Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brad.pitt
Msg: 1010
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 41 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
Interesting thread! I am always fascinated by the wide range of opinions people have on all the subjects in the forums. Makes interesting reading!
Regarding this particular thread- I appreciate proper grammar and spelling. It is something that I personally like. I am not so concerned about capitals because I believe that most people know to capitalize the first letter of a sentence. I also give people the benefit of the doubt if they spell France , france, for instance. Some spelling mistakes I believe are probably intentional like thru for through or nite for night. Grammar and spelling are just something I like personally, like hiking or tennis, etc. I will read through a person's profile and try to determine if English is a second language to that person. I will try to get a sense if their writing reflects their intelligence level. I also realize that I am not perfect at spelling or grammar and will utilize tools if I am unsure. I still make mistakes, however, and I recognize that a woman with a phd in English might judge me on these same issues and find me lacking. I except that completely. For people who know that they have dyslexia, then it would probably be a good idea to use spelling tools. For me , this would convey an interest in making a good first impression. Less important later on , especially if the person explained to me that he/she is dyslexic and didn't want to take the time to use tools with every e-mail.
BUT, a bigger pet peeve to me than grammar or spelling mistakes is the fact that so many people don't respond to e-mails. I understand that there are are people on pof who get bombarded with e-mails. I have finally accepted that they don't have time to respond to every e-mail they get. However, I am a big believer in respect. Would it kill people to send a quick "thanks,but no thanks"?! I know that this is covered in another thread; it just irritates me when people write on this thread that they would just delete or not respond at all. What a society of rude, insensitive people we have become!!
 briargate
Msg: 1011
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 10/2/2008 9:24:27 AM
It's kind of strange to me when people don't take any pride in how they express themselves either with their spoken words or in written language. It's one of the pleasures that just doesn't get old for me. I would like to be an even better writer, speak even more clearly and evocatively, but hanging around someone that simply doesn't value that doesn't appeal to me. It's a personal ethic sort of thing.
 Sepia777
Msg: 1012
Posted: 10/2/2008 9:24:36 AM
Misspelled words can often be attributed to typos which we have been guilty of doing at one time or another.. I am not overly picky about that...I am more focused on the message itself rather than donning my " Captain Spellcheck" cape and obsessively zeroing in on a misspelled word or misplaced adjective or adverb. ..

As far as bad grammar? ....well that depends on how bad the language is butchered.. If someone sends me something that I feel I need "translator" to decipher and the person's native language is English, then that's a problem..and does leave a pretty bad impression.... But that's an extreme example...and rare

What annoys me at times is when people send messages in "textese" eg.. idk wat 2 say/
Once you're out of high school, it's no longer cute...

People who send concise, clear messages, reflecting that they are articulate make the best overall impression ..
 circe 1
Msg: 1013
Posted: 10/2/2008 1:37:33 PM
brad.pitt....you have obviously not had someone here respond to your 'No thanks' with a rude comment. As a proper lady with manners, it was my practice to respond to e mails from men with a polite 'No thank you'. Imagine my surprise when I was then greeted with rude and offensive responses. Trust me, it happened several times. Some people do not take rejection well. So I stopped responding. I am neither rude nor insensitive...far from it. I will not, however, stand for nasty e mails from wierdos here. The moral of the story is...never assume and try to understand why some women here do not write back. I have now included my stance on this subject in my profile, leaving no room for any misunderstanding. If a man has a problem with that, so be it! As I said, I have my reasons.
 kittenluvr
Msg: 1014
Posted: 10/2/2008 2:55:56 PM
I try to respond to all e-mails, however, if yours is filled with misspellings and bad grammar I'm less likely to be interested. If you are that careless with your e-mail I get the feeling that you will be equally careless as a friend or lover. Attention to detail or lack of it tells me something about you as a person.
 mz one
Msg: 1015
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:45:46 PM
I don't care if words are mispelled as long as I can understand what they are saying and the content is nice. But we all have our pet peeves and have little control over what turns us off.
 brad.pitt
Msg: 1016
Posted: 10/2/2008 6:12:37 PM
To circe 1: I have had unpleasant responses to "no thank you" messages. Don't you think that reflects poorly on the writers of those messages? I can't take responsibility for their behaviours (correct spelling because I live in Canada!) but I am responsible for my own. So, I continue to treat people the way I would like to be treated and do not assume that because I have had a bad experience with one person that it will be the same for others.
Sorry, definitely off the thread here!
 circe 1
Msg: 1017
Posted: 10/3/2008 4:09:24 PM
brad.pitt....silence is an answer. Having stated in my profile that I will not respond unless interested, no one can now accuse me of being rude or insensitive. I will no longer subject myself to rude e mails from men angry at being rejected. Don't like it? TOUGH.
 preciousss
Msg: 1018
Posted: 10/3/2008 10:22:41 PM
yup...you shouldnt b so picky....

