Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Workable pickup lines to use on a guy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bikerscum
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Workable pickup lines to use on a guyPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

But seriously, do you give them YOUR number or do you ask for theirs? I mean this is uncharted territory here, and after this thread I may write a book............

No woman would buy it.

Men are there to do all the chasing and the lifting.

It's their job to find you.
Their job to take the risk of asking you out and seeing if you insult them or walk off or what.
Their job to prove themselves to YOU
Their job to "perform" for you, when required, as long as it takes for you to get off. As often as you want if you have a sex drive, or almost never if you prefer to shop for shoes. Actually all women prefer to shop for shoes but you get my point.
Their job to pay the bills. Of course, she might work to "prove" she's your equal. But it's HER money, and your money is "OUR" money.
 Random Guy
Msg: 27
Workable pickup lines to use on a guy
Posted: 12/3/2007 11:18:04 PM

But seriously, do you give them YOUR number or do you ask for theirs? I mean this is uncharted territory here, and after this thread I may write a book............

Of course this is uncharted territory, this is history in the making. Can it be, that this woman is about to ask out a guy, for possibly the first time in recorded history!? To boldly go, where no woman has gone before! Would that this was not a forum that forces one to type, I'd be sitting here speechless with anticipation.

Yes give him your number; give him your number and ask for his; demand he take your number, and demand his. Do whatever you have to do, for all is fair in love and war.

Cheers!

Edit:

And you know, I think if they were with another guy, I bet they might be rude.....I think you have to pick a lone stranger..........

Highly unlikely. Some guys might back off and give his friend a few moments to explore, while others might stand there and see if you will continue on in spite of his entourage. There are so many things that could happen, but rude... a very small % that can be still ruled as negligible given the large amount of men who would be gracious.

Cheers!
 Bethlet
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/3/2007 11:27:40 PM
Bikerscum.....I am really sorry that whoever totally fu*cked over your heart and mind (or the many of them) did. And I am sure that you are absolutely right that a lot of women suck. My sons would agree.

But we are not all like that.

At least the ones that are over 40 and fat are not all like that. lol. Not that you'd want em....but we do tend to be a little less self-serving when we get older.

Anyway, nevermind.....I know nothing I say would affect your beliefs anyway....just sayin', thats all.

Random Guy...I think guys are not into being demanded. I think that will make me lose votes. (Pictures herself saying "GIVE ME YOUR NUMBER NOW DAMN IT. HERE'S MINE. FRIGGIN USE IT!"......) HOWEVER, there is a great deal to be said for your enthusiasm. LOLOL. xoxoxo I have to get some rest now. I'll check tomorrow for hopefully more tips!
 Random Guy
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/3/2007 11:52:13 PM

Random Guy...I think guys are not into being demanded. I think that will make me lose votes. (Pictures herself saying "GIVE ME YOUR NUMBER NOW DAMN IT. HERE'S MINE. FRIGGIN USE IT!"......)

Well of course you don't say it like that... but you never know with some of us haha!

W: "Hey, would you like to have coffee with me sometime?"
M: "..." (obviously in shock that a woman is asking him out) "Sure!"
W: "Great, here's my number. (hands him card) Can I have yours, and I'll call you, or you call me, and we'll set up a time?"
*the ever so sacred "numbers" are exchanged and both say bye, riding off into their proverbial sunsets*

As well, you can't say that we're not into being demanded, as it's more so that it's never really happened. How many guys can say that women have been the ones to initiate first contact? Some, but not a great many. In this day and age, men have a better chance of being hit by a falling satelite out of orbit, as opposed to being approached by a woman. Of course I exagerate, but realistically, not by much lol.

HOWEVER, there is a great deal to be said for your enthusiasm. LOLOL. xoxoxo I have to get some rest now. I'll check tomorrow for hopefully more tips!

As for my enthusiasm, sure why not? If I can convince a woman to go up to a guy she has on her mind, and just ask him to go for coffee, that's awesome! It's awesome because - as I said earlier - things like this seldom happen to men, and that is an irrefutable fact!

Cheers!
 Bikerscum
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2007 11:53:49 PM

But we are not all like that.

Yeah, whatever.
 HillsideCA
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:11:58 AM

Has a woman ever walked up to you in the middle of a store, or in the park, or at the coffee shop.....and struck up a conversation with you? If so, what was her opening line?

This has happened to me, yes - but without resulting in a pickup (I'm not entirely sure there were any times when that was the intent).

