Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > what should the leafs do ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cdn*guy
Msg: 51
what should the leafs do ?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
What should the Leafs do ??

Hire a golf pro for the dressing room.

cdn guy
 canada53
Msg: 52
what should the leafs do ?
Posted: 2/4/2008 3:54:19 PM
sell to Jim Balsille, and let someone who knows what the hell he is doing run that team. Its a freaking joke right now.
 ruich
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/5/2008 6:54:02 PM
They HAVE to do something. It's 7-0 for Florida right now and counting, lol.Poor Raycroft. Tough way to come back after being out for a couple of weeks.

It's plain to see that this franchise needs an overhaul from the top on down. They sure seem to be dragging their heels about everything this year. Oops! 8-0 as I write this, lol. Make some moves, fire some people and start rebuilding as soon as possible. That seems to be the only thing to do at this point. It's not like they are even close to being a good or even respectable team right now.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/5/2008 7:50:53 PM
Maybe they should sign that goalie on the McDonald's commercial.
"Poke check"
"Nice try No-Goal-Ov"

That ad cracks me up
 ruich
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/5/2008 8:42:32 PM
J.C. Petit? LOL! That's priceless!

Seriously, though. They should just blow that whole thing up and start over. Aquiring one or two guys isn't going to help anything. That second period tonight was all the proof anyone should need to see that the players just don't care anymore.

They need to start making some intelligent decisions. No more Wade Belaks, or any kind of junk like that.

CBC should boot them off of the network until they get their act together. Why do we keep getting force-fed this junk when the Habs are contending?
 prairie pundit
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/5/2008 8:54:51 PM
"CBC should boot them off of the network until they get their act together. Why do we keep getting force-fed this junk when the Habs are contending? "

Why should this year be any different than any of the past 40?
 ruich
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/5/2008 9:06:44 PM
LOL! Well, that's true. I've always felt that way about the Leafs. They haven't had a real good season since '93, when they lost to LA. And the excuse was that it was a conspiracy, ha ha! Gretzky never got called for the high stick, that kind of thing. Sorry. It's a 7 game series. Score a goal, for crying out loud!
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 8:37:26 AM
The Leafs have had 4 good seasons in the past 14 years. 93, 94, 99, 02 were all seasons where they went to the conference finals, but it was 93 that was their best season. The only way they got that far in 99 and 02 was great goaltending (Joseph in 99 and Belfour in 02). 1993 was by far their best season because the whole roster was good NOT just their goalie. It was too bad for the non call on Gretzky's highstick which would have won them them the game and the series in six games. This bad call was not a conspirisy as some think, it was just a missed call. Fraser should have asked a linesmen what happened, I'm sure it was very embarassing for Fraser after seeing replays. Some can argue that the Leafs still had a game seven, that's not the real point when called correctly this series is over in six. No team should have to beat their opponents AND the officials. It will probably be 3 years before they make the playoffs and 10 before they go past the first round.
 ruich
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/6/2008 9:07:40 AM
That call wouldn't have won them anything. They still had to score on the powerplay. And hold off a very potent LA offence. Who's to say that they would have? It was a blown call just like you said. Still can't believe all the whining and conspiracy theories over that one.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 9:27:33 AM
Let's face it, that call would have won them the game. If you can't score on a 5 minute powerplay you suck, and that's what a high stick with blood would be in 1993. I agree it doesn't guarantee they would have gone on to win the Stanley Cup, but I do think the missed call DID cost them this game and the series.
I think some are still bitter because it's been so long since a champion year and this one was a good year where they didn't deserve to lose. It's a tough pill to swallow when your fate is not in your control, but the officials. It would have been easier if they had blown the game themselves and not been a vicitm of a bad call. This will not be forgotten by some fans until they finally win, which may never happen.
 ruich
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/6/2008 10:03:55 AM
I am so sure that that was not the only missed call in the series. I'm sure that the Leafs got away with a few trips, hooks, etc. Especially with Gilmour on their roster. That guy was a dirty bugger. I remember watching him play live back in Winnipeg and Minneapolis. He was throwing elbows behind the play constantly! What goes around comes around, I guess. Missed calls are a part of the game. Get over it, already!
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 1:21:08 PM
Hi Ruich, I'm a Leaf fan and am over it, I was just responding to your comments. It would never have been brought up had you not said they haven't had a good team since 93. I was just correcting or reminding you of the 94, 99 and 02 seasons where they finished in the final 4. That's all
 slysterling
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/7/2008 7:12:07 AM
Cliff makes his first move after two weeks here.
Places Andy Wosnewski on waivers.
I like to think of Wosnewski as being raised in a bakery in Chicago since he loves turnovers so much; he usually gives a couple away every game. Guy must have brains like cement the way he gives the puck away untouched so many nights. He's got the size (6'4" ~220 lbs) to blossom into a good D-man, but it just wasn't happening this year for him. They should have left him with the Marlies back in October and gone with Kronwall and Strallman. Now that he's got a half season of pro experience, expect a playoff bound club to pick him up just to deepen their roster a bit. Defencemen always seem to start dropping like flies come playoff time. Can never have too much depth at defence.

