Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Legalizing Tasers for personal use ........ ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 black-widow bitch
Msg: 51
Legalizing Tasers for personal use ........ ?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

both nipples were still twitching

lucky bugger
 geekybroad
Msg: 52
Legalizing Tasers for personal use ........ ?
Posted: 1/29/2008 11:53:09 PM
A few weeks ago, I looked up what Manitobans and Canadians are allowed to carry.

Basically:
No guns, tasers, items that can be used like guns and tasers, brass knuckles, batons (even the short aluminum sticks you can get as keychains are illegal) or stick that can be used as an assault weapon, no mace, bear spray, pepper spray or item made to act as such, no quick knives.

Basically, you're not allowed to carry anything for defensive use if it can be used offensively. If they don't allow 6" alumunium sticks, I doubt tasers will be available anytime soon. I have not been able to find if a device that looks like and/or sounds like a taser is illegal.

Hazy points:
- if you have a knife on your person which is not a quick knife, it is legal to carry as long as you have a reason to carry it (i.e. "I work at an office so I carry a box cutter on me at all times.").
- Habanero sauce in a non-aerosol container (i.e. "I was just grocery shopping and I just happened to grab it and throw it at him). This is actually the suggestion of a friend, and I think it may have some merit.

Other less-hazy point:
- police may ignore the fact you used a slightly naughty device if it's obvious you're the victim

The interesting situation this makes you consider if banning all use of these items keeps them out of criminals hands as well, thereby stopping a lot problems before they start. It probably does, though I do feel my rights to protect myself are significantly at risk. I guess it's a catch-22.

I carry a slightly naughty item (figuring I would rather be alive and deal with courts & consequences on the very small chance that something happened). More importantly, however, I carry a very aware, assertive attitude. I also just purchased a sling bag to use as my purse so my hands are free when I'm walking around.

One of the things I often do downtown when I'm alone (especially if I'm waiting for something like the bus) is pick out a respectable-looking man close-ish to my age and stand closer to them. I don't get harassed. If I'm getting creeped out by others around me, I'll even strike up some small talk with people.
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/30/2008 6:25:30 AM

One of the things I often do downtown when I'm alone (especially if I'm waiting for something like the bus) is pick out a respectable-looking man close-ish to my age and stand closer to them.

I'd probably scare the beejeebers outta the guy and get taser'd ......

PP
 romanticoptimist
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/30/2008 8:17:39 AM

One of the things I often do downtown when I'm alone (especially if I'm waiting for something like the bus) is pick out a respectable-looking man close-ish to my age and stand closer to them.

I'd probably scare the beejeebers outta the guy and get taser'd ......

ROTFLMAO! Too funny, PP. I can just see it now. PP, looking assertive and confident, walks up next to respectable looking gent at bus stop, taps him on shoulder and says,"Excuse me, sir..." ZAP!!!!!!!!!!! Psstttttt!!!!!!!!
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/30/2008 10:19:51 AM
^^^ Hahahahaha ... no kidding. You can take the girl outta the North End but you can't take the North End outta tht girl ......
PP
 susan_cd
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/23/2010 11:09:39 AM
I was roaming around the pond looking for some cage to rattle & found this old thread.

Apparently you CAN carry a small pepperspray dispenser legally but only if you're afraid of a dog attacking you, if the police find it & you say you're carrying it for slef defence in case a person attacks you, you're in trouble.

Why not allow someone to carry a taser in case an animal attacks you? Then if you happen to be attacked by a person, well, it was just lucky for you that you had this taser handy in case a stray dog happened to rush you...

Btw, I found a really neat website ( US based) that sells pepperspray thatlooks like a tube of lipstick & tasers ( not the ones that fire wires, the contact ones) that llok like cell phones
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/28/2010 10:02:50 PM
throw a pig prod in your purse. won't want more than one zap with that. which now begs the question are y really gonna have the presence of mind to dig through your purse for your tazer or pepper spray if someones slicing your throat or pummelling you with a bat?