i just think its a turnoff when messages are confusing or dont make any sense....
 MNL70
Msg: 1019
Posted: 10/3/2008 10:36:10 PM
I know this may come off as conceited, but no, I would not respond. It is a big turn-off for me and that is just something I know about myself. I spent many years in advanced education, and I have learned through my personal relationships that if I do not fully respect a man's intelligence, our relationship will not work. This is not to say that I do not understand a "typo", as I have many of my own, but if it appears an individual only expresses themselves online in a grammatically incorrect manner, or as they would in a more casual text, I must assume the mutual respect that I need will just not exist with that person. I am a well-educated, successful woman, that may intimidate some men. As a result, if they can not handle me or keep up, it just would not work out. Looking for my equal or better (somewhat of a geek, I guess), so anything less just would not turn me on.
 goergieporgie
Msg: 1021
Posted: 10/4/2008 9:33:04 AM
No silly. You call the spelling police and have their profiles deleted.
 phishkev
Msg: 1022
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2008 1:50:46 PM
Depends-it seems immature, but, we're all not office people, ya know...I'm the "pick and tap" type...I try! Ha! I think it's a laziness factor...
 peace_n_love
Msg: 1023
Posted: 10/4/2008 10:03:04 PM
It depends on what the message says.
If it's short, then yes, I'll ignore it.
If it's long and not too frequent and on words commonly msspelled, I will usually respond.
 dancing/shoes
Msg: 1024
Posted: 10/5/2008 4:44:01 PM
Heres something i find funny, some of you have mentioned using Spell check and other programs, Well news flash,at least to me Lol, is that a person is really just masking the problem using those programs only make you appear to spell good. I reminds me of dancing with Women some times who say Just lead me(in dancing) i can follow you, but some of them don't know the patterns and thats not the same as Owning the dance patterns for onself, without just being Lead on the dance floor..
 joro
Msg: 1025
Posted: 10/5/2008 7:58:55 PM
Bad grammar and spelling won't bother me
if the sender has something interesting to say.
so we trade away, we lost manny
but we ended up with jason bay

the score is tied it is 4-4
but the fenway crowd does roar
i cant remember what happened before
this is boston, lets kill em
 blackheartedwoman
Msg: 1026
Posted: 10/11/2008 4:58:32 AM
dancing/shoes wrote <div class="quote">if you found out a guy on here was a bit poor in his writing But was rich and really good looking you all would change your mind in a instant.

You're joking right? With money and power, only come curruption and loneliness. Besides, if he had that kind of money he could pay someone to edit his posts

I guess the quickest way to answer this question would have been: yes or no, but then what's the fun in that?
 Sweetbabeblues
Msg: 1027
Posted: 10/11/2008 5:56:25 AM

know I shouldn't be so picky about it;but, people who email me with very bad grammar and misspelled words turn me off. Is this an indication of how they communicate in person? Is this being too critical?

There is way too much imphasis on spelling on these sites. If a person mispells, I see others jumping all over them for no other reason, than to make themselves appear to look better.
It realy saddens me how some can pick on others simply because they mispell a word or two. I mean come on people... Are we stooping to that level of low that we have to redicule others to draw attention to ourselves? Geeze......
 Knittin Kitten
Msg: 1028
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 7:33:29 AM
Absolutely not, babe...Even as an Editor, I don't do that. But I'm certainly tempted. Poor spelling does not make a loser out of someone...no more than a beard....smoking....baldness....or whatever else turns someone off.

It's difficult for some of us to understand why people don't see the little red lines when they misspell a word. I can only guess that they don't really care. Sometimes it's not the spelling, it's the not caring....

Just my thoughts...

KK
 lestergass
Msg: 1029
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 7:37:01 AM

If they are obviously from a foreign land, I ask them to have someone with whom they are close who speaks/reads/writes English review their profile and edit them before going any further.

OK, I'm flirting with being off topic here, but I found this amusing enough to save, maybe someone else will too.
This was printed on the back of a "bubble pack" of a headlight relay kit I bought a few years back. I quote......

This bulb is not effective by using of normal wiring and also will cause troubles, so that, please use the atached wire. Besides, please don't turn on two lights at the same time to prevent from shortening the bulb life.
For whom of using 4 bulb square type low beam in case of using 4 bulb square type low beam , (etc. etc.)

Good thing there was a diagram. I bought this through a mail order catalogue, not sure I would have, if I picked it up at a store.
 Sweetbabeblues
Msg: 1030
Posted: 10/11/2008 7:48:14 AM
Wow.... I can't believe I just got an email trying to correct me for mispelled words in my profile! I was told there were five.... lol....
See this is the crap I am talking about. Why should anyone single anyone else out for a few mispelled words here and there?
So I take this person and others go around just looking to make excuses to correct others... Wow..... They must truly be borred!!!
Does it make them any better a person, exspecialy when they read you thier pedegree?
I think NOT!!!!!
 Sweetbabeblues
Msg: 1031
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:14:11 AM
Ok...Ok... So someone here just keeps writting me "love letters" about my spelling and now my attitude....
I just want to say thanks...you have been reported....
And yes...I spelled that one correct!
It isn't enough people comment and make fun of people on the forums, but to recieve behind the scene messages too, trying to degrade you on spelling? Such petty things to squable about!!!
To answer your question OP, and staying on topic....
Yes I do respond, and NO I do not belittle them, by trying to correct them with insults.
 lestergass
Msg: 1032
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:41:19 AM

To answer your question OP, and staying on topic....

sorry
 Validar
Msg: 1033
Posted: 10/11/2008 7:59:53 PM

Spelling is NOT NECESSARILY an indication of education. I know many successful, college grads that can't spell very well but are brilliant in other areas of their lives and have excelled...

I find it alarming and disturbing that someone CAN graduate from college without knowing how to spell. I believe this speaks volumes about the quality of their education.
 Renaissance Man 1950
Msg: 1034
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:08:04 PM

I find it alarming and disturbing that someone CAN graduate from college without knowing how to spell. I believe this speaks volumes about the quality of their education.

Occasionally there are articles highlighting how many public school teachers ( aka "union thugs") can't spell or punctualize, which is why spelling and grammar aren't always indicators of intelligence or education. I have to admit that there is a visceral response to misspelled words, and it's hard to look past.

I'm a guy, though, so if a woman is attractive enough, and we are sexually compatible, I can get past it.

abelian
Msg: 1035
Posted: 10/12/2008 10:16:46 AM

Spelling is NOT NECESSARILY an indication of education. I know many successful, college grads that can't spell very well but are brilliant in other areas of their lives and have excelled...

Education is not the same thing as having gone to school.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >