Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 26
HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
for new bee's look for the harley thread or can someone bring up..it shows we are a h3ll of a group when we are serious...but most time we are here to try a make folks smile...cus laffing makes a hurt heart's feeeeeeeeeel good.

Simply Single - you think like I do, there have been many times when the shit hits the fan on here I wish I could go back and pull that thread to let folks see what kind of people really are on this site ..... all the shit splattering aside ..... there's some pretty good stock here ......
PP
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 27
HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:07:11 PM
The folks i have met have more than shown me that they are sweet sugar cuz the ultimate is to meet these people before you know for sure..
I know each one is a deeper human then a fleeting emotion of the written word.

anger is a funny thing it often creeps into the cracks and hollows...when it rears it's ugly head it is hard for a redirect
anger is only problem solving undone frustration...most times is a fleeting thing ...but human's are human's...we all falk up we all realize no human on the planet is perfict...when you accept your not...is easy to say...oh well tomorrow i will try to be better.
I know pp can handle my intensity and not be offended...is often why i select her threads to pee on hydrant...hehehe
well what else can a girl do for a PP anyways
and TW...............omfg what a human.

shakes crackerjack box...there are comics but TW makes me laff all the falking time....is why i always look for her funny words...i love them big.
and miss linen......OMFG roar of a human...she is funny in real life and i garantee you will laff off chair...she likes smaken devil child she knows he won't go whinnin and crying like a sucky. same reason i bug our ed...he knows i am just sparin and knows i don't mean bits of the trash...like do you seriously think i bend over guys...falk me i am 105 pounds..........too funny ok i will keep glove in back pocket at functions...
do you think wer will have lube...hmmmmmmmm.

oh and karma.........well he does have a hawt azz and there is not a nicer human in real life. he likes holding title for killin threads...miss you karma...
perhaps once others meet they will realize this is a grey area to how YOU choose to define it....goodluck...if you need help and feel cornered i think we need to set up a safe word...like.......FALKOFF............rolmfao.
 SmilingOne
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:08:14 PM
The reference to HERE wasn't necessarily POF, but forum based/chat sites in general. Just like everyone else, I like to come on to the puter for shits and giggles. That's not to say though, that I don't come on the puter to get a bit of insight on something or read what other people have to say about a particular subject.

If we are going to talk about HERE, these people are real. I've seen almost all of you at an event or two. Some of you were what you represented to be online and many of you weren't. Who's to say that the ones that misrepresented themselves don't have the bigger issue? If you have to pretend to be something due the fact that you're sitting behind your computer ... well there isn't a whole lot of good things to say about you is there?

This debate will go on forever ,in every internet circle, all over the world, but since it would have been way off topic to discuss it in the pedo thread which is where I saw that comment(it has it's own issues as I'm sure everyone knows) we have this one.

Besides...now that I'm out of the Yukon (still not sure how I got there) this was a good enough place as any to rant.
 edjoecdn
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:34:45 PM
Oh come on !!!

There are the ones that think they'll gain some insight as to someone's total character by what and how they post ( bustardization of the english lang included ).

Ohhh, that is so funny. Each of you'all use this medium as what ever you choose to ! Me i'm with deviant and devilish dinkydoo..." shiets and giggles" , post passionatly and humerously... spell the words as fast as my whitto 2 fingers can type them ( while I am looking at the keyboard ).

Is it a true and accurrate representation of who and what I am ..?
Honestly ... I REALLY don't give a hoot !

Who and what I am looking for in a companion will not be as shallow or hastily judgemental .... so I consider this a "weeding out " of my own !!!

Haveing a designation, letters behind your name, a fancy suit or some other facter that you in your small minds needs or feels makes you superior.... in your own little version of reality is ........................ REALLY okay with me !!!!

Now if I choose NOT TO spell check everything i right ; or review and check for proper punctuation;,,"\ cuase I want to drive the intellects and the "a nally" retentitive ones crazy.... nuts ( yet they still read my posts ?? wtf is up with that ? )

Then I am haveing fun ... shieets & giggles !!!! lol
 funtobewth
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/4/2008 7:36:36 PM
I'm with edjoecdn,deviant.........Ppl think they know u by what u type on a comp.......Very funny.........I like to be rude sometimes just to cause shit.......If someone is going to judge u by how u type or spell .........Who cares u can be assured that if they are bothered by trival things such as that can u imagine what they would actually be like in real life.........Women have list of things the guys have to be like.......Like who they kidding........or if u don't write lots in ur profile u have things to hide......maybe it's noyfb.......Ever thought of that..........I say it like i see it be it in comp land or "real" everyone has an opinion and it's free to state......So i make use of my freedoms........lol
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 8:24:03 PM
OP - Virginia asked, is POF real - is it a place?

