Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I spent a month in Canada this past summer, and if I'd stayed much longer, Kraft Dinner would have been it, lol! The price of food in Ontario absolutely knocked my sox off. . . . Paying $7 for a pound of cheese that costs $4 here. . . . &c. . . .

Kraft looked better and better every trip I made to the grocery store. . . .

:54
 TheS0urce
Msg: 27
Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?
Posted: 2/15/2008 6:45:07 PM
I thought Poutine is the Canadian thing, at least french Canadian thing. I love that stuff but I rarely eat it anymore :P
Tim Hortons is crap, in Canada they have donut factories, then they ship it to a store, it really taste like crap. Their subs and sandwhiches are good but forget the donuts.
Kraft seems to taste the best, I have tried the no names and other brands it's not the same.
 rsx11s
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/16/2008 2:00:04 AM
Poutine and butter tarts are consided the only two "Canada only" foods. Agreed Horotn's is overpriced crap. There's still enough real bakeries around, and places to get real cofee that it can be safely ignored.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 5:25:32 AM
Well, it's a comfort food that many of us grew up with. Perhaps not the most natural food around, but one with fond memories. I ate my fair share of it as a kid, and when I first started out on my own.

I still like it , occasionally.

I still think homemade mac and cheese to be a better long term health choice. I've made some using layers of different cheeses sometimes.

I just make it with only butter ( lots) and the "cheese powder" , though. I don't like it the original way. ( make sure the noodles are completely drained of water though) No milk for me ( in the dish) !

And, for added fun, you can try reading the contents of that "cheese" package to see if you can find any.

It's like those "cheese slices" , which seem to be some sort of petroleum by product.
 *thebestguyhere*
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/12/2008 8:08:39 PM
If you ever had it with bacon and green onions , pepper and ketchup that's the canadian way !
 stargazer1000
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/12/2008 8:21:40 PM
It just is, eh? The takeover of American culture by Canada is progressing apace.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/12/2008 8:24:12 PM
"Tim Hortons is crap." Blasphemy! Sacrilege!

Donut factories?
 **Tee**
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/12/2008 8:26:09 PM
I know I'm going to probably get run over by some hitman after this post..

The stuff just grosses me out, sorry. I shudder to think whats in that powdered crap..

Ok, I'm going before I get killed here..
 DrewKM
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2008 11:06:09 PM
I like Timmy's. Though comming from Alberta to Ontario (downtown Toronto) There are Starbucks everywhere. Seriously, their coffee is crap! Burnt fugly junk. But the Chai lattie Tea is really really nice..expensive though
 jaemey
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/13/2008 11:50:21 PM

Kraft Mac and Cheese Dinner is associated with being a "Canadian thing"

I have never heard of such a thing... is it really that popular with people? All i can say is that we don't eat it in my house, myself and my kids think it is disgusting (sorry everyone). Thank goodness my kids don't ask for stuff like like that, or hotdogs...

Seriously though, i didn't think it was such a popular thing...
 glambles
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/14/2008 3:31:54 PM
So does anyone like the character versions? Or am I just a kid at heart?
 glambles
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/14/2008 3:33:02 PM
Oh yes, and there must be ketchup on my mac and cheese, no matter who makes it or what brand it is. So yummy!
 boyzni3
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/14/2008 6:05:51 PM
I dont think there is enough noodles in the character ones...but the spiral ones rock, and the cheese seems oranger in them...i dont know maybe my perception...
I know its not real cheese, but i like the velvetta shells and cheese so much more...
Everyone that is talking about homemade mac and cheese...what do you do, just melt cheese over or do you mix the cheese with cream or milk or something...I dont think I have ever had homemade except for melted velvetta over.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 8:00:44 PM
Homemade...easier than pie...
Pot 1: Cook mac...set aside.

Pot 2: Make roux. Equal parts fat (butter works) and flour. Stir on low heat until golden brown. Add milk. 1 tbsp. of roux will thicken 1 c. to 1½ c. of liquid. Add optional salt/pepper/slice of onion/clove (pinch)/bay leaf/nutmeg (pinch). Cook on low, stir often, until the taste of raw flour is gone.
Add any desired cheese(s).

Combine pots 1 and 2.