Looks like Fletcher is going to be kind of like the set up man the way the Raptors brought in old timer Embree to clear out some of the no trade clauses and big contracts with the Raptors using some of his old NBA influence and rapport with the rest of the league.. Made the job a whole lot easier for Collangelo a short time later when he showed up.

Bring in the honorable old silver fox in Fletcher to talk stiffs like Tucker and Kubina and hopefully either Kaberle or McCabe into waiving their no-trade clauses.

They might as well put Wellwood on waivers as well. He apparently refuses to engage in much physical conditioning and believes his skill level alone will get him thru his career. i wouldn't be surprised to see Wellwood drop off the NHL radar for a few years and maybe go play in Europe or something where the lack of contact is more his speed.
We already have enough 5'8", 180 pound forwards being bounced off the boards and off the puck every night...Tlusty, Wellwood, Steen, Tucker, Blake...Ian White...
 ChuckChuckBoBuck
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 11:12:19 PM
Here is the blue print for a Leafs team we can love again....

Sundin traded value.. He could eaisly get us 2 young talented prospects and a first round pick

Tucker, Mcabe, Gill, Kubina, Raycroft all traded for whatever you can get for them.. I figure we can get a few mid round picks in 2009 built up for these guys.. yes, they are overpaid, but come dealine time some team will be willing to take them off your hands to add depth for a playoff run.. we need these salaries gone

Hold onto Blake for now. Next season he will return back to form, then trade him when his value is higher

Trade Antropov and your first round pick this summer for that number 1 pick.. Stamkos.. now here is the key... Have Stamkos do one year with the marlies before you bring him up

Offseason... resign Sundin for one more year, so he can retire a leaf... DO NOT TRADE HIM AGAIN... He can play with Blake and PONO.. at least we will have 1 line.. so 2009 will look pretty rough. but.. thats ok... here is why... above we built up a bunch of 2009 picks...

using whatever you need to get it done... once again aquire that number 1 pick.. Tavares time..

again in that offseason... we now have tons of cap room.. aquire a NUMBER 1 center and a Top Defenceman..

so. here is your 2010 leafs line up...
Tavares
Stamkos
Aquired Number 1 center
Pono
Blake??
Wellwood
Steen
Stajan
Kaberle
Aquired Top D
White
Plus others we might be able to aquire

Toskala
Poggy

The key here is a way to unload ... Mcabe, Tucker, Gill, and kubina and there dumb salaries... then let the team suck for 2 seasons...
 ChuckChuckBoBuck
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 11:16:30 PM
as for Tucker, kubina and Mcabe and ther NO TRADE clause... send them to the minors ot just dont play them if they refuse to accept a trade... all 3 are not performing.. so... its a harsh world...
 Kaos86
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/8/2008 8:38:08 PM
so. here is your 2010 leafs line up...
Tavares
Stamkos
Aquired Number 1 center
Pono
Blake??
Wellwood
Steen
Stajan
Kaberle
Aquired Top D
White
Plus others we might be able to aquire

Toskala
Poggy

It's that easy!

Leafs fans are the greatest!

Has anyone checked on Pucky since that 8-0 shellacking?
I am worried about him.
 mahogany_rush
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/8/2008 8:52:50 PM
Got to love Leaf fans there either loyal or incredibly stupid
Umm chuckchuck, one little problem with the guys your trading, there has to be a market for them, and this pesky little thing called " salary cap" ?

The best things the leafs can do now is start looking for caddies for the summer.
Anybody who thinks the present intern general or the new general/president is going to fix the mess JFJ made good luck ,the only the time the Leafs will ever see the cup is in the hockey hall of fame.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/8/2008 10:03:41 PM
OK Chuck there are a few flaws with your plan.