Virginia, your friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a POF. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no POF! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in POF! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch POF, but even if you did not see POF coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees POF, but that is no sign that there is no POF. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No POF! Thank God! It lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, it will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Oh well - maybe its not such a good analogy.

I think of POF as a place I can say is "here" - even if it's physical presence is limited to electrons. I've met a lot of the people who post and know that they are real.

As MKD said
In fact, in my mind, it is more real than a physical meeting as a tangible artifact is left behind. If we all went to a common place and chatted, it would be physically difficult to catch every conversation going on and we would all have to rely on our respective memories as to what was said. In the forums, time stands still once a post is made so each of us can read what each other person has posted and there is a digital artifact of what was said.
 platinumm
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/5/2008 3:44:36 AM
I swear Country Music has a song for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAD PAISLEY LYRICS

"Online"

I work down at the pizza pit
And I drive an old Hyundai
I still live with my mom and dad
I'm 5'3 and overweight

I'm a Sci-Fi fanatic
Mild asthmatic
Never been to 2nd base
But there's a whole nother me
That you need to see
Go check out MySpace

'cause online I'm down in Hollywood
I'm 6'5 and I look damn good
I drive a Maserati
I'm a black belt in Karate
And I love a good glass of wine

It turns girls on that I'm mysterious
I tell 'em I don't want nothing serious
'cause even on a slow day I can have a three way
Chat with two women at one time

I'm so much cooler online
So much cooler online

I get home, I kiss my mom
And she fixes me a snack
I head down to my basement bedroom
And fire up my Mac

In real life the only time I
Ever even been to L.A.
Was when I got the chance with the marching band
To play tuba in the Rose Parade.

Online I live in Malibu
I posed for Calvin Kline, I've been in GQ
I'm single and I'm rich
And I got a set of six pack abs that'll blow your mind

It turns girls on that I'm mysterious
I tell 'em I don't want nothing serious
'cause even on a slow day I can have a three way

Yeah I'm cooler online

When you got my kinda stats, it's hard to get a date
Let alone a real girlfriend
But I grow another foot
And I lose a bunch of weight everytime I log in

Online I'm out in Hollywood
I'm 6'5 and I look damn good
Even on a slow day, I can have a three way

Yeah I'm cooler online
Yeah I'm cooler online
 MissDemeanor
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/5/2008 5:30:57 AM
Trust Country Music to come up with a tune......that was hilarious and totally on point. Good one LIBYC.
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/5/2008 5:56:47 AM
There is nothing wrong with having fun, playing a role so to speak when you come in here...but-if you choose to do that, and you say it's not real, then you shouldn't care if anyone judges you. Why would you care if it's not real?

Personally, it's just not my way of doing things, but for those that do it, keep doing it, I think it's safe to say most of us enjoy the role you take on...and the splatter it creates does make this forum a lively place to be.

I know that alot of people misrepresent themselves on the net. I cant tell you how many men I have moved over to msn with, only to see them on cam and realize that the pic on POF is NOTHING like the cam I am seeing...along with other lies...but you spend a bit of time chatting and try to get a feel, and you either roll the dice and meet up, or block/delete and move on.

I will stick to just being me. Im good at being me. And I would much rather be me and have people pleased to meet me than to play a role and cause anyone disapointment.
 40andsmitten*
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/5/2008 6:20:29 AM
This place is as real... or as unreal as you choose to make it.

Opinions in threads should (hopefully) at the very least demonstrate either deep seated convictions on topics, or the need to simply be a *hit disturber, or perhaps just a desire to sit back and listen. I've met a number of people who are very similar to their "online" persona, and met others who are clearly NOT the same in person as they are on line.

We all have a great capability to act if we choose to.

There are all sort of traits we see here. Some good, some bad, but none of us are perfect beings. We're made up of good and bad stuff, all of which is part of what makes us "whole". Eventually, if you're lucky enough to love and be loved, you'll need to love ALL of the other person, recognizing that the good parts are tempered, or sullied by the traits you'd rather not see.

