Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is the basic needs of a human being?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What is the basic needs of a human being?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Food, water, shelter, basic community and a GENERAL source of emotional support from other human beings...who could be friends, family, an SO, co workers, neighbors, etc...but not limited to one of those things in specific.

I agree that humans need love and support. I do NOT agree that it has to come from a romantic relationship to be effective. Unless someone lives in a place where there are no other humans present for years, this won't be something that's missing.
 moraima
Msg: 52
view profile
History
What is the basic needs of a human being?
Posted: 4/18/2010 8:39:51 PM
"I do NOT agree that it has to come from a romantic relationship to be effective. "

I also agree that our basic needs do not have to come from a romantic relationship.
 abelian
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/19/2010 10:15:03 AM

Sounds so simple yet as an adult I believe I found the answer.

It is simple. You need food, water and enough protection to deal with the environment. Everything else is a desire. If people looked at life that way, they'd be less inclined to feel entitled to anything.
 CodeNameKitty
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/19/2010 7:15:38 PM
Sheesh,
There's 4 things a human being needs.

Food/water
Shelter
Sleep
Sex

But from your post it sounds like perhaps you might be asking what does a human being need to feel happy/successful/fulfilled?
And they are as varied as diamonds.
Best you can do is decide in what do you find happiness and fulfillment and then search for someone who feels close to what you feel. Or wishes for what you wish or dreams of the things you dream of.
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/19/2010 8:15:55 PM
Sleep
Food
Happy Hour
Designer clothing
 brandished
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2010 9:22:34 PM

Some babies may die if not touched, burt not all.

They die inside!
 Island home
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2010 11:11:39 PM
After food drink and shelter don't forget

Somewhere to take a dump

But not necessarily a dump site

A good thread gadaveuk/Dave
 Civilized Rebel
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/20/2010 2:49:06 AM
According to Freud love and work.
 JustMary65
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2010 6:28:53 AM
A home (some form of shelter)----family/friends to share life's ups and downs with---food ( need it to survive) and if you find success in those areas then you are doing okay for yourself. What people want is to be loved, understood, wanted, desired and to feel apart of something bigger than the home they live in, the families they come from and the food they eat.

I think discontent comes from wanting what others have versus enjoying what you do have. Thus the human condition. The basic needs sustain us it's the wants that drive us.
 raraavis41
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2010 5:59:03 AM
In our complicated world today I think Maslow needs to include an overall dose of apathy in the mix. But to each their own... ;>)
 brandished
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2010 8:26:46 PM

but they are still living

Can you see yourself (today, right now as you read this) "living" without love, nurturing, and/or affection from another person??

Babies (of all species) are vulnerable, helpless, and dependent on affection, touch, connection in order to thrive!

In our complicated world today I think Maslow needs to include an overall dose of apathy in the mix. But to each their own... ;>)

Thank you rarebird!!
 Bad Baby
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/23/2010 2:56:28 AM
I think some people forgot the number one thing you need... AIR.

How about AIR.

OXYGEN???

You can survive about 3 minutes without oxygen
maybe 3 days with out water
and maybe 3 weeks without food.

Then your DEAD.

You don't need love to survive. That's just all the syrupy goey stuff we drizzle all over our lives. It has nothing to do with what we need.

If I was lost in a desert. I would most certainly take a jug of water and a few coconuts over a penis. Love has nothing to do with being able to survive... unless you are a cannibal. Then you could eat your loved one. Don't forget the salt and pepper.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/23/2010 3:12:23 AM
I think most have covered the basic necessities..

More people could use a good enema though..
 pirateheaven
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2010 7:12:10 AM
Everyone needs a Colt Peacemaker
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2010 7:48:44 AM

Can you see yourself (today, right now as you read this) "living" without love, nurturing, and/or affection from another person??