I was always told you could one up your assailant in a case of self defence. However being canada has trudeau's version of a just society it's no surprise if we can't defend ourselves. Punish the innocent so the guilty can remain free, vehicle imobilizers are a prime example of that.
 susan_cd
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/1/2010 7:15:04 AM

are y really gonna have the presence of mind to dig through your purse for your tazer

Probably not, BUT if it's 1 of the tasers I mentioned that looks like a cell phone then chances are I'd be carrying my "cell phone" in my hand & if there was only the 1 attacker then I wouldn't hesitate in using it & ( once the assailant is twitching on the ground) kicking them in the throat.
 printer2
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:03:06 PM
If you have reason to find yourself in a situation where you need to carry a weapon you better know how to use it. Practice how to use it so the movement is automatic and when you pull it out be 100% willing to use it. Otherwise you may just end up pissing off your assailant and find yourself worse off.

Forget the kick in the throat there Susan, wonderful way of ending up charged with manslaughter.
 susan_cd
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:12:17 PM

The interesting situation this makes you consider if banning all use of these items keeps them out of criminals hands as well, thereby stopping a lot problems before they start. It probably does

No, actually it just keeps them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. Criminals by definition are law breakers & probably don't really care if the taser, pepperspray or knife they're carrying is illegal (just look how well the firearms registry keeps criminals from using & possesing firarms).

I'll take my chances & carry the taser once I get it. A friend in the US is allowing me to have it sent to her address then she's gonna repackage it & forward it to me.
 susan_cd
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:19:33 PM

Forget the kick in the throat there Susan, wonderful way of ending up charged with manslaughter.

Well, like that old saying goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

If it came to a situation where someone attacked me, I'd act on the assumption that they are planning to kill me & will respond accordingly.

And if it happened that the person I kicked in the throat has a lengthy list of prior arrests & convictions, & that gets stacked up in court beside my ( lemme do some mental arithmetic here...) 3 parking tickets ( paid) & 1 being stopped for a non working headlight ( repaired) I'll take my chances.

Practice how to use it so the movement is automatic and when you pull it out be 100% willing to use it. Otherwise you may just end up pissing off your assailant and find yourself worse off.

As I said, it's a taser that looks like a cell phone so I'd have it in my hand & wouldn't have to pull it out. Probably the mugger would tell me to give them the cell & I'd reach out to hand it to them then ...surprise!!

I have a friend with paramedic training, when I do get the taser they agreed to standby when I test it on myself to see what effect it has on a person.... it'd be awfully embarassing to use it on an assailant & only then find out I was ripped off & it just gives them a lil tingle.
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/1/2010 9:13:47 PM
haha tighten all your muscles then relax them and you'll sh1t yourself. haha then you'll be embarrassed.

you don't want t live with killin anyone no matter what the jury says.
 susan_cd
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/1/2010 10:10:22 PM

you don't want t live with killin anyone no matter what the jury says

I'd take living with killing someone who was attacking me over having someone who attacked me being charged for killing me.
 printer2
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/2/2010 3:09:21 PM
If you have incapacitated someone enough for you to decide to kick them in a way to kill them (and while you are at it why not curb stomp them) you have the capability to run away. You are talking as ignorant as some of the Americans I talk to.
 susan_cd
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/2/2010 4:12:41 PM

If you have incapacitated someone enough for you to decide to kick them in a way to kill them (and while you are at it why not curb stomp them) you have the capability to run away.

But how long will they be incapacitated by a personal taser? And suppose they have a buddy waiting in the shadows? He may be incapacitated for a very short time ( this is a personaltaser,not the type the police use), suppose I turn my backon him & he recovers fast enough to getme frombehind? By kicking him in the throat the current threat is eliminated & you can then make your escape.

You are talking as ignorant as some of the Americans I talk to.

Oh? They don't have any qualms about using force when someone attacks them either? What's wrong with that? I'm not talking about roaming the streets hoping to be attacked so I can administer some street justice; I'm talking about minding your own business & someone attacks you.

Should you try to talk to the person & inquire as to what their intentions are?