You can't pick and choose the things in someone to love. They exist as a whole... just like this place.
 Letsgotoamovie
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 11:10:53 AM
The video to the Brad Paisley song is like seeing POF on video!! http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcVnhNjWV0

I'm with jc, I can't be bothered with pretending to be someone that I am not. I want to be able to be me I have spent my time being Sheherazade and while I am adept at it, my experience has been that while the nurse or schoolgirl uniform can be entertaining for a change, I get bored with the same old stories.
 BiancaPink1
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/5/2008 12:51:18 PM
How is the internet not real? Not only can you converse with real people, you can watch the news, the weather, play games....It must be a fantasy world then. When you sit at the computer and connect to the internet, does time stop? Sometimes I wish it did, then I wouldn't waste so much damn time on here.

I try to be as real as I can be. What you see is what you get. I can be sweet but once you disrespect me, shit hits the fan. I am a Scorpio and we do sting!
 mrkwyd1
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 2:20:04 PM
Well, one can get into some very deep metaphysical type philosphizing on this topic.

Is the internet real?

Define your terms.
The internet DOES in fact exist. It is a communication/information hub on which millions (if not billions) of people transact in some way, shape or form every day. Paying bills, reading the news, playing games, chating with others, discovering new recipies, or learning facinating new facts ....its all here....but, where is here?
If this dang thing ain't real, then I haven't paid a utility bill in over 2 years....which is okay since one of those bills is for Internet access......

The internet is of course real (Its a bunch of tubes....made by Al gore) but there is an old school mentality by a lot of folks who need to quantify things, and let's be honest, the internet is NOT quantifiable, it has no physical location (Components of it, things that allow it to exist, have physical form) or form.
For those who were scratching their head about my "Tubes" comments, a United States Congressmen (Old guy...Zell Miller maybe, I forget) last year refered to the Internet as a bunch of tubes....I suspect because when someone explained what it was to him, they used that analogy and he took it literally.

The argument for its reality I've established, but its argument against is likely a result of its more famous stories. People who misunderstand, or don't use it much, will see it merely as a haven for those who wish to hide their identity, and then reach out to others, using this false facade for either fun or profit.
That poor prince from Nigeria who's always sending emails asking for your help...and bank account. The guy who meets the "Girl" of his dreams only to discover she's not so dreamy...or female (turns out they had more in common than he thought). Those "herbal" blue pills that absolutely do not do what they say despite their money back guarentee, I'm still waiting for my refu... uhm...I mean..
But I digress. The point is that the internet is infamous for being able to provide any type of information you'd like...provided you're not overly conerned with it being...you know...correct (Stephen Colbert artfully demonstrated this by getting his fans to change the Wikipedia entry to say that African Elephants have tripled their population in recent years). The "reality" of what you find on it (Or who you find on it) is often in question, and should ever be given scrutiny by us. From that respect, unlike a library (That is an actual physical building, filled with, what we assume is, legitmate and reputable information) the internet seems like a very unreal place.

In the end, I think it boils down to the fact that, we all know, what we know, some of us allow ourselves to be open to new ideas and some of us, do not. As my Jr. High French teachused to say "Empty cans make the most noise", and its often those folks, that annoy us, and are the most mistaken.

I leave y'all with the best line I heard a few weeks ago by some guy who called up to Power 97 and said "I'm sick of these internet dating sites like Facebook and plenty of Fish, they're for losers, if you want to meet a woman why don't you people just go to the bar and get a girl drunk."
And people say romance is dead.....and ladies...I bet he's single.
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/5/2008 2:46:50 PM
to the employers and folks who choose to take rooms like this out of context....

saying they don't like it are quite welcome to hire minds which they can control....to choose to come to a room like this and troll emplyee's shows he will hire false esteem cuz people who walk without skills to keep it in context will superseed in the act we call life.....there you go book to street...falk it.

well what ever why go there...pick out the suites and the private sector will kick your azz across the dang board...go ahead make my day.......tosses knife in sand.

and the dumb falkers can keep walkin to...........hahahahahaha

orange is that the human that is here can roll with punches without falling on floor being victum (of there past...)

cuz to walk without the skill to choose in life what is positive requires the incite to determine fact from fiction and not react to others opinion...dudaaaaaaaaaa.....rocket falking science...go ahead business play your falking cards...oh falk me i have no picture...du daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
kickin up the reality dust for all you who don't quite feel the ground with every toe yet... so much for that ball... hand over temple..tap tap...out of the park kids.... lmfao.
 MyKidsDad66
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 7:58:00 PM

For those who were scratching their head about my "Tubes" comments, a United States Congressmen (Old guy...Zell Miller maybe, I forget) last year refered to the Internet as a bunch of tubes....I suspect because when someone explained what it was to him, they used that analogy and he took it literally.