If a woman that you found to be remotely attractive did so, what would you think about her? What would you think was her motive? If she asked you to coffee, would you go?

Well whether I find her attractive or not, my first assumption would be she's doing it just to be friendly. I have, however, been accused by good friends of missing cues in situations like this. I would probably have coffee, assuming that in the scenario (as in reality, right now) I am single.

What could she say that you would not think she was very strange?

In short....what would you consider to be an acceptable "opening line" from a total stranger in public somewhere? Serious now...none of this "nice shoes, wanna have sex" thing...........

Similar (but not identical enough to be quite redundant) topic came up in Ask a Girl a short while back. I think one of the best answers there (by meowGrrr?) was to use the scene itself to guide the conversation. If it's a bookstore, comment on a book they're holding or one that's nearby, or ask for purchase advice. If it's a grocery store, ask them if they've tried this or that salad dressing. Might want to stay away from the produce section though...too heavy on innuendo, unless you want to come across that way!

I think the longer you can keep that conversation going, the less an invitation to coffee will seem like some kind of strangeness or random stalker act.

Hope that helps...
 dare1969
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:48:45 AM

Has a woman ever walked up to you in the middle of a store, or in the park, or at the coffee shop.....and struck up a conversation with you? If so, what was her opening line?

That's just crazy talk. Things like that never happen in nature. I have had women come up and flirt with me, but they were always trying to sell me something. (No, not themselves.)

I don't know how far any woman would get by striking up a conversation with me, because I'm automatically suspicious. I'm waiting for the sales pitch. A few times I found myself hoping that maybe, just maybe she didn't have something to sell, and she was interested in talking to me. But sure enough she lays it on me, and I'm out of there like a shot.

Why would anyone just start talking to a complete stranger anyway? What could they possibly be basing their interest on? I have never seen that go well.
 ubkobalt
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/4/2007 3:30:48 AM
But seriously, do you give them YOUR number or do you ask for theirs?

This depends.
It depends how much control you want over the situation.

If you get their number, you are in control to call them. But, they may give it only because you asked, not because they wanted to. (Happens all the time on this side.)
If you give them your number, they are in control of calling you, and you sit there waiting. But, it's their choice, and you know if they were interested or not. They may also have the chance to lose the number, forget, or have no idea what to say/do about it. I know, it's a phone number. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

How about the cell phone exchange? You ask "Can I call you sometime?" If yes, hand him your phone and let them dial it. As you're "saving" it in your phone book, you call them right there. "Oops, wrong button" If their cell phone rings, the number is legit and you can say "Well now you have mine so you know it's me when I call." (You just said you were going to call. Don't wait for him now that he has your number.) Plus, it gives him a "parting gift" to remember you by.
 Bethlet
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:21:17 AM
Why would anyone just start talking to a complete stranger anyway? What could they possibly be basing their interest on? I have never seen that go well.

Why? Why do you walk up and ask a girl to dance at a dance club? Based solely on looks and a hunch by watching her interact with her friends, or the way she carries herself. Not much differently than what is done online. I have very often seen a man in the grocery or especially in a store like Home Depot...that I am INSTANTLY attracted to...very often our eyes even meet, and he even smiles. I often walk into the coffee shop and a man sitting there will watch me walk all the way from the door to the counter. I always wonder what they are thinking when they are watching me. I wonder..."is there something in my teeth?" "Do I look especially nice today, or are they thinking I'm dressed like a fool for a 56 year old" I always wonder why...because NEVER EVER do any of them ever speak to me. The other day, I was leaving a grocery store, and I had to walk the full length of the store from the checkout where I was. On the way, at the opposite end of the store, a man caught my eye....this time, I thought "Hm. Ok, lets see WHY he's making direct eye contact with me...." so I made a point of returning his look, and this time I didn't look down or away FIRST. He held my look the ENTIRE LENGTH OF THAT STORE - walked right by me, FINALLY looked away....and did not say a single thing to me! I even had smiled, and so did HE! ..........

So I wonder why you guys do that....are we just amusing? Do we have toilet paper hanging off the backs of our coats and don't know it? Do you make eye contact only when someone is attractive to you? Or do you do it even when you are spacing out and trying to remember your grocery list? Will you make eye contact with someone that you feel looks like a nitwit? (if you are just people watching like maybe in a coffee shop?)