"Trade Antropov and your first round pick this summer for that number 1 pick.. Stamkos.. now here is the key... Have Stamkos do one year with the marlies before you bring him up"

The Leafs would be crazy to trade their first round pick this summer. In all likelyhood, they will finish in the bottom 5 and be part of the draft lottery. So are you saying that, say the LA Kings finish 30th, you think they are going to give up their lottery seeding for yours, and get Andropov in return? Not a chance. As it stands right now, there are only two teams lower than the Leafs in the standings. If the Leafs stay ahead of the Tampa Bay Lightning then MAYBE the Lightining will make the switch, but do you honestly believe that the bottom team is going to give up a 1-in-4 chance at selecting Stamkos for the likes of Andropov? I sure don't.

The other flaw in your plan is that you've just traded the bulk of your salary. Who is going to play for the Leafs next year? You have just traded $23M in salary. You will have to add at least half of that back, just to get to the salary FLOOR!

Nice try though
 slysterling
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/9/2008 8:41:40 AM
Leafs are gonna get themselves some barbecued Wings this afternoon and move to within 5 points of the Strangers with a game in hand.
 Kaos86
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/9/2008 8:52:19 AM

Leafs are gonna get themselves some barbecued Wings this afternoon and move to within 5 points of the Strangers with a game in hand.

Sly obviously you do not get it.

The answer for the Leafs is in the draft.
Blow this thing up.
Take a run at Stamkos and Taveras the next two years.
Beating the Wings and Montreal is just more of a screw up for the Leafs.
They have no chance at making the playoffs with this hapless crew.

How about friendly wager on todays game.
I take the Wings.
The loser stays off the forum for 2 weeks?
 slysterling
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/9/2008 8:54:59 AM
Loser stays off the 'hockey anyone' thread for two weeks?

EDIT: I'm not hearing an answer. Those must be chicken wings we're having this afternoon.
 Kaos86
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/9/2008 9:46:54 AM
I take it that was an acceptance of the terms?
 slysterling
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/9/2008 10:23:29 AM
I'll have to take you at your word that you'll stay off the hockey threads for the next two weeks. Dear old dad is in a bit of a tough spot with blood clots in his lungs down in Myrtle Beach. So what little bit of a mind I do have, it's on pulmonary embolisms right now, but since we just wupped the top two clubs in the east this week, this afternoons game should make for the perfect trifecta, creep to within 5, and keep our playoff drive alive. I mean seriously, once a team gets in, any of the 16 clubs can make it to the finals. We've seen that more often than not the last 4 seasons. carolina, edmonton, Calagry, Tampa, the Mighty Ducks of 03....

Looks like I have to drive the 5 hours to Niagara tomorrow, drop off the car at the brother in laws and catch a flight on Monday. Poor old mum is just lost down there as they have dad in a hospital some hour away from the hotel and the insurance company back here is giving them the gears. Lucky for us, i spent 18 years fighting with Claims departments for a career at one time in another life.

Imagine eh, 545 bucks to fly from here to Toronto for a 45 minute flight as opposed to a ninety minute flight from Niagara falls new York to Myrtle Beach for under 200 bucks. What's wrong with that picture?

So looks like I'm sitting with mum for 10 days or whatever and then drive their car back for them. Roadtrippin' thru the States. yeehaw.

Maybe I'll get lucky and go catch a 'Canes game. Probably not sold out.

Good luck to you kaos. Apart from today's wing fry, by the time i get back, you should have hit the 100 point mark before the end of the month.
I'm sure the prairie pundit will be glad to police the forum to make sure you're as honorable as i'm sure you are. Keep busy. Talk to you in a couple of weeks.

Go Leafs Go!
 Kaos86
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/9/2008 10:55:01 AM
Sly,
Best wishes with the family. My prayers to all of you.

I was hoping that prairie would take the bait/ er challenge also.
2 weeks off of both this and the other hockey forum....yes?
 slysterling
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/9/2008 11:23:04 AM
Thanks kaos.
He's a tuff old bird. He'll probably outlive me.

It's up to you whether you want to quarantine yourself from both hockey threads or just this one..
Me, it doesn't matter. Whatever you decide is fine with me. We should probably do both since you seldom post on this one. Two weeks off from this thread won't affect you, but on the other one maybe pucks will come back and you know how much you like to try and get pucks' goat. I have a feeling he's under the weather. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

<-------------- goes so good with deep fried dead wings.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > what should the leafs do ?