Actually, that was US Senator Ted Stevens in a speech where he was arguing against network neutrality. The scary thing is that technical neophytes like him can make idiotic statements like that and then have a lot of clout when they support policy that squashes the very spirit that the Internet was built upon.
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/6/2008 5:18:36 PM
pokes up head smiles.......pinches his azz.......
see he is a smart fishy...shaking head yes...i can not believe stuff like employers , educated human's heads could be so stoooooooopid. and the twits actually propell themself backwards...well perhaps smart guys like you wouldn't but i bet lots of them do it...and wonder why leadership gets lil respect from there ridiculous notion that clearly shows how isolated they choose to be...good means the slide will go right back to losses and then his boss will figure out and he will be sitting on bum for being so stupid to begin with.
what ever..rolls eye's yep and well
shucks. when he thinks he should dig into someones private turf is justice in the end for him....never in 10 million years is that fare...is fare pubic turf...
Is it something smart...........hmmmm well if your such a big looser that you need
to stick nose into private life then you invite experts who steal to pin your azz...cuz evil attracts evil.... instead of projecting a positive thing they project negative back to self me thinks....how far over the line would a boss go...depends how much evil is in his head...what a goof..folks work for you for money but they need to feel respected...if an employer chooses evil's like that...they bring withit the very thing they offer.
oh well guess they are thinkin that is window.../better duck or they get pee all over themself...
and the best is the compeditors who are younger will smoke them cuz they will hire the folks for the right reasons not the wrong ones...light on fire...burns out first player cuz productive empoyee's play hard...not nice. cuz happiness is in having employer respect your private life and recognize your HUMAN VALUE>>>>>
people will go a long way for a boss who stands there ground in crisis and in that is the backbone of the private sector. and know matter how much money you make...at some point you will ask if your real happy, cuz we have but one life to live.
heck shakes head....oh well time the inbreds snuffed themself out...hahahaha

once_
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/7/2008 8:49:45 AM
social retards..?.....can I use that......got a song that needs a catch line....
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/7/2008 11:33:04 AM
^^^

I dont charge too much in the way of royalties...so go ahead! LOL

I have many more if you would like to collaborate.
 ingsoc
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/7/2008 3:17:35 PM
The internet (and this site) isn't a place - it's a TOOL.

You'd think some of you around here would be familiar with the concept.

Tools.
 nishta
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/7/2008 8:47:30 PM
Tools.....Tools....that's like perfect and profound all in one word.

I have even had the opportunity to use some new Tools. You should never under estimate the value of Tools.

Tools Rule!!!!
 sally0
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/7/2008 9:49:47 PM
Not always, Mama!! I was married to a tool....but I'm feeling much better now that he's gone!!
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 11:24:58 PM

Is it real or isn't it? And it can't be real for one reason and phoney for the next. All or nothing baby, pick a side.

Its both.

Sometimes I'm joking - sometimes I'm serious. You have to be attentive enough to read me.

I read a profile today that says: "If you post in the forums - please don't contact me." There's someone who takes this to be too real.
 lilcontrary
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/21/2010 7:51:22 AM
I know this is an old thread but.... I read this comment in a forum today that "it's just the internet, it's not real". What a total disregard for the people that are interacting with you via written expression. What ever happened to common respect and empathy for other people? :frustrated:

Mary
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/22/2010 10:34:27 PM
I'm supposing it all relates to each person's definition of what real means. I'm sure there are some who only use the internet for communication which would be not that different from receiving a letter through traditional mail. For them it would be real. Others may only use it for playing and fantasy exploration(porn etc) knowing they are safe because it is not real. Others may live such a difficult life that this is their only escape from reality and there by it becomes more real to them than their actual lives.
When someone says this is not real then you have to look at the context and see what real means to them. Some people use the term unreal when they become overwhelmed with something. They don't mean that what is happening to them at the time is not real, simply that they cannot fathom the concept at that time.
My parents had 10 kids which made a family of 12. My youngest brother had an imaginary friend who was completely real to 1 out of 12 people in the household. Even an imaginary friend is real to the person who befriends him.
For myself much of this internet thing is real if i become acquainted with it, some is not real if i don't want to trust it. Wikopedia descibes itself as being user edited, that makes me not trust it yet others feel it is more accurate than sets of encyclopedia, dictionaries and thesaurus. I say it is not real they say it is, I know it exists but how many definitions are the true definition, what of it is real other than it's existence?
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real