Anyway....the next time that happens, I'm going to walk right up to them and say "Hi. You are in trouble now. You made eye contact. Are you single? Because if you are, I'd love to take you to coffee. Or you can take me to coffee, whichever is more comfortable for you. Would you be interested in that? (at this point he's in too much shock to respond, so I press forward)....Can I have your number? Here's mine....*hands him my pink cell phone with the roses on it - now he knows for sure I'm a female*.....punch your number in for me would you?" (THAT WAS THE BEST IDEA EVER KOBALT!!!!!)
 dbndon
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:44:06 AM

Interestingly enough, the two major grocery stores (and also one large department store) I frequent have coffee shops near the entrance. Often I shop after midnight and usually stop for a coffee and sandwich when I come in. So, there I am, sitting there reading and listening to my walkman radio, not paying much attention to who is coming and going. But, that is also the time when the local hospital and the police department change shifts and some of the people coming in are people I’ve talked with in the store for one reason or another. So, it’s not uncommon for someone to get a coffee and sit down with me for a moment.

Most of the women are too young for me to think about dating, of course, and 90% of them I only know from the store. But, we are friendly, nonetheless.

How does one strike up a conversation in a store? Hell if I know, but it happens to me most everywhere I go. I’m certainly not a hot hunk, but for some reason women seem to feel free to walk up and start talking about whatever. For instance, last night I was looking for some decaf green tea one of my sisters told me was at that store. But, there were a couple dozen different types of green tea there and I cannot see all that well. So, there I was, standing around like a dummy reading the packages. Not far from me was a 40ish lady shopping alone, also looking for something, apparently -- and maybe chuckling at me getting ready to start grumbling. After a few minutes she turned towards me and simply said, “It’s over here.” I have no idea how she knew what I was looking for, but where she was pointing was correct. So, okay, we talked for a moment and went about our shopping. But, when we met in other isles we smiled and said hello again.

And that’s the way it is, in my world anyway. Friendly, that’s all. It seems that many of us have a shopping schedule of sorts and I see the same people often. So, now there’s another one I’ll stop and talk with a moment anytime I see her. Sure, I’ve traded cards with a couple of them -- and the key word there is “trade.” But, that had nothing to do with dating, only because we had something else of interest to talk about.

Sometimes I think that they instinctively realize that I’m not a guy out on the make and that is mostly why they feel so free to talk with me. Heck, I live in an apartment building where there are about 200 single women living alone. Were I “looking,” all I would need to do is attend some of the stuff in our common area on the first floor. But, I don’t think it wise to be fishing so close to home. lol

Ahoytheredave
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:52:01 AM
"Hi. I'm shopping for a gift/meal for a guy(dad, brother, co-worker). Do you have any suggestions?" Since guys are usually focused on the task they came in the store for, you just redirected their attention without seeding concern about your motives. At some point, be honest and tell them what you were doing.
 life_of_leisure
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:53:59 AM
> (OP) Has a woman ever walked up to you in the middle of a store, or in
> the park, or at the coffee shop.....and struck up a conversation with you?

No.

Except for a few who were obviously off their meds. I seem to always get in line in front of them at the grocery store.

All the rest of those questions are beyond my ability to fantasize.
 stc888
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/4/2007 10:45:31 AM
"I got all moist ,when you walked in.""What's your name?I'm ______"
Works on us guys.

I was with my daughter in the vitamin section.A girl walked up and asked a couple of ?s.So I answered them.Then we went to 7-11 and another girl came up to me.
My daughter was 14 at the time.She said "your not a door knob.,You dont have to give everyone a turn"
 Mark 77
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/4/2007 11:02:32 AM
I chat with strangers all the time, as long as they seem approachable. I don't do it because I'm attracted to them, I just do it because its fun. As an example, if I'm buying donuts at the local grocery store, I almost always talk to people about their selection and how its all wrong and that they should be getting what I'm getting.

So, if a woman asked me about something in a store (which has happened many times), I'd assume that they are like me and like talking to strangers or that they genuinely wanted my opinion or advice. I certainly wouldn't immediately assume that they are interested in me. If thats what you're trying to say, don't hint at it or think you're throwing signals, SAY IT.
 rara_avis77
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/4/2007 11:13:15 AM
Think about it this way, what would you consider to be an acceptable "opening line" from a male stranger approaching you in public somewhere?
 Bethlet
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/4/2007 11:14:39 AM
^^^^

"Hi. I know this is off the cuff, but I noticed you....and I know I have no way of meeting you in real life, so - are you single? If so, are you attracted to me in any way? If so, would you like to have coffee some time?"

The "are you single" thing would trigger a response in my mind *if I am not attracted, I should just say - no I'm not single - that lets me off the hook*.....

So maybe thats the way I should do it. Give them a way to get off the hook.

Good thought. Cuz I've noticed even when you meet a man in person from the net, and he is not attracted to you? He does not have the balls to be honest about it, even when you ask. He just won't call again after the meet. He disappears into thin air.

Ok. Mark - I chat with strangers too....I am very outgoing. But for some reason, I never chat with the men I'm attracted to. Isn't that strange? Hm. I'll have to do some introspection on that one............
 imaginationofsoul
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/4/2007 12:32:22 PM
Guys don't get picked up via women. It just doesn't happen.

As such, we don't have the same barriers that women have created of mistrust and layers of protection against creeps.

So pretty much a big smile and a hello would work on most any guy. As long as you can maintain the conversation from getting weird, you can get a guy's digits.

On side note, how many women serial killers are there?
 Smitty828282
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/4/2007 12:38:00 PM
Guys are totally logical, you just need to be straightforward with us.

I like to think about it this way... guys are like a football field, you get the ball and run straight for the end zone, women are more like a mini-putt course, you gotta twist and turn and jump through hoops of fire to get to the end, all the while trying to make it look like your everyday routine!
 Double Cabin
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 12:40:44 PM
A few less than subtle from younger years:

(To her friend also right in front of me as she got ready to jump on my waist) "I am definitely tall enough for this mustache ride."

"Have you ever thought of yourself as a pommel horse?"

" I wish I had some Irish in me."
 Morithule
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/4/2007 12:42:56 PM

You don't need to use pickup lines with guys. Its so rare that we get asked out that it doesn't take a cute or funny line to get our attention.

This is very true Mark. And because it is true, does this mean men shouldn't have to use pick up lines on women either? Maybe just walking up and saying 'Hi, how are you' is good enough.

Jason
 OutMind
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:05:29 PM
Is that a cucumber or are you happy to see me?

When woman come to me, I can tell when they are hitting on me. But the best line is no line. Make a comment on something. I was at a coffee shop two weeks ago and she girl just asked me about the book I was reading. We talked for a while, when I wanted to get back to my book, she asked another question. She was really good. If I was available I would have gotten her phone number or gone out for a drink.
 OutMind
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:22:55 PM
Bethlet says:

you are absolutely right that a lot of women suck

And some are very good at it.

(Couldn't resist taking you out of context.)
 HillsideCA
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:31:38 PM
On the way, at the opposite end of the store, a man caught my eye....this time, I thought "Hm. Ok, lets see WHY he's making direct eye contact with me...." so I made a point of returning his look, and this time I didn't look down or away FIRST. He held my look the ENTIRE LENGTH OF THAT STORE - walked right by me, FINALLY looked away....and did not say a single thing to me! I even had smiled, and so did HE! ..........

If I had been the guy in this particular scenario, there's a 98+% chance that I would have been attracted to you. Any of the other < 2% scenarios would have been obvious to you, like...you'd just been shot, or you were carrying a small, screaming child over your shoulder.

I think most people probably avoid eye contact with someone they think is a nitwit. I make eye contact with people all the time - of both sexes - but not in the way you describe above. My humble opinon is that he thought you were cute. Second opinion is that he was right.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:38:19 PM
Just walk up, introduce yourself, and see if they want to go grab a coffee.

It's really not rocket science. That coffee gives you a chance to talk, and see if there is a mutual interest. There may not be, and it's important to "allow a way out" is it's not. That reduces the pressure, which men and women both feel.

With a bit of care, one can mention what attracted you in the first place, honestly. People love to talk about themselves generally, so appropriate silence ( to listen) and open ended questions tend to be far more productive.

If the interest is there, or is sparked by that talk, then you proceed from there.

If not, you say "Good Afternoon", your life bettered by having tried. Love's a bit like a lottery, in regards to finding it. You have to buy a ticket to have a chance to win.

Expecting somehow to trip over a free one lying on the floor isn't really realistic.
 pepsi40
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:51:46 PM
Hello works best. Followed by a question "May I ask a question" when yes, then your got to have observed something about him to make him talk of himself.

Then if he's any good or interested he should ask a question back. If he only talks about himself over and over, well , move on :)
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Workable pickup lines to use on a guy