Absolutely - though generally it's good to have community and social stimulation, direct love nurture and care aren't requirements. If they were, I'd never have survived childhood. Loving yourself is half the battle once you're an adult. When you're a baby you need it more from others, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that you're helpless. Any human who can't take care of themselves is going to require care from others to survive - that goes without saying.

How about AIR.

OXYGEN???

I agree that air, water, food, shelter, BASIC human contact and sleep are needs. The rest are luxuries and won't kill us if we don't get em. Plain and simple.
 Arabianangel
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/23/2010 4:55:23 PM

but they are still living

Living or Surviving?

It's ironic how these two definations are so close yet so apart in actual meaning. There's quality of life that very seldom reaches us when we're too busy 'just surviving'.
 brandished
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2010 8:38:13 PM

You don't need love to survive. That's just all the syrupy goey stuff we drizzle all over our lives. It has nothing to do with what we need.

So your child doesn't "need" your love??

If I was lost in a desert. I would most certainly take a jug of water and a few coconuts over a penis.

If I was lost in a desert I'd drink the nectar and eat the meat from a cactus! I don't know what a penis has to do with anything, but if I'm lost I wouldn't mind having the company!

WomanInProgress
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:55:46 AM
So your child doesn't "need" your love??

Children need caretakers to survive, and even in the early to mid teen years plenty of children have stepped into an adult role and lived just fine without that if they had parents who weren't there emotionally, mentally or physically. In a lot of cases there are external factors that come into play - grandparents/extended family, neighbors, teachers, social services, foster care, adoption, etc. So a child is rarely without some sort of adult supervision.

It's nice if a parent or parents love a child because it ensures a little more that child will be taken care of longer, but the child does not actually directly need love to survive.
 freedomagn
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:27:22 AM
Some where to soft to land after the days BS of trying to survive the wickedness.
 brandished
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 10:01:01 AM

In a lot of cases there are external factors that come into play - grandparents/extended family, neighbors, teachers, social services, foster care, adoption, etc.

And these "external factors" more than likely showed the child love?!

but the child does not actually directly need love to survive.

Babies (of all species) are vulnerable, helpless, and dependent on affection, touch, connection in order to thrive!

There is a difference between "survive" and "thrive."
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:11:25 AM
There is a difference between "survive" and "thrive."

Agreed. This thread uses the word "need" which is basic survival. As in, you'll die if you don't get it. All else is want, or a bonus. Thriving implies there's more going on than just basic survival, and therefore isn't built on "need".

There are overall emotional needs that make human survival better and generally I agree that they should be present in a human's life. But beyond that, all else is desired/appreciated, not necessarily needed.
 candlelight and roses
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:54:10 AM
for me, the main need is to to have a partner that i will be happy with
 stormyblues
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 6:39:49 PM
I apologise if I offend Dave here but I am pretty annoyed with the OP title.

Title said you were asking about what 'a' human being 'basically needs', then you went on about love. This to me is like you are asking what colour the sky appears to be and then you talk about how red an apple is. Will 'one human being' die without love or sex? No. Will 'mankind' extincts without love or sex (part of the deal with reproduction)? Yes. So is love a 'basic needs of a human being'? NO. Is love a 'basic wants' of a human being? Is this what OP is about???

I am sorry I am not here to offend but I am just annoyed with OP.
 brandished
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:55:30 PM

This thread uses the word "need" which is basic survival. As in, you'll die if you don't get it.

And as was pointed out in a previous post (which I initially responded) babies/infants don't survive without love/bonding/nurturing.

All else is want, or a bonus.

True enough when you are an adult!

Thriving implies there's more going on than just basic survival, and therefore isn't built on "need".

For infants/newborns thriving and surviving is dependent on what is being offered to them in the way of nurture/love/touch, and therefore is built on "need."

I feel like we've come full circle and/or we are going in circles?!
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 75
What are the basic needs of a human being?
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:56:30 PM
air
water
fire
food
touch
procreation
play
competition
weed :)

apparently, the OP also needs a spell checker...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is the basic needs of a human being?