"Excuse me sir"( as you try to avoid the baseballbat or bottle he swings at you "Are you just trying to scare me so I give you my wallet,or are you planning to injure or kll me?"

The only sensible response is to 1) run... it may be an option ( thus turning your back on the attacker, not necessarily a good idea) but they may be blocking your escape route;) or 2) assume they plan to seriously injure you or kill you,so you act accodingly.

Letting them hospitalize or kill you in the hope they'll feel remorse & turn over a new leaf... well,if tht's how you want to deal with it when you are attacked, be my guest.

If someone attacks a person they view as an easy target & that victim defends themself & the attacker ( mugger or rapist,whatever their intentions) happens to get killed I'm not going to shed any tears for the attacker.
 printer2
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/2/2010 5:25:11 PM

But how long will they be incapacitated by a personal taser? And suppose they have a buddy waiting in the shadows? He may be incapacitated for a very short time ( this is a personaltaser,not the type the police use), suppose I turn my backon him & he recovers fast enough to getme frombehind? By kicking him in the throat the current threat is eliminated & you can then make your escape.

And suppose they had a grandmother that was an alien. And they had tentacles with which to snare you with.

The funny thing about actions is that they can go horribly wrong. The kids you rally against that just want to go for a little joy ride and end up killing someone never meant to have more than a little excitement.

The person with the pipe only wanted to scare someone but they end up falling and cracking their head open.

The funny thing about the Americans that I talk to, the ones that believe in justice and eye for an eye never have been in sticky situations. Then there are the one's that have and suggest putting distance between themselves and a threat at first chance.

You sound like you belong in the first camp.
 susan_cd
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:13:25 PM
And suppose they had a grandmother that was an alien. And they had tentacles with which to snare you with.

If you're going to smoke that stuff you should share. If that's meant to be a serious argument against defending yourself from an attacker then it's a poor example.

The funny thing about actions is that they can go horribly wrong. The kids you rally against that just want to go for a little joy ride and end up killing someone never meant to have more than a little excitement.

And if they do happen to kill someone when riding in a stolen vehicle.. the term joyriding is ludicrous ( I'm not blaming you, the media uses it & it IS in the criminal code) what difference does it make whether they meant to kill someone while driving around or not? The victim is still dead. The driver should be charged with at least second degree murder & the passengers with aiding & abeting. But if they're driving a stoilen vehicle & plow into your family & kill them all feel free to testify on their behalf atth etrial & explain to th ejudge there's no hardfeelings because they didn't mean to kill your family, it was just one of those things.

The person with the pipe only wanted to scare someone but they end up falling and cracking their head open.

Who ended up falling,the person with the pipe or the person they SAY they only meant to scare? If it's the person with the pipe that fell then good. If it's the victimthen the person with the pipe is the cause of the injury so is guilty. In the US ( if they haven't adjusted the law) should you be commiting a felony & someone dies during the commision of that felony ( whether thru direct action or by accident) the courts in the US consider it first degree murder.

The funny thing about the Americans that I talk to, the ones that believe in justice and eye for an eye never have been in sticky situations. Then there are the one's that have and suggest putting distance between themselves and a threat at first chance.

An eye for an eye would mean that if the attacker tasered me I get to taser them; I'm talking about defending yourself if attacked. As I mentioned in an earlier post running away from the threat can be an option but circumstances may void the option to flee. If you can't escape then defending yourself becomes more likely, and you shouldn't take half measures when defending yourself; the only safe assumption is that the other person intends to kill you .

Each situation is different of course. If escape is blocked and they're a couple feet away with a bat asking for your wallet (or purse) then you can give them what they want & see if they escalate the threat.

The point is if you have to defend yourself then plan to use the "it's either me or them" startegy & kill them ( or severely incapacitate them... thumbs into the eyesockets would probably suffice) to prevent your death.
 qbc
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/4/2010 5:09:27 AM
I think they'd be great accessory to carry, just so a date can't get away as fast :) lol j/k

................ok, that was bad ~ I'll step away now
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Legalizing Tasers for personal use ........ ?