Eat and enjoy!

If you've made too much sauce, save the excess and reheat over a double boiler.
 boyzni3
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/15/2008 4:02:39 PM
Thanks....but i dont think I want all the spices, mac and cheese is comfort food, best simple for me anyway. Thanks though.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/15/2008 4:48:19 PM

I've never understood why people think that crap-in-a-box is better than just making it from scratch.

It's called more salt, corn sweetener, msg, and the more time I need to be on this site instead !
 Just Call Me Velma
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2008 9:29:48 AM
Um, what in the heck is Tim Horton's?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2008 9:48:21 AM
Um, what in the heck is Tim Horton's?

You poor soul....

It's a Canadian (yes, they have them in the USA too) coffee and donut store chain that was created by a well known hockey player who was later killed in an auto-accident.

Like any good Canadian idea, it grew to the point where we could sell it off to an American.

It's pretty much become a Canadian part of the landscape, with some intersections offering the possibility of throwing a rock in any direction and having a fairly good chance to break one of their store windows.

It also serves some other pretty tasty foods.

I think if you visit Canada, and DON'T at least enter one Tim Horton's , you may get your passport taken away from you. Don't quote me on that....
 Moonchild51
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2008 10:32:07 AM
lol@Montreal Guy!
You are pretty much on the mark with your comment!
I love Tim's coffee! Not quite sure what they do to theirs, but when I buy their brand to make at home it never tastes the same!

OT: Krap..er I mean Kraft Dinner? Ate is a a kid as a meal many times being the oldest of 8 kids. And admitedly I do in fact eat it still once in a very blue moon. Ketchup on top is a must!
 JoeFoShow
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2008 8:29:46 PM
The reason why Kraft Dinner is deemed a "Canadian Thing" is that is was shown that Canadians eat more of it per capita than ANY OTHER NATION. As for why we do, I haven't the slightest. However, once in a while I enjoy a nice bowl of KD. I will agree however that also enjoy the MC Deluxe White Cheddar a little more.
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2008 10:58:45 PM
Well, I joined this site for the forums. I just never imagined that my first venture would concern pasta coupled with processed cheese-like food, it's cultural implications, and the mystery of its appeal.

I think the ringing cultural endorsement would have to go to Terrence and Philip. You might say that they're powered by the stuff.

As far as the relative tastiness of the dish, it's in the palate of the beholder. I'd agree that the additives figure into its appeal as much as the core ingredients, if not more. It's news to me that it gets "accessorized" with green onions and such in Canada. Sounds healthier . . .

. . . but not healthy. Let's face it, cheese powder and fat coating elbow macaroni, while not quite nutritionally bankrupt, is without question a less healthy choice than its cousin, pasta and tomato sauce. Being half Italian, I've consumed my share of the latter, whether it be Chef Boy-Ar-Dee (truly awful), or my mom's rendition made with home-grown tomato sauce (truly sublime). Cooked tomatoes have myriad health benefits that are well documented; processed cheese food-like substance, well, it tastes good to some folks. Let's leave it at that.

A telling fact is that pasta and tomato sauce can be found in the swank-iest of eateries, while KD is not, at least not here in the States. I could be mistaken, of course, and I suppose it's possible to pay upwards of $20 for a steaming plate of the stuff somewhere. If my date chooses the restaurant, I'd like to dine at such an establishment for curiosity's sake. I'm always up for a unique culinary expedition javascript:smilie('')javascript:smilie('')
 That is mommy2
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:03:48 AM

my tot wont eat Kraft dinner.
He much prefers moms home made mac n' cheese.

I dont consider kraft dinner canadian, rather poor and lazy man/woman's food.
 Just Call Me Velma
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 5:51:42 PM
ROFL MontrealGuy...thanks for the cultural enlightenment. We don't have those in Texas, but we have Dunkin Donuts..... no clue how the coffee is though cause i just can't stand the stuff.
 MaranathaTennis2000
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2008 6:21:25 PM
Too funny. But really how can all those canadians and trailers parks be wrong?

Long live real cheeses!
 voodooguru
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2008 10:01:26 AM
My name is Steven Page and I like my Kraft Dinner with imported dijon catsup.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?