual woman wrote to me, I'd reply. If an unattractive nuclear physicist wrote, I would answer as a "friend", but nothing more.
 James_in_SD
Msg: 1007
Posted: 10/2/2008 7:38:45 AM

So I always check before I automatically assume they are illiterate

You carry a literacy test around with you?
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 1008
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:39:59 AM

Im sure people who cant spell have other qualities you might look at.

I do believe that one's "intelligence" is limited when he or she spells "intelligence" into "inteligence"
 Plastic Sturgeon
Msg: 1009
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:53:42 AM
I've always thought that it wouldn't matter and I wouldn't judge a person
as critically as the omnipresent spelling and grammar police on here.

However, I have had it happen, and it IS MOST ANNOYING!

Poor education is one thing, but there is always spell check! I know that
isn't perfect, but I am left with the impression that some people just don't
give a damn!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >