Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Workable pickup lines to use on a guy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sosaysodo
Msg: 51
Workable pickup lines to use on a guyPage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I get asked questions all the time while I grocery shop. Like "Can you reach the lime juice?" or I had a great conversation with a woman about jigsaw puzzles once.....I even had a woman touching me in the checkout line telling me how adorable I was....Too bad they were old enough to be my grandmother!!! I believe I have a grandma magnet built in somewhere.
To be realistic for a minute here, I went out with my sisters to a bar one time and this woman started a meaningless conversation with me....I was polite and talked briefly and when I got back to the table my sisters were giggling saying, OMG that woman was all over you! Why didn't you say or do something??? I said "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"....I didn't sense anything of the sort...
My advice to women who desire to show interest in a strange man is to be obvious. We get so little attention, when we DO get it, we don't even know it!!
 Senorita_B
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Workable pickup lines to use on a guy
Posted: 12/4/2007 2:23:15 PM

Hello works best. Followed by a question "May I ask a question" when yes, then your got to have observed something about him to make him talk of himself.

I agree with him.

I have to say that some of these answers are too funny
 Anthony6/79
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/4/2007 2:51:48 PM
I really don't know I've never been approached by a woman trying to hit on me or ask me out on a date lol. If I ever did I would definitely play the lotto right after our conversation.
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 2:53:02 PM
You know, when a guy catches my eye in a random place that is not a bar and I do the eye contact-smile thing and he returns eye contact and smile but doesn't say hi...

I always let it drop.

It's frustrating, but I feel the odds are too great he will be weirded out or otherwise read easy sex into me asking for his number, to go for coffee, etc.

Or the worst yet-I'll be rejected!

Guys are really brave with the rejection thing. Thank God!
 LaidBackInSF
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/4/2007 3:08:36 PM

I am very outgoing. But for some reason, I never chat with the men I'm attracted to. Isn't that strange? Hm. I'll have to do some introspection on that one............

Sounds fairly human to me Bethlet.

As for shifting from Hello to grabbing something to eat/drink/whatever, I think a great transition is to mention that you're having a good time conversing with so and so and was wondering if they'd like to continue it over coffee/tea/breakfast the next morning. Most guys are going to be so shocked that you're picking them up they wouldn't deny you unless they had a hugely important commitment, even then they're likely going to be late.

This is such a rare situation a guy is totally going to pounce on it unless his g/f/wife/mom are walking up to him.
 LuckyMe1962
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 3:24:29 PM
I think the best lines for a woman are indirect comments about the current situation. For example, if you were in the produce section of a grocery store you could say something like, "wow - these apples are beautiful! " or if you're at the gym, remark, "gotta love this weather, don't you? I bet we'll be missing it in another month..."

Essentially, break the ice and give the guy a chance to take the lead. If he's interested, he'll engage you inconversation. If he's not interested, attached, or just not "with it" you won't suffer outright rejection.
 rock_hunter
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/4/2007 3:28:44 PM
Hi. Nice shoes. Wanna have sex?
 Mattovy
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/4/2007 6:23:28 PM
I would really enjoy it if this were to happen. I am still waiting for it... A hello would be fine with me, even anything off the wall. I understand how the nerves can make us sound stupid sometimes. As long as she didn't just stare and say nothing.
 OutMind
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/4/2007 6:43:36 PM
You know. I am very disappointed by the men's responses on this thread. Really. Come on. You have never, ever been hit on by a woman? I don't believe it!! Perhaps you didn't read the signals. I have to say this. Most people in this place go around saying that they don't play games, don't do this or that or the other. Blah, blah, blah, blah. And what do you get? Nothing. The truth is that there's a hell of a lot happening at a subliminal level, and you are all missing it. It is walking by you and you are ignoring it because you have obtuse ideas that don't see what's in front of you.

If you guys knew how to use half the brain cells that you been endowed with you will start noticing these things, and realize that you could get hit by a woman, no less than once a week. Now, yes this is grandma first, but then is the casher, and the girl at the gym, at the bookstore, at the coffee shop and so on. And all it takes is one thing. (to discover it, that is.)
 crayonzz
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:04:49 PM
Serious it is Beth

1/ The most successful pick up joint is actually the spurmarket. More succesful than all the rest put together.

2/ With this in mind do not wear baggy sweats and hairin curlers to do the shopping. Don't need to be all spruced up but a quick brush of the hair and perhaps change into something stylish.

3/ With this in mind the best "opening line" (theres no pickup lines) is anything that you would disucss with your girlfirends in the supermarket. It can be as mild as talkng about some of the recipies on ht packetfoods to something as suggestive as asking him to get you the g string, off the high hanger, in the ladies underwear section.

One final thingto be aware of. The guys spend half a lifetime cultivating witty pick up lines. The girls spend the same time cultivating spitefull knockback lines, which they consider normal.
At least they consider them normal untill they have to do the pick up and they are terrifiedof getting one ofthier own spiteful knockbacks intheir faces.
Forget it. Guys do knockback some dates. But they are rarely spiteful about it.
 Mattovy
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:11:53 PM
If I had, I don't remember it.
I will tell you another thing. Subliminal level is game playing in my book. If you can't say or show it outwardly then I don't pay it any attention. No time for it.
 Random Guy
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:30:01 PM

You know. I am very disappointed by the men's responses on this thread. Really. Come on. You have never, ever been hit on by a woman? I don't believe it!! Perhaps you didn't read the signals. I have to say this. Most people in this place go around saying that they don't play games, don't do this or that or the other. Blah, blah, blah, blah. And what do you get? Nothing. The truth is that there's a hell of a lot happening at a subliminal level, and you are all missing it. It is walking by you and you are ignoring it because you have obtuse ideas that don't see what's in front of you.

If you guys knew how to use half the brain cells that you been endowed with you will start noticing these things, and realize that you could get hit by a woman, no less than once a week. Now, yes this is grandma first, but then is the casher, and the girl at the gym, at the bookstore, at the coffee shop and so on. And all it takes is one thing. (to discover it, that is.)

So if what you say is true, and it can happen "no less than once a week", why are you still here?

I think you are suffering from delusions of grandeur, and as they say: "If you can't do, you teach..."

Cheers!

Edit:
Aaah, so you are in a relationship and are just here for the forums, as it states in your profile eh? So if you are in a relationship, then how come you still list yourself as Divorced, as opposed to Not Single/Looking?
 esad
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:51:30 PM

Has a woman ever walked up to you in the middle of a store, or in the park, or at the coffee
shop.....and struck up a conversation with you? If so, what was her opening line?

Does getting picked-up while hitch-hiking count ? If so, their line was “ Get in”. I did.
It is my only “Dear Penthouse....” moment. And to prove i have matured , i will not retell it
here....unless someone begs me to. ( 16 year old guy/ two “older” 23yo or 24yo women/ I still don’t believe it either, and i was there)

if a woman that you found to be remotely attractive did so, what would you think about her? What would you think was her motive? If she asked you to coffee, would you go?

“Where is Ashton Kushner hiding????” would be my 1st reaction. After that i would to flustered /
flattered. Yes i would “go for coffee” or damn near anything else she asked as long as there
was no sign of a wrist band from the local mental hospital.

What could she say that you would not think she was very strange?

There is NOTHING she could say. OP, it would be strange. Eventually i am sure she could recover from this first impression, but as every other poster has pointed out, it is a wee bit unusual.

In short....what would you consider to be an acceptable "opening line" from a total stranger in public somewhere? Serious now...none of this "nice shoes, wanna have sex" thing........

Soooo no: " Excuse me, i seem to have dropped my flash-drive down my blouse. I would need both hands to fish it out and I would hate to set down this large shopping bag from Vitoria s Secret and risk wrinkling everything. Could you help me ?"
OP, it honestly doesn't matter. The odds of being shot down are so small that
it just does not matter.
 backinsd
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:53:07 PM
I think the woman would need to be concerned with knowing CPR as if any of that happened to me I would probably have a heart attack. Either that, or I would think I was on Candid Camera.

I do have friends that this happens to on a regular basis. Of course, they're 6'2" and above and very good looking. It seems all the woman has to do is say hi. Even the studs don't freak out if they're interested.
 backinsd
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:00:16 PM

Hey, I have to say, I guess I don't know how to identify the women hitting on me. I would think I would be able to, but I guess not. In turn, how about helping us dissapointing response men in a solid way. Being insulting and totally vague isn't helping. But, I'll definitely listen to good advice. Not subliminal obtuse vague descriptions that include grandma.
 Random Guy
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:01:25 PM

I'll definitely listen to good advice. Not subliminal obtuse vague descriptions that include grandma.

Cheers bro!
 Bethlet
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:06:03 PM
Jason:
Yes, "Hi, how are you..." would be good enough.

Hillside:
Awww, thanks for the compliment! Wow. I just realized I'm about 20 posts behind!

Anthony: "I really don't know I've never been approached by a woman trying to hit on me or ask me out on a date lol. If I ever did I would definitely play the lotto right after our conversation." LOLOL! Wow, it must be VERY infrequent, from all the responses I'm reading here.

I think I just might be onto something! I'm going to practice this during the week and come back and let you guys know how it went. So...if it doesn't work, you get to tell me WHY. LOL (Wish we could post videos here...I'd documentary it. HAHAH)

Year of the Cat wrote:
"It's frustrating, but I feel the odds are too great he will be weirded out or otherwise read easy sex into me asking for his number, to go for coffee, etc." I feel EXACTLY the same way. I've been terrified in the past that they will automatically think I'm desperate if I'm willing to make first contact...and that I'll be more than willing to jump right into bed. Whew, I hope this will turn out better than expected......

Laid Back in SF wrote:
"As for shifting from Hello to grabbing something to eat/drink/whatever, I think a great transition is to mention that you're having a good time conversing with so and so and was wondering if they'd like to continue it over coffee/tea/breakfast the next morning. Most guys are going to be so shocked that you're picking them up they wouldn't deny you unless they had a hugely important commitment, even then they're likely going to be late."

You missed the basis, Laid Back. This is not THAT kind of a pickup. THAT kind of a pickup would be easy. You walk up and say "Hey. Want to screw me?".....c'mon. Anyone can do that. This is JUST THE OPPOSITE. This is wanting to meet someone for NOT instant sex. This is registering a genuine interest in the man as a whole...not just walking up and grabbing his balls........

although he may want that. And I can assure you, if I'm hitting on a guy, I DEFINATELY already see myself in bed with him. But it is not going to be immediately, because I'll want to know what sort of person he is first, which will take a little time to get to know........more than a few hours. I want to know how safe his pee pee is. LOL! ON MANY LEVELS!

Wow! CRAYONZ!!!! Hella post! Thank you for the very honest and thought out response! xoxoxo

Ok....I've read through. I'm going to agree that I bet you guys get hit on all the time but you don't recognize it. Women seldom speak to a stranger unless they have an INTEREST. They just can't tell if YOU are interested BACK. For instance....this weekend this guy spent...are you ready? FORTY MINUTES almost a FRIGGIN HOUR..in Home Depot with me, helping me pick out the right stuff to put lights up outside. A DAMN HOUR! He was WONDERFUL. He took me all over the store, showed me the electrical socket thingies, explained to me how things worked to make a three prong thingy go into a two prong thingy, etc etc. AN HOUR.....

Now you are all sitting there thinking OMG HE WAS SO INTERESTED....

I thought so too. And I thought he was cute. And by the end of that hour, I WAS IN LOVE. I mean my god...just what you want...a man who will take care of you and be patient and spend time with you and give you advice......so I checked out his hand, mustering up the courage to say OMG let me repay you for your kindness, let me take you to dinner...

He was married.
Wearing a ring.

So you know....confusion is everywhere. WHY the hell would he waste an HOUR? Guess he was just a nice guy.

So guys, if you are interested, be as plain as you are telling us women to be. And if a woman is spending time with you, likely she is interested. Shes just too terrified to do anything with that interest!
 867love
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:43:28 PM
doesn't take alot of deep thought to get and keep a guys attention -remember the phrase
"you had me at hello"
 Nexus 6
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:49:31 PM
I can tell you what doesn't work with me, based on my own experiences.

Don't sit right next to him, giving him absolutely no personal space, chit chat idly with him and stare longingly at him (while ignoring his body language which is telling you he's not interested) and hope he'll become attracted in you. I can't speak for all guys, but the "I'm yours" look from a stranger does not make me feel attracted to you and in fact it scares the willies out of me.

Don't sit with all your other girl friends, look up and wave, and then look away and giggle together like a bunch of school girls. This might have been a fun way to flirt in Jr. High, but when grown women do this it isn't amusing.

Don't act self-deprecating; saying "You probably think I'm stupid, but..." Why would you want my first thought of you to be that you're stupid or weird, etc.?

That's about all I have. Most men don't get hit on a lot. I'm no exception but it does happen from time to time. The ones that are most welcome to me are the ones that are very honest and direct. Just say "Hi, my names _______. I saw you and thought you'd be an interesting person to know."
Even if you are obviously nervous, that's no biggy; you had the guts to do it anyway and I believe most men will find this endearing.
 HB_Beach_Bum
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:00:42 PM
Best pick up line to use on a guy:

"Hi."
 paulald
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:08:00 PM

I chat with strangers too....I am very outgoing. But for some reason, I never chat with the men I'm attracted to. Isn't that strange? Hm. I'll have to do some introspection on that one............

I know what you mean OP. I am exactly like that. I have no problem giving speeches, singing karaoke in public, talking to strangers, but for some reason I can't approach a guy I feel attracted to in person and even online! I thought online would be a good start to overcome my shyness on this aspect, but it didn't work!
 Gixxer_Mixxer
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:13:42 PM

Has a woman ever walked up to you in the middle of a store, or in the park, or at the coffee shop.....and struck up a conversation with you? If so, what was her opening line?

...like to have some fun tonight?? 300 bucks.
 OutMind
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:14:10 PM

Hey, I have to say, I guess I don't know how to identify the women hitting on me. I would think I would be able to, but I guess not. In turn, how about helping us dissapointing response men in a solid way. Being insulting and totally vague isn't helping. But, I'll definitely listen to good advice. Not subliminal obtuse vague descriptions that include grandma.

Hey. suck it up chumps. And stop messing with grandma. She still loves you and will pinch you cheek. (I hate that.) Hehehehe.

This is complicated because it involves a hell of a lot of things you guys are maybe aware of or maybe not. And I am not going to waste my time here telling you. So tough cookies. So start with two things. And this is so basic that it almost sounds just like dahh. But first thing is eye contact. Don't stare. But make eye contact with everyone. Then when you engage. Connect to the pupils. Wow. Into her soul. Instantly. It's like cheating at kissing. It goes smack in there. Women change automatically. What you do after that is up to you. But things are an open book for a fraction of a time.

Second, well, we are talking about her coming into you, not you coming into her so the strategies are totally different, yet you start the same. So offer a smile a gesture, not that you are into her, big no no. If it's "hey baby" you are shot down three seconds flat. But that you're receptive to her mind. Her. Be shy receptive. Do you know what I mean?

Does it work all the time? Of course not. You are going about your business and as you meet people you connect to them, still minding about your business. But when you have such attitude that is open, it allows people, women to search in, want to know more, have coffee with you.

Enough said. Go practice. There's a lot of other sh¡t, but you wouldn't grasp it this fast. So practice. And remember. Women want you really bad.
 HB_Beach_Bum
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:14:14 PM
Talk to someone you are interested in like you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It is pointless to act shy or timid, doing so only hinders your ability to fully express who you are.

You are aware that you have more fun and experience more when you are confident, so then why not be confident at all times?
 Nexus 6
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:17:41 PM

I have no problem giving speeches, singing karaoke in public, talking to strangers, but for some reason I can't approach a guy I feel attracted to

I can't tell you how many times I have heard this before, but by men about women! Welcome to the guy's perspective!

If you are having a hard time approaching someone you're attracted to it's because of what you're projecting. You are projecting your fear of rejection, your concerns about how you would handle said rejection, your fear of having your expectations crushed, etc.
The only way to deal with this is to have no expectations. You don't need his validation, you're just fine the way you are. If he rudely rejects you (which is highly unlikely) then all you've learned is that he's rude, thus not really what you wanted anyway. It has no bearing at all on who you are. Get rid of the negative self talk. How likely is it that your worst fears will be realized? Extremely unlikely. And even if they are, will it really be the end of the world? Not really.
Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that good stuff.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Workable pickup lines to use on a guy